Evernote 10.2 (1108075) Sync on IoS 14.3 not working

Ive been using Evernote basic for 8 years, it has always been reliable until recently.

I now have a situation where I use 2 Evernote versions - the web, and the app on an iphone

My web version is showing a total of 658 notes. The app on my phone is showing 1,827 notes. If I force a sync on the app (via settings sync now), it reports "sync complete". If I put a new (test) note on via the mobile, it will appear on the web version. However, the is obviously a big discrepancy with overall number of notes - lots more on the mobile app that should not be there.

Does sync not do some sort of basic check that the number of notes are the same? How can it report sync complete with such a discrepancy in the total number of notes?

Any suggestions on what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your response.

I tried this a couple of times now (turning iphone on & off in between uninstalling & re-installing).

I now have 658 notes via the web version (correct as far as I am concerned) and 2,455 notes via the iphone. On the iphone if I empty my trash folder the app says "Trash emptied" then about 2-3 seconds later the deleted notes all re-appear. Creating a new note and checking the green tick results in...nothing! the note magically disappears.

Don't know what is going on but its very frustrating!

• Level 5

From what you describe you have a bunch of corrupted notes blocked in the memory reserved for your iPhone app.

Be aware that the corrupted notes are probably beyond repair, and can’t be saved or restored by any means. I hope you have no mission critical information in there, because getting your client back to normal means getting rid of them.

When uninstalling did you select „dump all data“ ?

After uninstalling the app & dumping all data: Have you tried to force-restart your iPhone ?
How to do this depends on the type of iPhone. If it has FaceID, you need to press the Volume-up button real short, then the volume-down button, as well real short, and then hold the power-off-button until the Apple logo is showing. This is a „deeper“ way to shut off than a normal restart, and will wipe more memory segments (leaving your data intact, it is no factory reset). If your iPhone has no TouchID, there are several procedures depending on the phone. Search for the right way to do it at Apple support.

• Level 5
On 12/31/2020 at 4:53 AM, Christianlars said:

Delete and reinstall app on iPhone then should should work. I have lost hundreds of notes that didn’t sync from my iPhone (I create most notes on my iphone :(

The mobile apps never kept their own data base. This means when you have a corrupted note, you need to solve the problem.

Solving the problem may cause data loss. If you pile more and more notes on top of the bad one, you risk loosing a lot of information.

Personally I had twice corrupted notes, both prior to v10.2 EN iOS. I am glad I could get rid of them without loosing more.

Thanks PinkElephant for your input on this, its good to have some more things to try.

Unfortunately after trying a force-restart of the iphone a few times, I still have the same problem - 4 times (approx) the number of notes on the iphone as via the web client.

Definitely seems to be something corrupt somewhere; are you thinking there are some corrupt notes somewhere on the server side or do you think this is all to do with the phone app/phone memory? Any ideas how I might identify what is corrupted? I've messaged @Evernotehelps on twitter but radio silence so far.

I'm going to try the Evernote app on an ipad which has never had Evernote installed before and see what happens.

All other suggestions welcome!

Thanks

I've just installed the Evernote mobile app on an ipad for the first time - and it brings down approx 2,400 notes compared to 627 via the browser interface. So what ever is going on seems to be a server side issue, not something to do with the mobile device memory ( assuming my logic is correct of course!)