Line spacing in Evernote does not translate to Postach.io

Before upgrading to 10.4.4 today, notes created in Evernote appeared in Postach.io more or less as they did in Evernote. Now, however, all the line spacing in Evernote disappears when I publish a note to Postach.io, making for ugly, difficult-to-read blog posts. To illustrate the problem, here is a post from today (https://jenesis.postach.io/post/2020-12-08-from-the-to-do-list-to-the-to-day-list) vs yesterday (https://jenesis.postach.io/post/2020-12-07-who-sits-at-the-head-of-your-table). Both notes look the same in Evernote, but very different in Postach.io. Can you help me to resolve this issue? 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, jenholl said:

Both notes look the same in Evernote, but very different in Postach.io

Hi.  I just took a look in Chrome and they look exactly the same to me - am I missing something?  Try restarting your browser / device and check again!  (Or maybe Postach.io was having a hiccup...??)

Hi @gazumped and @Lemayp. I posted the original version of the post on Dec 8 (no line spacing between paragraphs). Then, on Dec 9, I installed the legacy version of Evernote and recreated the post (I had to strip away all formatting then add back in my hyperlinks) and reposted (line spacing between paragraphs). I then deleted the original posting (fortunately the original URL address still worked). So depending on when you followed my link, you may have seen the legacy-generated version of the post.

To demonstrate the continued issue, I generated a note in Evernote 10 (Test of line spacing: https://jenesis.postach.io/post/test-of-line-spacing) and published it to my blog (jenesis.postach.io). I experimented with different formatting in Evernote 10 to see whether it would make a difference in how the post looked on Postach.io, but the problem persists. Whether I have one line space or two lines spaces after a paragraph in Evernote, the line spaces all disappear in Postach.io, which makes for a very ugly post.

As a paid Evernote subscriber, I don't think that the solution for me is to go back to Evernote 6. Surely this issue can be fixed in Evernote so that my posts in Postach.io look as good generated in Evernote 10 as they did in Evernote 6. There may be other issues created by the switch to Evernote 10, but I haven't seen enough of a pattern to identify them.

Postach.io + Evernote has been incredible to this point. I had looked at other blogging platforms but was thrilled when I found Postach.io as a solution. It is incredibly easy to use since I was already using Evernote for my blog (I would email subscribers a link to the Evernote post) before I decided to go public. Postach.io + Evernote is a terrific combination since I can do all my layout in Evernote and, generally speaking, what I see in Evernote is what shows up in Postach.io. If I need to correct an error, I just fixed it in Evernote and sync and it shows up in Postach.io a minute or so later. I could go on and on about Postach.io + Evernote, and would gladly sing the combination's praises. That's why I'm so keen to solve my line spacing issue with Evernote 10. Until then, I'm back to using the legacy version of Evernote.

Thanks for your help and the quick response. I greatly appreciate it.

Jen

Edited by jenholl
Added more information to help with diagnosing my problem.
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

...and how did you get that layout anyway?  I'm jealous - are you using markdown or HTML and is this a custom layout or one from Postach.io?  <envy><mumble><envy> 😃  

To better answer your questions, I used the default layout from Postach.io. I am not using markdown or HTML. I simply create my post in Evernote with all the formatting and hyperlinks and images I like and then ensure that the note is in my Evernote Postach.io folder (it's how Postach.io knows what notes to publish). Once I tag a note Published in the Evernote Postach.io folder, the post goes live on jenesis.postach.io. It couldn't be simpler. The notes the explain About and Contact are tagged with both Published and Page. It's such a simple, elegant solution.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have about Evernote + Postach.io. I've discovered a few quirks that I've easily overcome given my experience with Evernote. But the line spacing issue has me stumped.

@jenholl I am not an evernote employee so I won't be able to provide you the answers your are looking for. I am using postach.io since several years too, but I  haven't post anything new recently, since the introduction of Evernote10.  I'll try to find some time to explore you situation and see if I can propose something.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
54 minutes ago, jenholl said:

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have about Evernote + Postach.io.

Thanks! - I'm going to go back over my account there and see what I missed.  I've been busy trying out Markdown - which is limited in the layouts and styles it will support - and HTML - where I got sidetracked trying to find a WYSIWYG editor that will translate reasonably laid out pages to more complex HTML.  Haven't found one to my liking yet. (No suggestions invited from anyone either - I'm hijacking the post here more than enough already!)  My hodgepodge of pages is here,  but you inspire me to go back and try harder!!

OK: back on track...  Other than the slight difference in the header panel in the two images @Lemayp added (which might be down to cropping) I still don't see any differences between the two pages.  As far as I know Evernote only maintain one copy of your database on their server.  Any differences between the versions you see on your local PC is purely a matter of translation between the separate downloaded databases serving each app on your device.  Postach.io (again AFAIK) take the server-based content of your note and wave their blogging magic over it.  So new version or old version,  what gets to the server should be pretty much the same content,  which is what drives your blog page.

I think we (well,  you anyway) need Postch.io involved in this*,  and what we need is a new test blog page set up in both v6 and v10.  I suggest creating your page in a word processor and copying the same content into a note via the v6 app,  and another copy into a note via the v10 app.  Let's see whether there are differences between the two published blog pages,  and if so,  let's export the source notes - again in their respective app - to ENEX files,  where we can compare the content.

If there are coding differences,  then Evernote and Postach.io will have to work it out between them which end of the process needs to be changed.  Evernote suffers from time to time when one or another browser change their interface and temporarily 'kill' Clipper until they can go back and change things.  In this instance I think Postach.io might have to change stuff if there is an issue,  but let's cross that bridge if it's necessary!

* As I'm sure you know,  Postach.io's chat link is the green icon at bottom right of your account page - they're usually pretty quick to respond,  but it can take a few days.  You might like to raise an Evernote support query now - with the current delays,  and that holiday thing coming up very shortly,  they won't be asking for more details until we'll be in a position to supply some.. - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

Sorry to give you so much homework,  but what else were you going to be doing for the next two weeks?  Happy Holidays!  😷🎄

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, jenholl said:

As a paid Evernote subscriber, I don't think that the solution for me is to go back to Evernote 6. Surely this issue can be fixed in Evernote so that my posts in Postach.io look as good generated in Evernote 10 as they did in Evernote 6. There may be other issues created by the switch to Evernote 10, but I haven't seen enough of a pattern to identify them.

@jenholl An interesting conundrum. Let me say that there is absolutely no reason to use Evernote 10 for the time being.  If your use requires the features/functions of EN 6 then you should feel relaxed using the legacy version. In time v6 will be withdrawn but I doubt that will be anytime soon. Too many things are promised to bring v10 up to speed.

This particular issue may not be entirely an Evernote thing. For sure v10 has changed something that affects how Postach.io is recognising carriage returns+line feeds but Evernote might say that the issue is with Postach.io. As a product that uses the API to create the blog pages it may be that Postach.io needs to amend their side to work with the new formats etc. Of course they might be waiting to see when the bulk of their users are with v10.

All that said, I can confirm the same result if I update a test Postach.io blog that I have. BUT I get this whether or not I use v6 or v10 of Evernote. So there is an issue but  I'm not sure which side of the journey to speak to.  I think I'd give Postach.io support a go... It is possible that they have updated their side of the document exchange. Have you changed theme recently or do you pay for Postach.io and have made some custom changes?

• Evernote Expert
2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I think we (well,  you anyway) need Postch.io involved in this*,  and what we need is a new test blog page set up in both v6 and v10.  I suggest creating your page in a word processor and copying the same content into a note via the v6 app,  and another copy into a note via the v10 app.

As well as seeing v6 and v10 content it might need to be created in indepdent Ev ernote accounts. Create something in version6 and then open v10 and who knows what is going on in the background ;)

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

A further update... I loaded my Postach.io blog page and for a brief moment (a slow connection moment) I could see the post in all its glory with line spaces. Then the screen refreshed and the line spaces had gone.  I suspect an issue at Postach.io.

Thanks @agsteele, @gazumped and @Lemayp for helping me with this issue. 

I am using two separate computers: one with Evernote 6 on it and one with Evernote 10 on it. For the purposes of troubleshooting this issue, I just created the same note, from scratch, in the two instances. The page created with Evernote 6 (https://jenesis.postach.io/post/2020-12-10-test-page-generated-in-evernote-6-jenesis-readers-please-ignore) shows up in Postach.io exactly as it does in Evernote. The page created with Evernote 10 (https://jenesis.postach.io/post/2020-12-10-test-page-generated-in-evernote-10-jenesis-readers-please-ignore) does not; all the line spaces disappear. 

It is possible that the issue lies with Postach.io and I have sent an email to them. In the meantime, I will, as you suggested @agsteele, continue to use Evernote 6. One question: can I have two instances (Evernote 6 and Evernote 10) running on the same computer? I borrowed my son's Surface and downloaded Evernote 6, and have Evernote 10 on my Surface. Can I add Evernote 6 to my Surface to run in parallel with Evernote 10?

Jen

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Yes, it is entirely possible to have both v10 and v6 on the same PC. They should not interfere with one another.  But, for this particular issue, be careful not to access the notebook you use with Postach.io in Evernote 10. It is likely to update any notes that are on screen without you doing anything. The first you might know about that would be when blog posts are reformatted.  I'd still put money on this being a PI issue - but not much money ;)

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

OK - absolutely confirmed;  there's a clear difference between the two versions of the page.  Please let us know what PI say!

I will @gazumped. Unfortunately, Postachi.io is a tiny company and doesn't have the resources the Evernote has, so it may take a while to hear back from them.

Do you know the answer to my other question: can I have two instances of Evernote (6 and 10) running on the same computer?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, jenholl said:

Do you know the answer to my other question: can I have two instances of Evernote (6 and 10) running on the same computer?

Yes,  sorry;  as @agsteele said - Evernote Legacy (v6.25.2) will run alongside v10.x and you can switch seamlessly(ish) between the two.  Until you hear from Postach.io though,  I'd be very careful not to open your blogging notebook in v10 just in case Evernote's little elves run some kind of riot and re-arrange the furniture in there.  If you can it might be safer to stay with two separate laptops and just use the one with v6 when you blog.  Full disclosure: I'm dug in my bunker using the last public version before v10 - I'm on 6.25.1 - and I have no plans to be anywhere near v10 for the forseeable future!!  I am not an 'early adopter' - it usually means tears before bedtime...  🙂

56 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Yes, it is entirely possible to have both v10 and v6 on the same PC. They should not interfere with one another.  But, for this particular issue, be careful not to access the notebook you use with Postach.io in Evernote 10. It is likely to update any notes that are on screen without you doing anything. The first you might know about that would be when blog posts are reformatted.  I'd still put money on this being a PI issue - but not much money ;)

Thanks @agsteele. That's great to know. I will report back here once I hear back from Postach.io.

Jen

• 4 months later...

Everything worked well for four months until yesterday. My Postach.io page no longer syncs with Evernote. So whether I publish a page in Evernote or edit an existing published page, the new page or updated page do not show up in Postach.io. I publish everyday to my blog (https://jenesis.postach.io/), so I'm pretty disappointed. And it seems impossible to find a number to contact Evernote, and the Postach.io folks are so thin on the ground that I don't hold out hope that they will contact me anytime soon. Any suggestions? ~Jen

• Evernote Expert

And who can say where the issue lies? This is just as likely to be an issue with Postach.io as with Evernote.  I heard some reports of issues with an application using the Evernote API yesterday. Postach.io will certainly be using the API to do its thing. So it could be at the Evernote side of things if the API is broken.  If that's the case then I'd anticipate a fix.  THere isn't a phone number to call Evernote but I had a successful webchat exchange with support two days back. evernote.com/contact and follow the the link to access additional support options. You'll have to be logged in to do that.

• Like 1

Thanks @agsteele. I appreciate this information and knowing that something changed on the Evernote side yesterday. I've emailed Postach.io and tweeted to Postach.io and Evernote. I'll try to reach Evernote, as you've suggested. ~Jen

P.S. @agsteele. I tried to login at evernote.com/contact, but when I do, it takes me to my Evernote instance. When I go back to the contact page, it doesn't show that I've logged in. I can't figure out how to chat with Evernote. It shouldn't be this hard for Premium payers to get help from Evernote. I'm so grateful for your support and guidance. ~Jen