Legacy Android version installation - there is hope!

The Android update is not an update it is a suicide note. 

For some reason, if I delete then reinstall Evernote, the legacy version is installed, then is updated.

So if you do this, then disable automatic app updates, you can keep the legacy version - which actually works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • 2 months later...

You must turn off automatic updates, then install, this installed legacy, then I did not install the very bad new version.

It was a few months ago, I'm not sure about now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

Many app owners preserve a legacy version of their application as a separate app in the android store (for example, Feedly). It's unclear to me why Evernote didn't do that. I still can't use the updated version (10) of the app due to very long startup times. It makes it's unusable for taking quick notes. I have more than 20000 notes in my account and the newest version starts longer than in 5 seconds on a Galaxy Note 9. I often may forget what I wanted to write when it starts.

So I've installed version 8.13.3 from apkmirror. Likely, it's still working and it's much more responsive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 6:44 AM, Pavel Sapehin said:

Many app owners preserve a legacy version of their application as a separate app in the android store (for example, Feedly). It's unclear to me why Evernote didn't do that. I still can't use the updated version (10) of the app due to very long startup times. It makes it's unusable for taking quick notes. I have more than 20000 notes in my account and the newest version starts longer than in 5 seconds on a Galaxy Note 9. I often may forget what I wanted to write when it starts.

So I've installed version 8.13.3 from apkmirror. Likely, it's still working and it's much more responsive.

Thanks for that life saving option!
Here is the exact link:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-13-3-release/#downloads

Works fine as at July 21
Copy or download  APK package onto your phone.
delete previous version of EverNote app.
Install old version from APK using a file manager app
The end of laggy bloatware and back to the ultra-lean powerful EverNote we love
Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the link.

Is there any security risk, installing this not from the app store?

I get a warning on my phone saying it can be hacked and personal information taken - is this something to be concerned about?

• Level 5
8 hours ago, t8769 said:

Is there any security risk, installing this not from the app store?

There is always a risk working outside the security of the various play stores. So you do this at your own risk.  However, APKMirror is well regarded and there is the link provided by Evernote to the old version. These have been used by others without problem.

Remember, Android is programmed to give you the warning so it will appear whenever you choose to install an APK manually.  If you are happy with the source of the app then you are good to go IMHO. Others I know are more cautious.

I was able to get a link to a copy of the legacy android app from EN tech support.
It is from Play Store, so I assume it is safe, they say it is.

It works beautifully.

Quick, simple, easy to use and stable

I am free, at last, of that dreaded update.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 6:34 AM, t8769 said:

I was able to get a link to a copy of the legacy android app from EN tech support.

It works beautifully.

Please share the Play Store link. I'd very much prefer to use an official version of the legacy app if it's available.

Yes, Please share the link. I had managed to install it a few months ago. Turned off auto updates, etc. Not sure what happened but EN updated to Vers 10 in the last 24 hours... Don't know if it is something I did.... 

On 7/26/2021 at 4:34 AM, t8769 said:

It works beautifully.

Hi could you please share the play store link to legacy app?