Legacy Android version installation - there is hope!

The Android update is not an update it is a suicide note. 

For some reason, if I delete then reinstall Evernote, the legacy version is installed, then is updated.

So if you do this, then disable automatic app updates, you can keep the legacy version - which actually works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • 2 months later...

You must turn off automatic updates, then install, this installed legacy, then I did not install the very bad new version.

It was a few months ago, I'm not sure about now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

Many app owners preserve a legacy version of their application as a separate app in the android store (for example, Feedly). It's unclear to me why Evernote didn't do that. I still can't use the updated version (10) of the app due to very long startup times. It makes it's unusable for taking quick notes. I have more than 20000 notes in my account and the newest version starts longer than in 5 seconds on a Galaxy Note 9. I often may forget what I wanted to write when it starts.

So I've installed version 8.13.3 from apkmirror. Likely, it's still working and it's much more responsive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 6:44 AM, Pavel Sapehin said:

Many app owners preserve a legacy version of their application as a separate app in the android store (for example, Feedly). It's unclear to me why Evernote didn't do that. I still can't use the updated version (10) of the app due to very long startup times. It makes it's unusable for taking quick notes. I have more than 20000 notes in my account and the newest version starts longer than in 5 seconds on a Galaxy Note 9. I often may forget what I wanted to write when it starts.

So I've installed version 8.13.3 from apkmirror. Likely, it's still working and it's much more responsive.

Thanks for that life saving option!
Here is the exact link:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-13-3-release/#downloads

Works fine as at July 21
Copy or download  APK package onto your phone.
delete previous version of EverNote app.
Install old version from APK using a file manager app
The end of laggy bloatware and back to the ultra-lean powerful EverNote we love
Enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the link.

Is there any security risk, installing this not from the app store?

I get a warning on my phone saying it can be hacked and personal information taken - is this something to be concerned about?

• Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, t8769 said:

Is there any security risk, installing this not from the app store?

There is always a risk working outside the security of the various play stores. So you do this at your own risk.  However, APKMirror is well regarded and there is the link provided by Evernote to the old version. These have been used by others without problem.

Remember, Android is programmed to give you the warning so it will appear whenever you choose to install an APK manually.  If you are happy with the source of the app then you are good to go IMHO. Others I know are more cautious.

I was able to get a link to a copy of the legacy android app from EN tech support.
It is from Play Store, so I assume it is safe, they say it is.

It works beautifully.

Quick, simple, easy to use and stable

I am free, at last, of that dreaded update.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 6:34 AM, t8769 said:

I was able to get a link to a copy of the legacy android app from EN tech support.

It works beautifully.

Please share the Play Store link. I'd very much prefer to use an official version of the legacy app if it's available.

Yes, Please share the link. I had managed to install it a few months ago. Turned off auto updates, etc. Not sure what happened but EN updated to Vers 10 in the last 24 hours... Don't know if it is something I did.... 

On 7/26/2021 at 4:34 AM, t8769 said:

It works beautifully.

Hi could you please share the play store link to legacy app?

• 3 months later...

An update.  I was coasting along great with the apkmirror legacy app.  It was such a relief.  I bought a new galaxy phone. With the latest android version 11.  Doesn't work anymore. Android 11 does not support legacy. So if legacy is important to you, do not purchase a new smart phone...lol. This was the second to last straw on the camel's cart before I jump ship.

• Level 5

This combination is something I don't understand - since Notion is significantly different to EN, legacy or not.

If Notion serves you better, you should have moved before. Or do it now - but as I said, it is not the EN replacement with the best fit for a regular EN user. If it fits your need, then good luck.

• Evernote Expert

I'm confused... Google updates Android which breaks the older app and that is the fault of whom? EN is responsible for many things but not changes imposed on a no-longer supported application.

5 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I'm confused... Google updates Android which breaks the older app and that is the fault of whom? EN is responsible for many things but not changes imposed on a no-longer supported application.

Android itself has a large suite of compatibility tests. Very little ever gets removed and if it does, then with many years warning. I presume that the old Evernote app was using some deprecated APIs which eventually got removed.

28 minutes ago, marblecake said:

OK but Legacy worked, for this reason they should have kept it going.

Not that i'm saying that this was the case for Evernote, but I've known companies that have been unable to update programs because they'd lost the source code and only had the binaries available.

• Level 5

You need the code, and you need the people to get it going.

Plus the code was „native“, which means you need to code everything yourself. Today you usually use program libraries (like from GitHub) that do the functions - you plug them together like Lego bricks. When operating systems update, so do the libraries you use.

Legacy was a dead end, and keeping it „alive“ would have killed the company simply by falling further and further behind the competition. You can’t survive when you just serve a few hardcore users.

11 hours ago, kkrathi said:

An update.  I was coasting along great with the apkmirror legacy app.  It was such a relief.  I bought a new galaxy phone. With the latest android version 11.  Doesn't work anymore. Android 11 does not support legacy. So if legacy is important to you, do not purchase a new smart phone...lol. This was the second to last straw on the camel's cart before I jump ship.

11 hours ago, marblecake said:

Well I'm jumping ship too.

I have an older phone and it stopped working also.

The only reason I stuck with EN is Legacy, but as this no longer works, I'm going ot have to move to Notion.

What do you two mean with "Doesn't work anymore." and "Android 11 does not support legacy."
Where do you two have trouble? Installing, login, app not opening?

I have v8.13.3 installed on my Pixel 6 Pro (Android 12) and it's working fine. Apk installation, login (via Google account) and opening app without a problem. I can see all my notes, create new notes or edit them.

Legacy stopped working, when I tried to log in, I got messages saying not possible or it just froze

I contacted EN, they said it was not longer working.

I can download Legacy, but cannot log into my account once it is iinstalled - is there a way around this?

1 hour ago, marblecake said:

Legacy stopped working, when I tried to log in, I got messages saying not possible or it just froze

I contacted EN, they said it was not longer working.

Ok, so login is the problem for you.
EN should provide you the needed help. They probably just want you to use v10, since they don't provide support for v8 any more. I know someone not to long ago here on the forum had similar issue with legacy login and support solved the problem.

I can login with Google button or with username/password + 2 factor authentication code with no issue.

• Level 5

There seem to be Android versions that do not support legacy any longer. At least this was reported in the forum.

If this is true, it means no mor legacy - EN made it clear they will not do anything on the end of life clients.

I would say „ give it a try“. If the client installs and does not crash, think about the device limit if on Free,

If only the login fails, it may well be You are exceeding the device limit.

1 hour ago, marblecake said:

I have contacted EN many times, but there is no help.

I explained that only Legacy works and the new version does not.

They won't help me  use legacy so I must end my subscription.

thanks

Check this post from NanetteK:

18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There seem to be Android versions that do not support legacy any longer. At least this was reported in the forum.

If this is true, it means no mor legacy - EN made it clear they will not do anything on the end of life clients.

I would say „ give it a try“. If the client installs and does not crash, think about the device limit if on Free,

If only the login fails, it may well be You are exceeding the device limit.

My login fails. I am on the paid personal plan. And acc to Evernote, I can synch across unlimited devices.

• 10 months later...
  • Level 5

These are old devices. The 6S for example has less than 1/10th of the transistor count of an iPhone 14. And it is short of RAM, which means that it needs to swap with slower flash memory.

We run EN on a maxed out 6S+ (which means it has the same CPU, but more RAM). It is tolerably fast, but not snappy.

No better option than to get a better iPhone. It could be a 2021 SE, which runs last year’s technology in a budget setup. Or a younger refurbished one, from a solid vendor. Or a 1TB iPhone 14 Pro Max, if you hit a jackpot first.

• 3 months later...
Em 13/07/2021 at 18:13, Hendon Runner disse:

Thanks for that life saving option!
Here is the exact link:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-13-3-release/#downloads

Works fine as at July 21
Copy or download  APK package onto your phone.
delete previous version of EverNote app.
Install old version from APK using a file manager app
The end of laggy bloatware and back to the ultra-lean powerful EverNote we love
Enjoy!

this version of the application just keeps loading and says "please wait" is there a way to solve this problem?

On 1/21/2023 at 6:43 PM, emanuelszz said:

this version of the application just keeps loading and says "please wait" is there a way to solve this problem?

Try following this thread.  It took 2 weeks for me to get this resolved but I finally got someone in support who could fix the "please wait" problem.  I have been successfully using version 8 now for 12 months.  So there is hope!!

As someone in the above thread states, if your issue finally gets escalated to:  Ana P, then you are in good hands and she will resolve the issue.

• Level 5

Maybe I should post that the relevance for yourself is clear - not so for the other forum users.

If EN doesn't meet your use cases any longer, you leave. Hardly anything to loose a word about - or are you so proud you made the move that you need to say "Hello world, here I come". Then it might be that the information content of your post could be raised by simply telling where you go, and what are the advantages for yourself.

Ist not forbidden to talk alternatives, just the contrary.

When V.10 launched I was not a fan, probably because it moved me out of my comfort zone, and disliked the fact that Tags moved from the top of the screen to the bottom.  I downloaded legacy as security and persevere with V.10.  However after only a couple if weeks deleted Legacy as I did not have any further need for it.  Move on to now with the Home Screen, Calander Connection, Tasks and & Widgets my use if EN has vastly increased as I find new ways of working with it.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Came across this thread because I'd like to try out android v10 for the sake of having checklists synced to my phone (and a scratchpad in my Android launcher desktop would be useful, if that's a thing), but am aware that there have been issues around logging in if downgrading again.

Before I take the leap, does anybody have any updated comments on the latest Android version? Is it still bad in 2023?

For those of you failing to log in on legacy, maybe you can try this - It sounds like the company might be blocking your IP for "suspicious" activity (i.e. for reverting to legacy). If you do then please report back on whether it works or not so others know if we can try out v10 safely.

• Evernote Expert

You will, I expect, find users who think that the v10 app for Android is terrible. 

Others like me find it functional. 

I sometimes wonder if those that complain most are those that use the Android app as their primary platform. 

I mostly work with Windows and user the Android app only when I'm out and about and need to refer to notes.

I see more complaints from Samsung owners but that may only reflect the dominance of Samsung in the Android market.

Xiaomi owners are currently reporting problems with the camera in the app. I think that this is a Xiaomi issue.

• Level 5

This „EN is blocking access to legacy apps“ is pure nonsense. The same login rules apply, the same security measures apply.

Who is experiencing any login issues should take the usual steps to break the problem down: Disable so called security software, empty caches on all levels, switch to a different network (like between WiFi and mobile, or another WiFi ), restart the device.

The only difference from EN side is that we paying users get support on the actual version, but not for legacy installs.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, 217d30612be3 said:

Before I take the leap, does anybody have any updated comments on the latest Android version? Is it still bad in 2023?

I got a new (Samsung) phone recently, and so finally upgraded to v. 10. I do not find it bad at all, but highly functional. So far (less than 2 weeks) I haven't encountered the problems with sync or duplication that others have reported. I have been using it mostly at home on a steady WiFi connection. Nor have I had problems with the camera--last night I needed to update a note with half a dozen pages from a book, and I found that the Auto setting worked well to photograph just the pages and not the background, and the ability to crop before saving was very welcome. I don't discount the issues that others have reported, and I'm prepared to take my lumps if they happen to me. I have a couple of times had notes take a minute to sync, sometimes seeming to require manual intervention, sometimes just having the green "Sync me" tag retained after sync had happened. Not a biggie, since I had the minute to spare.

17 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This „EN is blocking access to legacy apps“ is pure nonsense.

With all respect @PinkElephant, we are in the Android sub-forum and what you write is wrong here. Watch your words, please.

Android devices running Android 10+ are blocked from using EN8.13.3 installations until you get access granted from second/third level support. You literally have to send them your actual IP to get your devices unblocked. I ran through this process several times after trying out EN10.X for some time. The blocking shows when log in screen does nothing after entering the credentials (discussed in this forum with "please wait"-screen). The blocking occurs after you once used EN10.X with your account. You then only can roll back doing the extra mile with EN support.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 2:25 PM, Alxa said:

Android devices running Android 10+ are blocked from using EN8.13.3 installations until you get access granted from second/third level support.

Can I take it from this that as an Android 9 user, I can revert to Evernote 8 without all of that faff if I don't like Evernote10?

• 7 months later...
On 7/16/2021 at 10:12 AM, t8769 said:

Thanks, please let me know if you have any problems with this download

Download works and APK File works perfect on Samsung Galaxy S22.
But on my Galaxy S8 Tablet i get an error, that the apk file is "invalid".
Same OS Version "Android 13"

which APK FIle do i need for Samsung Tab S8+ ??

• Evernote Expert

I think you're stuck and beyond help. If you cannot find a pre-v10 APK to side load then there is no help for you. Sorry.

As you realise, there is no support for the old versions. If it doesn't work on a device then it doesn't work. The only advice is to use v10.

15 hours ago, pbelcl said:

Download works and APK File works perfect on Samsung Galaxy S22.
But on my Galaxy S8 Tablet i get an error, that the apk file is "invalid".
Same OS Version "Android 13"

which APK FIle do i need for Samsung Tab S8+ ??

Try to download and install this one:

Screenshot_20230924-101032.thumb.png.d6624cf0bf779797ac5e12f8a513f50a.png

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-13-3-release/