THE REAL EVERNOTE IS STILL THERE!

Hey everyone - most of you probably already knew this, but I just found out - the real Evernote client is still available!

It is now called "Evernote Legacy", and it is the app we all love, useful for power users (which version 10 is not), utilizing screen real estate well (version 10 is wasting screen space like few other apps), it lacks all the stupid UI changes of version 10, and above all it does not have all the very serious bugs that still remains in version 10 after I-dont-know-how-many releases.

If I had known the real client is still available it would have saved me a lot of frustration over the last weeks.

Please, Evernote, keep "Evernote Legacy" available. I will happily continue to pay for the premium service and recommend it to my friends. Please don't make the fancy-designer-without-any-clue-on-how-people-use-the-tool-made version 10 mandatory.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*

I'm using the Evernote Legacy product   
Mac/Window users can install from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote 

The new Version 10 product is a work-in-progress    
I will consider switching when the work is more advanced and my must-have features are implemented

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, WaldenWoods said:

Please, Evernote, keep "Evernote Legacy" available. I will happily continue to pay for the premium service and recommend it to my friends. Please don't make the fancy-designer-without-any-clue-on-how-people-use-the-tool-made version 10 mandatory.

Well, in fact it is mandatory if you use iOS.

The legacy app has been available on MacOS and Windows for many weeks. On iOS, there is no practical way around having to use the "improved" version.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, ObviousBob said:

Well, in fact it is mandatory if you use iOS.

Not necessarily   
For iOS, the Legacy product is still functional    
but only the Version 10 product is available for installation
Version 10 will overwrite the legacy product; there is no option to change your mind     
Before installing Version 10, be sure you really want that product

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not necessarily   
For iOS, the Legacy product is still functional    
but only the Version 10 product is available for installation
Version 10 will overwrite the legacy product; there is no option to change your mind     
Before installing Version 10, be sure you really want that product

Unfortunately, this was not made clear when v10 was released. So now most everyone on iOS is stuck. Evernote acted in bad faith not warning us there was no going back and not providing a legacy alternative like they did on MacOS.

• Like 1

I have both the legacy and 10 on my computer, to be honest for the most part I prefer 10, it works fine for my needs and the familiarity across devices is a massive plus for me, i dont need to remember where everything is, I can just get on with things.  I use legacy to do full back ups and will continue to use it for that until 10 gets that feature. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, WilliamL said:

I have both the legacy and 10 on my computer, to be honest for the most part I prefer 10, it works fine for my needs and the familiarity across devices is a massive plus for me, i dont need to remember where everything is, I can just get on with things.  I use legacy to do full back ups and will continue to use it for that until 10 gets that feature. 

I agree, after using V10 for 3 weeks, I'm feeling at least as comfortable in V10 than V6, especially now that the keyboard shortcuts are available again. I really miss the dark theme in V6.  Since V10, I use the left note list more than the top list (which is still useful when I need a full overview of the note properties). I only use legacy for HTML backups and import folder.

If HTML export is re-implemented in V10 again, I have no reason anymore to leave EN: my data is safe and accessible in worst case scenarios.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, WaldenWoods said:

As long as V10 does not work, the comparison is not relevant. Still in v 10.5.7, many of my notes do not load, even though Evernote claims this has been fixed.

I do realize there is a lot of work to be done in V10, but conceptually it's OK and has much more potential than V6.

• Like 2

Extremely happy to report that an Evernote Support agent provided directions of accessing the Legacy version & installation directions.

After following those directions, the Outlook Clipper was restored to the system that I've come to use extensively.

Hoping Evernote Development will review that many many comments & review their decision on Outlook Clipper.  

I like many of you, don't have the time to research a replacement for the Legacy version of Evernote!

Dennis

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

On the same topic - I now discovered THE REAL, WORKING VERSION OF EVERNOTE FOR ANDROID ALSO STILL EXISTS!!

It is found here:
http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/android/google-play/com.evernote.google-play.8.13.3.1083330.allArch.6087.apk

If you are uncertain on how to install an APK package, instructions are here:
https://www.javatpoint.com/how-to-install-apk-on-android#:~:text=Copy the downloaded APK file,tap on it to install.

Earlier today, I was browsing alternatives to Evernote, as I thought I was stuck with the not functioning Evernote 10 on Android.

Now, with Evernote Legacy on Windows, and the Evernote 8.13.3 APK on my phone, I feel brought back to life!

• Thanks 1
On 6/11/2021 at 5:51 PM, WaldenWoods said:

On the same topic - I now discovered THE REAL, WORKING VERSION OF EVERNOTE FOR ANDROID ALSO STILL EXISTS!!

It is found here:
http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/android/google-play/com.evernote.google-play.8.13.3.1083330.allArch.6087.apk

If you are uncertain on how to install an APK package, instructions are here:
https://www.javatpoint.com/how-to-install-apk-on-android#:~:text=Copy the downloaded APK file,tap on it to install.

Earlier today, I was browsing alternatives to Evernote, as I thought I was stuck with the not functioning Evernote 10 on Android.

Now, with Evernote Legacy on Windows, and the Evernote 8.13.3 APK on my phone, I feel brought back to life!

you have totally saved my life with this old apk. thank you! ever since the recent updates that received a plethora of 1 star google. play reviews I've been reeling. It's been so sad to watch this app deteriorate into greedy ransomware. I've been a user since 2009

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, sagaticus said:

you have totally saved my life with this old apk. thank you! ever since the recent updates that received a plethora of 1 star google. play reviews I've been reeling. It's been so sad to watch this app deteriorate into greedy ransomware. I've been a user since 2009

Don’t know where you are „ransomed“, and don’t wish you to find out about the difference one day the hard way.

As I read it who is living off the contribution of others is yourself, happy Basic user. I have no problem with the basic model, EN offers it for reason. But I do have a problem with a Basic user who does not recognize who is paying his free ride.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Don’t know where you are „ransomed“, and don’t wish you to find out about the difference one day the hard way.

I guess the feeling is that what used to work, no longer works. And in order to get support, one needs to pay. That can be interpreted as "ransoming". Even though I don't have that view myself (the EN UI experts who have designed the EN 10 mean well, it's just that the execution is bad, as it doesn't work as expected) I can understand that it is possible to get such an impression.

I'm a paying user myself since many years, and I can testify that paying does not help at all against the badness of EN 10 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Just Imagine - real people want real money for their work. And support is done by people, not by algorithms.

So if somebody who uses the service for free, he can come here, he can solve his problems himself - or just switch to another service that he understands better. For the price of a dose of Starbucks, everybody can buy himself a month of support (and other features) - what a steal is this. But still there are people who use a free service coming here and bitching they would be taken „ransom“.

About v10: I think one must look at it client by client. The iOS client is better than anything before, same with the web client. Both desktop clients are ok, but lack some features - which is covered by the legacy app. This leaves Android, which seems to have some ongoing trouble. Not good, but part of it is likely driven by the inability of Android device manufacturers to raise the devices to a current level of OS software.

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Both desktop clients are ok, but lack some features - which is covered by the legacy app.

Yeah. But EN says the legacy app won't be active forever. If that is the case, the missing basic functionality needs to be built. Instead, they are focusing on pointless specialized functionality for newbie users, like "tasks".

21 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This leaves Android, which seems to have some ongoing trouble. Not good, but part of it is likely driven by the inability of Android device manufacturers to raise the devices to a current level of OS software.

As a software developer, one has to adapt to reality. If the reality is that the users' devices have old OS software, that needs to be catered for. If the most recent Android version is needed for the app to work properly, EN shouldn't be upgraded from the previous (well-functioning) version on a device with older OS.

By the way, I do not think Android 10.x is to be regarded as old. It takes > 40 seconds to open EN 10 on my < 1 year old Samsung Galaxy with Android 10. Forcing upgrades to such a poorly functioning app version means users lose confidence in EN. 

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, WaldenWoods said:

If that is the case, the missing basic functionality needs to be built. Instead, they are focusing on pointless specialized functionality for newbie users, like "tasks".

Each of us may have different ideas as  to "base functionality" and "pointless"   
and which product is best for our use    
If the product doesn't work for you; don't use it

fwiw  I don't think the tasks feature is "pointless"    
           however I won't use it; I use individual notes fo tasks

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Each of us may have different ideas as  to "base functionality" and "pointless"

Agree. Most likely, aiming for things that "look good" for the new or infrequent user, hoping to get enough of them to sign up for a paid plan, is probably from a short-term commercial perspective more important than serving the previously loyal power users, as they are fewer. But when the infrequent hype-aware users find another app that looks even better, and move on, EN is in a bad position if the power user base has then migrated to Joplin or OneNote because of lacking functionality /slowness /etc in EN 10.

• Level 5

I am not bothering about users hopping on and off. I have read somewhere the relation between paying and free users is something like 1:8 or even worse. If conversion of as much users as there are today happens, the relation goes to 2:7. This would create a massive surge in income.

They really don’t need to reproduce each and every feature of the past to do this. They have the luxury to know which feature was used by how many users, and how often (often being a measure for importance).And then there is the use of a framework, which make some implementations easier, but others harder. 

I think they really took v10 as a starting point, and decided from scratch what to continue, what to deprecate and what to add. Home in itself was not the innovation, but home with tasks gains relevance. And for many users to have it all in one place is an attractive addon to the existing setup.

We will see where it takes us,

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

As I read it who is living off the contribution of others is yourself, happy Basic user. I have no problem with the basic model, EN offers it for reason. But I do have a problem with a Basic user who does not recognize who is paying his free ride.

Reason I say that is because this morning I was completely locked out of the app across all of my devices. I have multiple Macs and a few Android devices. I used to use the desktop app and the phone apps and also the web interface for years upon years upon years.

Whoever is in charge at this company made a decision to only allow a maximum of two devices perhaps within the past couple of years or so on the basic account. So I would always use two apps on my Android phones and the desktop version on my Macs.

Well that completely changed this morning when I was logged out of all instances. I was trying to log in and getting nowhere keep getting error staying that I have too many devices. While I was trying to figure that out I learned that the web version is now considered a device when it previously was not.

Mind you they already took away Android web version so that limits you there. And for the Clincher they added another distasteful feature which only allows you to perform an unsync action twice a month. That is where I started to think wow how greedy are these people now.

Tell me one piece of software or app on the planet that only allows you to perform and unsync action 2 times a month because of a paywall give me a break LMFAO. I mean they very easily could have came up with and ad based route if they need to shake down the 7/8 strong community of basic accounts that bad.. which would have been a lot healthier on the user base than extorting them with these absurd releases. In case you haven't seen all the one-star Google Play reviews you might want to check that out since I'm not the only one with this mindset about these updates.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, DTLow said:

fwiw  I don't think the tasks feature is "pointless"    
           however I won't use it; I use individual notes fo tasks

That's exactly my point. There is already a perfectly working way of creating tasks. But there is currently no working way of using the app on Android. 40 seconds to start a note taking app means the app is useless. 6-8 clicks (with 10 seconds wait required between each click) for moving a note between notebooks in the Android app is also a killer. Making that work should be higher priority than launching new "features".

• Level 5

The 2 devices limit is there since very long.

The change in allowed unsyncs per month was established appr. one year ago. The web client was taken in as a device last October. EN said they count it as a device now because it got most of the features of an installed client.

Changes were made one sided, which is perfectly possible because Basic users are users, not customers. EN can always change the „rules of engagement“ for this group.

So far for the  history. 

• Level 5

@sagaticus OK, and now I have a piece of information especially for you on the unsync limit. All this user to user, I have no link to EN beside I use the service and pay for it:

EN decided to enforce this unsync rule because there are users that obviously own a lot of (expensive) hardware, but are unwilling to pay a modest amount for the service they use. They decided instead to permanently unsync one device to connect another. It always said „2 devices“, not „as many devices as you want, but only 2 at a time“.

EN regarded the excessive unsyncing as circumventing the rules applied to the Basic plan. Because of this small subgroup of Basic users the unsync rule was implemented and enforced on all Basic users - those following the rules as well.

So if you feel hit by the enforcement of the Basic rules, it is perfectly OK. Because from your own description how you used EN over the years, the enforcement is targeted to force you out of your habits, and into complying to the rules.

IMHO you decided yourself to work around. Now there is a wall build over your little private trail. So pay the fee and pass the gate, or stay with Basic and adapt your way of using EN.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, sagaticus said:

I mean they very easily could have came up with and ad based route if they need to shake down the 7/8 strong community of basic accounts that bad.. which would have been a lot healthier on the user base than extorting them with these absurd releases.

Even adding a hint of data collection for targeted ads would drive away a ton of paid users. Just the idea that EN was open to data collection for advertising would be enough to move me off the platform. While I don’t enjoy subsidizing your free account, I’d rather do that than see privacy further eroded for people who for whatever reason can’t pay. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Who has that many devices is not unable to pay his share:

… across all of my devices. I have multiple Macs and a few Android devices. I used to …

He is plain unwilling to contribute. It is exactly this sort of free riders that caused EN to toughen the rules, and make sure they are applied.

I am sure there are many other Basic users that are really unable to pay, and that now suffer as well under the stricter rule enforcement.

Those users that need note taking for school, university or education, or for other reason can’t pay have my sympathy and support. Those that only take advantage and stress the rules beyond the limit have none of it.

• Like 1
On 6/11/2021 at 8:51 PM, WaldenWoods said:

It is found here:

THANK YOU, KIND STRANGER! 🏆🏅

I've been struggling with the mandatory new Home Screen on Android. Hate that I can't turn it off, or set a different default view upon booting the app.

This lets me zip right back to my preferred layout. AND I get the old Home Screen Widget back too!

My partner thanks you, too. We've both been complaining about the updates and their lack of customization.

Legacy for life!

• Like 1
On 6/19/2021 at 6:16 AM, PinkElephant said:

Who has that many devices is not unable to pay his share:

… across all of my devices. I have multiple Macs and a few Android devices. I used to …

He is plain unwilling to contribute. It is exactly this sort of free riders that caused EN to toughen the rules, and make sure they are applied.

I am sure there are many other Basic users that are really unable to pay, and that now suffer as well under the stricter rule enforcement.

Those users that need note taking for school, university or education, or for other reason can’t pay have my sympathy and support. Those that only take advantage and stress the rules beyond the limit have none of it.

Well, the plot thickens... Beaten with the ransom stick again today. 

Just received another "Pay tf up!!" update from Evernote team this time coming for my web app version!

So up until today, I was able to use the evernote web "upgraded" version in my iMac browsers... however now they just downgraded my experience to use the old desktop version, since I'm using the legacy .apk on my phone. 

They want me to pay up Or Else!  

I used to be able to access https://www.evernote.com/client/web?login=true... which gave me the dark theme version... 

But today, I'm now being redirected to https://www.evernote.com/Home.action?login=true... which does not offer the dark theme experience or home screen.

Unbelievable. but I guess I'm not surprised since clearly this is the path this dev team is moving the business. 

Used to get all the updates for free just for being a loyal user. I guess that value has now diminished to an all time low. 

Perhaps it's time I look into some of the note app alternatives other folks have mentioned... what a colossal 180. 

• Level 5

Hope you make the switch to whatever - your posts here are amusing reading stuff, like a daily soap.

Just your story is wearing a bit thin - the loyal (uhhh) user who forgot (ohhh) for years that loyalty is a two way road. Not loyal after all, what crosses my mind is closer to greedy (?) slick (?), sorry no native speaker don‘t want to be rude.

You can continue to use the Basic plan, only 2 devices, strictly counted, only 3 unsyncs per month, strictly counted, and from time to time a nice reminder that life is easier when subscribed. Will make sure the entertainment does not end …

In a post above I thought I understood how the new version could be interpreted as ransomware. When I read the latest posts, it turns out I was wrong. The talk about "ransomware" here is apparently just unwillingness to pay for the features desired.

I find the expectation to be able to do several unsyncs, and thereby be able to circumvent the limitation on number of devices in the free plan, rather extreme.

Likewise, I find the expectation to be able to do customizations such as "dark theme" in a free plan unreasonable.

Enjoy a basic service for free. Or an even better service for a fee. It's as simple as that.

There are many, many flaws in Evernote 10. I really hope they are being corrected. But limiting users of the free plan to basic functionality, is not one of those flaws.

I hope this thread I started is not used for trying to circumvent the limitations of the free plan. If so, I apologize. That was certainly not my intention with bringing attention to the existence of the legacy version and the old apk.

• Thanks 1