Please STOP automatically converting every checkbox list to the new checklist format

John O

Idea

88 replies to this idea

Totally agree.

It's frustrating not only because when we press enter for a new line it transforms into a checklist, but also because it's indented. I manage checklist/boxes within tables and this messes up with the whole design and width of columns.

Typing a space before the box it's a workaround but it'd be nice that they fix this so it doesn't switch automatically.

• Like 9

I do not think Evernote should go and change your formatting behind your back.

If you create a bulleted list without checkboxes, it leaves it as a bulleted list. At a later time, if you add checkboxes to the items in the list, Evernote will convert the bulleted list to a checklist. Please note, that conversion happens the next time you view the note. It's not like autoformating where it converts a - into a bullet or a [ ] in to a checkbox. It does it behind your back and without any indication that it is doing so.

I believe that when you leave a note, it should be in the same state when you go back to it.

I've found that if you have at least one item in your bulleted list that does not have a checkbox, then it does not convert the list for you.

checkboxes vs checklists.png

• Like 5

EXACTLY the problem I was searching online for today.

This is extremely annoying and completely goes against long understood industry standards for document editors.

Adding new items to a formatted list should add a new line with the existing format NOT change the existing list format.

Not all check lists are To Do Task Lists !!

Example Use Case ... 

I have a lot of shopping checklists of things I buy regularly from various stores ... I have been using them for years.

• No indentation
  • Unchecked items (Not needed) ... Green bordered checkbox ... plain white text
  • Checked items (Need to buy) ... Bright white cross on green background ... plain white text ... very clear

This was perfect because I need to read all items clearly, whether they're checked or unchecked  ... 🙂

Now ...

If I try to add new items to my existing lists everything changes ...

• List is indented ... WHY ... just a bit annoying because it looks bad?
  • Unchecked items (Not needed) ... Grey bordered checkbox ... plain white text ... Not too bad but ... WHY? 
  • Checked items (Need to buy) ... Green check on black background ... greyed out strikethrough text !?!  !! WTF !! ... 🤬
  • Like 4

OMG!  I'm so glad it's not just me.  This has been driving me nuts.  And every time I spend 30 minutes fixing my lists, Evernote converts them again!  So frustrating!!!  And it's not just Windows.  I'm having the problem with iOS.

• Like 3

OK, I understand. Then,  how does one make a list with opted checkboxes in which, when the box is checked, there is NO strikethrough (as compared to a checklist where the strikethrough would appear when the box is checked)? It seems that the EN update does not offer the former format. 

• Thanks 1

OMG, this has been making me crazy!!!  The strikethrough 😡  Does anyone know if they are likely to fix this soon?  Or is there a way to go back to the previous version? I can't possibly live my life with this strikethrough thing in all of my notes 😉 And why move the option for checkbox to a very inconvenient spot in a drop down list?  Doesn't it make sense to leave it where it was in the tool bar?  

• Like 2
9 hours ago, agsteele said:

You don't have to live with check lists (including the strike through). You can choose check boxes instead. The easiest way is to type your list, highlight and then select checkboxes from the menu button. Alternatively start the line you're typing with a space then insert a checkbox  <space>[]

[] anywhere on a line except at the very start will give a green check box instead of a list.

There won't be a 'fix' since this is designed to give users the option for either approach.

Thank you for the suggestion.  It is a nightmare, however, if you are working with an existing check box list.  You can't enter and add boxes on the next line during use if you are modifying the existing list without completely faffing around. I like the idea of having both options, but I'm sorry, it is not an efficient update!

I would prefer the option of choosing checklist or checkbox as the list style. In the meantime I came up with another workaround. When making my list I choose bullet list for the style. Then I select the items I want checkboxed and add checkboxes using the option under +. New entries need checkbox added but at least adding items won’t convert previous items on your list.

Nope.  I have to do this every single time I enter or modify my list and then it unchecks all the boxes.  This is so unbelievably maddening.  I am ready to abandon Evernote over it as it is beyond frustrating to have to do this every single time I use a note! 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, John Canning said:

If you create a bulleted list without checkboxes, it leaves it as a bulleted list. At a later time, if you add checkboxes to the items in the list, Evernote will convert the bulleted list to a checklist. Please note, that conversion happens the next time you view the note. It's not like autoformating where it converts a - into a bullet or a [ ] in to a checkbox. It does it behind your back and without any indication that it is doing so.

I believe that when you leave a note, it should be in the same state when you go back to it.

I've found that if you have at least one item in your bulleted list that does not have a checkbox, then it does not convert the list for you.

I agree.  It should be the same when you return to as it was when you left it.  Sadly this is making me so crazy they may lose a long-time customer over it.  There is no reason that both of these list systems cannot be incorporated and used as we desire.  I am desperately hoping they will address this in their next update. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

I honestly thought that making a checkbox list from the dropdown menu also meant it would stay a checkbox list.
But when I press enter to add a new row, it ***CONVERTS THE WHOLE LIST*** to a checklist.... 

WHAT?

• Like 5

I second this. If Checkboxes and Checklists are different, and we choose to use a Checkbox (by the cumbersome new Insert method), why would the program designers think that hitting Return/Enter would mean we want to convert it to a Checklist.

I miss the old functionality, and request that if I enter a Checkbox, then hitting Return/Enter should actually start a new line with a new Checkbox.

In my daily use, and in both Templates and many current notes, I use a Checkbox to indicate an unanswered or uncompleted item. When completed I typically check the box and enter text at the end of the line, in a separate font. This lets me know what the answer or resolution was. In Checklist mode, this "resolution" text is also struck through, which does not delineate it from the original question, task, etc.

• Like 2
On 2/1/2021 at 1:56 PM, John Canning said:

THIS EXACTLY THIS!!

If I take an extra click to add checkboxes to a list, STOP CONVERTING IT TO CHECKLIST!!

This is utterly frustrating, I have a ton of notes that rely on what is now the checkbox feature, but after I adjust them to checkbox, if the list has checkboxes on all lines, when I come back to the note I see it converted to a checklist AAARGH!! My notes are now a jumbled combination of checklists and checkboxes even after formatting them to checkboxes!!

I don't deny the usage of checklists and applaud the added distinction between checklists and checkboxes, BUT PLEAAAASE STOP THIS AUTO CORRECTION!!

Because of this decision, I'm still using 7.14 and I am seriously contemplating on moving all my notes to Gdrive on Words or Excels in a folder called NEVERNOTE!

Edited by kaleid
I HATE THIS SH......
  • Like 2

I agree 100%. If you're going to force all checkboxes to turn into checklists, why even bother retaining the old feature? Seems like Evernote product management is getting a little sloppy.

This "feature" is very frustrating. I use Evernote for genealogical research and I use the checkbox for tracking lists sources that I've found/not found. In this use case, the checkbox represents that I've found the source. Crossing out the text is the opposite of what I want, in this case, and renders the list unreadable. Ugh.

I did see the workaround, but it doesn't work very well when adding to the middle of an existing checkbox list...Evernote keeps flipping all entries to checklists.

Please let us retain control over our content!!

• Like 3

I just find it stupid that Evernote decided to create 2 separate formatting options that behave differently but enforces the use of one of them. If the plan all along was to have just checklist, why the hell did they create the checkbox feature?! If they have created it and released it into the wild, leave it be, don't force the counterpart, both of them are good but serve 2 different type of scenarios, as so many users try to convey and apparently are being ignored.

• Like 4

As much as I understand your frustration - the checklist feature will most likely stay.

As far as I can tell, no one is saying 'get rid of the checklists feature', we're just asking EN to stop converting checkboxes to checklists.

The checkboxes serve a purpose: Let us say you set up a form as a template, and want 3 checkboxes in the same line of text.

There it works to use the checkboxes as such, embedded into other text, or even in the cell of a table. 

Just don’t put them one below another !

Um, no, that's just nonsense. Check this out: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005597-Create-a-checklist

Under checkboxes, directly from their help website:

Checkboxes are standalone boxes that can be inserted just about anywhere within a note and, when checked, places a check mark or an X in the box. To add a checkbox, follow the steps for your operating system below.

Are you saying that "just about anywhere within a note" = everywhere but not one below the other?! What kind of logic is that? And why this distinction?? There are legitimate cases where you want a list and want checks that do not strikethrough the text, you still want them visible.

I have started using another suggested workaround, adding a dot before the checkbox, because indeed the empty space one doesn't work for me either.

But here's a crazy idea: how about they stop automatically converting to checklist? Sounds like a reasonable fix.

Edited by kaleid
rage
  • Like 5

One further point of confusion from the  Help website referenced by kaleid:

Tips for Evernote for Mac, Windows, and Web

• You can turn a number of existing items into a checklist by simply highlighting the list, then selecting the checkbox button.

So, if you want to create a "checklist" you select the "checkbox" button?  One would think that if you choose a checkbox button you will wind up with a checkbox list!

• Like 1

Oh, not to mention that the video on that page, THEIR PAGE, shows a list of items that has checkboxes on lines that are one below the other. They are basically showing the 2 different scenarios where one or the other feature is used!!

What they fail to show is that after you move from that note and then come back to it or hit enter after one of those lines (be it the last or anywhere in between), that list is converted to a checklist. The app doesn't behave as shown in their own video.

?!?!?!?!?

I have a multitude of notes that are exactly what they show in the first part of their video, lists that have checkboxes but that don't necessarily need their text greyed and styled strikethrough, so basically with checkboxes, not checklists: vacation days, tools necessary for certain tasks, personal action points, meetings (for instance driving lessons or dental braces appointments etc) so so many type of lists that I don't need them to behave as a shopping list where I wouldn't need to see the text of something I already bought.

Edited by kaleid
examples

All I want is to be able to check a checkbox without the whole line being struck-through. I can't even un-strike-through it! :(

I think it's since my latest update:

10.8.5-win-ddl-public (2367)
Editor: v118.1.15148
Service: v1.28.5

@umarciYeah, we were given that feature ever since the first builds of v10, it's called a checkbox, the problem we're having here is that together with this split of the original checklist (checkboxes and checklists now), Evernote also decided to give us a 'feature' that automatically converts a checkbox list (checkbox with x in it, text style retained) into a checklist (checkbox with v in it, text styled grey and strikethrough). Because here you go, have 2 ways of formatting checks, but we're pretty sure you just want to use the grocery list style (/sarcasm).

EVERNOTE, STOP THIS AUTO CONVERSION!!! or give it a feature flag (on/off), whatever is easiest, just let me keep the format I want to use, stop deciding for me!

Edited by kaleid
frustration
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

The two workarounds that have been documented in this forum no longer seem to reliably work. ie

• put a space before the checkbox
  • put the checkbox in a bulleted list

You think it is working and then when you come back to it has either converted to a checklist or when you then do something like hit return it converts

Another two options are:

• Put a different character (eg a period) before the checkbox. In light mode you can't make the leading character white (it reverts to black when you leave and come back to the note) but you can make it a faint grey if you want to.

image.png.8289756dc42f0b943a8572219dbec1f2.png

• Put the checkboxes in a table - just the checkbox, nothing else, in the cell.

image.png.4b1a8b02be9ce7b97b75fb9b42e6d08b.png

Both these methods seem to be ok at the moment (10.9.2)

I realise that this is a critical issue for some users. I hope that EN will change their mind but at the moment they seem to be convinced that you are not allowed to have check boxes at the beginning of a line. I believe that I should have the right to choose but until then I am happy to use a workaround as checklists actually meet my needs most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah I noticed that putting a space before the check box stopped working (possibly with update 10.8.5?).  Putting two spaces before the check box works and @Mike P found two other workarounds.  The problem is this: as soon as Evernote finds out we have another workaround, they will kill it.  Apparently Evernote would rather spend their developers time and energy making sure we get screwed into submission rather than actually trying to help us out here.  That is just plain evil. 

On 3/1/2021 at 6:00 AM, PinkElephant said:

As much as I understand your frustration - the checklist feature will most likely stay. Since the check-list option is now reduced to this design, it will continue to convert a list with checkboxes into that look. Checkboxes are reserved as layout elements,  not as list elements.

One workaround mentioned in the forum was to place a „space“ in front of each checkbox. It seems it will then not treat the list as a checklist, and will not convert it. Nobody knows if this will continue, or will be changed by a future release. The safest way is probably to simply get used to indented checklists that strike themselves out when ticked.

People on this thread have created checklists in the style that they wanted them to behave ... what you're describing would be Evernote removing a useful feature that many people have been using ... very poor practice ...

Your suggested just accept it solution doesn't answer the use case I posted and judging by the complaints from others it wouldn't answer their use cases either.

If, as you suggest, the Evernote team don't listen to their users and this useful feature is permanently deprecated/limited ... the safest way forward would be for us all to switch to a more flexible alternative ... there are plenty about

I have been very happy with Evernote for many years but maybe it's time to take a more serious look at Microsoft OneNote as I already have it free with Office ... available on all of the same platforms and a quick glance shows it supports exactly the type of checklist I want in a more user configurable manner 🙂

I guess I am not the only person who use a list with the checkbox as a shared shopping list. To have all items in the list converted to a checklist when I want to add a new item to the list worksvbut is frustration and ugly. To make everybody to remember to add a character before adding a new item and the checkbox is complex. I hope Evernote will find a solution to this, I am otherwise satisfyed with evernote and prefer not to be tempted to find another tool.

• Like 1

Totally agree with the request.
I don't understand this choice.
I work a lot with checkboxes(pic attached) and now it's really unusable on Android.
On PC I use the legacy version but when the subscription expires I will look at other software.

A checkbox it's not a checklist.jpg

• Like 2

I've been looking around at possible Evernote replacements and I notice that some of them seem to have the same problem. (E.g., Dropbox Paper.) It boggles my mind that all these designers think (1) the only use for a checklist is as a to-do list, and (2) the user necessarily wants a task stricken when s/he marks it complete. Neither of these is true, as all the screaming in this and related topics attest.

As I've pointed out elsewhere, if nothing else it should be possible to manually remove the strikethrough formatting after it is applied. You could do a mass removal by selecting the entire text, hitting the strikethough format button, and hitting the button again. The first hit would format the whole note in strikethrough and the second one would remove that formatting. But the only way to remove the formatting now is to uncheck the box.

And from Evernote we get . . . crickets.

• Like 1

I too understand that some people like the newish "checklist" behavior.  But many of us do not.  There is no reason that they could not co-exist.

HOWEVER, many of the comments in this thread are entirely missing the points which trouble me.  Sequences of checkboxes in people's lists should:

• NEVER be automatically converted to a checklist.  It is simple enough to highlight and change to a checklist if desired.  But the frustration we all feel when you inadvertently hit enter to insert a new checkbox-prefixed item and the entire note turns into a checklist is quite a poor design choice.  If you haven't suffered this, please try it with an open mind and you'll see what we mean.
  • Who really thinks that manually adding <space>[]<space> before every item that you add is user friendly?  I totally get that this is fine for adding multiple checkboxes in a row in a table or something... but it is clunky and clumsy to do this on each a new line.  It shouldn't be so hard and clunky to maintain the behavior we have become used to for years,
  • What is wrong with the following behavior: 
    • Hitting <Enter> in a checklist adds a new checklist item
    • Hitting <Enter> at the end of a line preceded with a checkbox adds a new line preceded by a checkbox (the way this USED to work before v10)

As a long-time UI designer, I am very sensitive to forced paradigm-shifts.  The Evernote staff that created this bifurcation clearly favor the checklist style of behavior (strike-through and graying) for their lists.  I have no problem with that, and might even use it for some "one and done" types of lists.  But there are a lot of us who have depended on an established behavior and it has been made incredibly cumbersome for no apparent reason other than to deprecate checkboxes to special-case usages such as when used in groups.

• Like 3

requesting again what has been outlined above: Project management includes both, tasks that you complete and don't need to look at again and project steps, which are important to remain visible and to see what was done already. It's extremely important to be able to do both. So, please treat checklist and checkbox check as two different icons, which they are, without auto-changing them, and with having two separate short-cut keys. Thank you so much. (I am using mac, but the issue is the same)

• Like 1

I'd like to add my voice to those who want the option for Evernote to *not* auto-convert checkboxes at the start of the line into a checklist.  One major reason I prefer checkboxes is that you can have multiple checkboxes on a line as a simple way to break a task up into sub-tasks.  In the following example, the two checkboxes on the second line refer to buying something (first box), then installing it (second box).
image.png.8005f8e641a4c8fec80a6741fd92b91f.png

If I hit Enter in the following list, the auto-conversion gives me something that doesn't make sense:

image.png.b0fd0716cd17c15e575dcec6b4dbdad9.png

I am aware of the ways you can circumvent the auto-conversion.  To create the checkbox I type

.[]<space>

and then I delete the preceding period.  To prevent the auto-conversion I use shift+Enter instead of Enter.  

But these are not long-term solutions, because (1) it is very inconvenient, and (2) it is circumventing the intended design principle, which means that in a future release, this procedure could be broken and the roundabout way of preserving checkboxes could be gone forever.

Evernote team, please take a look at this feature request.  My subscription is hanging by a thread especially given the recent 100% price increase of the Personal plan.

• Like 1

Hey Mike,

Yes, I did read that putting a space before the checkbox kept it as a checkbox and I tried it on one or two check boxes, but I just never thought to add a space at the beginning of each line before each checkbox.  I tried this on one of my lists and it works great - It did not convert to a checklist!  Thanks so much for that tip! 

I still wish Evernote wouldn't automatically convert to a checklist but at least I have a decent work around now!

Thanks again Mike!

• Like 2

Checkboxes (without strikethrough and not as list) are useful and give a better overview if used inside a paragraph or as kind of complex form.

Logic is as well opposite of checklists:

• an opted checklist item stands for „done“ in a kind of to do list
  • an opted checkbox item stands for „chosen“ option or „to do“ in a kind of form

If you organize a grocery list for example opted checkboxes give you a fast and better overview on mobile which of your standard products are to buy this time (checklist items in this case deliver a worse to read list...)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, micp2247 said:

OK, I understand. Then,  how does one make a list with opted checkboxes in which, when the box is checked, there is NO strikethrough (as compared to a checklist where the strikethrough would appear when the box is checked)? It seems that the EN update does not offer the former format. 

As explained above put a space before the checkbox. It's easiest if you use the auto formatting option. So <space>[]. You will need to add it at the beginning of each line.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
14 hours ago, designwino said:

OMG, this has been making me crazy!!!  The strikethrough 😡  Does anyone know if they are likely to fix this soon?  Or is there a way to go back to the previous version? I can't possibly live my life with this strikethrough thing in all of my notes 😉 And why move the option for checkbox to a very inconvenient spot in a drop down list?  Doesn't it make sense to leave it where it was in the tool bar?  

You don't have to live with check lists (including the strike through). You can choose check boxes instead. The easiest way is to type your list, highlight and then select checkboxes from the menu button. Alternatively start the line you're typing with a space then insert a checkbox  <space>[]

[] anywhere on a line except at the very start will give a green check box instead of a list.

There won't be a 'fix' since this is designed to give users the option for either approach.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
16 hours ago, designwino said:

Thank you for the suggestion.  It is a nightmare, however, if you are working with an existing check box list.  You can't enter and add boxes on the next line during use if you are modifying the existing list without completely faffing around. I like the idea of having both options, but I'm sorry, it is not an efficient update!

I understand the challenge.  I'm not sure how this could be done differently. A choice had to be made as to which form of boxes was going to be presumed when converting a list created in v 6 when opening in v10.  It happens that the choice made does not work for you but does work for me. I think that all you can do is highlight an existing check list, turn off the form that you don't want and select the form that you do require. Definitely not efficient but possibly the only option apart from sticking with the legacy version of Evernote.  I doubt that this is going to change however so you may eventually have to bite the bullet and fix each note as you come to them for the first time.

Of course it isn't such an issue with new notes and lists since you get to chose what you want from the outset.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that if Evernote introduced the option of not indenting and not crossing out many of the objections to checklists would disappear. I actually love checklists because of the crossing out and the ability to reorder things so easily. There are occassions though when I don't want the crossing out and have to resort to check boxes. I suppose that being able to configure each individual checklist would be more tricky but not impossible.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, agsteele said:

I understand the challenge.  I'm not sure how this could be done differently. A choice had to be made as to which form of boxes was going to be presumed when converting a list created in v 6 when opening in v10.  It happens that the choice made does not work for you but does work for me. I think that all you can do is highlight an existing check list, turn off the form that you don't want and select the form that you do require. Definitely not efficient but possibly the only option apart from sticking with the legacy version of Evernote.  I doubt that this is going to change however so you may eventually have to bite the bullet and fix each note as you come to them for the first time.

Of course it isn't such an issue with new notes and lists since you get to chose what you want from the outset.

Ok, I may have missed how easy it was to highlight the entire note/list and change it over.  I will calm down a bit now ;) Thank you! 

• Level 5

Probably you have not heard anything, because it is checklists now. It is not a bug, it is a feature.

So better get used to checklists, unless you want to invest more time and frustration into working around it.

This does not mean I promote blind conversion into checklists, it is AFAIK just the way it works from v10 onwards. Honestly it is an improvement over checkboxes, if you are working with a list. Checkboxes can still be used, for example to set up template layouts where in a copy individual check marks are needed. Most users seem to be neutral or happy about it, this thread currently has ... 3 votes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5

As I said, I understand your frustration when you use EN as you describe.

What I just say is IMHO you better make up your mind, because the checklist is most likely there to stay. So either you change your way of using EN checkboxes / checklists, or you need to think about another solution.

• Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, John O said:

IF YOU WORK FOR EVERNOTE AND ARE READING THIS, PLEASE RESPOND! 

@John O As you realise, these forums are primarily user-to-user spaces so the hope of getting a formal Evernote response is low.

There have been a number of public explanations about the logic of the checkbox/list conundrum. These have been clear that this is the plan for the future so I don't anticipate any different responses appearing in these forums. These explanations have been in various announcement videos and interviews - mostly with the Evernote CEO.

I don't think your suggestion is at all unreasonable but I don't expect that you'll get a response here. It is possible that that your idea has been noted but given the numbers of requests and glitches to be resolved you may just prefer to revert to the legacy version if this issue is such a big deal in your workflow.

Thanks @agsteele, I thought or at least hoped Evernote would pay more attention to this forum since it is supposed to be enhancement requests, but like you said, this idea would fall pretty low on a long list of glitches and other issues that need attention.  I actually did stop using the Windows App for about a month because the page reload problem made it completely unusable.  That page reload problem appears to be fixed, so now it is just back to the frustration of dealing with the list of check boxes / check lists!  

I also have Evernote on the iPad and discovered that it does NOT change check box lists to check lists on the iPad!  So, I got a small bluetooth keyboard for the iPad and have been using that.  I guess the iPad is another possible workaround. 

• Level 5

As much as I understand your frustration - the checklist feature will most likely stay. Since the check-list option is now reduced to this design, it will continue to convert a list with checkboxes into that look. Checkboxes are reserved as layout elements,  not as list elements.

One workaround mentioned in the forum was to place a „space“ in front of each checkbox. It seems it will then not treat the list as a checklist, and will not convert it. Nobody knows if this will continue, or will be changed by a future release. The safest way is probably to simply get used to indented checklists that strike themselves out when ticked.

• Level 5

The checkboxes serve a purpose: Let us say you set up a form as a template, and want 3 checkboxes in the same line of text.

There it works to use the checkboxes as such, embedded into other text, or even in the cell of a table. 

Just don’t put them one below another !

36 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This work around only 'works' while you are using the note that one time.  Then it converts it back to a checkbox the next time you go into the note to edit it or check something off.  This is not a solution long term.

1 hour ago, Fujikid said:

If, as you suggest, the Evernote team don't listen to their users and this useful feature is permanently deprecated/limited ... the safest way forward would be for us all to switch to a more flexible alternative ... there are plenty about

Agreed if your only reason for having Evernote is to make lists where it is vital that the checkbox is the first character in the line. Most of us have to look at all the features and make compromises - including using workarounds.  There are lots of things I don't like about Evernote (all versions but particularly V10) and there are lots of things I don't like about the competition. At the moment having looked at everything in the round, including the direction of travel, I'm happy to stick with EN including using legacy where I have to. By all means switch to different software - as you say there is lots around - but make sure you are evaluating all the features not just checklists. 

• Like 1

To create a list of checkboxes that doesn't go crazy when you hit <enter>, try this:

Simple list

-[]<space>simple 1<enter> or -<checkbox>simple 1<enter>

Item list (indented)

<indent>-[]<space>item 1<enter> or <indent>-<checkbox>item 1<enter>

evernote1.jpg.fc0900c5b9ba9b91b8a8f9ca8f3c2268.jpg

Works with Windows and Android. Using the dash <-> (or another character) is key to this working. I tried using a <space> before the checkbox, but Evernote stripped it out and converted the list to a checklist.

• Thanks 2
  • Evernote Expert
On 4/4/2021 at 6:36 AM, PeteMacca said:

Works with Windows and Android. Using the dash <-> (or another character) is key to this working. I tried using a <space> before the checkbox, but Evernote stripped it out and converted the list to a checklist.

This is the way to work this BUT the space at the start of the line should work - and does for me and others. I have a keyboard shortcut set up which types

<space>[]<space> 

I'm not sure that the big issue is for new lists with check boxes but for the way the EN v10 will auto-convert lists on notes from the past.  This can be a major challenge for long-time users who made significant use of check boxes.

• Evernote Expert

The easiest way to achieve what you desire is to change the way you type the list.  The intuitive method is to select the checkbox type the content and hit enter but, as we know, this now converst to a checklist format.

Instead, type the list then highlight all the items and select checkbox. Each item will gain a checkbox at the begining. Personally I've got a keyboard macro which types <space>[] which does everything in one shortcut keystroke. Really not any slower than selecting whichever check style with the mouse which is what we have otherwise had since time imemorial.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Instead, type the list then highlight all the items and select checkbox.

But whatever you do, don't press enter at the end of the final checkbox item or it will all be converted into a checklist!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You find a lot of advise on how to avoid auto conversion in this thread already.

I want to add this: If you try, you will permanently work against the system. I would accept the checklist as the successor of the checkbox for lists, and continue from there just using it.

We shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to keep a formatting that we choose, seriously, auto correcting should be turned off or at least given as an on/off option, it isn't such an unreasonable request...

• Like 1

I did that back when the issue appeared, when the update bought the 2 types of checkboxes. I even posted on their Facebook and got an answer from someone there and showed them how their feature description page/video contradicted the actual app behaviour. Suffice to say that they don't give af since it hasn't been fixed yet, a year after this thread started. Most probably it was closed as not an issue or a discarded change request.

Meanwhile, my notes have useless text in them just so they don't auto convert...

• Level 5

Seen from the EN view, the software works as it is designed. No bug, nothing to fix. It is not a year nothing was done, because this implicates there would be something done about it. Nothing was done, and nothing will be done, because it works as it was designed.

You may disagree, which as a user you are free to do. 

From my observation of the forum, the subject got a lot of attention when v10 launched, and the first conversions happened. But it has calmed a lot, so I think most users now accept it as it is, and decided to live with it. This thread for example fell silent for full 8 month.

Totally agree!

This really needs a fix or a response now Evernote! Look how many posts there are on this in separate posts and in this one!

Checklists are fine and have their uses and advantages. But I also like Checkboxes (can put multiple ones on a line etc) so I'd like to have both - or have an option to tell Evernote I only want to use. Checkboxes.

But what is totally wrong is Evernote letting you add Checkboxes - but then changing them into a Checklist and not giving you any choice on that either. If you are always going to auto change Checkboxes into Checklists then you may as well remove the Checkbox functionality altogether. I'd prefer you just fixed this though so Checkboxes always stay as Checkboxes.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dantek said:

If you are always going to auto change Checkboxes into Checklists then you may as well remove the Checkbox functionality altogether.

EN only changes checkboxes to a checklist if it is at the beginning of the line. It does not change all checkboxes wherever they are in the note. EN have shown no inclination to change this. 

I like checklists but sometimes I need a checkbox (or multiple ones in a line) so I work within the limitations that EN have imposed. I may not like it but I have to make compromises to enjoy the other features that EN brings me,

• Evernote Expert

I have noticed a recent change in performance. 

Create a bullet list, then highlight the list. Tap the check box button. Green check boxes are inserted after the bullet in front of the list items. This used to stick.

Now, go to a different note then return. The list is converted to a check list.

Now I have to add the check boxes and then put a space after them.

On 12/14/2020 at 6:54 PM, John O said:

I have lots of lists using the old checkbox feature and I especially like that the text does not change to strike-through after checking the checkbox.  After upgrading to v10.4.4, Evernote for Windows keeps automatically switching my check box lists to checklists and changes all text to strike-through for checked items.  This happens anytime I press enter anywhere in any of the items on any line.  It is impossible to add a new line anywhere - in the middle, at the end, ANYWHERE, without the list getting switched to a checklist.  PLEASE allow us to disable this new "feature".  I can understand how some people might like checklists and I may even use them too, but please do not automatically assume that every list I have needs to get switched to a checklist.  If I start with a list of check boxes, keep it that way.  When I press enter for a new line, I want a check box on the new line, not everything switched to checklist.  If I create a checklist, then keep it a checklist - that's fine.  Just do not automatically switch everything to checklists.

I second. The auto-changing lists are horrible.

• Level 5

No EN team here, just other users.

To contact EN issue a support ticket.

You are aware that changing basic app functions just to please the very special use case of a single (or a few) users is highly unlikely. So better stick to the described workarounds if this is important for yourself. In fact adding multiple checkboxes in a single row of text is practically among the last use cases for checkboxes in general. You have no issues with a conversion if the first character is no checkbox.

The option to disable 'Strikethrough completed checklist items' is great and that fixes half of the issues for me - I don't need my checklists striking through if they are already ticked off as I usually want to see clearly what the checklist item was still (otherwise I would just delete it) and striking through doesn't help that, and doesn't add anything for me. So that's good.

And having Checkboxes as a separate option still is good - I sometimes want just a checkbox that I can tick that I don't want in a list - for example I want a checkbox in the middle of a line, not right at the start, or I want more than one checkbox in a single line where I've got multiple tasks I want to tick off. One example use is a list of greetings cards - one checkbox to show I've bought a card and a second to tick off when I've sent it.

But I still think the way that Checkboxes are turned into Checklists when you press Enter is still wrong. I intentionally added a Checkbox - so I don't want that turning into a Checklist - otherwise I would have chosen a Checklist from the start. I would like that to stop - or at least add an option to choose not to do that if some people do really use this strange 'feature'. 

I know I can add a space before the Checkbox to stop it turning into a Checklist when I press enter, but that's not exactly good UI design when pressing Enter sometimes does something but other times doesn't.

21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This discussion is as old as v10. It was quite intense at the beginning, and has calmed down a lot. If you want a change, I think you need to go through support.

I just sent a support ticket with the link to my post in this thread.  It would be great if more folks could do the same.

• Like 1

Hi

another problem is the conversion in to the new checklist format after closing a note .....

I create list with check box as i was doing before, close my note and holly ***** when i hopen my note again all are convert in this new checklist format .....

But he don't convert all.

Don't understand how it work ....

thx ;)

Is this issue ever going to be addressed? 

It is incredibly frustrating not to have the option to use checkboxes that WILL NOT STRIKETHROUGH TEXT on checked items.

Plus, having checkboxes AUTOMATICALLY  get converted to checklists is making checkboxes utterly useless as a feature.

For years, users have been begging for a fix to this issue, but we are met with silence from the devs at Evernote.

I can't even log in to the support site to open a ticket for several bugs I have found. So disappointed with the Evenote team that obviously does not care about paying customers.

15 hours ago, kenk514 said:

It is incredibly frustrating not to have the option to use checkboxes that WILL NOT STRIKETHROUGH TEXT on checked items.

I'm not really clear why you need to use checkboxes rather than checklists. There is an option to prevent the strikethrough of text for checklists. 

image.png.f89e24f8bf2d3d4e09f0c7326ad3df6c.png

Checklists also have the very nice ability to drag around the items, to order them in whatever way you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, kenk514 said:

Maybe instead of ranting about what you don’t know, you could simply come here and ask.

Beside this you are 3 years late to the party. It’s sort of odd if you tell anybody you don’t like the music - the one that was playing all night …

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe instead of ranting about what you don’t know, you could simply come here and ask.

Beside this you are 3 years late to the party. It’s sort of odd if you tell anybody you don’t like the music - the one that was playing all night …

You are correct.
If my tone was aggressive, I apologize.
I was not having a good day when I wrote this.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

I'm not really clear why you need to use checkboxes rather than checklists. There is an option to prevent the strikethrough of text for checklists. 

image.png.f89e24f8bf2d3d4e09f0c7326ad3df6c.png

Checklists also have the very nice ability to drag around the items, to order them in whatever way you like.

THANK YOU!
I am feeling sheepish now.
I appreciate you taking the time to guide me through this.
Have a fantastic day.

• Thanks 1

@kenk514, thank you for your last two posts.  I think many readers here can sympathize with bad days - we all have them.  It unfortunately seems to be a rare person who comes back, acknowledges they were having a bad day, and express appreciation for the information they received.

Vinnie

• Like 4