Evernote crashes right away, remains in crash loop

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Hi, maybe somebody here has the same issue?
I just updated Evernote to 10.5.7; right away, Evernote crashes. The error message is (translated from Dutch): "Something went wrong on our side, our apologies. Please restart Evernote" with buttons for Restart and Close. Both buttons only cause the error message window to reappear, this will only stop when I force-quit the app.
I am on a macbook air running Catalina, 10.15.7 with latest updates.

I already tried:

- uninstalling the app without deleting the files in the Library, no joy

- uninstalling the app AND deleting everything I could find in usr/lib, no joy

- checked my other version on iPhone: works fine

- checked my notes in the online environment: everything looks fine

Does anybody have any ideas?
I attached the error log as rtf

Thank you for your time and help!
Best regards,
Sander

error_evernote.rtf

• Level 5
  • Solution

Some options:

Install the legacy version
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

When uninstalling EN, use the app AppCleaner to really catch all traces of the prior installation. Doing it manually is practically impossible.

Make sure you have only 2 devices authorized, this includes the web client and the new Mac client.

• Like 1

Got msg to download the new version of the desktop app. Yay! It crashed immediately and won't load. It says EN is running. I've played that game with it before with their last update.  My old version won't load either. And the legacy version cures nothing.

Just when it was working..... hah!

EN works on my ios devices and on my desktop web-based (Windows 10). Premium user, a very discouraged one.

My scanner hasn't worked since the update a few months ago but I don't really want to update the scanner firmware bec if i have trouble from there I need to work with Fujitsu. Once the firmware is updated, Evernote does not consider it their problem any longer. And Evernote won't 'see" any watch folders to import from any longer.

Total amateur hour.

• Level 5

Scanner: EN does not consider it to be „their“ problem, if you update or not. The scanner runs on Fujitsu firmware, be it the EN edition or the plain ix500 firmware. Sure, there is no way back once you installed the standard ix500 firmware. But leaving the scanner bricked is no solution either. 

It scans pretty well, directly into EN, with a selection of profiles for different scan jobs even when running with ScanSnap Home. Fujitsu against their own communication in 2019 has now developed a 64Bit version of ScanSnap Manager that works with the latest 64Bit OS like Catalina and BigSur. It needs current firmware, but we have discussed this already.

EN v10 does not fully support scanning yet (one of the many shortcomings of this Version). So I can’t understand your opinion that “legacy would be no cure“. My ix500 Scanner works fine, current firmware, current ScanSnap Manager, import into legacy is seamless, with OCR and fast as it was before v10 hit the release channel.

IMHO it is a personal decision to persist in self inflicted misery, or choose a setup that simply gets the job done. Nobody to blame here ...

Not a brick as is. It scans perfectly well to folders on my desktop. I scan lots of photos and cards that dont go to Evernote that way. 
What Evernote has decided to do in it’s wisdom Is eliminate watch i.e.import folders, which worked perfectly well before and imported nicely into Evernote. I hope they had a good reason to eliminate tHat function.  
So I’ve decided to decline the firmware update for the time being. I can always use the lame Scannable app on my phone to scan into Evernote in a pinch. Works for a page but wouldn’t want to tackle multi page docs. Got me there.
i also dislike the idea of Evernote deciding destination folders for my scans. I have that pretty well thought out myself thank you and don’t need to undo their pre-emptive decisions if it comes down to that. Unless they’re now mind readers too.   
Do any other scanners work with Evernote? Just curious.

• Level 5

Sure, why shouldn’t they work ? 

If the question is whether they scan directly into EN, my personal sample is pretty small. My ix500 does, and I can specify as many profiles as I want. No funny actions included, just stuff like simplex / duplex, file type, resolution etc. I choose the profile, then all scans perfectly follow these settings.

On my iPhone I use Scanner Pro by readdle, which has very nice workflows to directly import stuff into EN. Each workflow has a notebook specified, and standard tags. So for repetitive scanning tasks, I have workflows that practically eliminate manual tagging in EN.

• Level 5

Scanner Pro handles multiple pages just fine. You can select, delete, repeat, move, rotate etc.

Scannable is by Evernote, but it is a much weaker scanner than Scanner Pro. It relies on EN to do many tasks, that are build into Scanner Pro. Scanner Pro is designed to be a stand alone scanner app. It even brings its own OCR. I have set it to automatically sync with OneDrive (I have a free OD with 5 GB of free cloud storage, others options are available). Sync with EN is manual, through the workflows I have mentioned. I have got it with a one time purchase, that is still honored by readdle - I think it was changed to a subscription model since. 

On 12/23/2020 at 8:12 PM, PinkElephant said:

Some options:

Install the legacy version
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

When uninstalling EN, use the app AppCleaner to really catch all traces of the prior installation. Doing it manually is practically impossible.

Make sure you have only 2 devices authorized, this includes the web client and the new Mac client.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your helpful comments! Using AppCleaner to fully uninstall, and then reinstall did the trick. Thank you @PinkElefant for this tip.
Must have been a corrupted preference file or something like that.

Good to know there is such a helpful community out there! 🙂

Best,
Sander

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue with 10.5.7 version and beyond. I was told to delete  the %appdata% folder on Windows 10 OS as mentioned below but that didn't help address the issue

1. Go to search located next to the start button
  2. Search for %appdata%
  3. Locate and delete the Evernote folder
  4. Launch Evernote again and sign in

However the latest 10.6 version seems to have released just a day ago. I installed it and haven't experienced the issue after using for over a day now. Normally I would experience the issue within the few mins of using the 10.5.x version. 

It was a great relief to see the resolution after over a month of experiencing the isue.

Hope this info helps others!!

• Like 1