Evernote Helper: Issues with Capture window and Capture selection

I'm running macOS Big Sur v.11.1

Evernote v 10.4.4 build 458403 public
Editor: v112.1.14477
Service: v1.23.6

Capture Selection from the screen was one of the best features and not it does not work :-(

• Like 2

I use the screen capture tool all the time for sections of text or graphics.

I was disappointed when it went away.

I now use the Shift + Command + 4 to create a partial screen capture. Then I drag it to the Evernote app or over the Evernote App button in the menu bar. It opens and drops the capture into a new note. If I have a note open I drag it into the note and it works as it did before. Just adds a drag step, I can live with this.

Love the Evernote app.

DOT

• Like 1

Interestingly, I'm experiencing a different issue from some of you. My capture buttons (full screen, window, or selection) allow me to take screenshots, but all they take are screenshots of my desktop background! No matter what window content I'm trying to capture, it's as if those programs are invisible and all it captures is my desktop background.

This has been the case at least since EN 10.4. I'm currently running EN 10.5.7 on macOS Catalina 10.15.7.

Is anyone seeing the same as me?

I've been a premium user since January 21st, 2011, thats 10 years next month, close to $700 LTV I pretty much used Evernote exclusively for screen capture and UX researching.   Would really love to have this feature back, will be canceling if they can't add this back to the helper.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
On 12/19/2020 at 12:28 PM, iamgvh said:

Evernote exclusively for screen capture and UX researching. 

Screen cap is working fine for me in EN 10.5.7

ctrl-cmd-del (or the funky elephant, if that's your style)

What exactly are you seeing?

(Please share details of the OS, EN version, and any other things that might be relevant.)

+1 more case...

Experiencing similar issues. I can use the 'Capture screen' function in the helper tool, but the other two functions (Capture window & Capture selection) do not work as expected. I expected some "growing pains" with this latest release of Evernote, but it would be great if these two functions work as advertised, instead of having to use the Mac's built-in capture window/selection functions and drag the files into a note.

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 11.59.10 AM.png

On 12/24/2020 at 5:31 PM, mprogram said:

It's still not working for me in EN 10.5.7 on Mac 10.15.7.

What happens to you when you try to use it? I was recommended by support to go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy, then the Privacy tab, then ensure that Evernote is allowed under the "Screen Recording" option. Unfortunately, I only have Evernote legacy listed in this area, not the new Evernote app.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

What happens to you when you try to use it? I was recommended by support to go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy, then the Privacy tab, then ensure that Evernote is allowed under the "Screen Recording" option. Unfortunately, I only have Evernote legacy listed in this area, not the new Evernote app.

Yep, it's allowed.

Same for me and also VERY FRUSTRATING! One of the main things I do with Evernote.  

on Mojave still 10.14.6

Updated to 10.5.7 and same issue: 

v 10.5.7 build 458420 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

v 10.4.4 build 458403 public
Editor: v112.1.14477
Service: v1.23.6
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Edited by Gravity Man
updated info and evernote version
  • 3 weeks later...

The old workflow of screen capture using the Web Clipper was the NUMBER ONE reason I've been a paying customer of Evernote and now it doesn't work. For me it was critical to be able to take a series of screenshots that would automatically populate inside of the helper tool. Now each screenshot automatically becomes its own note -- I don't want that!! So frustrating to have something great and then to lose it. Why, evernote????

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had the same issue on my MBP running Catalina, and I reinstalled from the downloaded file from Evernote. It doesn't work using the App store method to restore the app. Now the buttons in the helper app for window capture and selection capture are working. But now my problem is the helper app quits when I exit the main program. It did stay in my menu bar before the upgrade, and I can't find in the main app where to keep it in the menu bar

• Like 1

+1 on this, just updated to Evernote 10.6.9 and the issue is ongoing. Capture Selection and Capture Window still not working. Checked and unchecked the Screen Recording Privacy setting and it doesn't fix it.

Please help! Really annoying for those of us who use this feature intensely.   

Update: as suggested by John Chikahisa I downloaded the update from the Evernote website and overwrote the Appstore version; this fixed the issue, albeit partially. I think the behavior most of us expect from the Capture Selection option is the way it used to work, where you could select a portion of the screen and the image would be added to the evernote helper note where you could continue editing/adding new text or additional screen shots. Now it immediately saves a note, making the ability to stitch different screen captures in one note very impractical and messing up user's workflow, which is basically what Alex9999321 also says.

• Thanks 1

I can only add my disappointment to the comments above.

I capture more than just items from the internet so I have to use other software to "clip" what I want then drag it into a note. I have been a premium user since 2008 and have loved this feature, like most people have commented one of the main reasons I use Evernote.

I submitted a ticket to get details on why this feature or if there is a setting to turn it back on.

I suggest everyone do the same.

In 2008 Evernote did not have much competition, now there are alternatives, I am even pondering moving offline for security since this feature is gone.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
21 hours ago, ruccucc said:

Yes, problems have not been fixed in EN 10.6.9...they are ignoring us.

Tell us EXACTLY what you are doing, and what result you are getting. We all use EN tools in different ways, so it can be hard to understand other people's problems.

All three screen capture options work well for me. The ability to append multiple captures into a single note appears to have been eliminated—not something that's important to me, but I'm sure some folks depend on it. Of course, one option would be to merge a series of captured images into a single note.

Personally, I find that using the mac screen cap shortcut ctrl-opt-cmd-5 is more useful, since it allows a clip to be emailed to EN, together with the option of editing Title, Notebook and Tabs.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Same as above.. Why are you ruining a great product? For years I had no trouble. Now I can't use the capture anymore and also my notes lock and are empty. Have to kill the process to regain access to Evernote.

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly the same - massively used the capture selection feature on my Mac for editing books and schoolwork - now I can't. This was a mainstay feature and reason for why I purchased Evernote. All of us need to put tickets in. I'll be cancelling my subscription if they can't fix this.

• Level 5

EN v10 uses the combination cmd + 1-9 to jump between favorites. You find the key shortcuts in the help menu.

However I could not change them, so I use the touchbar to activate the screen capture when EN is open.

Remarks:

Current BigSur release is 11.2.2, so maybe update.

This is the iOS forum, not the one for Mac v10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Hi All,

I wanted to reach out to offer some clarification on the available capture selection options for the Evernote Helper.

As of Version 10.9 for Mac, if you downloaded Evernote from the Mac App Store, the Capture window and Capture selection options will be missing.

If you downloaded Evernote directly from Evernote (https://evernote.com/download), then you will see all 3 capture options available in the Evernote Helper:

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 12.17.50 PM.png

However, there is a specific issue affecting Capture selection where the Evernote App is automatically brought to the forefront of the screen.

If you're experiencing this issue, please let us know here:

I'll be following up here once I have further updates.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Like 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to Evernote Helper: Issues with Capture window and Capture selection
  • 2 weeks later...

@Shane D. I've got all three icons. I think I've had Evernote since before there was an App Store, and I've just been updating from within the app. I'm definitely experiencing the issue where Evernote comes to the front when I try and screen grab.

Also, the capture is immediately converted to a note instead of being able to add more than one capture to the scratch pad/quicknote and then convert to a note when I'm ready. I'm not sure if this is the intended behaviour, but it's also really not great.

10.10.5 on mac working for me now - thankfully!! after so long... all 3 clipper options working as expected.  Im now a definite step closer to having all legacy version features that I relied upon in the new electron app.  With the clipper selection though, we used to be able to clip, clip, clip in succession and build up a collection of clips in a single clipper note and then save.  That's still missing....I'd like to see a return of that.  Any kind of clip results in an immediate clip and save...yes I know I could merge notes but that's still a manual step I'd rather not have to take but with Android releases as well, kudos to the team for seemingly listening and reacting in reasonable time frame I think.  I think EN might be slowly winning me over again.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Copyclip is a free app that can store tens of your previous clips and allow you to paste the desired clips into 

4 hours ago, jamesreadhead said:

With the clipper selection though, we used to be able to clip, clip, clip in succession and build up a collection of clips in a single clipper note and then save

You might consider the free CopyClip app which allows you to access dozens of your previous clips.

• 3 weeks later...

@Shane D. I absolutely love Evernote. But I really don't understand why you would remove so many useful keyboard shortcuts from the new version. As you can see here, lots of people have been using them. True, you have the buttons in the helper but it is so much faster just to press the keyboard shortcuts. In the article "Whats new in Evernote for Mac" it says: "Some keyboard shortcuts have not been implemented yet" Does this mean they will come back soon? When? Will they be the same across the Evernot for Mac and for PC? Thank you

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2020 at 12:00 AM, KevanSizemore.com said:

+1 more case...

Experiencing similar issues. I can use the 'Capture screen' function in the helper tool, but the other two functions (Capture window & Capture selection) do not work as expected. I expected some "growing pains" with this latest release of Evernote, but it would be great if these two functions work as advertised, instead of having to use the Mac's built-in capture window/selection functions and drag the files into a note.

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 11.59.10 AM.png

In several previous version, those 3 icons once being clicked, the meant screen portions are pasted on to the quick note right away. If EN has these 3 icons, EN must fix it now. I've been waiting for this to be fixed for such a long long time that I forget that these icons exist.

• 5 months later...

Please sort this issue Evernote Team - assigning shortcuts is a basic task and in previous versions had no issues. Capture Selection is an important feature which I've used since 2013.  I've never had an application in 20 years have issues where the developer removed features when you must have stats to show you users have used this feature for a very long time.  

As many users have stated, the Capture Selection is a much used tool which has been broken by not being able to map to a keyboard shortcut. How does one mapping get 'allowed' into the list and other 'dropped'?  Could you at least give the community an answer as to what the reasoning is behind ditching shortcuts?  

• 5 months later...
On 3/17/2021 at 12:21 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I wanted to reach out to offer some clarification on the available capture selection options for the Evernote Helper.

As of Version 10.9 for Mac, if you downloaded Evernote from the Mac App Store, the Capture window and Capture selection options will be missing.

If you downloaded Evernote directly from Evernote (https://evernote.com/download), then you will see all 3 capture options available in the Evernote Helper:

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 12.17.50 PM.png

However, there is a specific issue affecting Capture selection where the Evernote App is automatically brought to the forefront of the screen.

If you're experiencing this issue, please let us know here:

I'll be following up here once I have further updates.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I am having the same problem. When I want to clip an item using the menubar clipper, the Evernote app comes up and I can't clip the item as intended. I have been such an Evernote fan that I pay for a subscription even though the free version would work for me. This function is very useful to me and I use is for my research. When I downloaded EN app the link you provided it goes into a loop of "something went wrong- please try restarting Evernote" and now won't work at all. I will have to go back to the App Store to get a functioning version. I'm using MacOS 12.3.1.

• Level 5

Are you running the AppStore download, or the direct download from the EN website ?

If you are on the AppStore version, uninstall it and download the version from the EN website. I recently had a problem to load it through Safari - downloading through Firefox worked.

All 3 clipping options (full screen, window or crosshairs) work with the direct download.

MacOS 12.3.1, EN Mac v10.36.