Trash Search

We use Evernote for tracking work orders for jobs. It works awesome. When we finish a work order, we delete it. We never empty the trash because I can recall a work order at any time to review it with a customer if needed. 

In earlier versions, I could search for a work order number in the Trash folder. Now when I open the Trash folder and do a search, it searches in all notes except the Trash folder. 

I need to be able to search in the Trash folder. Is there a way to do this now?

23 hours ago, Stuart Bodkin said:

I need to be able to search in the Trash folder. Is there a way to do this now?

I don't think there is. If you do a search within the trash in 6.25 and then save the search you get to see the search syntax. So for example searching for evernote in the trash folder is equivalent to :

notebook:DELETED_NOTES evernote

When I pasted this into V10 I got conflicting info. It appears to have added it as a filter but then says invalid notebook. I then discovered that this happens for any non-existent notebook name.

image.png.3e31808eb2b6651897a8d56ca3d2f57b.png

Unlike when you start in a normal notebook no option to filter appears under the search bar. Similarly you can not use the filter.

There was a guarantee early on that although the search experience would change radically the search syntax would continue to work. In addition, for a trash folder to be of any use at all you have got to be able to find stuff in it. So I hope there will be a way of doing this in the future. Meanwhile the legacy version still works well.

On 12/22/2020 at 4:08 PM, Stuart Bodkin said:

We never empty the trash because I can recall a work order at any time to review it with a customer if needed. 

Having said all of that I don't really think you are using trash in the way it was designed. If you may need the note surely you should keep it in a notebook (e.g. archived_work_orders). If you need to you can exclude the notebook from searches using

-notebook:archived_work_orders

• Level 5*
On 12/22/2020 at 8:08 AM, Stuart Bodkin said:

We never empty the trash because I can recall a work order at any time to review it with a customer if needed. 

afaik There's no way to search the Trash

It's not a good practice to use the Trash for archive storage   
My practice is to leave the notes in place, flagged with tag:!Archive    
I also prefix titles and tags with "x" so they sort to the bottom of lists

• Level 5

Using the trash as archive is a risky idea. One click, and the archive is gone, and can not be recovered.

For archiving purposes an archive notebook can be used, or even better as described by @DTLow an archive tag. This tag can be used to exclude archived projects from searches, or search specifically only for archived notes.

Just made a test in EN v10.2 iOS. It was still as I remembered from pre-v10. If the trash is selected, one can search inside and only inside of the trash. I would still not use the trash for an archive, but finding things in there is possible.

9D006C57-4745-49A5-A409-89EEBFC116EB.thumb.jpeg.fa7862bce88bd9d816c186ec56a6e1c2.jpeg

On 12/23/2020 at 4:37 PM, DTLow said:

afaik There's no way to search the Trash

In which version? In my post above I explained how to do it in 6.25 and even gave the search syntax. That being said I agree completely that the trash should not be used as an archive and either my notebook or your tag method would be much better with appropriate searches to exclude the archived notes if required.

• 4 months later...

This is the most recent post I found about searching the trash. I am running a Mac with version 7.14. I started deleting the trash (about 5700 notes) doing one year each day starting with 2014 and now I only have trash for 2019, 2020, and 2021 so far. I spied something in the trash I did not mean to delete. (Maintenance notes about my car for the last two years.)

I wanted to search the trash, but cannot. The notes show the original location and single notes cannot be restored to a new location.

One thing not mentioned to the OP is that when we select multiple trash items, we get the "Move Note to" button and can restore them to a new notebook.

I decided to create a "Trash-Pending" notebook and put the trash in there.

I'm thankful we do not have to mess up our notebooks by returning all this trash to the original notebook.

I'm going to move my remaining trash to my Trash-Pending notebook and not rush to put things in trash--given that we cannot search the trash.

In seven years, this was the first time I wanted to search it and it surprised me that I could not. At least there is an easy fix.

PS I see that merging notes puts them in a new note and sends the originals to the trash. I will move notes to Trash-Pending and let Evernote move pre-merged originals to Trash.

• Level 5

Can’t test it at the moment in legacy, my Mac is down. 

From what I remember the trash could be searched as well, it just needed to be selected first. This places the search on the trash, it got searchable, and all other notebooks were excluded from searching.

In the trash notes can’t be edited. Notes need to be restored before they can be manipulated.

• Like 1