Tags Within A Search Or Notebook

When I used make a search or clicked on a notebook, I was able to filter the notes by a tag - it would show only the tags used in that particular search result. Now it shows all tags instead, so when I click on a tag (unless I'm lucky), I get no results. That feature is gone? 😞

• Like 1
9 hours ago, AlbertR said:

@Daniel IV You have to click the filter button above the result list shrink the results down by tags, dates, and content. It's not that easy like in former versions - but it works 😉

Albert, but it shows all the tags instead of just the tags used in that search or notebook. I have like 300 tags... It's a madness to find something...

• Thanks 2
On 12/27/2020 at 1:03 PM, AlbertR said:

@Daniel IV You have to click the filter button above the result list shrink the results down by tags, dates, and content. It's not that easy like in former versions - but it works 😉

as Daniel already mentioned, that‘s not the point - even some Evernote staff doesn‘t get that point - current filter shows just *all* tags, there is no hint whether a particular tag is used or not - what we need is a *real* tag filter, showing only those tags which are in use by the current list of notes.

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I'll add one more to the pile. Surprised something so essential was removed.

Oh wait, just noticed it's a year later... Any traction on this? I can't seem to find this functionality still.

Maybe there is a feature request I can keep an eye on?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We now have 5 users in this thread, and this post came after 10 month without activity. I wouldn’t call it a „pile“. I think it is a good proposal, it just does not draw a lot of attention.

Posting here will probably not move anything. Contact EN PM through the feedback function, or issue a support ticket.

I guess I don't understand this or I'm missing something, but it seems to me that it's a basic function (and not having it as a major flaw). For me the only point of storing notes is to be able to find them later on.

I have about 7,000 notes in my Evernote. I click on a Notebook and it narrows it down to lets say 300. That's perfect, but 300 notes is still a lot, I need to narrow it further. It seems like that a tag would be the next logical step, however, when I click on the tags, Evernote goes back to all 7,000 notes instead of just letting me choose from these 300.

And I'm not even talking about the frustration you get when you select a tag and Everonote says "no notes found". Well, if you offered me only the tags that were included in those particular 300 notes, I wouldn't select a tag with no notes...

I love Evernote and I use it pretty much daily. I don't know what I'm missing, but for me this seems basic and it's a huge source of disappointment. And you know what the worst thing is? Evernote already knew how to do this couple years ago...

I contacted Evernote, but since I'm like "the only one" who has an issue with this, I can't move the needle. If this drives you crazy as much as me, please issue a support ticket. Thank you 🙏.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Daniel IV said:

I guess I don't understand this or I'm missing something, but it seems to me that it's a basic function (and not having it as a major flaw). For me the only point of storing notes is to be able to find them later on.

I have about 7,000 notes in my Evernote. I click on a Notebook and it narrows it down to lets say 300. That's perfect, but 300 notes is still a lot, I need to narrow it further. It seems like that a tag would be the next logical step, however, when I click on the tags, Evernote goes back to all 7,000 notes instead of just letting me choose from these 300.

And I'm not even talking about the frustration you get when you select a tag and Everonote says "no notes found". Well, if you offered me only the tags that were included in those particular 300 notes, I wouldn't select a tag with no notes...

I love Evernote and I use it pretty much daily. I don't know what I'm missing, but for me this seems basic and it's a huge source of disappointment. And you know what the worst thing is? Evernote already knew how to do this couple years ago...

Not sure if I understand your request fully, so your mileage may vary...

If you know the filter you want, select that filter from the filter list.  Yes, you end up with a gob smack of returns that can include all folders.  Then, filter those results by notebooks/etc (upper right portion of the note view).  You can also begin from the 'all notes' view, and filter by tag and notebook, etc.  I don't always remember what notebook a note lives in, so this is a nice way for me to progressively search.  

image.png

Thank you for your reply.

Where I think Evernote falls short (and what worked great couple years ago) is that when I want to Add Filters and I click on Tags, it shows me all the tags I have ever created instead only the tags used in those 300 notes. Before it would show me only the tags used in those 300 notes and I was able to narrow down the search further.

Just out of the pictured tags below, 6 of the tags that Evernote offers me lead to "No Notes Found" message...  So why not to show only the 5 tags that actually are associated with those particular 300 notes? 🤔 

image.thumb.png.89e1230dc8f6fe89266e86627359b172.png

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Daniel IV said:

Where I think Evernote falls short (and what worked great couple years ago) is that when I want to Add Filters and I click on Tags, it shows me all the tags I have ever created instead only the tags used in those 300 notes. Before it would show me only the tags used in those 300 notes and I was able to narrow down the search further.

Thanks for this clarification. Your initial post was more general in its description but this description is really helpful. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

As I said above, I like the reminder that this feature did not make it to v10 yet.

However without promoting it via other channels like feedback and support, it is likely dying of old age in this forum thread. Which would be a pity, since it would make life easier for people who use tags (like myself).

• Like 1

For those who are interested, here are a few feature requests for this issue if you want to add your votes:

I'll also submit a support ticket and see what they say.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
On 5/11/2022 at 11:32 AM, Daniel IV said:

Thank you for your reply.

Just out of the pictured tags below, 6 of the tags that Evernote offers me lead to "No Notes Found" message...  So why not to show only the 5 tags that actually are associated with those particular 300 notes? 🤔 

image.thumb.png.89e1230dc8f6fe89266e86627359b172.png

Is there any way that you could fix this?

9 hours ago, Daniel IV said:

Is there any way that you could fix this?

It is worth remembering that there is more than one way of filtering by tag. If you already have a selection of notes e.g by choosing a notebook,  having already done a search or adding a tag you can open the search box again. The suggested items there are only relevant to the selected notes. The disadvantage is that only 6 tags are shown. If you remember the first letter of the tag, and type that in, it will further refine the suggested results.

I agree that it would be great to be able to change the tag filter (e.g. options for listing only the relevant tags and listing with or without the hierarchy). In the mean time I find the main search can be quite helpful.

And while we are on the subject of adding more tags, EN have still not reintroduced the ability to do this from the sidebar with shift+click

So there still isn't a way to 1) Go to a Notebook, 2) Select a Tag to refine the results, 3) Then see a list of only the Tags that apply to those results?

Evernote previously had this functionality, then it disappeared when it launched the big redesign a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, branflake24 said:

So there still isn't a way to 1) Go to a Notebook, 2) Select a Tag to refine the results, 3) Then see a list of only the Tags that apply to those results?

Evernote previously had this functionality, then it disappeared when it launched the big redesign a few years ago. 

Nope.

You are right, and that's what frustrates me the most - it used to work...

37 minutes ago, Daniel IV said:

Nope.

You are right, and that's what frustrates me the most - it used to work...

My solution above, which you seem to be just ignoring, works perfectly in your case where you have "5 tags" associated with the notes.

4 minutes ago, Mike P said:

My solution above, which you seem to be just ignoring, works perfectly in your case where you have "5 tags" associated with the notes.

Thank you fo the suggestions, Mike, but it does not work for me.

Just now, Daniel IV said:

Thank you fo the suggestions, Mike, but it does not work for me.

Why? If you really do have 5 tags you will see them all in the drop down below the search field. It obviously isn't a solution if you have more than 6 tags associated with the notes and want to see all of them. As I hope is clear from my post,  I am keen to see the old behaviour returned. But until then, or maybe forever, we are stuck with the functionaility that EN have provided us with. If it doesn't work we need to very clearly say why, both in this forum (which they may read) and in direct feedback (which they will read).

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

Why? If you really do have 5 tags you will see them all in the drop down below the search field. It obviously isn't a solution if you have more than 6 tags associated with the notes and want to see all of them. As I hope is clear from my post,  I am keen to see the old behaviour returned. But until then, or maybe forever, we are stuck with the functionaility that EN have provided us with. If it doesn't work we need to very clearly say why, both in this forum (which they may read) and in direct feedback (which they will read).

I'm not sure, Mike. The five tag example was associted with that particular search, otherwise my guess is that I have about 100 tags.

What I do know is that what Evernote offers me in their Suggested Filter feature is NEVER what I'm trying to find.

All I really need is a list of the tags included in that particular search so I could filter/narrow down the search...

It used to work great. 

But I've been begging for 2 year now... 🙁

• Like 1