Request - Move note tags from the bottom bar to the top bar beside notebook

DTLow

Idea

22 replies to this idea

The Reminders and Tags in the bottom is completely ignored (when visually scanning a note). I feel all the metadata about a note should be at top along with it's notebook location and share settings. (Although I wouldn't mind if Share menu is at the bottom)

This section is at the bottom of the page

image.thumb.png.cceb2add46c5744a636b56b54e9b9088.png

And this is how the current top bar looks like

image.thumb.png.1e29ba63619b9ac84339b9bd47138c36.png

This was so much better in the native app

image.thumb.png.abbc8f716ae865b344237efc1fe993ee.png

• Like 4

Ditto. The note metadata info should be all in one place so you can see all relevant info in a glance (eg. tags next to notebooks and date info) rather than switching contexts. Also, it's an awkward looking use of space at the top of the note now - I love plenty of white space, but it just looks like an odd content hole in this context.

• Like 4
Em 14/12/2020 at 02:50, DTLow disse:

This was the location prior to Version 10, and is a better design functionally

I can see why they did this. Most people don’t use tags very much. 

However, it is one of the most powerful features of EN  For people that use this feature, being in the bottom is horrible. 

perhaps EN could add an option to show it on the top or the bottom, or hide it completely. 

• Like 2
On 5/10/2021 at 9:28 PM, PinkElephant said:

The more you use it, the easier it is to remember where which element is placed on the GUI.

Maybe - but it's bad UI design. To explain this, I'll cite some text from a "normal" (not feature-request) discussion:

Tags (together with the reminder and created information) are important attributes of the note. All these attributes should be found in a smaller area to make it easier to find it. Even the note title should be there everytime...

Example: Most of our time we are digging through masses of notes (within the note list). Very often we have to click on specific notes to more information. Now our eyes switch to the nearby note text and have to jump to bottom to see the reminder and the text. Notebook name and note title are shown above (where our eyes land at first...)

... Saving our eyes from stupid jumping to search relevant information keeps us focussed and awake 😉

Much easier to use when they were at the top. I also miss being able to highlight multiple tags and delete them all at once. If I'm filtering by multiple tags and need to remove 2 of them, the removal of one removes it from view. Too easy to miss removing a tag. 

• Like 1

Any acknowledgement from the Evernote team would be appreciated on this. Will this ever be fixed?

If changing the default location is not possible, please give option to customize it's placement.

• Level 5

This is one of these things where something is not broken, it just does not feel good for a thread owner and a yet small group of supporters who rallied to support it.

EN made a decision where to place the tags interface. They decided to put it to the bottom, maybe not to clutter up the top area. There is nothing to fix, because nothing is broken. It is just a thing one needs to get used to. Oh, I look for tags, so I look down instead of up.

There is nothing to acknowledge, why should anybody acknowledge that he decided to place a certain function at a certain place in an apps design, and make it work there ? It is where it is, it does what it does - this is IMHO acknowledgment enough. 

You don't even need to use it any longer - you can simply drag a tag from the tags list onto a note, drop it there, and it is assigned.

So maybe we can all go ahead with some more serious business.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

So maybe we can all go ahead with some more serious business

What is not serious to you could very well be serious to others. Super easy to dismiss someone else’s concerns when they don’t line up with yours.  The placement of tags is one such issue it seems - and I’m sure there are others. Be careful of how you dismiss people out of hand. 

I have no care in this because top or bottom of a note they are still accessible. 

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

you can simply drag a tag from the tags list onto a note, drop it there, and it is assigned.

This has been promised but as far as I know has not yet been implemented. You can drop the tag onto the note in the list but not onto the actual note. Maybe I'm being pedantic but to me it is an important distinction as the ability to drop the tag into the actual note would be really useful.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, kay dee said:

Will this ever be fixed?

This request was posted by me   
Nothing is broken; it's just a personal preference - location and not splitting notebook/tag
With a whopping 12 user votes, it doesn't seem to have much interest from the user community

>Any acknowledgement from the Evernote team would be appreciated on this.

Evernote's CEO was asked about the location switch    
His response was dismissive; a comment about the small % of tag usage among users

On 5/8/2021 at 7:37 PM, DTLow said:

Nothing is broken; it's just a personal preference - location and not splitting notebook/tag

Well, I stand corrected. I didn't mean "fix" in the sense that this is a bug/issue but rather as giving an option to let use move the tags bar on top.

On 5/8/2021 at 6:28 AM, PinkElephant said:

This is one of these things where something is not broken, it just does not feel good for a thread owner and a yet small group of supporters who rallied to support it.

It WASN'T broken, but EN decided to BREAK it. It doesn't "feel good" because it goes against a number of logical user interface conventions, breaks logical workflow habits for a large number of users, and IS NOW BROKEN.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Next time you need to use a larger font, since you already used up all caps …

IMHO nothing is broken, because it works. You may not agree with a design decision taken by EN, that is up to you. Personally I think it is just taking a little to get used to the v10 client layout. The more you use it, the easier it is to remember where which element is placed on the GUI. One day it is moved into muscle memory, and you stop wondering.

Since EN can write their own GUI handbook, nobody can falsify what they do. Dislike it yes, why not.

On 5/11/2021 at 12:58 AM, PinkElephant said:

The more you use it, the easier it is to remember where which element is placed on the GUI. One day it is moved into muscle memory, and you stop wondering.

It was changed from how the older client organized the UI Elements. It's not about being able to add tag to a note but being able to see them in context near a notebook's name. You may not need that, but I do.

UI is a subjective thing, what puzzles me is @PinkElephant's dismissive stance on such a simple user ask. You cannot be so dismissive to users who are asking for an option (just like "view options" of "cards vs snippets" in the notes list view) to be able to move the bar up. By default it can stay down, but for some they may want to move it up. If you have nothing better to add please do not speak on this issue but do not discourage people from voicing their opinions. 

On 5/11/2021 at 12:58 AM, PinkElephant said:

You may not agree with a design decision taken by EN, that is up to you.

This is exactly we are doing, displaying our displeasure over a design decision. We are paying customer, so I consider this as a basic privilege to be able to convey our displeasure to the EN team.

• Like 2

☮️ Peace! 

Evernote doesn't care about the feature (I'm trying to be extra careful, not calling it an Issue), and I am unnecessarily locking horns with users who are just expressing their disagreement with other users. No hard feelings @PinkElephant.

A humble request to EN 🙏, if you could give an option (preference) for those who still love to see all metadata at one place (which is top). It may not be very difficult to achieve in Electron.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mamer@northshore.org said:

I liked a tag could be removed just by clicking the X in the tag!

I agree that was convenient. The functionaility still exists in the note information window but that is two extra clicks or one extra keyboard shortcut.

Personally, I find selecting the tag and pressing the delete key is pretty good.