terrible new version, many questions

I've been using evernote for almost ten years now. This one is just awful, nothing seems to work anymore.

- How can I do a complete backup / export, when I can only select 50 notes at a time?

- How do I create checkboxes without making them into an indented list? What's the shortcut? I often use many checkboxes in one line of text, so a simple on/of switch for one checkbox for each line is just not helpful.

- How do I insert a horizontal dividing line?

- How do I create and follow internal links in one click? I don't need a choice between internal and web links each time, I'll never want to create a web link. I also don't need to see the full length internal link, and rarely need the options, so why do I need 2 clicks now instead of one for everything concerning internal links?

- How do I sort stacks among the notebooks?

- Why is it so unresponsive?

Hint: if the answer to most of these questions is 'not possible anymore', then this update was idiotic.

• Like 1

Honestly, why did you guys fix something that wasn't broke?

My productivity has greatly decreased because of useless and confusing changes

not to mention that many very useful features have been dropped! WTH

we need a tool to go back to the version that WORKED FINE

In fact, I cant find a SINGLE CHANGE that was an improvement.

Again, WTH

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, eman188 said:

Hi.  We're mainly other users in the forum,  so I can honestly say "it wasn't us" (for a change).

For more on that... https://evernote.com/blog/state-of-the-product/

Meantime https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 1
17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  New version / cut down for launch / more options coming / meantime - Legacy -  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Thank you for giving this hope. I am using Evernote since last 9 years and my heart complete broke when I installed latest version. Extremely bad work by evernote.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, eman188 said:

My productivity has greatly decreased because of useless and confusing changes

not to mention that many very useful features have been dropped! WTH

we need a tool to go back to the version that WORKED FINE

In fact, I cant find a SINGLE CHANGE that was an improvement.

Again, WTH

My whole day spoiled today because of upgrade!!!!!!!!!!! Too bad work from evernote.

• Like 1

Editing of note constituting mainly of images does not work properly.

If image a and b are side by side and image c below, then hitting return creates a line below c not between ab and c, making it impossible to order images vertically in the abc order.

There is no way to have images close to one another, large space is always inserted.

Previous version was much better.

I'm curious why someone thought that putting tags at the BOTTOM of the note was a good idea, made any sense at all, was a smart UX choice, and whether it was tested with current users or just some developers "great" idea. At least tags are still there - they were removed from the ios clipper for some time and even now work awkwardly on ipad but broken on iphone.

With tags that could be positioned top or bottom, it could be a preference setting - oh wait, there is but a single "preference" in mac version now - shared below... this is so rushed and so incomplete. if it was a new program MVP for sure, but for a program with as many PAID users as evernote that's been around for so long. Very disappointing.

And it seems I can't get my money back on my subscription, even though THEY broke what was working just fine...

image.png.811bca2898c2dbba7e64d00704abb9f6.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, BEE said:

I'm curious why someone thought that putting tags at the BOTTOM of the note was a good idea, made any sense at all, was a smart UX choice

You missed the interview where the CEO said tags are used by less than 2% of users

• Like 2
10 hours ago, DTLow said:

tags are used by less than 2% of users

Yes, isn’t that sad, tags are one of the most useful and powerful features of Evernote Classic played down in this way, I felt they were belittled by Ian, virtually laughed at by him in that interview. We moved them down to the bottom of the screen to save screen real estate, rubbish, they take up more room down there and it’s inconvenient to have to look up and down, top and bottom just to process your notes, one after the other. Instead they should be elevating them, trying to get more users to find out how tags could transform their workflows into something wonderful instead of just using Evernote like one massive standard filing cabinet. I don’t think the current management know how to use Evernote properly, they are so new to the company. 

• Like 4

i though it was offensive the way he dismissed tag users as "only 2%" of total users

disdain for "minorities" is a bad thing.

our premium subscription costs the same as "98%"  if that number is even true, users are bdly in need of learning this very useful feature.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, eman188 said:

i though it was offensive the way he dismissed tag users as "only 2%" of total users

Don't think it was offensive - he just commented on the level of use they saw.  And the more I think about it,  the less useful that figure is - did he mean 2% of all users?  Of active users? - and how do you define 'use';  can Evernote detect each time you click a tag to add it to a search?  Or are they counting the number of times someone assigns a tag to a note?  Or searches?

If you're measuring the importance of a given feature to users,  maybe tagging is something you do 2% of the time - given that you're clipping / writing / searching / creating new notebooks & stacks...  But those are time-intensive activities.  I could have created and applied about a thousand tags in the time it's taken me to write this note - tagging is quick and easy and just doesn't take much time at all.

I just think he's wrong....

• Like 1

He did seem to treat tag users with contempt, If this statistic is true it’s something he should have not shared out of shame for the lack of use of one of the most powerful and useful features in a database. I don’t think he uses tags himself. He really only brought it up to justify their downgrading to the bottom of the screen instead of next to the notebook name at the top. The guy doesn’t seem to know how to use his own software properly. Tags Rock. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 12/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, DTLow said:

You missed the interview where the CEO said tags are used by less than 2% of users

In the latest video, tag users are now at 5%     
Still don't believe it; I can believe the CEO isn't a tag user

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
51 minutes ago, DTLow said:

In the latest video, tag users are now at 5%     
Still don't believe it; I can believe the CEO isn't a tag user

I can believe that no one in senior management uses Evernote on a daily basis. In fact, I'd bet money on it.

Of course they disabled comments on the video.  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hello Developers/CEO of Evernote:

You do realize Google Documents, Google Keep, and One Note are 100% free and have much of the functionality of Evernote.

I just watched in horror - as I installed Evernote and it's a piece of *****. It keeps popping up with blank window. When I go to "About" to find version I get white - blank Window. Same thing happens when  I check for updates.

Did you beta test this with any users? I'm using Windows version - wonder if Mac version is as bad.

I luckily found Legacy version and it works just fine.

You need to get your act together ASAP - and make a solid project - with TAGS at top - or Google/Microsoft juggernaut will sadly crush you.

I've been user for at least 10 years - not sure I'll make it to 11 years 😝 🙄

Clyde 

• 7 months later...

I've been using evernote for, I think, 12 years now (maybe more).  I worked in silicon valley at the time, and was blown away by evernote classic's layout.  It was mostly because the tags were so useful.  I can barely remember how it looked now but it's worth looking up.  At the time, I thought Evernote should consider making an operating system with the tag functionality.  It was that good.  

They got rid of that many years ago (6-7 years ago).  the "tags" page is completely useless to me.  the tags were brilliant because they could be nested.  It literally looked like a file system, but you could also have as many tags with the same name as long as they weren't on the same nested level.  

Evernote has gotten better recently.  But I wish they would bring it back.  It was a game changer for big projects.