Feature Request - Checkbox automatic lists

bobosnap

Idea

An automatic list with Checkboxes like in the Windows version would be very helpful on iOS as well.  There is a checkbox list in iOS, but it does strikethrough when you check off an item.  The other kind of Checkbox is what I'm talking about.  In the Windows version, you just hit enter after a line with a checkbox, and it keeps adding checkbox items.  In iOS when you hit enter after a line with a checkbox at the beginning, it converts it into the strikethrough checkbox list.  I have to hit undo, hit enter again to add a new line, manually find and select the checkbox icon to add a checkbox, then type text behind it.  Very inconvenient.  An automatic checkbox list (non strikethrough type) like in Windows would be much easier.

See attached screen captures.

Thanks,

Rich

checkbox win 1.png

IMG_8143.jpg

IMG_8144.jpg

• Like 1

4 replies to this idea

3 hours ago, bobosnap said:

An automatic list with Checkboxes like in the Windows version would be very helpful on iOS as well.  There is a checkbox list in iOS, but it does strikethrough when you check off an item.

You appear to be using the legacy version of Evernote for Windows which did not have a checklist. The new apps replace the automatic checkbox functionality with a "checklist" which does the strikethrough as you indicated. The new iOS app is consistent with the new Windows, Mac, and Android apps in that regard.

• Level 5

On the new clients, there is both: Checklist with strikeout, and checkboxes without. Both can be used.

Checklists are meant for - well, checklists. Checkboxes are meant for other uses, like templates used to create a form that needs to be checked. To support this, Checkboxes can be used in any layout, several in single line of text, not only in list form. Very flexible.

The only caveat is that when arranging checkboxes in a list style, it will auto convert to a checklist when hitting enter. To avoid this, one can insert a "space" in front of each checkbox.

Or let go the past, embrace the future, and learn to love the checklist feature. I do - strikeout is really cool, and a great motivator when working down ToDo's.

Take that, evil task ! Done !!!

Thank you for the replies, but the whole point is I don't like the strikethrough checklist.  My great motivator is seeing the checkboxes checked off, but still being able to easily read the text of what I checked off.  I like the old checklist like I have in my legacy version of Windows.  

I would like another option of when you use a checkbox, and hit enter to make the new line, it automatically creates another line starting with a checkbox.  Basically, it would be nice to have the option of choosing a checklist that doesn't do strikethrough.

Thank you for the tip on putting the space in front of the checkbox to prevent Evernote automatically converting it back to a strikethrough checklist.  This is at least something.

Thanks,

Rich

• Like 1