• 4 weeks later...

Same problem, same reaction.  EN has to stop 'fixing' stuff that isn't broken.  

Also noted that decrypting to edit and then re-encrypting loses formatting. Previously could edit encrypted text while viewing.  Bring it back.

• Evernote Expert

The encryption stuff is a significant challenge. It can be done by 'decrypting' making whatever changes and the encrypting again. That troubles some folk because of the possibility that the decrypted text will be syncronised with the servers during the process.

There were a number of concerns with the encryption as implemented in the legacy version of Evernote as well.  I posted in one of the MANY other threads about encryption a proof of concept to ork with an external process to avoid all the issues. The initial encryption is slightly more fiddly but thereafter it works much as I would expect things to work. This has become my preferred encryption process. YMMV.

• Thanks 1

I came here expecting to find yet another big bug but see this is "by design" now. Considering storing client and personal info was a big use case this makes Evernote almost unusable to me. I'll be rolling back to an older version as suggested but after years of using EN I think I may have to look for green pastures, i.e. better features.

• Level 5

Depending on the volume of confidential content, there are several options:

• Some password managers (in my case 1Password) offer beside logins and other stuff an option for confidential notes
  • You can get a safe cloud storage (practically a vault within of a cloud storage), for example by using a tool like Cryptomator
  • Local storage, plus an encrypted backup

Personally I don’t think the „encrypted“ feature of EN is up to anything serious, and would not confide in it with anything mission critical. First the encryption is something homegrown, probably not audited, and secondly it’s use is prone to mistakes and data loss.

On 1/18/2021 at 12:26 AM, PinkElephant said:

I'm having the same problem as described in this thread so I installed the below.  Unfortunately it will not accept the same password to unencrypt the text so that I can make edits.  ...so the below work-around is not working for me.