Please STOP automatically converting every checkbox list to the new checklist format

John O

Idea

I have lots of lists using the old checkbox feature and I especially like that the text does not change to strike-through after checking the checkbox.  After upgrading to v10.4.4, Evernote for Windows keeps automatically switching my check box lists to checklists and changes all text to strike-through for checked items.  This happens anytime I press enter anywhere in any of the items on any line.  It is impossible to add a new line anywhere - in the middle, at the end, ANYWHERE, without the list getting switched to a checklist.  PLEASE allow us to disable this new "feature".  I can understand how some people might like checklists and I may even use them too, but please do not automatically assume that every list I have needs to get switched to a checklist.  If I start with a list of check boxes, keep it that way.  When I press enter for a new line, I want a check box on the new line, not everything switched to checklist.  If I create a checklist, then keep it a checklist - that's fine.  Just do not automatically switch everything to checklists.

• Like 6

11 replies to this idea

On 12/15/2020 at 1:54 AM, John O said:

When I press enter for a new line, I want a check box on the new line, not everything switched to checklist.  If I create a checklist, then keep it a checklist - that's fine.  Just do not automatically switch everything to checklists.

Completely agree. I like the new checklists (mainly because of the ease of reordering by drag and drop) but if I want a check box at the beginning of a line I should be allowed to have one! It would also be nice to choose whether to strikeout the text.

If you are not aware from other posts the workaround is to put a space before the checkbox. So <space>[] inserts a checkbox at the beginning of a line, that doesn't change to a checklist when you hit enter. You will need to add it at the beginning of every line though.

• Like 5

Hey Mike,

Yes, I did read that putting a space before the checkbox kept it as a checkbox and I tried it on one or two check boxes, but I just never thought to add a space at the beginning of each line before each checkbox.  I tried this on one of my lists and it works great - It did not convert to a checklist!  Thanks so much for that tip! 

I still wish Evernote wouldn't automatically convert to a checklist but at least I have a decent work around now!

Thanks again Mike!

• Like 1

OMG!  I'm so glad it's not just me.  This has been driving me nuts.  And every time I spend 30 minutes fixing my lists, Evernote converts them again!  So frustrating!!!  And it's not just Windows.  I'm having the problem with iOS.

• Like 1

Totally agree.

It's frustrating not only because when we press enter for a new line it transforms into a checklist, but also because it's indented. I manage checklist/boxes within tables and this messes up with the whole design and width of columns.

Typing a space before the box it's a workaround but it'd be nice that they fix this so it doesn't switch automatically.

Perhaps I missed something but what is the purpose of having a strikethrough AND a check box? If an item is "completed" and checked off why do we also need to have it show with a strikethrough?

• Thanks 1

Checkboxes (without strikethrough and not as list) are useful and give a better overview if used inside a paragraph or as kind of complex form.

Logic is as well opposite of checklists:

• an opted checklist item stands for „done“ in a kind of to do list
  • an opted checkbox item stands for „chosen“ option or „to do“ in a kind of form

If you organize a grocery list for example opted checkboxes give you a fast and better overview on mobile which of your standard products are to buy this time (checklist items in this case deliver a worse to read list...)

OK, I understand. Then,  how does one make a list with opted checkboxes in which, when the box is checked, there is NO strikethrough (as compared to a checklist where the strikethrough would appear when the box is checked)? It seems that the EN update does not offer the former format. 

1 hour ago, micp2247 said:

OK, I understand. Then,  how does one make a list with opted checkboxes in which, when the box is checked, there is NO strikethrough (as compared to a checklist where the strikethrough would appear when the box is checked)? It seems that the EN update does not offer the former format. 

As explained above put a space before the checkbox. It's easiest if you use the auto formatting option. So <space>[]. You will need to add it at the beginning of each line.

• Like 1