Sharing from iOS Safari doesn’t work anymore

Since last update of iOS (iOS 14), the share sheet on the iPhone – also used by Safari –doesn’t show ‘Sharing to Evernote’ anymore. It is not possible to add Evernote to the share sheet as well.

This is major pain on an essential functionality of the reason why Evernote is (was!!!) so useful.

The functionality was available for years. And was very helpful to send web pages, pdf... to Evernote.

Let’s be clear: it is the mobile equivalent of the Web Clipper, but until now it was integrated automatically to the iOS share sheet and did not need any installation but install iOS Evernote app on your smartphone.

On top of that, Evernote Customer Service doesn’t answer tweets and is more difficult than ever to reach.

Very dissapointing. Using the service for years as an Entreprise client.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • sdufaux changed the title to Sharing from iOS Safari doesn’t work anymore
  • Level 5

@sdufaux @Benflamme If you search the forum, there are other threads about this.

Share works for me, not as good as web clipper on Mac or Windows, but it works (EN iOS 10.2, iOS 14.3, iPad Pro 10.5 & iPhone 11 Pro Max)

If you don’t find it, probably something went wrong with your installation. To reinstall:

• Delete the app, choosing dump all data
  • Switch the i-device completely off, wait a little, switch on again (Apple logo must show)
  • Reinstall the app, log in, now wait until it has done the initial sync

Try in Safari if share is back. If not, select share, go to the very end in the app icons row, select more and activate EN.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And same issue here... As this is reported months ago, I have little hope this will be fixed shortly. With all the new apps, I am more and more disappointed in EN. I pay almost $ 10 a month to get more and more disappointment. Thinking of moving to free OneNote...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sharing from Safari on iPad to EN ‘works’ when you initially share the clipping. The Evernote share dialog shows that it was ‘shared’. Going into Evernote, I would find that dozens of clips I shared from Safari where ‘syncing’ but never did. Checked on other platform and the clips were not there. Re-installed EN on iPad and now formally clipped, pending to sync Safari / iPad clippings are completely gone. Not even shown as syncing anymore. Further, the trying to share a new clipping Safari/iPad I could not locate Evernote in the list of apps to share to.  Rebooting iPad, I can now see Evernote in list of apps to share to. Shared a new clip and it appeared immediately in EN. 

What I can say here, there is very poor QA at evernote. I’ve been using it for over 8 years as a premium user, I’ve seen the product go downhill.  The forums and support are also poor. Users, paying users, ask questions and get cheerful but inaccurate answers. And very little, actual help.  Get your act together Evernote or you will lose more customers, including me.  I’m already looking to export my 1000’s of notes to another competitor.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 5:19 AM, life_may_be_sweeter said:

Sharing from Safari on iPad to EN ‘works’ when you initially share the clipping. The Evernote share dialog shows that it was ‘shared’. Going into Evernote, I would find that dozens of clips I shared from Safari where ‘syncing’ but never did. Checked on other platform and the clips were not there. Re-installed EN on iPad and now formally clipped, pending to sync Safari / iPad clippings are completely gone. Not even shown as syncing anymore. Further, the trying to share a new clipping Safari/iPad I could not locate Evernote in the list of apps to share to.  Rebooting iPad, I can now see Evernote in list of apps to share to. Shared a new clip and it appeared immediately in EN. 

I can confirm hundreds of shared clipping notes from iOS Safari never synced with my account. This is the newest iPhone with all updates of iOS and Evernote for iOS. I also have deleted/re-installed EN on the iPhone a couple of times prior and it seemed to be working. As mentioned above, the QA and reliability of Evernote has become a joke. Especially a paid service that costs more monthly than either the entire Google Workspace Suite or Office 365. I've been using Evernote essentially from the beginning. Hell, I even purchased one of the OG pink elephant t-shirts and I never where logo apparel (literally, 4-5 logo t-shirts in the last decade), that's how much I believed in the mission and potential. Pretty sure I'm done as a paying customer when the current pre-paid annual subscription expires. Will simply clip fewer casually read articles and use Obsidian for note taking and written concept development.

• Level 5

If hundreds of clips never synced, you clipped hundreds of them without ever opening the app.

It crosses my mind if the problem in such a case is really the app - or it’s use ?

The Import of clipped content on iOS finishes when the app is opened. Before that the clip is stored in a temporary storage, between the app from which the clip originates (can be Safari, can be others) and EN. Temporary says it all. This concept is not invented by EN, it is caused by iOS that runs every app in a dedicated sandbox.

It is advisable to keep the EN app open while clipping (clipping as well is an iOS function, not a WebClipper by EN) and switch over from time to time, let the clips from the temporary storage import and check the result of the process.

From the EN app it needs to sync to the cloud server - this is a separate step, visible by the green corner on the notes with the  clips. When the green corner is gone, the note has synced.