Is there any way to stop Auto Updates

The free version I think is not much better than a Virus the way it updates so often, no idea how it compares to the paid one but Im not going to risk it. Im going to delete it soon, just trying to figure out a way to save all my info first. There doesn't seem to be any way to contact them for help or advice which is terrible customer service. i will be recommending to anyone who asks to avoid it .

• Like 4
  • Level 5

The app is the same, free or paid. There are restrictions on the service, but not on the software.

A request like „stop autoupdating“ simply makes no sense. It depends on the platform how to stop an update to happen, this is OS-specific.

So check how it it done on your Windows / Mac / iOS / Android device. The web client always draws the latest release.

Not updating creates its own set of risks, mainly from unfixed bugs and security issues. If already on v10, I would update, because the app gets better and gains features with each update. If still not on v10, it can make sense to wait some longer. For the desktop clients one can decide to run legacy, instead or side by side with v10:

• Confused 1
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The app is the same, free or paid. There are restrictions on the service, but not on the software.

A request like „stop autoupdating“ simply makes no sense. It depends on the platform how to stop an update to happen, this is OS-specific.

So check how it it done on your Windows / Mac / iOS / Android device. The web client always draws the latest release.

Not updating creates its own set of risks, mainly from unfixed bugs and security issues. If already on v10, I would update, because the app gets better and gains features with each update. If still not on v10, it can make sense to wait some longer. For the desktop clients one can decide to run legacy, instead or side by side with v10:

This is all okay. But the question is, how do we stop auto updating on our Macs. You have not answered that at all.

While we want the new features presented, it is in no way under their privilege to forcefully push updates. Updating an app is under the user's control. And that does not mean they can downgrade a user to the legacy version and make them forego all new features. Auto-updating should not be a part of the new feature bundle?

I am still testing Evernote before making a subscription and thinking of moving away from my previous note app. Everything works perfectly except this part.

The reason I need auto-updating to stop is because I travel and work a lot and I depend on tethered mobile data for my WiFi. In such situations, I don't want to waste my precious mobile data bandwidth to update an app for reasons I didn't ask for.

I believe they should implement an off button for updates like any other Mac app. 

• Like 1

+! — not only are there no MacOS app settings to turn automatic updates on/off, but the autoupdate code checks every day and if it finds none, proceeds to display an annoying "You're up to date!" dialog message EVERY DAY, interrupting whatever it is that you're doing.  What about displaying a message ONLY when it updates?   What  a wreck of a new version.  

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 12.00.08 PM.png

• Like 7

Isuru, Ive started using the web only version and will delete the downloaded version off my Imac. This should solve the auto updating since I wont have the application on my Imac. Might be worth looking at as well for you.

I was going to upgrade to the paid version for 1 month just to get access to their chat help to ask directly but decided not to.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly as wsequeira said. I use my computer for music and video production. This is a REALLY annoying feature. I would very much like options to either turn off automatic updating, or schedule it for certain times. It certainly should at least not interrupt what I'm doing. That's a horrible user experience.

In the mean time, I'm going to try using CNTRL/ALT/DELETE and task manager to see if I can stop the background process or startup service from running at all. While I was in there I noticed something very disturbing. Evernote was using hundreds of MB of RAM, and I wasn't even using the program!

evernote task manager.JPG

On 12/28/2020 at 10:46 PM, 40below said:

Isuru, Ive started using the web only version and will delete the downloaded version off my Imac. This should solve the auto updating since I wont have the application on my Imac. Might be worth looking at as well for you.

I was going to upgrade to the paid version for 1 month just to get access to their chat help to ask directly but decided not to.

I think I found the solution!

So I took some time because I was testing it.. so far I don't think it has updated itself. I installed directly from the mac app store. Not through the website download. And it has remained unchanged for about two weeks, whereas I received almost daily updates when I was using the manually downloaded version.

My mac app store is not set to auto download app updates. I am always prompted for updates through the mac app store. It has been two weeks and the app store version has not been updated.

I'm sorry to say there has been no 'logical way' to disable auto updates. I have been a premium user almost since they started and I have to say they have gone down hill as of the past few years. I am already looking to other alternatives for when my subscription runs out.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, just chiming in to say that the Auto Updates are way too much. I've been testing out the free version before upgrading, and the daily messages and updates are enough to turn me off Evernote. 

On 1/11/2021 at 11:13 PM, an6irl said:

For what it's worth, just chiming in to say that the Auto Updates are way too much. I've been testing out the free version before upgrading, and the daily messages and updates are enough to turn me off Evernote. 

Yeah, I'm considering abandoning it myself, as soon as I find another program that clips web pages and let's you highlight them. (I found Nimbus Note...)

I also want to to turn off auto update.  It is too risky to allow an update to happen in the middle of a work session where I could potentially lose access to all my notes.  It's arrogant of Evernote to assume every single auto-update will always work on every computer.  Thats why I leave updates for an off day so the risk of a new bug doesn't interfere with my work.  It has to be up to the user, you guys cannot impose when to update my computer.  There needs to be a manual switch for this function.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These desktop update pop ups are very annoying. Every time my computer turns on there's an Evernote pop up to update Evernote. Evernote team needs to give us a way to manage updates, I would like ability to turn on/off updates. This is ridiculous. 

I came here to ask about this, assuming I was just not finding the option. For it not to exist is plain ridiculous and demonstrates how out of touch this product is. I remember when Evernote was a useful, simple, notetaking tool. Now it gets in my way and makes me angry. It's time to move on. Anyone got any recommendations for alternatives?  

Ah, found this topic since it was happening to me on my Mac Mini desktop. I always leave Evernote running, since it should be that kind of app.

The interface keeps changing, and Evernote popup windows appear blank every day when I sit down at my computer. It's like having a virus... yet coming from a program that I am paying for.  I have been an Evernote subscriber for about five years.

PLEASE turn off all these updates, popups, and allow us to update on our own schedule. It's awful and I will migrate to another premium service if it continues. 

For everyone using this on a Mac and have an issue, install from the App Store, and the issue is resolved. I've already mentioned this as the solution above. But people don't seem to read and just continue to complain.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

This solves one issue, but creates new ones: AppStore apps run in a sandboxed mode, that in the past has created problems between EN and other applications when exchanging information. I prefer the direct install for that reason.

• Like 1

Every single time i start evernote i'm greeted with the screen asking me to update now or later. Oftentimes if i update, when it restarts it asks the same thing again. I'm using evernote daily, hourly in fact - for me this is totally unacceptable.

Also, with the new version, the desktop client is basically a skinned chrome. If you press F12 the chrome console will pop up, confirming it (on windows at least that's the case). The only good update the new version brought was dark mode - apart from that it's been a major downgrade in my experience.

Has anyone found a good alternative? I just need synced notes, a clean ui and good tagging/organizing features.

• 2 weeks later...

My whole workflow is being interrupted by these "update" messages. If the app takes a long time to launch because it is checking for updates or installing them, then I'll simply stop using Evernote and recommend others to uninstall it, too.

Version 10.7.6-win-ddl-public (2321) has a very serious bug:
I cannot paste using my right mouse button (to get a context menu)...
I want to install a previous version, but it keeps updating to the new one.
I don't want to be forced to install a bugged version!!
Can you please stop doing that and allow us not to install the lattest bugged version?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Agreed-EN should implement an opt-in timeframe for updates so users can choose when to update.  

(1) Being interrupted in the middle of workflow (got a “database update” or something like that yesterday that prevented me accessing EN to respond to a pressing question for several minutes) or (2) having a major bug (like the one that shut down all EN search function after an update last week) is just not acceptable.  

Make the updates mandatory after a certain time, ok.  But give us a chance to time them for ourselves first.

And, yes, those too-frequent cheery, newsy push announcements are really annoying.  Send me an email.

I wouldn't mind this if it was occasional, but the frequency of this nag screens is way out of bounds. 

If you want to force updates, do it in the background, otherwise please don't nag users constantly or at least give them control over it. 

• 1 month later...
On 24.12.2020 at 00:35, PinkElephant said:

Uygulama aynı, ücretsiz veya ücretli. Hizmette kısıtlamalar vardır ancak yazılımda kısıtlamalar yoktur.

"Otomatik güncellemeyi durdur" gibi bir istek hiçbir anlam ifade etmiyor. Bir güncellemenin gerçekleşmesini nasıl durduracağı platforma bağlıdır, bu işletim sistemine özgüdür.

Bu yüzden Windows / Mac / iOS / Android cihazınızda nasıl yapıldığını kontrol edin. Web istemcisi her zaman en son sürümü çizer.

Güncelleme yapmamak, esas olarak düzeltilmemiş hatalar ve güvenlik sorunlarından kaynaklanan kendi risk kümesini oluşturur. Zaten v10 kullanıyorsanız, güncelleme yapardım, çünkü uygulama daha iyi hale gelir ve her güncellemede özellikler kazanır. Hala v10'da değilse, biraz daha beklemek mantıklı olabilir. Masaüstü istemcileri için v10 ile birlikte veya yan yana eski sürümü çalıştırmaya karar verilebilir:

Güncelleme yapmamak daha mantıklı. Çünkü her güncelleme de program çok daha kötü oluyor. v8e geçtim kafam rahat. Pdfler ve jpegler işlenebiliyor ve program çok hızlı.

• 2 weeks later...

Signed up for an account on this forum to bump this up. I'm finding a new notes platform if there isnt a toggle to turn off auto update prompts. Blows my mind auto updates cant be turned off and that they keep prompting it when I need a notes app that is always ready, not a notes apps that is always not ready and is always prompting me to update, how is this a good idea?

Anybody that sees winds up here trying to turn off automatic updates, please go upvote (as opposed to liking the comment) the feature request to turn off automatic updates at