Issues with 2 device limit on Basic account

Stacey Harmon
Go to solution Solved by DTLow,

Idea

I am clear on the 2 device limit for basic acocunts. I am also clear that the web now counts as a device. In working with a demo account  (that is at the basic level) today that I use in order to train people on how to better use Evernote, I ran across an issue that I believe is a bug in how the device limitation is enforced and has resulted in me being locked out of the basic account all together. I can see how this would infuriate users.

Currently, I have no access to my basic account. Instead, I get this message:2020-12-14_19-07-36.thumb.jpg.4a7e8cc32ba2c13e20dea63bc610ce8e.jpg

I saw the warnings about a limit of 2 times (although, I don't think they are clear...despite reading them, I was certain I had one more device unsync/switch left this month,). However, my real issue is that when I reached the capacity limit by trying to log into web (while still logged into desktop), Evernote has now signed me out on both desktop, and the web, and won't let me back in to either. 

Why would it sign me out of desktop? And, why won't it let me back into 2 devices – the last 2 I was logged into? Isn't the intent of the limit that I now can't change my mind again and flip back into the web? The way it is working, Evernote has locked me out entirely. This is a terrible user experience. If this is how it is designed (if you exceed the # of device flits you can do you aren't allowed to access your account at all), I think this is a huge problem for the free tier. 

I'm hoping it is a bug and someone can help me to re-access this account w/o having to pay. Happy to wait till the next month to once again change devices, but until then, I should still be able to access my account on 2 devices...right?

And, to clarify, I am also logged into this account on my Windows machine (which I'm sure Evernote sees as one of my devices). However, I still don't understand why I can't still get into this account using the Mac desktop (which I was logged into before trying to switch devices to the web). Frustrating for sure...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

68 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
  • Solution
14 minutes ago, Stacey said:

Evernote has now signed me out on both desktop, and the web, and won't let me back in to either. 

Just to clarify, your login is being blocked by the two device limit    
Shouldn't this mean there are two devices where your login will be successful  

Just now, DTLow said:

In a separate step, Evernote checks the account's device list and blocks access unless a device is  revoked

It appears that when they do this, they are blocking access on ALL devices (it logged me out of every device that it says I was logged into). And, it wouldn't let me log in, nor gave me directions on how to access my device management list.

I've come to understand now that the device list should be accessible and able to be managed via this link, but:

#1: Knowing about that link is an issue (panicked users who can't access their data aren't able to find the reference to the device limit page that is buried in FAQ links on this page and

#2: If it isn't allowed to be on a 3rd device at the premium level, Evernote should never go so far that a 3rd device actually gets logged in their account (resulting in a full lock out). And,

#3: I have been unable to definitely confirm that if you get into this situation where you are locked out of your basic account, that you indeed can access the device limit management page and resolve this (I've been told you can, but I don't have a free account anymore on the account that surfaced this issue for me – I had to upgrade to solve it) and when I shared this solution with my community/customers who are also reporting this issue, I've gotten no one who can confirm it solved the issue for them.

If anyone here can confirm success in re-accessing their basic account with the device management link, that would be helpful to know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hi,

I have accidentally removed a device from my EverNote account that I didn't mean to. And I cannot log in from that device any more. Every time I got an "error log in" message when trying to log in EverNote from that device.

How can I add that device back in?

Thanks!

• Level 5

There are restrictions employed on the Basic accounts. If on Basic, you will feel them as such - restrictive.

For quite a long time it was possible to work ones way around the rules applied to the Basic plan. EN decided to stop these practices. So now many users on the Basic plan feel they can’t continue unrestricted.

I think (no inside knowledge) this is intentional: You can continue to use Basic accepting the rules applied, upgrade to subscribers level or skip using EN.

As a Basic user you don’t really have much leverage: You have no paid contract that would oblige EN to provide a certain service, and you can always export your data to leave the service if you wish. 

I think everybody who now feels it is not going on as before should reconsider subscribing or leaving. It is possible to stay on Basic, but this is your decision - don’t take it and at the same time discuss about conditions.

• Level 5

EN decided it has feature parity to the installed clients, and that is it.

EN as a company does not live from inhaling thin air  - IMHO they are doing it right to review the setup of the plans from time to time. Free under the old rules was very open (no rules on how many unsyncs were allowed for example), and not enforced. They changed that.

It is another question whether the account access must be linked to the login into the web client, or handled separately. My impression is that it is actually handled separately now, but not in a transparent manner.

same issue; my wife has a free account and had her iPhone and iPad connected.  We tried to use the web, and told it to disconnect the iPad (which she almost never uses).  That's one. Then we went back to the iPhone, and it claimed there were too many devices. Same choices, so we again told it to disconnect the iPad -- which should have already been disconnected. Now she can't log in anywhere, and is told she's already used up her 2 chances to disconnect a device. 

p.s. though the compare plans advertises the $70/year plan as "Keep home and family on track", it's really just for individuals (unless they think we're sharing a log/password). A true Family Plan would likely have kept us out of this mess.

On 12/20/2020 at 10:16 AM, Stacey Harmon said:

I've come to understand now that the device list should be accessible and able to be managed via this link, but:

Oh Thank you @Stacey Harmon!!  You're a life saver! I was locked out of all devices as well but your link helped me. I can confirm this must be a bug in their coding. I was fine with only 2 devices but popping open a 3rd device shouldn't block me from the other 2 existing ones but yeah that's what happened. I could not even access on the web.

It looks like when I opened Evernote on my mac with 2 existing devices working it blocked me from all devices. That link showed 3 active devices so the Mac (3rd device now) took a device 'license' even though it popped up the blocker banner. I clicked the unlink a device it said "Nope, you already unlinked twice this month"...fine, but why did the software bother adding the Mac as a 3rd device thus blocking me on all. So I would have to WAIT A MONTH!!! to get access to my notes again. NFW. Now that I got access to my notes I immediately exported them all and bye bye Evernote. I was a paid member for ~9 years up until this month. 

But I didn't get a valuable service "for nothing"...I paid for 9 years since installing EN in 2013. Of course I don't expect everything for free. My subscription just expired, then I got hit with this bug and locked out of all notes on all devices. Huge price increase and this was just the last straw. I used to tout the virtues of paid Evernote and sharing and I had my wife and a friend on paid for a while as well. I've seen it go continually down-hill since 2018 - just my opinion okay as a paid user no less. So I've seen the value drop, the price increased a lot, and other alternatives pop up that offer what I want for less. I experienced 2 bugs with the unsync limit locking me out so there is something to fix there.

Evernote did this to me today, but I only use two devices, have only ever used two devices, and I never use the web feature. It's a bug as far as I can tell; they kept kicking me out and making me unsync a device, until I was out of unsyncs and now I'm locked out.

Does anyone have any tips to get my notes back? I'm thinking I'm going to have to subscribe for a month, and move all my notes into some new notes app. I'm not sure though. That monthly price is too high to justify paying for this app.

On 12/14/2020 at 8:17 PM, Stacey Harmon said:

I am clear on the 2 device limit for basic acocunts. I am also clear that the web now counts as a device. In working with a demo account  (that is at the basic level) today that I use in order to train people on how to better use Evernote, I ran across an issue that I believe is a bug in how the device limitation is enforced and has resulted in me being locked out of the basic account all together. I can see how this would infuriate users.

Currently, I have no access to my basic account. Instead, I get this message:2020-12-14_19-07-36.thumb.jpg.4a7e8cc32ba2c13e20dea63bc610ce8e.jpg

I saw the warnings about a limit of 2 times (although, I don't think they are clear...despite reading them, I was certain I had one more device unsync/switch left this month,). However, my real issue is that when I reached the capacity limit by trying to log into web (while still logged into desktop), Evernote has now signed me out on both desktop, and the web, and won't let me back in to either. 

Why would it sign me out of desktop? And, why won't it let me back into 2 devices – the last 2 I was logged into? Isn't the intent of the limit that I now can't change my mind again and flip back into the web? The way it is working, Evernote has locked me out entirely. This is a terrible user experience. If this is how it is designed (if you exceed the # of device flits you can do you aren't allowed to access your account at all), I think this is a huge problem for the free tier. 

I'm hoping it is a bug and someone can help me to re-access this account w/o having to pay. Happy to wait till the next month to once again change devices, but until then, I should still be able to access my account on 2 devices...right?

And, to clarify, I am also logged into this account on my Windows machine (which I'm sure Evernote sees as one of my devices). However, I still don't understand why I can't still get into this account using the Mac desktop (which I was logged into before trying to switch devices to the web). Frustrating for sure...

I am experiencing this same issue. I recently changed phones and am now encountering the same problem you are having. I even completely wiped my previous phone, so I am unsure why this is happening. When I log into my Evernote app on my new phone, I can use it for like 10 seconds then a screen pops up that says, "Upgrade to continue using Evernote on this device." Initially, I followed the instructions to Unsync a Device but kept getting the same prompt repeatedly. Now, when I do try to Unsync a Device, it gives me the same screen you are receiving. I'm really frustrated because I relied on Evernote for a lot of things.

Evernote Bug.png

@DTLow Correct...it SHOULD mean that – I agree! However, the issue is that now I have access on ZERO devices. I just checked my Windows machine which was counting as one of my two devices and I've been logged out of that account too, with my only recourse to pay to access (upgrade my account). Using v10, I'm locked out of my basic account on all devices (apparently as a result of trying to switch devices too many times in a month – BTW, this is NOT disclosed on the sign up page as a constraint of a free account which I feel is deceptive). 

In an effort to troubleshoot this, I did try logging into this basic demo account using Legacy (I actually was already logged in and just flipped accounts over to it....hmmm...I wonder if they are considering Legacy to be a device and v10 to be a device? Except...I was successfully logged into Mac and Windows v10 prior to trying to log into web and drop my Windows device). Basically, this is clearly not working as presented. And, it is 100% not clear to the user what the issue is.

• Level 5

Personally I think it was a bad decision to withdraw the web client from its former status of "client of last resort".

This in combination with no support on Basic accounts can in fact create a lock out. Maybe EN needs to offer a "settings-only" access to make sure devices can always be managed through the web, without access to the accounts notes.

• Like 3

I tried to unsync a device yesterday following a message blocking me from accessing Evernote on the web unless I unsynced a device. I have a Basic account and this is the first time I received this message and the first time I tried to unsync.  I received a confirmation saying that I was down to 1 unsync from the default 2 unsync options/month, so I assumed all was good.  

Today I logged in via the web, got the same message telling me to unsync a device or I wouldn't have access.  When I tried to unsync again, it showed that I still had all 3 devices synced (including the one I chose to unsync yesterday), but that I had used up an unsync option!  Clearly a bug?

If Evernote doesn't want Basic accounts any more that's OK but please tell me and give me enough time to migrate my notes elsewhere.  Otherwise please fix the problem.  I dare not unsync the same device again in case I run out of unsync options for the month and have my access totally blocked.  But then it already is!  Can someone at Evernote please help?  Thanks

• Like 5

I tried to unsync a device yesterday following a message blocking me from accessing Evernote on the web unless I unsynced a device. I have a Basic account and this is the first time I received this message and the first time I tried to unsync.  I received a confirmation saying that I was down to 1 unsync from the default 2 unsync options/month, so I assumed all was good.  

Today I logged in via the web, got the same message telling me to unsync a device or I wouldn't have access.  When I tried to unsync again, it showed that I still had all 3 devices synced (including the one I chose to unsync yesterday), but that I had used up an unsync option!  Clearly a bug?

If Evernote doesn't want Basic accounts any more that's OK but please tell me and give me enough time to migrate my notes elsewhere.  Otherwise please fix the problem.  I dare not unsync the same device again in case I run out of unsync options for the month and have my access totally blocked.  But then it already is!  Can someone at Evernote please help?  Thanks

(Resending with Follow topic option chosen)

I have no idea how to fix this. I was suddenly thrown into having to eliminate a device with no clue that it would be irrevocable. What claims to be a "manage devices" option allows no such thing; meanwhile I have Evernote open on my laptop and on Firefox on my laptop but can't use it in iOS. There is NO HELP or adequate explanation ANYWHERE I can find. I am done with apps that add a bunch of features I don't want or need and then want to charge me for the only feature I want: access on my phone & laptop. In my world that's 2 devices. Why can't I manage which 2 devices I want to choose?

I'm having this same problem! I was using my basic account on 2 devices: an iPhone and a Mac. I wanted to switch from the Mac to a PC, so that is ONE change. No problem, you'd expect.

But when working on the PC I got one or two more messages that I needed to unsync a device, which didn't make sense. I think I just selected to desyncing the Mac AGAIN - while I had never used the app on the Mac ever again, or anything else that could be perceived as (re)syncing).

Weeks later I was asked for my password on the iPhone, and didn't remember it, so today I changed it via link received. Then I log in on the PC and I get the pop-up again that I have to desync a device - and now I get the message that I have done that too many times, and am locked out.

To top it off, while I'm now logged in on the Iphone, I can't use it, as I tried to give feedback via the app, but I get an error page instead about an unexpected error. Closing the app does not solve it. I just get this error page. See attachment. When I click on the login link displayed, I don't get a chance to log in, the pop-up pops up again. 

So I have no access AT ALL. 

Evernote error.PNG

I'm having customers who are on the free account also report this to me. This feels like a HUGE issue to me, and one that Evernote probably has no way to track the number of people who are having issues, as free users have no ability to contact the company (other than post here in the forums, and I know that so very few do). Can anyone from the company acknowledge if this is a bug that is being addressed? And if it isn't, provide some corrective education for us who are experiencing it so that we can help ourselves and others to access our data?

• Like 2

I'm glad I found this forum so I know it's not just me. Same issue here - switched account from old mac to new mac. Kept it on my phone. I kept getting the box to either unsync or upgrade and got locked out trying to figure out what the problem was. Not sure how, but I managed to get in once and see that it counted web access as a third sync. How stupid is that? I'm pretty sure I only went on the web link because I was instructed to log on that way. After unsyncing web access I'm still locked out. Feels like a they're using hostage taking of your notes to force you to upgrade.

According to the site, free accounts may sync to two devices, not including web browser usage. Now, Evernote keeps locking me out saying web counts as a device. (It doesn't literally say this, it just pops up a "drop a device" message.)

The only devices shown are my phone, tablet, and the web browser one that I'm in. So there's two devices and browser.

Is this an error? I hope Evernote hasn't reduced the "free browser access" part of their basic accounts.

Thank you in advance!

I use Evernote on my Mac only, and when I got my new Mac I was locked out for an attempt to link a third device. I couldn't figure it out at first, but then I realized that it was probably due to the fact that this is the third Mac I have owned.

I received an email that told me of the attempt to link a third device, and it included this useful note:

2. Review and revoke access for any devices that you don’t recognize:
https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action

I went to the link and indeed there they were: my first Mac (from 2013) and its subsequent replacement. I revoked access for those two devices, and then I was able to link my current new Mac (which I got last week). All now is well.

• Level 5*
On 12/15/2020 at 2:09 AM, Stacey said:

Correct...it SHOULD mean that – I agree! However, the issue is that now I have access on ZERO devices. I just checked my Windows machine which was counting as one of my two devices and I've been logged out of that account too,

I understand the problem now      
It's a combination of:  device limit (2), and revoking device access limit (twice monthly)  edit: For Basic Accounts

When accessing the account with a third device, Evernote updates the device list    
The account's device list now contains three entries

In a separate step, Evernote checks the account's device list and blocks access unless a device is  revoked   
The revoking can  only be done two times a month

• Like 1

Same problem here and I CANNOT find a way to contact customer support! 

In my case, somehow my iPhone connects everytime as a new device and currently I am logged in with 11 different devices. But as you all, I cannot unsync anymore and I am blocked out. 

@EVERNOTE please help!

I just received this email reply for Evernote Support. I clicked on the Devices link (which I've disabled in copying the reply) and saw my phone and TWO MacBook Pros listed. I've revoked access and am no longer locked out. Not sure I understand what happened. When I attempted this step yesterday it showed web access as a third device and although I revoked it, I was still locked out. Got to say I'm happy with the turnaround from my request for support and their ability to help me solve my problem.

Hi Vita,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support.

I understand that you are unable to login even though you only have two devices with access on Evernote. I know this has caused you frustration and I sincerely apologize for that.

Evernote Web has been rebuilt from the ground up to give you the full-featured experience you’re used to on other platforms. If you use Evernote Web, this means you now have faster search, more formatting controls, and added features that were previously only available on other platforms, such as:

• Stacks
  • Reminders
  • Tags
  • Collapsible sidebar

With the new interface of Evernote Web, it is now considered as a device.

Upon checking, you still have three devices connected to your account. You can view and manage all of the devices associated with your account on the "Devices" page in your account settings. You can also remove unused devices in the Devices page so that you will meet the device limit.

Should you have any additional concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, VitaChu said:

and TWO MacBook Pros listed

Evernote maintains a device list, but sometimes gets mixed up and lists the same device twice   
As you noted, the solution is to revoke the duplicate entry   
Warning: Basic accounts are restricted to two revokes monthly

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

The revoking can  only be done two times a month

Thanks for articulating this constraint so clearly. I want to specifically mention that (as far as I can see based on the date of this post) there is no mention of this on the pricing table or in the public materials from Evernote. If it is mentioned, it is not clearly visible and I feel that this is a a dis-service to customers. This revoke limit should be stated clearly on the pricing table. 

I also believe it is this revoking limit that is causing this issue with being locked out of the account.

I still believe there is a bug with it (as expressed above).

If you reach your revoke limit, you should be forced (and able) to stay with the 2 current devices you are currently logged into. You shouldn't be logged out of all devices and required to go to a device management page to deal with this – especially since Evernote just told you that you hit the revoke limit. Also, users don't have any clarity that they need to go to the device management page to do this. 

It's currently a terrible workflow/user experience (IMO) and one that causes panic and frustration. And when combined with the lack of access to Evernote at the free level, creates anger towards Evernote. And, it certainly is doing nothing to convert them to premium users.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 12/19/2020 at 2:10 AM, Nah said:

According to the site, free accounts may sync to two devices, not including web browser usage. Now, Evernote keeps locking me out saying web counts as a device. (It doesn't literally say this, it just pops up a "drop a device" message.)

The only devices shown are my phone, tablet, and the web browser one that I'm in. So there's two devices and browser.

Is this an error? I hope Evernote hasn't reduced the "free browser access" part of their basic accounts.

Thank you in advance!

They changed it in October so that using the web is counted as a device. See 

• Level 5
18 hours ago, Wendy Chi said:

Hi,

I have accidentally removed a device from my EverNote account that I didn't mean to. And I cannot log in from that device any more. Every time I got an "error log in" message when trying to log in EverNote from that device.

How can I add that device back in?

Thanks!

If it does not let you in, you have 2 other devices registered. You need to quit one of these to get another online.

Keep in mind you have a maximum of 2 devices (including the web browser), and you can only quit 2 devices per month. So no device hopping - you need to decide which devices to register, and stick with them in general. If you accidentally already quitted one device now, and need to quit another to get it back in, you probably have exhausted your monthly contingent with these two actions.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If it does not let you in, you have 2 other devices registered. You need to quit one of these to get another online.

Keep in mind you have a maximum of 2 devices (including the web browser), and you can only quit 2 devices per month. So no device hopping - you need to decide which devices to register, and stick with them in general. If you accidentally already quitted one device now, and need to quit another to get it back in, you probably have exhausted your monthly contingent with these two actions.

@PinkElephant This isn't exactly correct, so please allow me to elaborate a little bit.

When a user has two devices and signs into a third device, they should be able to log in, and will be presented with the device paywall. When the user has 3 or more devices on their account and tries to log in with any device, including one of the three, they should be able to log in and then see the device paywall.

In the instance where you reach your device revoke limit, you should be forced (but still able) to stay with the 2 current devices you are currently logged into. You just will not be able to add additional devices. Also, you shouldn't be logged out of all devices and required to go to a device management page to deal with this.

That said, we are working to address a small issue that may be impacting the use of Evernote Web and how it is managed as a "device".

I'll provide an update here once I have more information.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

That said, we are working to address a small issue that may be impacting the use of Evernote Web and how it is managed as a "device".

Hey Shane, maybe better off dropping the qualifiers on some of this stuff.  It's an issue, small to some, ginormous to others.  🤷‍♂️

Mr. Small and the designer did that in the most recent video.  Can be off putting - to me anyway.  Too much spin in the world as it is.  One opinion in the wilderness.  I'm going to be sure I'm not doing it now that I bring it up...  oops.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Shane D. said:

In the instance where you reach your device revoke limit, you should be forced (but still able) to stay with the 2 current devices you are currently logged into. You just will not be able to add additional devices. Also, you shouldn't be logged out of all devices and required to go to a device management page to deal with this.

@Shane D. in my case I logged in with my mobile (1 out of 2 devices) and I was sent to the device management since evernote suddently identified my mobile as 10 different devices, which I believe it must be smth like 1 device per each single evernote access (just speculating...). Note: the id's it showed were all different. For the first and second time I could remove the devices manually, but now I can't do it anymore since I reach the monthly limit of 2 device sync. Basically, I am currently out of Evernote until 2021 and that's a pain! Is there any way you can support me on this?

An update:  I managed to gain access to my Web browser Evernote by logging out of my mobile Evernote app.  I've since checked my devices and I have the Web registered as one device and an Evernote for Windows on an HP laptop that I registered in 2014 and that is no longer working.  I originally had 3 devices listed, the third one being the mobile app.

Points of irritation:

The Evernote for Windows was the one device  that I tried to revoke.  As long as it's there, I can't access Evernote on my mobile which is the 2nd device I would have wanted to keep.

I only tried to revoke one device and it has stayed on my device list in addition to the Web browser so I currently have two devices on my list.  But oddly the confirmation email from Evernote told me I successfully revoked 2 devices (?!).  I only had three on my original device list and it's told me I revoked two even though I only wanted to revoke one, but then I still have two on my device list. Confused? I certainly am.

So even if I want to revoke the Evernote for Windows and reinstate my mobile, I'm staying put for the moment until this whole thing is sorted.  Firstly I don't even know if I'll be allowed to revoke the Evernote for Windows if it's logged (inaccurately) that I already revoked two devices which would be my limit for the month.  Secondly, the last thing I want is to revoke the Windows again and find that it's the Web browser that's been revoked! Then find that I really can't un-revoke (if that's a word) anything because I've hit my limit!

If Evernote wants to transition to a subscription model, so be it but I think it's fair to say that this hasn't been handled all that well so far.  I'm personally not going to be interested in a Premium offering until my feelings of goodwill (and confidence in the product) are restored.

Evernote
Device successfully revoked

You have removed 2 device(s) from your Evernote account. 

If you change your mind, you can upgrade to a paid subscription for access from unlimited devices or revoke a different device from the Device Settings page.

I'm also having problems with this. I unsynced a device, and then Evernote actually changed my device preferences without my consent, I had to use my second monthly unsync just to reset that, but then instead I have been locked out and cannot access anything. 

When I had to get a replacement to my old iPhone, it treated the new phone as a third device; previously I was using my old iPhone and the web option (my two-device limit). After "revoking" it twice, Evernote still treated it as a third item, and I deliberately chose not to pay extra for what I had already chosen as a two-device limit. To "upgrade" to what is basically the same service as I had before is not an acceptable option. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, were you able to resolve it? 

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll add on to this one although my problem is a slight variation.

I'm on the Basic plan and I only use Evernote on my laptop and phone. Last month, I logged into Evernote through the website which caused me to have to unsync a device. Fine, I synced my two devices (laptop and phone) and logged out of the website. However, now that unsync caused me to have to log back in on my laptop. Did so, again it said I'm over my 2 device limit, unsync an account. Again, checked just my laptop and phone. Went to use my phone, that got automatically logged out, logged back in and again told I'm at my 2 device limit, please unsync an account. Did so. Returned to my laptop and again, got automatically logged out of my account I assume because I changed which devices were approved even though the devices selected has never changed. However, now I've reached my two unsync limit and I can't log into my Evernote on my laptop. Frustrated I gave up and thankful I could still log in on my phone.

Fast forward to this month, figure, ah got my two unsync credits back, maybe I can get my laptop back up and going. Logged in, synced my accounts even though the two sync'd accounts were still my phone and laptop, all good. Went to use my phone and of course, it automatically logs me out because of device changes. Log back in, again prompted to select devices (even though again that hasn't changed) which I do. And again, my laptop is now automatically logged out and I've reached my two sync limit and can't login. Can't use the web to access my account either. So now I can only access Evernote via my phone.

Very frustrated by this, clearly there is a bug here with device syncing. This isn't making me want to upgrade to premium and frankly more inclined to move off Evernote.

I have similar issues, except that I only use a web version and an android app. I access web version from the same laptop and usually same IP address. My laptop and phone I am accessing evernote from are the same since some 3 years. Yet Evernote keeps coming up with a third device which I need to unsync and threatens to kick me out once I exceed the unsych limit. I can only think of this as a pretext to get rid of basic customers.... 

The Greatest Bug is your program keep giving new name/identity when a device resync again while actually the user has been using the same device all along. With the revoke limit, it totally make your program practically unusable. Your program model is so outdated - still focusing on desktop installation and neglect your Web version,  while even more complicate program are moving to Web version. You really give us a good opportunity and an encouragement to make up our mind to QUIT Evernote. Thank you very much!

I've just had this same problem when trying to get access to my 2FA settings, I'm now getting "Error 403: disallowed_useragent"

So I tried to see if I could access the security settings from the website, but it automatically added this PC as a new device, despite me being at the 2 device limit, then I could not access my notes on the phone.

I have seen in the activity log that someone is trying to access my account, but now because of the error 403, I can't change my password to secure the account.

Instead of starting a new thread, I will add to this post. Based on what I've read so far... am I understanding correctly that you are locked out unless your desync your 3rd device? Even on your 1st and 2nd device... you simply lose access completely. This is not a bug? 🥶

P.S. I just found out that Web Client counts as a separate device a few seconds ago 😂🙈 

• Level 5

No, you are not locked out. You just need to unsync enough devices. Unsync is not limited - syncing new devices however is limited.

Theoretically you can create a lockout by newly syncing your monthly quota of devices, and then unsync all devices. If a user decided to do so, it means waiting for 30 days, or subscribing (can be done for a month).

The rules and their enforcement were applied because there were „clever“ Free users who created their own „extended“ plan by hopping devices. So say greetings to them, they caused the tougher handling of the rules for everybody.

Things are explained pretty well here:

A Free user typically has one desktop and one mobile linked to the account. If you need to work on several computers, it is better to pick the web client instead of the desktop. Everything above this means subscribing.

I am locked out to after installing version 10.19.2 on windows today, it seems like the webclipper is counted as a separate device an evernote is now totally useless.

Even logging in to my account page to remove evernote web logs me out of my account page, totally frustrating 😖

Time to move on to something else ☹️

• Level 5

The web clipper is not counted as a device.

The web client (when you log into your notes at evernote.com) however is counted as a device.

EN is enforcing the device limit since a while now. If you need more devices, you are out of the Free Plans limitations, and that is it.

There is no free lunch. To get more features (1 not covered by Free is enough) subscribe, reduce your usage to get into Free again or leave for greener pastures.

I know there is no free lunch, but now when i login to the account page (from the local application) it is registered as evernote web and imidiatly am locked out of using EN everywhere. Finding al link on the web to the devices list and delting EN web logs me out of the website AND account page. This is frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I understand the frustration, from user to user.

But I am afraid, this may be the lock out that can be created by trying too hard to get clients unlocked.

If you have any client that is still working, you can try to get to devices there.

Or try support - not sure if you can do with the "account" ticket type:

• Like 1
On 8/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, PinkElephant said:

The web clipper is not counted as a device.

I was just asked to sign in by the web clipper (the first time in a very long time I think), and doing this seemed to be recognised as a sign in to Evernote Web, resulting in my desktop application saying I now have three devices synced and need to unsync one. So it seems that using the web clipper can at least sometimes cause problems with this.

• Level 5

The web clipper (browser extension to clip web content to EN) is NOT counted as a device.*

The web client (access to EN account by logging in on a browser, through evernote.com) is counted as a device, since autumn 2020. Once you log into it it is counted as a new device. Therefore it can’t be used any longer as „client of last resort“.

Don‘t mix up the one with the other.

(*) The same is true for other EN apps that need access to the EN database, like Skitch or Penultimate. It is true as well for 3rd party apps like ScannerPro by readdle, that has an option to save scans into EN. None of these are counted as a device against the device limit.

• Like 1
On 12/20/2020 at 9:16 AM, Stacey said:

It appears that when they do this, they are blocking access on ALL devices (it logged me out of every device that it says I was logged into). And, it wouldn't let me log in, nor gave me directions on how to access my device management list.

#1: Knowing about that link is an issue (panicked users who can't access their data aren't able to find the reference to the device limit page that is buried in FAQ links on this page and

#2: If it isn't allowed to be on a 3rd device at the premium level, Evernote should never go so far that a 3rd device actually gets logged in their account (resulting in a full lock out). And,

#3: I have been unable to definitely confirm that if you get into this situation where you are locked out of your basic account, that you indeed can access the device limit management page and resolve this (I've been told you can, but I don't have a free account anymore on the account that surfaced this issue for me – I had to upgrade to solve it) and when I shared this solution with my community/customers who are also reporting this issue, I've gotten no one who can confirm it solved the issue for them.

If anyone here can confirm success in re-accessing their basic account with the device management link, that would be helpful to know.

I have the same frustrating issue. I did use the link you shared and it showed me my 2 allowed devices - one of which is the one that is blocking me right now. There is definitely a glitch that needs to be addressed. 

• Level 5

I don't understand where the glitch may be.

If you try to unsync devices, and do this in a less systematic way, you can create the lock out situation. This happens if you have no working client left, and used up your monthly unsyncs. No idea what applies because you don't really describe what has happened.

On 12/15/2020 at 3:10 AM, PinkElephant said:

Personally I think it was a bad decision to withdraw the web client from its former status of "client of last resort".

This in combination with no support on Basic accounts can in fact create a lock out. Maybe EN needs to offer a "settings-only" access to make sure devices can always be managed through the web, without access to the accounts notes.

Web should not count as a device… you’re not syncing to it like a computer or mobile device 

@PinkElephantWasn’t suggesting Evernote give everything away, I’ve been paying for it as long as I can remember. A better solution might be web + 1 device. Feature parity or not I’ve never used web unless I was having an issue with one of the clients

• Level 5

Well, for some users having an installed client is important. Take a student who needs to take his stuff along. I think nearly everybody uses a mobile client these days. It is the standard way to add scans to EN, just to mention one use case. Which leaves the second spot open.

Personally I would probably go for the installed desktop client as well. But web is really not bad.

And let's face it: EN does not want to have full users run on Free eternally. So Free rules makes the Free plan good enough as a playground for new users, but inflicts some pain when you use it for an extended time. Probably some restrictive elements will not be "fixed", because they are intentional.

• Evernote Expert

Sometimes, when this happens the simplest solution is to subscribe for one month.  The cost is modest. You canfix all the unsyncs and evice stuff then unsubscribe ready to revert to the Free plan for the following month.

You are correct that, apart from the Teams plan, Evernote is designed for individuals. All members of the family should have their own account from which they can share notes with friends and family. Certainly there is no suggestion that logins should be shared.  That would be a very bad idea.

• Level 5

Guys, this thread is telling all about what EN does wrong, because you were locked out.

Just to point this out: EN does nothing wrong. Their only „evil“ is that since 2 years now they enforce the rules of the free plan that had always been in place. They did so by adding the 2-unsync-rule.

EN has no contract with a Free user. The Free user applies to a service under certain conditions, and EN can change this conditions any time. They couldn’t on a subscription, because the subscriber already has paid for the contractual period, and is entitled to receive the service unchanged.

What is the problem in nearly all cases with Free since then is the unsync limit. The 2 unsyncs  usually are consumed by „action first, thinking second“. 

So, you guys get a valuable service for nothing. Just accept that when you perform some unsync blunder, you are seated on the cooling down bench for a while (or elevate your status to subscriber, short term).

• Level 5

You paid, and you used it. All i's got dotted, and all t's got crossed.

Once you dropped your subscription, all this is history. There is no "but I paid for so and so long" when you drop the subscription.

If you look at it from the EN side, you are a relatively heavy burden. You accumulated for sure much more data while you were subscribed, than even a bunch of "always-Free" users will collect in a lifetime of use. All this is still on the server, kept, back upped and at your fingertips. I assume this is more than enough to make this service highly valuable for yourself - if you move it off to another service, they would charge you quite a solid amount of money just to store it. The era of significant "free" cloud storage is long gone.

From my experience with my own 2 Free accounts (used for testing)  if changing devices and unsyncing locked you out, I doubt it was a bug. Even in case it was, you run by the same rules as any user of the Free plan: 30 days off, or a month of subscription to lift the unsync block prematurely. 

• Evernote Expert

You may only use two devices but it is very possible for Evernote to think you have more than two.

As a Free user you can get tech support for one month with a one month subscription.  Equally, once you've paid for one month you'll be able to resolve everything in time for the following month when you'll cancel the subscription.

The only other option is to wait until the month is over when the various limits reset.

• Level 5

You should not have wiped your old phone. Wiping does nothing to remove a device from the account.

What you should have done is LOG OUT on the old phone. After that you can wipe. Then use the „other“ device to unsync the old phone from your account.

After that, you can install on the new phone and log in. It will accept the login, and you would be good to go.

Probably by starting with the last step, and then trying to fix what wasn’t broken, you have consumed your unsyncs.

You can try to follow the sequence - if it doesn’t work out, it is a 30 days wait, or a month of subscription.

Just had the same problem. Solved it by signing in with Google after signing out of the nasty popup. It opens webpage. You sign in with your Goggle account credentials. It sends you a weird link to the Youtube app on your phone if you are logged into the app. You just follow the textual instructions and click 2 buttons (that's the weird part) and go back to the browser. The message tells you to close the tab and continue using the app. It took me about 3 tries before I was finally able to use the app again. So far so good. We'll see how long it lasts.

• Like 1

I am currently dealing with this issue. I normally use the web browser to access evernote, with my other registered device being my phone.

For the past week, evernote on the browser has not worked and is instead simply loading a blank white page reading "Unexpected Application Error!404 Not Found" (see attached below).

Since I keep my work to-do list here, I needed a quick solution to simply copy out my whole list and paste it into a backup file that might be more reliable. I tried to copy from my evernote phone app, but the formatting doesn't allow me to copy and paste large passages of text, only single lines.

When I tried to download the windows version, I desynced my web browser and signed in to the windows program. Since I sign in via google, it opened my browser to complete the sign in process. I went through the usual steps, but when I logged in via the windows program, it worked for only a moment before telling me I had too many devices signed in.

I made sure I wasn't signed in on my browser and closed it, but when I clicked to access the page of devices to desync, the web browser was listed. I chose for it to be removed, leaving only my windows and phone versions, but when I clicked to continue, it signed me out of the windows version, bringing me back to the entry page. This time, when I attempted to sign in, it gave me the "too many devices" page again, but this time, I am unable to disconnect any more devices because I've "hit my limit."

Using this link from Stacey, I was able to access my device list, which for some reason only lists the web service and my phone.

On 12/20/2020 at 10:16 AM, Stacey Harmon said:

My suspicion is that when it opens my browser to sign into the windows program, it is automatically signing me into the web program first, leading to the windows program being the "third" device on my list. If this is the case, it should hopefully be a simple fix for Evernote, just to make two distinctive login pages for the browser: one for the web version and a separate one for logging into the dedicated evernote programs.

I may be able to sort this out in a few days when the month ends, but if the problem is what I've guessed, I won't be able to access the windows program without first removing my phone's access, allowing the two devices to be the windows to be the windows program and the web program (useless for anything other than logging in). However, I am hesitant to experiment in this way because I only have two desync attempts and I may end up locked out of my phone now as well. 

Evernote Web Error Message.png

• Evernote Expert

The two device limit does create some challenge in managing devices.  The key is, I think, to always sign out of a device and then remove it from your account before then accessing your account from an alternative device.  Remember, too, that you can only unsync twice a month.

Since the web access is needed to manage your account I would have signed out from the mobile device rather than the web.

The only quick solution would be for you pay for a one month subscription then cancel it after two weeks and before the renewal for the following month comes around. That will give you a month to resolve the issues. Otherwise, wait until the 30 days is up.