Adjust row height on tables

keenerguy

Idea

14 replies to this idea

Seconding this idea. I want to be able to see my whole day, in 15-minute blocks, on my vertical monitor. But the row heights are... generous. Way more room that is needed for the contents (to PinkElephant's point). It's not about having too many lines of text, it's that the padding (?) the CSS is too large, and can't be changed. 

Even if not freely adjustable, options like "Normal," ""Spacious," or "Tight," would be helpful.image.thumb.png.01fd525854acafee26ad5081ec591c9d.png

• Like 1
On 12/17/2022 at 12:51 PM, PinkElephant said:

You must understand the beauty of real life workflows:

There is an electronic note, everything nice and attached, with a neat table, and in the next process step, somebody wants everything in paper. So his (yes, mostly male ...) secretary prints it, puts it into the folders to take home, then it is read, annotated and signed (with a fountain pen, nothing less). Handed back to the secretary, she (yes, mostly female ...) rolls her eyes, puts the content of the folders into the scanner and converts it back into e-docs. Then she spends a good part of the day to attach all to the electronic workflows, and off it goes.

Now the workflows seem a bit slow for the board, and they send consultants in to check and make proposals. And there we go, on page 47 of 93 (all neatly printed out and send as a personalized copy to each board member, mostly male ...), is the home run where the consultant score big: To reduce the quantity of paper and ink used, they propose reduced height of the table rows - this will make printing 23% faster as well, speeding up the workflow.

And this is the reason we need to discuss this here, to save ink and paper (and justify a 4 digit daily charge for the consultants).

OK, it's just a modern fairytale !? No, in a real fairytale they would ask the secretaries how to speed things up, send their bosses to hell, and the consultants right with them. Just never saw this happen, must be a fairytale then ...

Honestly, it's aesthetics. I don't see how this is missed by so many, uhm, experts with SO MUCH to say. It simply would look better with tighter, more narrow options. Not a complicated issue. IT. WOULD. LOOK. BETTER. Surely, the programming wouldn't be complicated. Not for people astute enough to create Evernote. Just add the option, make people happy, end of story. simple. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

???

Sure you can.

The minimum row height is defined by the cell containing the tallest content. If you have 5 line breaks in a cell, the whole row will have 5 lines of height, even when everything looks empty. Find them, delete them, and you see it collapse. 

Minimum row height is 1 row, EN has no „hide row/column“ feature.

20 hours ago, Linda Eskin said:

Even if not freely adjustable, options like "Normal," ""Spacious," or "Tight," would be helpful.

If this was ever implemented, this would seem like the best way to do it to me.

On 11/26/2021 at 11:54 PM, Sian Murphy said:

Seriously - you can't reduce row height - that's total madness - we need to do this if only to make it easier to print and save ink and paper!

Madness is taking an electronic note and then printing it at all! 🤣

(And technically, you might save a sheet of paper if you have a super huge table, but having a narrower row height still uses the same amount of ink!)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You must understand the beauty of real life workflows:

There is an electronic note, everything nice and attached, with a neat table, and in the next process step, somebody wants everything in paper. So his (yes, mostly male ...) secretary prints it, puts it into the folders to take home, then it is read, annotated and signed (with a fountain pen, nothing less). Handed back to the secretary, she (yes, mostly female ...) rolls her eyes, puts the content of the folders into the scanner and converts it back into e-docs. Then she spends a good part of the day to attach all to the electronic workflows, and off it goes.

Now the workflows seem a bit slow for the board, and they send consultants in to check and make proposals. And there we go, on page 47 of 93 (all neatly printed out and send as a personalized copy to each board member, mostly male ...), is the home run where the consultant score big: To reduce the quantity of paper and ink used, they propose reduced height of the table rows - this will make printing 23% faster as well, speeding up the workflow.

And this is the reason we need to discuss this here, to save ink and paper (and justify a 4 digit daily charge for the consultants).

OK, it's just a modern fairytale !? No, in a real fairytale they would ask the secretaries how to speed things up, send their bosses to hell, and the consultants right with them. Just never saw this happen, must be a fairytale then ...

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

But seriously, yes, this would be a good idea. Not total madness as is (I live in the U.S., I've seen total madness), but I can see it being an inconvenience. When the new-style tables were introduced a couple of years ago, there was also a lot of complaining about the seemingly needless extra row that appears, and can't be deleted, above the table as such. Evernote seems to be unthrifty of our precious vertical space resources.

• Like 2

I'm trying workarounds for Evernote's quixotic lack of support for math formulae latex/markdown style - even MS word had a formula editor 30 yrs ago, and every note app has this now.

Anyways one suggested workaround over on reddit (see below) is to use latex2png - and actually this is a feasible workaround.

It means however keeping the latex expression alongside the png in a table in Evernote - one needs a 'glossary' like this to save time.

Now interestingly Evernote seems to have a feature that throws in another line feed below the png, so the table becomes ridiculous.

Change the row height, right?  Uh, no.

Can't find a workaround for this... that's how I found this thread... which is predictably reverts to the hilarious 'Why would you not want the row height Evernote gives you by default?  That's too complicated!' kind of advice.

Any ideas?  

Pink Elephant please don't bother writing another lengthy fairytale.

Capture.PNG

small tex symbol that gets padded vertically.png

• Level 5

As many things in EN, the detailed control of layout aspects (like table row height) is not in the scope of the EN app. It will adapt the height of a row according to the content. Containers like pictures are somewhat special, because the cell will always hold 1 line of text in addition to the container. If it is in the highest cell, the whole row will have 1 line height in addition - handy if you want to write something there, less so if you want a compressed document.

This simplicity is good for note takers, since it makes for an editor where everything is on the first or second level of choices. No ribbons bands, MS style.

This is not designed for people who want to fine tune a document. Use a different app, you can attach the result as a file to a note.

@ballyhoo  If you can't stand other users opinions, you don't need to come to a forum. Rent a billboard instead.

I would like this feature as well.  People here are making arguments in favor of this request.  However, no arguments need be made. It's obvious.  Since antiquity, starting with Microsoft Word and Excel and a half-dozen other programs I can think of off the top of my head, adjusting column width and row height is a feature baked into the way tables work. It is not in any way a frivolous request, and it's usefulness and functionality is obvious. And the frustration of not being able to adjust row height is obvious on the comments here, and reflect my feelings as well.  Thanks for listening.

• Like 2