Why can I no longer align images?

As per the title - I used to be able to align images in the previous version of Evernote...WHY would they remove this? Bloody Microsoft Word 95 had the ability to align images. 

I've attached the alignment button - it is now greyed out when an image is clicked.

Such a basic feature - don't run before you can barely crawl. 

image.png.0971e0a1fa2314566f535af2d0e181ea.png

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Hi.  OS? Evernote version? Device? - also: you showed the generic left-right align icon as well as the indent-outdent icons.  Do neither of these work on images?  Would it be a viable work-around to embed the images (and any text) in a table to use columns to frame a layout?

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  OS? Evernote version? Device? - also: you showed the generic left-right align icon as well as the indent-outdent icons.  Do neither of these work on images?  Would it be a viable work-around to embed the images (and any text) in a table to use columns to frame a layout?

Hi

Windows and the latest version I assume since it prompted me to update the other day. No - neither work on images, only text. It used to work on images prior to the major update. I even tweeted evernote and they said they will try add this 'feature' haha - WHY DID YOU REMOVE IT?! 

Out of principle I refuse to use some workaround with a table etc - it is 2020, aligning an image shouldn't require it. 

I will have to ditch Evernote if they can't get this right. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, or8m8 said:

Out of principle I refuse to use some workaround

Unless and until Evernote get around to adding the feature back,  the choices would seem to be:

1. live with it
  2. use workarounds - step back with the Legacy app / use tables
  3. find another app

.. entirely your choice.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 1
This is a critical feature for me.  I have loads of documents that are carefully formatted for readability and that use indentation of attachments.

Note that this omission is worse than others because it strips indentation of attachments from any note viewed.  If you view an existing note that has attachments indented in the new Evernote, then view it afterwards in the legacy version, all the indentation of attachments has been stripped out!  The only way to get it back is to re-enter it manually in the legacy version or revert to an earlier version of the note.
I don't understand how can they fail to appreciate the impact on their customer base when they release a new version that permanently strips out certain formatting information in existing notes without warning.  Not to mention that no one with indented attachments is going to try the new version once they discover that this happens. 

Alignments have not effected me so much but I have noticed a few changes to the images as well

In my case I was using Evernote a lot for images. I would capture a pic, apply a quick annotation & continue on with my day. Once home would continue to expand ideas on the note.

However, any time I apply an annotation from mobile now makes it exceed 10mb & thus I can only view the image as an attachment or download. I need to be able to see inline & should not have to download every annotated image. Very frustrated with this change. In my case the amount of friction caused is putting me in a situation where I am not sure if Evernote can be used in my workflow. Reached out to customer support but the issue is being turned into my problem.

So I can relate to the changes you are referring to. Pity as I was using EN about 25 hr plus per week.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I've found an acceptable solution, for me anyway - I've attached an image of where to change your note viewing settings. With everything now centered, it is fine and easier to read. It also makes all images uniform in size which I find helpful. 

image.png.f4aa8a7e3af5966249f394d9b050aca8.png

5 hours ago, or8m8 said:

Update:

I've found an acceptable solution, for me anyway - I've attached an image of where to change your note viewing settings. With everything now centered, it is fine and easier to read. It also makes all images uniform in size which I find helpful. 

image.png.f4aa8a7e3af5966249f394d9b050aca8.png

or8m8,

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I just installed the current version, made a copy of one of my notes that includes images (mostly created via Alt-PrtScr to capture a Window), set the Optimize Readibility option for the note, and nothing changed.  Afterwards all images in the note are still fully left justified.  None are centered, or indented as they were in the Legacy version.  For me this option has no effect. 

Is there something else I need to do to make this work? 

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 months later...

The possibility of being able to have images following text identation is important in many cases, and should be quite basic thing. I am really missing this possibility. It was available until recently. Difficult to undertstand it has been removed on purpose. Hope Evernote can consider recovering this possibility soon.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pjgrun said:

The possibility of being able to have images following text identation is important in many cases, and should be quite basic thing. I am really missing this possibility. It was available until recently. Difficult to undertstand it has been removed on purpose. Hope Evernote can consider recovering this possibility soon.

In 12 years of using Evernote I've always used tables in a note for image alignment or an attached word processor document for final layout - I wasn't even aware that any kind of indentation was possible.  If it was possible before,  it should be possible again using Legacy - or you could start a Feature Request in that section of the Forums to see how many other users agree that this is the next thing Evernote should be addressing.  Remember there are other requests out there for a large number of other functions where users consider their 'basic feature' should be (re)included to the apps.

EDIT:  Just realised the original point here was left / middle / right alignment which I agree does work in Legacy and is a basic feature for note content!  For the last few responses I've operating on the thought of images buried in paragraphs of text,  with the text flowing around them - which (AFAIK) is not,  and has never been a feature in Evernote.  Sorry for the confusion! 

If it is purely alignment that's the issue,  I'd say that qualifies as a bug and should be reported to Support if you're a subscriber  or  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if you're not...