Jump to content

Merging notes is still broken!!!


Recommended Posts

Not to go on a complete rant about Evernote's latest update; well, maybe just a tiny one. I heavily rely on the "Merge" feature as part of my organizational workflow. I accept the fact that there will be bugs from time to time. Therefore, I am okay with doing a little copying and pasting to allow the bug fix process to work in the background. However, this latest bug has impacted both the note merging capability and the copy-paste function (i.e., notes don't merge, and copy-paste won't save).

The "Contact Support" feature that was previously provided as a handy dropdown option is nowhere to be found; see added frustration. Additionally, any attempt to directly contact Evernote Support to create a support ticket is followed by an endless loop of signing in to Evernote, create a support ticket, sign in to Evernote....

This issue is related to Evernote for MAC_OSX.

  • Like 1
Link to post

@iMarc, what specifically is the issue you're seeing?  I've downloaded the latest version (10.5.6) and I'm not seeing any problem merging notes.  Are you on version 10.5.6?  

As far as logging a support request, maybe try clearing the cache on your browser.  I'm assuming you're logging the issue from this page? https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Link to post

Hi

I removed 10.5.6 and went back.

Merging notes worked wonderfully... it's just those merged notes don't sync back to the core completely.  That then seems to break sync completely.

I merged 4 text notes; it looked brilliant and 100% complete.  The note was sync'ed to core but only the half of the first note; the second half and the other 3 notes completely lost essentially. 

If you have merged a note, I would suggest checking Web or another version of Evernote to see if it really is done

Link to post

I receive the attached error when I attempt to perform a note merge. It doesn't matter if it's 2 or 10 notes. I guess the only options I have left is 1) downgrade to the previous version 2) Start looking at migrating completely off of Evernote entirely to perhaps Bear or similar.

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 12.23.29 PM.png

Link to post
28 minutes ago, iMarc said:

I receive the attached error when I attempt to perform a note merge. It doesn't matter if it's 2 or 10 notes. I guess the only options I have left is 1) downgrade to the previous version 2) Start looking at migrating completely off of Evernote entirely to perhaps Bear or similar.

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 12.23.29 PM.png

That's interesting.  I've done merges several times in the New version with no issues, even before the current release.  Maybe try deleting the new version and reinstalling it fresh?  

Link to post

Nope; Merging doesn't work, it merges in macOS 10.5.6 and looks great.  The note it sends to core is incomplete and looses data.  After this, Evernote doesn't sync properly and has to be closed and relaunched

Link to post
2 minutes ago, danio72 said:

Nope; Merging doesn't work, it merges in macOS 10.5.6 and looks great.  The note it sends to core is incomplete and looses data.  After this, Evernote doesn't sync properly and has to be closed and relaunched

This is after reinstalling EN fresh?  Have you opened a support ticket?  I wonder if there is some sort of sync issue with your account. 

Link to post

Also, did you take a look at the logs?  Curious if there is an error logged there that may give a clue.  Click on the Help menu then Activity Logs -> Save Most Recent Logs.  Once you save the file, open it and scroll to the very bottom for the most recent logs.  Then look for any messages with "Level:error" and see if they are related to merging or syncing.  (Note: I had trouble opening the file with Macs TextEditor.  It kept freezing.  But I could open the file preview fine and view it that way.)  

  • Like 1
Link to post

The latest App Store release is 10.5.6.  It sounds like 10.5.7 was just released today.  There will be a delay before you see that version on the App Store as Apple has to review it and approve it first.  If you want to get the releases as soon as they are available, you can download it directly from Evernote. 

Link to post
On 12/17/2020 at 2:19 AM, danio72 said:

Hi

I removed 10.5.6 and went back.

Merging notes worked wonderfully... it's just those merged notes don't sync back to the core completely.  That then seems to break sync completely.

I merged 4 text notes; it looked brilliant and 100% complete.  The note was sync'ed to core but only the half of the first note; the second half and the other 3 notes completely lost essentially. 

If you have merged a note, I would suggest checking Web or another version of Evernote to see if it really is done

I m having the same problem.   Only note title merged.  All attachments (e.g. screen cap gif, files) disappeared.  I didn't need to keep original copies in old Evernote.  Now I need to.  Then what;s for the merging ?  

 

Next, though relatively used less, old version creation of a content index for merged notes are good.  The links to individual note work well. Now, this function has gone.   I would opt for this content links creation now as my original notes will be destroyed.  

Link to post
  • 5 weeks later...

Still having this error as well, and I am on the latest version. 10.6.9 on a Mac.

Getting two different errors - in some cases, the app crashes. In the second case, I get the red banner notification that they were unable to merge the notes and please retry.

Link to post

@pmcgill2970, Do you still receive the error if you completely close Evernote and reopen it? I occasionally receive the error, even with the latest update. It seems to happen with older notes that I am attempting to merge.

Link to post

Do you have the same issue with newly created notes? I performed a test by merging two newly created notes and two notes that I imported two weeks ago. The newly created notes merged without error. The older notes failed. I copied the note content from the old notes to a newly created note, and it merged. Based on this non-scientific test, I'm willing to wager that the bug fix applied in the recent Evernote release only addresses new notes and not the older ones.

Link to post

It is very likely that you have stumbled upon another bug within the application. I have been using the Evernote platform for more than 9 years and this last 6 months have been the most problematic.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5

When testing I could not reproduce this - maybe my older notes were not old enough.

As a workaround for older notes I would open them, add a blank and close them. This will make them sync, which probably removes the issue, if there is any.

Link to post

The two notes that I currently can't get to merge are less than 6 months old. Other notes, some more than three years old, merged just fine. These two notes have HTML content, but again, I have others with HTML content that merged with no issues. 

 

Link to post
On 12/16/2020 at 5:15 PM, iMarc said:

Not to go on a complete rant about Evernote's latest update; well, maybe just a tiny one. I heavily rely on the "Merge" feature as part of my organizational workflow. I accept the fact that there will be bugs from time to time. Therefore, I am okay with doing a little copying and pasting to allow the bug fix process to work in the background. However, this latest bug has impacted both the note merging capability and the copy-paste function (i.e., notes don't merge, and copy-paste won't save).

The "Contact Support" feature that was previously provided as a handy dropdown option is nowhere to be found; see added frustration. Additionally, any attempt to directly contact Evernote Support to create a support ticket is followed by an endless loop of signing in to Evernote, create a support ticket, sign in to Evernote....

This issue is related to Evernote for MAC_OSX.

I am having a similar Issue,  have contacted support with no response and have lost hours of work due to faulty merge.   After 48 hours of sheer frustration I have now downloaded NOTION and am test driving that.  This is a BIG deal for me as I have been an Evernote evangelist for 10 years.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5

You guys are somehow really fun. Loosing a lot of time insisting it MUST work, then playing around with whatever, instead of :

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

It is much easier to keep it cool, install legacy and wait v10 to mature.

P.S. Notion can be a good solution, if your use cases meets what they can offer. How sure are you about that ?

Link to post
  • Level 5

It is a legacy special, AFAIK this is the first time this is possible. It makes a good survival strategy to install both, work on legacy and test the latest v10 side by side.

Typically the real nuts and bolts of any use case are only found by using a product, not by studying the manual.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, iMarc said:

Excellent post!!! I never knew it was possible to downgrade and run two versions of Evernote simultaneously.

Or wait a couple of months until EN clears the underbrush in V10, unless it has the functions that you need and it performs as you expect.  

Link to post

I was having this problem, but the latest update for the Mac seems to have resolved it. I can now merge notes with images and nothing disappears after I sync the desktop.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...