Selecting more notes at once (to organize- delete, assign tags etc)

Trixytris

Idea

I need to move multiple notes in one stack, for example, or delete a large number of notes. Or apply a tag to a certain number of notes all at once.

I know this is possible from the desktop app (I can't install it- no compatible OS), but how could I do that from the web app? Thanks on advance.

37 replies to this idea

On 12/18/2020 at 5:03 PM, Trixytris said:

I need to move multiple notes in one stack, for example, or delete a large number of notes. Or apply a tag to a certain number of notes all at once.

I know this is possible from the desktop app (I can't install it- no compatible OS), but how could I do that from the web app? Thanks on advance.

Interesting. You are right the facility to select multiple notes does not seem to be in the web version. Given that the web and desktop version are on pretty much the same version numbers and that selecting multiple notes has been in the desktop version for some time I suspect this is by design. I have no idea whether this is a technical limitation or a deliberate attempt to reduce the functionaility of the web version.

9 hours ago, Mike P said:

Interesting. You are right the by return of facility to select multiple notes does not seem to be in the web version. Given that the web and desktop version are on pretty much the same version numbers and that selecting multiple notes has been in the desktop version for some time I suspect this is by design. I have no idea whether this is a technical limitation or a deliberate attempt to reduce the functionaility of the web version.

Thanks for the reply. IMHO a note app where you can't select multiple notes, it's simply useless, I thought that maybe there was something wrong with my browser or something like this. What if this is, as you said, an attempt to reduce functionality on the web app? They can do this, they do even have the right to do this, but it's nonsense, and it's just baffling to me.

• Level 5*
On 12/20/2020 at 8:13 PM, Trixytris said:

What if this is, as you said, an attempt to reduce functionality on the web app?

I didn't know that multi-select was ever an option on the web app.

3 hours ago, Trixytris said:

Well I think I will just change note app. seems the only solution.

Or you could just install one of the desktop apps - v10 or legacy - which does this easily?

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

Even if it wasn't in the past the allignment of the new versions means that there must be either a technical difficulty or a deliberate intention to keep the versions different.

The issue is that it seems to be gone from the native apps (v 10.5.7) on both Mac and Win. This is definitely a regression. Do you have any idea how to contact Evernote to find out whether this is a new feature or just a bug?

On 4/1/2021 at 17:32, mjablko said:

El problema es que parece haber desaparecido de las aplicaciones nativas (v 10.5.7) tanto en Mac como en Win. Definitivamente es una regresión. ¿Tiene alguna idea de cómo ponerse en contacto con Evernote para averiguar si se trata de una función nueva o simplemente de un error?

tal cual, antes era muy util y agil seleccionar varias notas y atribuirles eiquetas, o mover o eliminar.

lo mismo pasa con generar enlaces con archivos o carpetas de la PC (windows) no encuentro el modo de hacerlo, solo aparece con la web y con notas al interior de la app, cuando antes era muy facil incorporar enlaces simplemente usando el boton derecho

esta version nueva esta muy lejos de mejorar lo que habia. 

On 12/26/2020 at 1:07 AM, gazumped said:

Or you could just install one of the desktop apps - v10 or legacy - which does this easily?

Hi, even if this feature wasn't on the web app before, it's one of the basic functionality that EVERY note app should have, don't you agree? How can I organize my notes if I can't even select them with multiple selection? I was not saying that the web app had this feature, I thought that maybe they voluntarily put less funcional features on the web app since the beginning, to entice users to download the desktop app, but it was just a guess, I think that they spended resources and time and programmers to make that web app so it's improbable they just burned it, making it lacking of essential features. 

I can't install it because I don't use Windows or Mac. I have it on Android, multi selection available but it's impractical, I got to much notes for simply organizing them on a smartphone. 

On 1/4/2021 at 9:32 PM, mjablko said:

The issue is that it seems to be gone from the native apps (v 10.5.7) on both Mac and Win. This is definitely a regression. Do you have any idea how to contact Evernote to find out whether this is a new feature or just a bug?

That's even worse, then. I can't believe it. 

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Trixytris said:

That's even worse, then. I can't believe it. 

Long story short - EN10 is recently re-written code that they're in process of building back up to the full-featured app (including multi-select) that did exist but was coded natively for each device OS on which it ran.  So there were several versions for Android, iOS, MacOS,  Web and Windows.  There was nothing for Linux.  Some apps had more functionality than others due to the OS they were using,  and any upgrades had to be - painfully and expensively - coded at least 5 times.

The new code is the same for all operating systems,  so when it is updated you'll get the same features on all devices - including Web and (eventually) Linux.  v10 was launched a few weeks ago and is already up to 10.5 with new features and bug-fixes.  More is coming. 

For the moment multi-select is not available in the new code.  

14 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Long story short - EN10 is recently re-written code that they're in process of building back up to the full-featured app (including multi-select) that did exist but was coded natively for each device OS on which it ran.  So there were several versions for Android, iOS, MacOS,  Web and Windows.  There was nothing for Linux.  Some apps had more functionality than others due to the OS they were using,  and any upgrades had to be - painfully and expensively - coded at least 5 times.

The new code is the same for all operating systems,  so when it is updated you'll get the same features on all devices - including Web and (eventually) Linux.  v10 was launched a few weeks ago and is already up to 10.5 with new features and bug-fixes.  More is coming. 

For the moment multi-select is not available in the new code.  

Well if this is temporary, it's a new kind of situation, thank you for this infos. But multiple selection should be not treated like some sorta of extra feature, that's all. I can't even export my notes right now, so.. long story short: the stacks are stuck.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Except that you can multi select in the Windows desktop version but you can't in the web version. Although it's a common code base there are differences. As I said before this is either because of technical limitations or a decision to limit functionaility in the web version.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

Except that you can multi select in the Windows desktop version but you can't in the web version

It did occur to me earlier that multi-select might be difficult for web and mobiles,  since they only have what's downloaded to the local device to work from,  while desktops have local note records to flag.  The web version is reliant on the local browser and a continuing connection - so if you need to take a while to select a lot of files, getting all the right files flagged might be... interesting.  I'd suspect technical issues as a reason for delaying the web option.

It also occurs to me that the reason for multi tagging for the OP  might be to export notes for migration or backup,  the work around might be to look for an external online option like CloudHQ - https://blog.cloudhq.net/how-and-why-you-should-backup-evernote/

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

The new code is the same for all operating systems

I think we're seeing different front-end interfaces; desktop, mobile, web

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I think we're seeing different front-end interfaces; desktop, mobile, web

I assume that although this is all in the same 'wrapper',  the interface with the native OS is necessarily subject to some variation - and there are presumably options to allow the developers to exercise their own controls on what works and what doesn't.  I'm not qualified to comment much a on any of this - I just want it to work!! 

• Level 5

With browsers there is another variation: There are basically 3 "engines" behind the browsers. The largest is Blink, that drives Chrome and Chromium based browsers. Then there is the engine from Mozilla (Firefox), and the WebKit from Apple (Safari, plus all browsers on iOS devices). Any web based application uses browser capabilities.

So if it does not work with one browser, try another one, if possible one based on another engine.

• Like 1
On 1/13/2021 at 5:47 PM, PinkElephant said:

With browsers there is another variation: There are basically 3 "engines" behind the browsers. The largest is Blink, that drives Chrome and Chromium based browsers. Then there is the engine from Mozilla (Firefox), and the WebKit from Apple (Safari, plus all browsers on iOS devices). Any web based application uses browser capabilities.

So if it does not work with one browser, try another one, if possible one based on another engine.

Are you referring to Evernote webclippers? They don't allow to visualize notes and stacks (for what I can see on Chrome and Mozilla)

• Level 5

Yes, this is about web clipper. Here the difference between browsers is most noticeable (at least from my experience).

But it applies to the web client as well: How it behaves depends on the browser as well, though the impact is more limited.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:32 PM, Trixytris said:

Hi, even if this feature wasn't on the web app before, it's one of the basic functionality that EVERY note app should have, don't you agree? How can I organize my notes if I can't even select them with multiple selection? I was not saying that the web app had this feature, I thought that maybe they voluntarily put less funcional features on the web app since the beginning, to entice users to download the desktop app, but it was just a guess, I think that they spended resources and time and programmers to make that web app so it's improbable they just burned it, making it lacking of essential features. 

I can't install it because I don't use Windows or Mac. I have it on Android, multi selection available but it's impractical, I got to much notes for simply organizing them on a smartphone. 

Hi Trixytris,

Is the Android version you're using the new, version 10 of Evernote? As I've tried to multi-select in the Android app today and can't seem to. Assumed a long press would do it, but no dice.

Cheers.

• Level 5

No multiple selection on the mobile clients. Never has been, not yet in the mobile EN clients up to v10.4 and it is not clear from the information EN is posting that this feature is on their backlog for mobile.

Currently it is available for the desktop clients, and it is announced (without a date) for the web client. 

• Like 1
On 1/13/2021 at 5:47 PM, PinkElephant said:

Browsers are fairly standardised (apart from Safari which has been dragging its feet for a couple of years now). The particular implementation isn't that important. Certainly 99.9% of the functionality is the same between all the major browsers.

On 1/13/2021 at 5:03 PM, gazumped said:

It did occur to me earlier that multi-select might be difficult for web and mobiles,  since they only have what's downloaded to the local device to work from,  while desktops have local note records to flag.  The web version is reliant on the local browser and a continuing connection - so if you need to take a while to select a lot of files, getting all the right files flagged might be... interesting.  I'd suspect technical issues as a reason for delaying the web option.

It also occurs to me that the reason for multi tagging for the OP  might be to export notes for migration or backup,  the work around might be to look for an external online option like CloudHQ - https://blog.cloudhq.net/how-and-why-you-should-backup-evernote/

No, no, no. the web app runs locally on your computer, it just does so inside a browser sandbox (thus making it a lot safer than native apps). Storage can be local as well (browsers have a built-in local database, and evernote uses this to store information). There's no reason why batch actions shouldn't work on evernote web. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

There's no reason why batch actions shouldn't work on evernote web. 

I bow to any superior technical knowledge - but if it was easy, I think Evernote might have sorted it already...

On 3/21/2021 at 9:23 PM, Trixytris said:

Thanks to everyone that made this possible, they finally upgraded the web app, making multiple selection possible. This is a very good implement, bravo the programmers behind this choice! Cheers

but they did not make merging (for me very important) possible :(

or am I missing something?

On 3/25/2021 at 1:20 AM, gozzilla78 said:

but they did not make merging (for me very important) possible :(

or am I missing something?

Hi, I wrote a thread with some suggestions (like this one, but with upgrades) and I added the merging function as well, you can read it here:

• Thanks 1
On 1/13/2021 at 3:42 PM, Mike P said:

Except that you can multi select in the Windows desktop version but you can't in the web version. Although it's a common code base there are differences. As I said before this is either because of technical limitations or a decision to limit functionaility in the web version.

No you can't. Not from the sidebar, at least. And I couldn't care less about the new filter they have "improved". I wonder if Evernote really want their users anymore?

• Level 5

If I click in my sidebar on a tag, it is selected, set as filter, and the search window opens with that tag at the top, and the notes listed below.

Now I can believe my eyes and actions that happen to do this, or I can believe your Blabla-posting telling I can’t.

Sorry, you lost.

48 minutes ago, Thomas Eyde said:

No you can't. Not from the sidebar, at least. And I couldn't care less about the new filter they have "improved". I wonder if Evernote really want their users anymore?

I agree this is annoying and a regression compared to Legacy desktop. One can select multiple tags via the filter screen, which is powerful but fiddly and requires too many clicks IMO. From the Tag Kingdom on legacy desktop, I can Cmd-click multiple tags to search multiple notes, and I wish I could do the same on v10.

9 hours ago, Thomas Eyde said:

No you can't. Not from the sidebar, at least.

This post is about multi selection of notes. How could you select notes from the sidebar? Notes don't appear in the sidebar.

You cannot multi-select tags from the sidebar and I've certainly raised elsewhere the need to reinstate shift-clicking tags to select more than one.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Mike P said:

This post is about multi selection of notes. How could you select notes from the sidebar? Notes don't appear in the sidebar.

Can't you have notes as a shortcut in the sidebar? Additionally, v10 desktop (not sure about web) also has a convenient "Recent notes" section in the sidebar, and if multi-select were supported I could see myself using that section to multi-select two recent notes that I want to merge.

9 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Can't you have notes as a shortcut in the sidebar? Additionally, v10 desktop (not sure about web) also has a convenient "Recent notes" section in the sidebar, and if multi-select were supported I could see myself using that section to multi-select two recent notes that I want to merge.

Valid points but the original question concerned a "large number of notes" (which are not going to be found in the sidebar). The thread was then hijacked to talk about multi selecting tags which again is a valid point but not what the thread and my answer were about. My answer was correct but was not the correct answer to a question that had not yet been asked and wasn't related to the original question!

• Like 2

there are many ways to do this. a lot of note apps and applications that have to deal with large amounts of data do multi-select. it is an interface that is as old as time....i suspect the reason desktop doesn't have it is partially business driven...(probably misguided) and partially technical implementation difficulty....

but either way it is lame. I have worked in product in the tech industry for 12+years at this point and to have an app that doesn't do a basic function of the core product is not really justifiable.  

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, jonnyb said:

there are many ways to do this. a lot of note apps and applications that have to deal with large amounts of data do multi-select. it is an interface that is as old as time....i suspect the reason desktop doesn't have it is partially business driven...(probably misguided) and partially technical implementation difficulty....

but either way it is lame. I have worked in product in the tech industry for 12+years at this point and to have an app that doesn't do a basic function of the core product is not really justifiable.  

Multi-select has been available in installed desktop apps since forever, the mobile apps for a while,  and the web version has also fairly recently (?) added that function.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Oh boy: As I said in my post from February 3rd, it was back then not available on the web client, but announced.

The world is turning, EN is releasing: It now works (would have to check when it was added), just tried it on my iPad using the Safari browser.

Click on a note, hold shift, click on a second and all in between will be selected. Click on a note, hold <cmd> (Mac/iOS), and every next note clicked will be added to the selection. On Windows it will probably be ctrl/strg or alt/opt. As on desktop it will not allow to select more than 50 notes in one selection.

Feature murder case is closed, the victim found to be very alive.

• Like 1