[Feature Released in Version 10.13] Export all notes in HTML

Bojan Slovenia

Idea

I'm using Mac version v10.5.7.

I am trying to take a back up. What I did with previous version was - selected all notes and then Export into HTML, but in version 10.5.x I am unable to select more than 50 notes, when I do a "Select All". Is it any other way to backup all notes in HTML? If not, then I have to migrate to another tool, because I do not want to be locked into any platform.

• Thanks 2

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  To be able to use the previous backup options - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote (runs alongside the new version)

I believe it should also be possible to select a notebook and export at least to ENEX - which is a format other note-taking apps are able to import.

11 hours ago, Bojan Slovenia said:

I'm using Mac version v10.5.7.

I am trying to take a back up. What I did with previous version was - selected all notes and then Export into HTML, but in version 10.5.x I am unable to select more than 50 notes, when I do a "Select All". Is it any other way to backup all notes in HTML? If not, then I have to migrate to another tool, because I do not want to be locked into any platform.

Exactly, HTML export is at the top of my list, this is the most important feature that keeps me loyal to EN because my data is safe and accessible for the next 100 years since it is stored in the standard Web format.

Also, concerning note links, HTML export is superior to ENEX because it keeps the links intact between HTML notes 🙂

It would be stupid not to support this anymore, since this code already exists and is working properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, gazumped said:

There's been no suggestion (AFAIK) that this isn't going to come back - the 50 limit was described somewhere as 'temporary'...

I'm not talking about the 50 limit, but about HTML export of complete notebooks. EN promised in the release notes that they would provide extra export options, whatever that might be...

Edited by eric99
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, eric99 said:

HTML export is superior to ENEX because ...

I use html format for my backups    
imho It's superior because the html notes are read-able by any browser app   
          enex export is not read-able unless imported to Evernote (or some other app)

>>it keeps the links intact between HTML notes

Please explain - afaik both enex and html export correctly maintain the links   (evernote:///view/...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use html format for my backups    
imho It's superior because the html notes are read-able by any browser app   
          enex export is not read-able unless imported to Evernote (or some other app)

Please explain - afaik both enex and html export links the correctly

As far as I understood (from you?), ENEX drops the note ID's, so internal note links are broken ? 

This is not the case for HTML export where the links are normal HTML links between notes, you can just navigate to other notes from within a note.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, eric99 said:

ENEX drops the note ID's, so internal note links are broken ? 

Both enex and html export exclude the note-id    
My solution is to append the note-id (and other metadata) to the note contents

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

Both enex and html export exclude the note-id    
My solution is to append the note-id (and other metadata) to the note contents

Yes, html export looses the note-id as well, but it doesn't need that ID to create a link to the other note, it uses a standard URL to the other note. I just double checked it, I can navigate between notes. All my app links between notes are intact without the need for a note-id! So, this URL is an internal URL pointing to another note in my HTML export folder.

For that reason, HTML is a more complete and consistent export format than ENEX and it's readable by any web browser.

Edited by eric99
  • Thanks 1

Came here looking for a solution to backing up my data. So if I understand this right, there is no way to backup all my notes and notebooks right now? I can't go backing up each note or notebook individually. I used to be able to do it in the previous version but looks like that option is no longer available in the latest app? I am using 10.5.7 version for Windows. Is this a bug in the app or a new direction EN is taking? This is a deal breaker for me so would be good to know asap if I need to transition away to another app - better to do that over holidays...

New version: no export to html. Copying entries into another notebook NO pictures. Re-importing enex-files -> missing pictures and headlines lost. Comas in the headline "," end up as "undefined" when exporting and importing. I expect the Evernote team to fix this asp.

On 1/2/2021 at 6:18 PM, ThomasH said:

New version: no export to html. Copying entries into another notebook NO pictures. Re-importing enex-files -> missing pictures and headlines lost. Comas in the headline "," end up as "undefined" when exporting and importing. I expect the Evernote team to fix this asp.

not only comma's, also minus sign and probably other non alpha chars