V10: does it make sense to still have platform specific forums?

Hi all,

just wondering where to post a request for enhancement (e. g. a real tag filter) in the future...since we get (got) a common user interface / functionality this request applies to all platforms. OK, there is the „general“ section, but is this really still necessary, esp. for requests?

What do you think?

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

Hi all,

just wondering where to post a request for enhancement (e. g. a real tag filter) in the future...since we get (got) a common user interface / functionality this request applies to all platforms. OK, there is the „general“ section, but is this really still necessary, esp. for requests?

What do you think?

Good question, and I've wondered the same especially when I see @gbarry post the exact same change list for new Windows and Mac updates 🙂.  I think they need to tell us if there is enough of a difference to justify the separate sections.  I think a consolidation would be helpful if it makes sense.

• Like 1

And complains are different. Many Mac users are focused on tabs and scripting, while Windows users permanently ask for import folders.

May be be performance issues will be different on special OSes  as well.

But I agree that more than 80% of topics seem to be the same (and crossposted and repeated everywhere...)

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback!

This is certainly something we've been looking into.

For the time being, we will continue the separation by specific platform in the forums.

The reason for this is that many of our users still perceive Evernote as platform specific, especially due to the fact that the new clients have just recently launched, we're still actively supporting the legacy clients, and we want to help make sure users can quickly find what they're looking for during this time. 

Also, since we did staggered releases for some of the clients, iOS & Android for example, we did not want to create a forum section called "Mobile" that only contained the new version of iOS, while Android was still behind in terms of new client updates. 

That being said, with the parity across platforms you're seeing with the new clients, I believe we'll eventually pare down the number forums to essentially "Desktop", "Mobile", and "Web" as those will better reflect the current state of the product.

Let me know if you have any questions, and please continue to share your thoughts/feedback!

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Shane D. said:

I believe we'll eventually pare down the number forums to essentially "Desktop", "Mobile", and "Web" as those will better reflect the current state of the product.

Hi Shane, I think this will mostly work well, but I do have a suggestion: please see if you can require or encourage users to state their operating system for every new post. This will minimize unnecessary back-and-forth, as while most Evernote functionality will be shared, there will alway be a few technical details that are specific to each operating system and the community will be better able to suggest workarounds and such if they know the specific operating system being used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1