Notes not showing up in Tags list

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

I saw some very old topics about this, but never saw a resolution.

I have a series of notes with the tag "pipes".  I recently added a new note tagged with "pipes" and it did not show up in the pipe tags.  All the existing "pipes" notes show up fine.  It does show up in my notebook and in the "All Notes" section.  I tried untagging and tagging, and that didn't work.  I then created a new tag, "new" and tagged three of my notes.  When I went to the "new" tag in the tag list, it showed that there were No Notes Found even though the tag count shows 3 notes are tagged with "new".

Its very frustrating and I am hoping for a solution.  I am running on Windows 10.  The same issue occurs on the Web App, but it seems to work on my Android App.

image.thumb.png.78439a791ad8b23a0f9b499352e85715.png

• Like 1
  • Solution

This has been well documented throughout the preview, beta and release stages. There is a time lag from changing a note (e.g. adding a tag) and that change becoming searchable or filterable. This is because the searching and filtering is done on the server and not locally and it takes a while for the changes to be indexed. This is supposed to take a few minutes but can sometimes take several hours. Even a few minutes is not acceptable to me.

The good news is that from 10.6 we are expecting this to take a maximum of 2 seconds. I really hope they are right. See 

• Thanks 3
  • 2 months later...

Mine has taken 8 hours and still not managed to find all the notes under certain tags after I upgraded to the ver10 of Evernote from the legacy version earlier today, (about 8 hours ago). All my notes are there, and are tagged, but when i filter that particular tag there are many hundreds of notes missing from the list. It looks like the current web version has them showing correctly when filtering the tags. I use a lot of screenshots in my work. How long should this take with a new install of this current version of evernote? (Previously i was running the legacy version, which i may have to go back to. There are just so many things broken in my workflow now)

Thanks, Ben

• Level 5

Is the initial download through ?

Even when the notes show, these are just previews. Depending on the size of the data base and the internet connection it may take a while to load the full content.

When your computer is idle and EN running you can check for network traffic. If there are data packages flying back and forth, probably the download is still going on.

Sometimes hard to tell with standard OS tools, because the modern computers seem to be permanently „talking“.

15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Sometimes hard to tell with standard OS tools, because the modern computers seem to be permanently „talking“.

Another approach might be to take a look at the Evernote folder

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote

Note the number of files etc.  and then come back a bit later and see if the number of files or size has increased alot

image.png.27145f41ba136b8155324b4e36a37393.png

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. I'll check this out when I'm back in front of computer tonight. I had thought when I updated it was just using the old database from legacy version on the computer, as  all 70,000 notes seemed to be there instantly (although slow to open individual notes). Cheers

On 3/8/2021 at 10:16 PM, PinkElephant said:

Is the initial download through ?

Even when the notes show, these are just previews. Depending on the size of the data base and the internet connection it may take a while to load the full content.

When your computer is idle and EN running you can check for network traffic. If there are data packages flying back and forth, probably the download is still going on.

It does seem like the folder is very slowly growing in size, up to about 8gb now. My original database on the legacy version is about 70gb so a way to go yet (if it is actually downloading it all again?).

I also tested how much is downloaded by turning off the internet connection on the laptop. Most notes were 'download incomplete' . Most of my notes are screenclips and I have many thousands of them (60,000)- so I guess I'll have to leave the computer syncing a for a few days. Hopefully this solves the original tagging problem too (not all tagged notes coming up).

Must admit I am quite surprised at how slow the new version is to open a note, even when that note is 'downloaded'. The top part of the image opens and the rest 'scrolls' open over a second or two. Was instant in previous version. In fact the whole ver 10 program seems very slow - opening, scrolling, moving through it etc. I've noticed this with the android and ios versions as well that i use on other devices. Anyway I'll wait to see what happens in a few days - hopefully everything is 'downloaded', works as it should and generally is back up to speed on windows laptop.

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

I'm still seeing this issue, and it's inconsistent. When filtering by a tag, notes will show up in the list, then later (same day or next day) there will be a huge gap. It's extremely noticeable because I have notes from weekly meetings and sometimes there are major gaps in meetings (weeks, sometimes up to 6 months). I find it hard to believe it's a synchronization problem because these are not new notes that are missing (well over days old).

My notes are almost 100% text, I rarely attach files, the Evernote folder is only 61MB.

This as well as the overall brutal performance and large system load have made me switch back to the legacy version, I find version 10.x unusable.

• 8 months later...

Unfortunately, this problem wasn't "Solved by @Mike P, December 18, 2020" in the 10.6 version.

Today, March 23, 2022, version 10.33.5, both on desktop and Android, I still get countless "No Notes Found" in tag lists, forcing me to find them by running a search in the notebook they're inserted (out of thousands of notes).

As already reported by several here on the forum, this version 10 was a complete throwback to the usability of the tool.

13 minutes ago, André Cassiano said:

Unfortunately, this problem wasn't "Solved by @Mike P, December 18, 2020" in the 10.6 version.

I hope it will not surprise you to know that things have moved on a long way since Dec 2020 and version 10.6. The normal cause of search/filter problems on the desktop clients is with the local database. Try signing out of EN and do not select save data at logout. When you re-login the database is rebuilt and this seems to solve many search problems.

The other thing to do is to try the webclient which does not depend on the local database and may confirm this is the problem.  Unfortunately I can't comment on your problems with Android as I am not using V10 on Android.

Personally I am not seeing any search problems in my daily use of EN.

@Mike P I'm sorry I didn't mean to be rude, I was just frustrated with this problem for weeks and not finding a solution.

Ironically enough, the next post I opened here on the forum suggested just that:

(Btw: thanks @PinkElephant)

Something had happened on my Android that caused some inconsistencies when I tested this issue, but I just repeated the check and everything was normal. So it could just be the corrupted database on windows.

Okay, so that's the solution! Thanks to you too Mike!

Kind Regards.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5

What IS your latest EN ?

We had users here claiming to be on the latest, which was more than a year old.

And you are aware that this thread is in the EN for Windows subforum - no more mobile client posts needed here, thank you.