Please start a note with cursor in the Title, not the Body text

wealthychef
Go to solution Solved by aukirk,

Idea

When I write, I want to start in the title.  I like to type a title first for most entries, then write about the title in the body.  

But Evernote always starts me in the body of the note first.  This is worse because I cannot just tab to the title field from the body.  If I were to start in the title, I could just type Command-N, type the title, hit Tab to move to the note body, and type the content, all without touching a mouse or menu directly.  This is fast and desirable.  

At least give me an option to behave this way.  Putting the cursor in the body to start is backwards because who writes like that?  :-) 

Please!  Thanks.  

• Like 3

8 replies to this idea

21 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Actually that does help a ton!  Using F2 is awkward on a Mac but much easier than mousing to the title field and clicking, in my opinion.  I can now do what I want, which is open and write a complete new note using only the keyboard.  I still think Evernote is doing it wrong but now I can just not care. 🙂  Thanks!  

You might find Shift-Tab even easier as it's easier to reach than F2 (at least it is for me).

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, aukirk said:

@wealthychef  Probably not the solution you are looking for by the keyboard shortcut F2 is "Rename", which highlights the entire title for renaming.

Actually that does help a ton!  Using F2 is awkward on a Mac but much easier than mousing to the title field and clicking, in my opinion.  I can now do what I want, which is open and write a complete new note using only the keyboard.  I still think Evernote is doing it wrong but now I can just not care.  :-)  Thanks!  

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Brendan Murphy said:

I agree.  I have found it counterintuitive when creating a new note that the cursor goes to the body rather than the note Title.  I would like to see that changed as well. 

Perhaps this will be one of the preferences when they finally bring back a preferences pane in 2021. At first I found this change a little disorienting, but it's growing on me, and it seems to be a bit of a trend in writing apps. Focusing in the body reduces the friction to get started - just create a note and immediately start typing.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Paul A. said:

You might find Shift-Tab even easier as it's easier to reach than F2 (at least it is for me).

I do indeed find that to be easier, thanks!   I would mark this as the real answer but I already chose the F2 reply.  But your reply is even better.  Thanks

• Like 2