Is there any way to stop Auto Updates

40below

Idea

92 replies to this idea

I'm sorry to say there has been no 'logical way' to disable auto updates. I have been a premium user almost since they started and I have to say they have gone down hill as of the past few years. I am already looking to other alternatives for when my subscription runs out.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, just chiming in to say that the Auto Updates are way too much. I've been testing out the free version before upgrading, and the daily messages and updates are enough to turn me off Evernote. 

I also want to to turn off auto update.  It is too risky to allow an update to happen in the middle of a work session where I could potentially lose access to all my notes.  It's arrogant of Evernote to assume every single auto-update will always work on every computer.  Thats why I leave updates for an off day so the risk of a new bug doesn't interfere with my work.  It has to be up to the user, you guys cannot impose when to update my computer.  There needs to be a manual switch for this function.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These desktop update pop ups are very annoying. Every time my computer turns on there's an Evernote pop up to update Evernote. Evernote team needs to give us a way to manage updates, I would like ability to turn on/off updates. This is ridiculous. 

Ah, found this topic since it was happening to me on my Mac Mini desktop. I always leave Evernote running, since it should be that kind of app.

The interface keeps changing, and Evernote popup windows appear blank every day when I sit down at my computer. It's like having a virus... yet coming from a program that I am paying for.  I have been an Evernote subscriber for about five years.

PLEASE turn off all these updates, popups, and allow us to update on our own schedule. It's awful and I will migrate to another premium service if it continues. 

I'm completely burnt out on these all-too-common annoying pop-ups about updating when I am just trying to use this note taking software.

At the very least PLEASE give us the option to disable the annoying pop up, or perhaps a checkbox "don't remind me for 14 days, or don't remind me for this version or ANYTHING to help with this. Evernote is literally the only software with 2003ish style pop-up annoyingness that can't be controlled.

Perhaps moving the notification somewhere else? Anything other than a "forced" pop up. PLEASE it's so maddening I'm just trying to take a note not install updates or dismiss pop ups all the time.

Its not about the install itself, thats not the main problem.   Its about what could happen when you do it at the wrong time.  There could be an issue with the install and the app wont even boot up after reboot (its happened to me)  And there could be a major upgrade to features that change my workflow and if this happens in the middle of a super tight deadline this could be extremely disrupting.  This has also happened to me, when they introduced that new home page it came to me at a terrible time and i couldn't access my notes like I was expecting to.  I didn't have time at that moment to browse the cool new features because I had my own work to finish that day.  Thats why you never update an app in the middle of a job.  Any app, not just evernote.  

The free version I think is not much better than a Virus the way it updates so often, no idea how it compares to the paid one but Im not going to risk it. Im going to delete it soon, just trying to figure out a way to save all my info first. There doesn't seem to be any way to contact them for help or advice which is terrible customer service. i will be recommending to anyone who asks to avoid it .

• Like 4
  • Level 5

The app is the same, free or paid. There are restrictions on the service, but not on the software.

A request like „stop autoupdating“ simply makes no sense. It depends on the platform how to stop an update to happen, this is OS-specific.

So check how it it done on your Windows / Mac / iOS / Android device. The web client always draws the latest release.

Not updating creates its own set of risks, mainly from unfixed bugs and security issues. If already on v10, I would update, because the app gets better and gains features with each update. If still not on v10, it can make sense to wait some longer. For the desktop clients one can decide to run legacy, instead or side by side with v10:

• Confused 1
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The app is the same, free or paid. There are restrictions on the service, but not on the software.

A request like „stop autoupdating“ simply makes no sense. It depends on the platform how to stop an update to happen, this is OS-specific.

So check how it it done on your Windows / Mac / iOS / Android device. The web client always draws the latest release.

Not updating creates its own set of risks, mainly from unfixed bugs and security issues. If already on v10, I would update, because the app gets better and gains features with each update. If still not on v10, it can make sense to wait some longer. For the desktop clients one can decide to run legacy, instead or side by side with v10:

This is all okay. But the question is, how do we stop auto updating on our Macs. You have not answered that at all.

While we want the new features presented, it is in no way under their privilege to forcefully push updates. Updating an app is under the user's control. And that does not mean they can downgrade a user to the legacy version and make them forego all new features. Auto-updating should not be a part of the new feature bundle?

I am still testing Evernote before making a subscription and thinking of moving away from my previous note app. Everything works perfectly except this part.

The reason I need auto-updating to stop is because I travel and work a lot and I depend on tethered mobile data for my WiFi. In such situations, I don't want to waste my precious mobile data bandwidth to update an app for reasons I didn't ask for.

I believe they should implement an off button for updates like any other Mac app. 

• Like 1

+! — not only are there no MacOS app settings to turn automatic updates on/off, but the autoupdate code checks every day and if it finds none, proceeds to display an annoying "You're up to date!" dialog message EVERY DAY, interrupting whatever it is that you're doing.  What about displaying a message ONLY when it updates?   What  a wreck of a new version.  

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 12.00.08 PM.png

• Like 8

Isuru, Ive started using the web only version and will delete the downloaded version off my Imac. This should solve the auto updating since I wont have the application on my Imac. Might be worth looking at as well for you.

I was going to upgrade to the paid version for 1 month just to get access to their chat help to ask directly but decided not to.

Exactly as wsequeira said. I use my computer for music and video production. This is a REALLY annoying feature. I would very much like options to either turn off automatic updating, or schedule it for certain times. It certainly should at least not interrupt what I'm doing. That's a horrible user experience.

In the mean time, I'm going to try using CNTRL/ALT/DELETE and task manager to see if I can stop the background process or startup service from running at all. While I was in there I noticed something very disturbing. Evernote was using hundreds of MB of RAM, and I wasn't even using the program!

evernote task manager.JPG

• Like 1
On 12/28/2020 at 10:46 PM, 40below said:

Isuru, Ive started using the web only version and will delete the downloaded version off my Imac. This should solve the auto updating since I wont have the application on my Imac. Might be worth looking at as well for you.

I was going to upgrade to the paid version for 1 month just to get access to their chat help to ask directly but decided not to.

I think I found the solution!

So I took some time because I was testing it.. so far I don't think it has updated itself. I installed directly from the mac app store. Not through the website download. And it has remained unchanged for about two weeks, whereas I received almost daily updates when I was using the manually downloaded version.

My mac app store is not set to auto download app updates. I am always prompted for updates through the mac app store. It has been two weeks and the app store version has not been updated.

On 1/11/2021 at 11:13 PM, an6irl said:

For what it's worth, just chiming in to say that the Auto Updates are way too much. I've been testing out the free version before upgrading, and the daily messages and updates are enough to turn me off Evernote. 

Yeah, I'm considering abandoning it myself, as soon as I find another program that clips web pages and let's you highlight them. (I found Nimbus Note...)

I came here to ask about this, assuming I was just not finding the option. For it not to exist is plain ridiculous and demonstrates how out of touch this product is. I remember when Evernote was a useful, simple, notetaking tool. Now it gets in my way and makes me angry. It's time to move on. Anyone got any recommendations for alternatives?  

For everyone using this on a Mac and have an issue, install from the App Store, and the issue is resolved. I've already mentioned this as the solution above. But people don't seem to read and just continue to complain.

• Like 3

Every single time i start evernote i'm greeted with the screen asking me to update now or later. Oftentimes if i update, when it restarts it asks the same thing again. I'm using evernote daily, hourly in fact - for me this is totally unacceptable.

Also, with the new version, the desktop client is basically a skinned chrome. If you press F12 the chrome console will pop up, confirming it (on windows at least that's the case). The only good update the new version brought was dark mode - apart from that it's been a major downgrade in my experience.

Has anyone found a good alternative? I just need synced notes, a clean ui and good tagging/organizing features.

• Like 1

My whole workflow is being interrupted by these "update" messages. If the app takes a long time to launch because it is checking for updates or installing them, then I'll simply stop using Evernote and recommend others to uninstall it, too.

• Like 1

Version 10.7.6-win-ddl-public (2321) has a very serious bug:
I cannot paste using my right mouse button (to get a context menu)...
I want to install a previous version, but it keeps updating to the new one.
I don't want to be forced to install a bugged version!!
Can you please stop doing that and allow us not to install the lattest bugged version?

• Like 1

Agreed-EN should implement an opt-in timeframe for updates so users can choose when to update.  

(1) Being interrupted in the middle of workflow (got a “database update” or something like that yesterday that prevented me accessing EN to respond to a pressing question for several minutes) or (2) having a major bug (like the one that shut down all EN search function after an update last week) is just not acceptable.  

Make the updates mandatory after a certain time, ok.  But give us a chance to time them for ourselves first.

And, yes, those too-frequent cheery, newsy push announcements are really annoying.  Send me an email.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind this if it was occasional, but the frequency of this nag screens is way out of bounds. 

If you want to force updates, do it in the background, otherwise please don't nag users constantly or at least give them control over it. 

• Like 1
On 24.12.2020 at 00:35, PinkElephant said:

Uygulama aynı, ücretsiz veya ücretli. Hizmette kısıtlamalar vardır ancak yazılımda kısıtlamalar yoktur.

"Otomatik güncellemeyi durdur" gibi bir istek hiçbir anlam ifade etmiyor. Bir güncellemenin gerçekleşmesini nasıl durduracağı platforma bağlıdır, bu işletim sistemine özgüdür.

Bu yüzden Windows / Mac / iOS / Android cihazınızda nasıl yapıldığını kontrol edin. Web istemcisi her zaman en son sürümü çizer.

Güncelleme yapmamak, esas olarak düzeltilmemiş hatalar ve güvenlik sorunlarından kaynaklanan kendi risk kümesini oluşturur. Zaten v10 kullanıyorsanız, güncelleme yapardım, çünkü uygulama daha iyi hale gelir ve her güncellemede özellikler kazanır. Hala v10'da değilse, biraz daha beklemek mantıklı olabilir. Masaüstü istemcileri için v10 ile birlikte veya yan yana eski sürümü çalıştırmaya karar verilebilir:

Güncelleme yapmamak daha mantıklı. Çünkü her güncelleme de program çok daha kötü oluyor. v8e geçtim kafam rahat. Pdfler ve jpegler işlenebiliyor ve program çok hızlı.

Signed up for an account on this forum to bump this up. I'm finding a new notes platform if there isnt a toggle to turn off auto update prompts. Blows my mind auto updates cant be turned off and that they keep prompting it when I need a notes app that is always ready, not a notes apps that is always not ready and is always prompting me to update, how is this a good idea?

On 1/6/2021 at 1:53 AM, A brother in Christ said:

Exactly as wsequeira said. I use my computer for music and video production. This is a REALLY annoying feature. I would very much like options to either turn off automatic updating, or schedule it for certain times. It certainly should at least not interrupt what I'm doing. That's a horrible user experience.

In the mean time, I'm going to try using CNTRL/ALT/DELETE and task manager to see if I can stop the background process or startup service from running at all. While I was in there I noticed something very disturbing. Evernote was using hundreds of MB of RAM, and I wasn't even using the program!

evernote task manager.JPG

I too am using a Mac and I found the damned popups HUGELY annoying! I run a business and sometimes record Zoom meets, only to have Evernote TELLING me 'There's a New Update'. Well bully for them! I don't give a damn. It REPEATEDLY does this, and after having been on the FREE version I then upgraded as I was saving a lot of material. However, the problem then started, and popups would crop up in the MIDDLE of a Zoom call! That is REALLY out of order! How DARE these people MESS up other people's business meetings by doing this. I approached customer support (again a fair bit of searching to even achieve that!) and after FIRST saying I couldn't stop it, then went on to tell me to reinstall and delete old copies, and it should then be okay). 

To Evernote's credit they DID respond quickly. But I did what they suggested (even though I feared it wouldn't solve anything) just to see if it did stop those pesky popups. Well, a day or to later they ask for feedback, which is WAY too early, as there were no updates during this time, so I wanted to wait and see if the update notifications would cease. Well, guess what? The next time I was in the middle of working AGAIN the wretched UPDATE notification pops up. I roll my eyes, seethed, and immediately got back to them saying how that's IT, I'm NOT paying for mere frustration! I told them it's just totally UNACCEPTABLE and to I wanted a pro-rata refund. They did this, and immediately I found I couldn't even save ONE page, as it was over 25mb! There is a 40mb monthly limit, so 25mb is more than HALF a month's limit! WHAT?

What I DON'T understand is that I was using their FREE service for a couple of years without ANY 'bandwidth limits'; but as soon as I return to the FREE version from Premium it's WORSE than before...........The cynic in me says it's because they WANT FREE-account users to upgrade again, if downgrading, as I had NO limits prior to paying for a Premium account! It's a GREAT piece of software, don't get me wrong, but now it feels like I'm being PUNISHED. In response I've abandoned Evernote use altogether now! I don't even log in, so don't get the wretched update notifications either. It's more trouble, but I VALUE NOT being interrupted, so now save documents to Excel spreadsheets - yeah, I'm THAT determined NOT to use Evernote again! A DREADFUL experience, IMO!

• Level 5

Sorry, this will not be the nice answer from a professional support guy - because I am just another user, I have no need and no patience for the chitchat:

- The note size limit was there since a long time.

- The upload limit was there for a long time.

- You use the service to earn money, but you are unwilling to pay for what you get. So you get what you deserve, which are the upgrade messages.

I get none of them. You get them because you decided to pay with your attention, instead of investing the amount for one cup of to-go per month into your peace of mind, and undisturbed Zoom Meetings. „Professional“ is IMHO something else.

EN is getting stricter on the use of the free plan. I do not expect them to drop this policy, just because you seem to be annoyed by it. Without a certain amount of annoyance nobody would subscribe, and that would not help neither - especially those users who can use the service because others pay.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Sorry, this will not be the nice answer from a professional support guy - because I am just another user, I have no need and no patience for the chitchat:

- The note size limit was there since a long time. ......? I'm not saying it wasn't, but that it's more limited NOW than it was before.

- The upload limit was there for a long time. .....Same as above!

- You use the service to earn money, but you are unwilling to pay for what you get. So you get what you deserve, which are the upgrade messages. .....INCORRECT: I don't 'use the service to make money'. I'm using a completely different platform (Zoom!) and the updates INTERRUPT that. This was made clear. You haven't read my response properly!

I get none of them. You get them because you decided to pay with your attention, instead of investing the amount for one cup of to-go per month into your peace of mind, and undisturbed Zoom Meetings. „Professional“ is IMHO something else. .....Don't understand what you're saying here. Makes no sense.

EN is getting stricter on the use of the free plan. I do not expect them to drop this policy, just because you seem to be annoyed by it. Without a certain amount of annoyance nobody would subscribe, and that would not help neither - especially those users who can use the service because others pay. ....I'm not expecting ANYONE to change anything because I'm 'annoyed', but simply because of the problems I've described which are unacceptable - much as are OTHER people echoing the same opinion! I think you need to look into the software rather than dismissing customer complaints. A sure way you'll not be as successful as you otherwise could be!

I've replied in BOLD above, so inline rather than make references here. You totally fail to acknowledge what is obviously a PROBLEM, that not just I, but many others are having. The 'chitchat' comment is also rude and inappropriate. NOT professional, you are right there!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Given the general attitude of your post, you just confirm my initial impression. I said I will not talk in riddles, seems my message got across.

Have a nice day, what is left of it.

The feeling's likewise! I so wish you didn't talk in riddles, be dismissive AND unprofessional. Says a lot about the company and the employees, eh? Oh well, you reap what you sow! Good day (or is that 'good riddance'?). Appalling and not altogether unexpected! Will NOT be recommending Evernote to anyone! Dear oh dear.....

The way to stop the annoying auto updates is this:

1-Delete the Evernote app (You won't lose your data because all your notes will download again from the evernote cloud)

2-Download and install the app from the mac store (Not from the Evernote website)

3-That's it!  woohoo!  Apple doesn't allow those stupid automatic updates

Problem solved!

• Like 1
  • Level 5
6 minutes ago, IanCD said:

The feeling's likewise! I so wish you didn't talk in riddles, be dismissive AND unprofessional. Says a lot about the company and the employees, eh? Oh well, you reap what you sow! Good day (or is that 'good riddance'?). Appalling and not altogether unexpected! Will NOT be recommending Evernote to anyone! Dear oh dear.....

Do as you wish. Taking your first post here, you would not have recommended EN anyhow, no big loss then.

Just to set this straight: I am not working for EN, I pay my subscription as others do (not everybody, as we worked out) and I am independent as a professional and a user of this product. My opinion is not twisted to cause harm - if it does, it happens by the reception, not by intention.

From another thread I think there are fellow users that already sit on the couch and have the popcorn out.

On 12/23/2020 at 4:35 PM, PinkElephant said:

A request like „stop autoupdating“ simply makes no sense. It depends on the platform how to stop an update to happen, this is OS-specific

i use my tablet as my notes for speaking. i use a black page with colored, colored highlighted texts, so i dont have a white glow on my face. i did this using an html email file, and made the background black. it cannot be done any other way. using dark mode greys out my color codes. any version past 5.8 on my android refuses to recognize my black background. i dont use evernote for anything else. none of the other features are important to me. i often have to uninstall, and reinstall on older version minutes before a speaking engagement. i want to stop my android from updating the versions

• Level 5

I have answered your question in another thread.

Personally I doubt you can rely on a client that aged like 5.8 forever. 

I would start thinking about my alternatives if the 5.8 client goes belly up tomorrow. No inside knowledge, but with outdated software like this in combination with a cloud based service like EN there are no guarantees.

These excessively frequent updates are disrupting my work. Pls add control to auto update, so we can choose how often to do the updates and when! I hope someone from Evernote is reading this thread.

• Level 5

No, AFAIK nobody from EN is reading this thread.

A couple of years ago EN was updating maybe once a year, and the forum was full of complains about bugs not getting fixed because there were no updates. Now they are running an update every 3 weeks on desktop, which means that many bugs are fixed in less than 2 months. This only works by the fast release cycles.

From what I see EN will continue with the fast pace of releases. So better get used to it.

Back to the initial question: If you want to send a message to EN, use the feedback function in the clients.

The only way to really control when you do these EN updates is to install the app from the Mac AppStore, this way Apple blocks those constant automatic updates, which could easily arrive at very inopportune times, like when you're in the middle of a job or an upcoming deadline.    If you download the installer from the EN website, EN will interrupt your work whenever they want.  Very inconsiderate i think.

• Level 5

Guys, maybe you live on another planet than me.

I open Zoom for a call, update notice. I open LibreOffice to do some work, update notice. I open Firefox to look something up, yes, another update notice.

This is normal, software development today is a completely different process than it was when new versions were delivered on a CD in an envelope. And stopping updates is a crazy one, blocking bug fixes, blocking new features and in the end generating security risks by unpatched code.

In general I agree updating works better on managed devices - in terms of updates an iOS device is always managed, because you can only install through the AppStore. On the Mac not everything is available in the Mac AppStore. Furthermore the EN app from the AppStore has shown some restrictions in the past - I remember a thread here in the forum where we want through maybe 10 postings to get sharing work, and in the end the solution was to uninstall the AppStore app and install the direct version from the EN website. So yes, the AppStore is a way to control the update situation - but be aware it may have side effects.

OK, this persistent daily pestering to update - which is HIGHLY unprofessional and actually serving as a daily reminder to find something better than EN - has finally pushed me over the edge.  That and the cutesy bug fix lists, 'hello [your name here] and all the other ridiculous baloney.  I may need something outside the google ecosystem but it's frankly unlikely and the existing set is beautiful and logical - two words I could never ever use about EN.  I'll keep it for a while, but it's time to go and mute certain pink and gazumping trolls with their "EN's great, just take the meds like us!" leitmotif.  So long - what a relief.

• Evernote Expert

I'll say goodbye to you.

For other Windows users who come by, there is an Evernote version in the Microsoft store with the same controls etc as the Apple Store. But with the same limitations.

Evernote is a work tool for me.  I have to leave updates and upgrades of all work software for when I have a hole in my work, no deadlines nearby, a slow day.  Its very unprofessional of Evernote to assume they can just autoupdate my copy of the app whenever they feel like it.  I was incredibly annoyed when they started doing that.  The appstore 'firewall' was a savior for me!

Yes, really, really seriously.

This is typical of the dismissive banter in these forums from you and others.

I don't care if your day is rattling with free time.

Notification midday every day (not everyone lives in the same timezone) is just not acceptable.  Nor is a 'workaround'.  Seriously.

You are an ageing EN addict and need help.  EN is dying.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, ballyhoo said:

Notification midday every day (not everyone lives in the same timezone) is just not acceptable.

I suppose not; but that doesn't happen to me. It's two seconds to dismiss a notification once a week or so (if that often) when I'm too busy to update, or less than two minutes to update. It's too much aggravation for you, none at all for others. Why act as if only your experience and your reaction to it is normative? Why act as if people who use Evernote productively have something wrong with them?

why are people so pissed off and aggressive in this EN board!  Its weird. Its always been that way...

I guess its good if they now at least ask.  Back then before I shielded myself with the app store it didn't ask me anything.  You came in in the morning and the update was done, there was no way to opt out or delay it.  That was the period where I had those issues I described.  And when I brought it up here, I was told by a EN employee to just deal with it.  Again... weird agression...  Then someone mentioned the app store thing, and I havent had a problem since.  

• Level 5
43 minutes ago, MarceloAnez said:

why are people so pissed off and aggressive in this EN board!  Its weird. Its always been that way...

I guess its good if they now at least ask.  Back then before I shielded myself with the app store it didn't ask me anything.  You came in in the morning and the update was done, there was no way to opt out or delay it.  That was the period where I had those issues I described.  And when I brought it up here, I was told by a EN employee to just deal with it.  Again... weird agression...  Then someone mentioned the app store thing, and I havent had a problem since.  

You mean the guy who called other people addicts, right?

I've gone all through this thread and I have not seen one post by an Evernote employee. Can you give a more specific reference to it?

I actually think your objection and the solution you found make good sense for your purposes. And of course, as you point out, the behavior of the updating process itself has changed since the long-ago beginning of this thread. What I find annoying is people who assume that everybody experiences what they do (an update notice every day, stopping their workflow) and/or ought to react to updates just as they do, and if not, they must be trolls and addicts.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, ballyhoo said:

You are an ageing EN addict and need help.  EN is dying.

LOL

„Aging“ is discriminating, or isn’t it, because everybody is aging, every day.

“Addict“ is discriminating, but addicted of what ?

„Dying“ is a description I would have thought about with one or two updates per year (legacy), but not with one every 2-3 weeks.

Conclusion: You are out of arguments, and you know it. Sorry for that, made my day.

@Dave-in-Decatur  

that doesn't happen to me.

Why act as if only your experience and your reaction to it is normative?

😂

Is this satire?

Since you ask, here's a reason: don't want to be dismissing a modal window in a conference presentation (gets laughs...), or when coming to the end of a single-take video.

Why does no other app do this, and EN (as is typical) offers a 3rd-party solution?  Answer: old tech despite a lengthy total rewrite.  Netscape Navigator, meet Evernote.

• Level 5

Blablabla ….

The boon of the Corona days, Zoom, pops up at the most (in)convenient times of the day offering updates.

Know what: Better do it RIGHT NOW, because when they call an update, usually there is some severe security issue. At least pretty often there is. 

My impression: Somebody making such a show out of such a minor issue is either overly sensitive (get Linux, learn to love doing things from the console, UI driven software is simply nothing for you) or desperately bad organized. Either way, threat the illness, not the symptoms.

Ah, BTW, only other users here. If you want to reach EN, issue a support ticket or send them feedback.

12 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I've gone all through this thread and I have not seen one post by an Evernote employee. Can you give a more specific reference to it?

I remembered it that way, this was at a year ago.  I could be wrong of course... Or maybe this was thru a tech support email, since I did have that problem of the app crashing after one of those auto updates and I had to get tech support to fix that for me.  Maybe that's where a EN staff told me to deal with the updates, after fixing the crashing issue.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ballyhoo said:

To be fair Zoho and Evernote and different beasts. Zoho is like 50+ apps for business and EN is a productivity app.

I use Zoho products including Mail, Calendar, CRM, Invoice, Pagesense, Bookings, Writer, Sheet, Show, Workdrive and lots of others.

I also use Evernote.

I think a better comparison would be Evernote vs Zoho Notebook.

• Like 2

@Jon/t   You are 100% correct - a bit sloppy on my part.  The article by Ms Duffy by contrast does a fair and balanced job IMO.  FWIW I was amazed I had a very interesting email conversation with her out of the blue a couple of years back when I was getting really frustrated with EN and dismissive threads  on a range of issues on this forum, including staff input. See thread below for a related issue. Closed 'solved' when it was not (now is, of course) which was infuriating to a number of users who just got ignored totally and shut down 'suck it up, users, there's a workaround'.  There's a lot of people who loved EN once and pay good money for it still but are really infuriated with certain policies/attitudes, waiting for it to 'get fixed'.  Maybe it will, but maybe it won't, it's been too long waiting.  Thanks for your thoughtful input.

It's the slow respond and attitude:

• Level 5

At this point, I just have one question: are people still receiving daily popups about updates? If so, on what version of Evernote, and on what operating system? I don't receive these, but if they're still showing up for others, it would be helpful to know the circumstances. If that's not happening any more, then what are we talking about here?

are people still receiving daily popups about updates?  Yes.  around noon. unless you update.  Windows 10.  A few weeks old my install.

if you update (as others point out) you must do tests that your workflow using EN has not been disrupted by a new 'feature' - unless you are an amateur and don't test

if you don't update, you will get these popups.  I get them daily.  pinkelephant says in this thread 'don't go for the appstore workaround it runs in a sandbox' - who knows if this is still correct?   What about other platforms?  The EN site is full of pages describing legacy features/solutions.  I have pointed this out on a support ticket.  They said 'yes, we know, users keep moaning about this - just try the solution and if it doesn't work, try something else' (I paraphrase).

so anyway the choices: (1) popups in your meetings/videos (2) install without testing (3) install and test whenever EN do a release... but you'll still get one popup!

I'd love to see a spoof Silicon Valley scene: introducing the new iphone on stage and... bang, an Evernote popup.. then one of the EN Experts rushes up and says 'hey no big deal man, chill, it's just a popup, do the install, it's for security, this is all good, stop moaning!'

I'd laugh my a$$ off.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

We have a habit here to make a lot of words around nothing.

It is so simple to stop notifications - update.

That is, update on your own schedule, in the evening or morning outside of work time, or over lunch. Force Evernote to obey you.

But honestly, I don't know why you would get popups at all. Maybe I'm nuts or unobservant, but I don't remember EN suddenly popping up an update reminder while I'm working. I will honestly try to be more alert for these, since the whole thing has started to puzzle me. (I'm assuming you're on a paid subscription, and this is not the popup to upgrade from a free account triggered by trying to access an unsupported feature. That's a whole other conversation.)

The inability to disable the update popups is frankly ridiculous. It annoys me every single day, I finally decided to google for a solution, and all I find is an arrogant user who isn't involved in the development but loves everything about Evernote. How dare anybody criticize anything. How dare anybody ask for a checkbox in the preferences to change one setting.

Another thing that consistently annoys me is how typing a number followed by a dot always adds offsets the text and turns the it into a list, which, believe it or not, I may not actually want. Of course there's no setting for this. In fact, the number of settings that Evernote offers is probably shorter than any other application I've ever used.

Things like these are a constant source of frustration, and with hardcore fans like this PinkElephant person running the forum, and a new forum account like mine "needing approval by a moderator" I can immediately tell that user concerns will never be addressed because "Our way or the highway" is the mantra. And that, dear developers, is why I am now going back to Google and changing the search term to "Evernote alternative".

1 hour ago, ballyhoo said:

Notion is rated 2.5 stars. Hrmmm. I think that is about spot on for me. 😁

If you are looking to switch, this might be a better resource as it has more alternatives and offers side by side comparisons of features: https://www.noteapps.info/.

But neither of those sites has my personal favorite alternative -- it's UpNote and is available here: https://getupnote.com/. They have a fantastic user guide here worth checking out to get an idea of it's features: https://help.getupnote.com/new-to-upnote/upnote-user-guide. (One thing to point out right away is that UpNote is a smaller company and doesn't have the resource depth that larger companies have -- but dang, I think their app is pretty great.)

Of course I still prefer Evernote (for many reasons all things considered) over the dozen or so alternatives I tried seriously about 18 months ago.

• Level 5

I mean, the core of this thread is that there must be no more updates. 

So the very best solution is to buy an old Android phone (refurbished) with no more than Android 9, install the deprecated old Android client from an external source and live happy everafter. On desktop install EN legacy into your Windows Vista.

Bang ! No more updates.

• Level 5
On 10/29/2022 at 4:05 AM, Digipiction said:

Things like these are a constant source of frustration, and with hardcore fans like this PinkElephant person running the forum, and a new forum account like mine "needing approval by a moderator" I can immediately tell that user concerns will never be addressed because "Our way or the highway" is the mantra. And that, dear developers, is why I am now going back to Google and changing the search term to "Evernote alternative".

Welcome to the forums. With your first post you've described the entire output of someone with over 16,000, so yay.

None of us here "runs" the forum (or is a moderator). Some respond more often than others, some respond more vigorously than others, some get tired now and then of responding about the same old same old.

I ask again: are you really seeing update nags every single day? I never have my work interrupted by one, though generally I'm in a position to respond readily if I get the information that there's a new version. If you're getting update requests every single day, what version of Evernote are you using and on what operating system? And do you ever update?

As for a number followed by a dot turning into a list, Evernote has done this for quite awhile, and I often find it handy. If I don't want it, a simple Ctrl+Z goes back to plain text. If I wanted just 1. and not a list a lot, though, I'm sure I'd find it annoying too; but (for me) not nearly as annoying as not having all the good features I get from Evernote. You dislike it: OK, but that doesn't mean everyone else does.

I'm with you, though, that Evernote's set of options is lacking, esp. compared with v. 6. They recently added some new ones, and I'm hopeful that as more major issues have gotten addressed, we'll start to see more preference settings.

• Like 1

I think that gone are the days where you could stick on one version of Evernote for years on end. It really seems that they are pushing for everyone to be on the latest version of Evernote similar to how browser (and many other app) updates are working these days. Of course, if you stick with the App store versions (on Mac, Windows, iPhone, etc.) and don't have automatic updates turned on, then I believe it is easier to not upgrade until you want.

For those that installed on Desktop outside of the app store though, we used to get prompted periodically with a popup. Recently Evernote released a new version that should address at least that part of it:

image.png.552bd29df3f283cccd77009569521cbe.png

• Level 5
34 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

For those that installed on Desktop outside of the app store though, we used to get prompted periodically with a popup. Recently Evernote released a new version that should address at least that part of it:

Interestingly, the Web client version does not include this in the release notes, presumably because it never applied there. Agree with your overall point about "gone are the days."

I’d like to vote for allowing users to delay updates. This feature is crucial for our use case. Without it, we won’t be able to continue supporting Evernote, as we’ve been doing for 15 years, since 2008.

In past versions of Evernote, users could decide whether to install an update. This is not an unusual feature – it is found in most software products. For some reason, this feature was removed.

We appreciate the effort of Bending Spoons, the new owner, to modernize Evernote. However, the option to defer updates is crucial for our use case. We often use the software in the field, on a narrow and expensive bandwidth. When we open the app, we must see very quickly the note we are looking for. Since the feature was removed, we must keep the app open for long stretches of time, which delays our work and costs us a fortune.

Please restore the option to delay updates to the Windows 10 version. To be clear, we do not receive a pop-up asking to update. The update is forced whenever we open the app.

We hope that you can do so by January 2024, when our subscription is up for renewal.

Thank you for considering!

Before posting here, we contacted customer service. The response:

"I understand that you want to disable the auto update of Evernote on your device. As per checking on our resources, please be advised that disabling automatic updates is not yet an option and we haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app."

• Evernote Expert

I think I got this message from your posts in other threads. In general the code of conduct says not to post the same content multiple times. This is especially relevant since you are talking to fellow users rather than Evernote staff.

As others have said. This change isn't coming at any time soon if ever. I fear you'll need to make a plan for the future or make peace with this.

• Evernote Expert

23 minutes ago, Tonysaaa said:

Ok, it is getting updated every other day, this is exhausting and ridiculous...

There aren't new releases every other day. Perhaps every week or two but not every other day. So there is something else amiss.

You could try a complete radical uninstall and then reinstall. Do this with Revo Uninstaller on Windows or Appcleaner on Mac.

FYI
could pass this to support but why bother
lets see what the elephant has to say

Google Chrome is designed to update itself automatically without asking for user permission, in order to provide the latest features and security enhancements. The browser checks for updates in the background and installs them automatically without requiring any input from the user.

There are several factors that enable Chrome to update itself without asking:

Automatic updates are enabled by default: When Chrome is installed, automatic updates are enabled by default. This means that the browser is set up to automatically check for updates and download them as soon as they become available.

Silent background updates: Google Chrome uses a silent background update process that runs in the background without disrupting the user's browsing experience. This process checks for updates and downloads them without displaying any pop-ups or notifications that might interrupt the user.

Incremental updates: Google Chrome updates are typically small and incremental, which means that they can be downloaded quickly and easily without requiring a lot of bandwidth or disk space.

Rapid release cycle: Google Chrome has a rapid release cycle that aims to provide users with the latest features and security updates as soon as possible. This cycle means that updates are released frequently and in small increments, which allows the browser to update itself quickly and seamlessly.

In summary, Google Chrome updates itself automatically without asking because of its default settings, silent background update process, incremental updates, and rapid release cycle. These features ensure that the browser is always up-to-date and provides the best possible browsing experience for users.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-Google-Chrome-update-itself-to-a-newer-version

• Level 5

Anybody can have a similar process by downloading from one of the stores, instead of the direct download.

Anybody will experience that this often comes with a penalty - store versions are running in a sandboxed mode, that restricts interaction between apps. Who is prepared to accept this, can erase the existing install, and download from a store instead.