Document management tool with timeline

AlexLex

Dear Community Members,

I am looking for a document management software that logs every action we take on a document as a timeline. A bit like a life path of the document.

Here is an example for an invoice:

01/12/2020 Document Received
02/12/2020 Document scanned
05/12/2020 Document paid
07/12/2020 Document archived

This presented with a nice timeline design, one timeline for each PDF.

It sounds very simple, but I haven't find any document management software doing that.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, AlexLex said:
Here is an example for an invoice:

01/12/2020 Document Received
02/12/2020 Document scanned
05/12/2020 Document paid
07/12/2020 Document archived

As an Evernote user, I would add these entries to the note content   
Also tags to indicate the status   
I could add automation using Applescript on my Mac

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

As an Evernote user, I would add these entries to the note content   
Also tags to indicate the status

Thank you for this great suggestion!

Thing is, with Evernote, the note content is easily editable by accident.

Tags are a great way to indicate status, but doesn't really display as a timeline.

I like the way how Notion and Airtable have a "page history" feature.

It would be something similar, but displayed just beside the scanned PDF, and locked to avoid any unwanted change by accident.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not sure there's any software out there that can automate the whole process - I think you'd have to make a wish list of things you absolutely want to do and consult some software engineers to see whether any of their existing products meet most of your needs.  Lots of web research and emailing required.  I got this link from a search for "document management software" which had 1500M other hits... https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/best-document-management-software

(When I've been in your situation I also chatted to lots of others in the same industry as me - and to our professional body - and asked about their software!)

I can imagine a system using Evernote and Filterize where for each operation you create a note from a template for that task - "new note - template [scanned] - document xyz123" for example.  When that note is synced with Evernote,  Filterize could mark it as 'locked' to prevent alteration.

Filterize can also build 'dashboards' - Tables of Content - that contain listings of notes, so you could have a dynamic list of documents showing each operation that they have been through,  and also a list of operations,  showing each document that has been processed.

Two Caveats - 

1. That was completely off the top of my head and may or may not be feasible in the real world...
  2.  Filterize is a Windows only product - and pretty much the equivalent of @DTLow's Mac Scripting

Good luck!  🙂

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Correction: Filterize is a cloud service - no platform dependence

Oh wow - Sorry,  I completely don't know why I said that... maybe thinking about the v10 fuss and wondering whether my services would still run on other apps...  definitely need to lie down and find that ice pack for my head again...  brain too hot...  🥵

• Level 5

Probably real document management systems can do, as can ERP systems.

At work we used to have our documents scanned and moved into SAP, and there they were moved in workflows until done and archived. But installing SAP on your home server sounds a little like overkill, doesn't it ?

Another simple option can be a Kanban board, like in Trello or Meistertask: Attach the document to a card, and run it cross a board until completion.

In EN it is easy to mimic it, by tagging or by notebooks as described above. I prefer the tags over notebooks for such tasks. It is just visually not as satisfying as a Kanban tool, but it can handle more content.

• 8 months later...