Remove Strikethrough?

So, I just updated to the 10.4.4 version for Mac and now when I put a checkmark in the boxes in my checklists, the whole lines puts a strikethrough line through my text. I do not want this; is there any way to turn that off. Everything I've tried is not working. Please, help! 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, jbobbs said:

So, I just updated to the 10.4.4 version for Mac and now when I put a checkmark in the boxes in my checklists, the whole lines puts a strikethrough line through my text. I do not want this; is there any way to turn that off.

Strikethrough is a feature of checklists   
You could use separate checkboxes instead

• Like 1

And how can I add checkboxes without having to go through the menu? Before I could add those by writing "[ ]" but now this creates a checklist item. IMHO a simple checkbox and not a checklist should be the default. Why separate that anyway!? Evernote is not a todo-planner!

• Like 3

I want to remove the strikethrough as well. Super Annoying, because it obscures the original line text. I hope this is bug, not a feature, and the either remove it or add to preference toggle to turn it off. 

• Like 6
  • Level 5

No, the default for a checklist is a checklist (reached from the formatting icon bar), and the default for a checkbox is a checkbox (reached from the "insert" dialogue). Only when you create a series of checkboxes at the beginning of a series of paragraphs, EN tries to help you and converts the boxes into a checklist.

Because the checkboxes are not meant to be used a a checklist, they are meant to be used as individual, active box-design elements, for example to create templates for repetitive work tasks the need to be ticked of.

You can complain that you don't like it that way, but really: Is this an issue to fill posts and pages of this forum telling how bad things are, and this is THE reason to stop using the product ?

IMHO there are other, significantly more relevant issues with v10 than a list feature that produces a neat strikeout when you set an item to "DONE".

Tell me: How do I do a checkbox with the markdown syntax in Evernote? Until now this was simply "[ ]" which now converts it into a checklist item. IMHO the syntax for that would probably better be something like "- [ ]". And then also I want to put a series of checkboxes into a single row. Up until now I could just enter "[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]" and it converted all of them to checkboxes. Not the first is ending up as a checklist item and the rest are checkboxes. And I have no QUICK way to put a checkbox other then going through the menu.

Evernote for me is about productivity and having to move my hand from my keyboard to the mouse, up to the toolbar to put a simple checkbox is just something they made a lot worse to solve a problem that didn't exist for me personally (strikethrough of list items).

And if there are plenty of people complaining about it, it seems to be a problem for us.

And a checkbox is not always something that needs to be DONE.

Now I am [x]

• Like 4

I also despise the new strikethrough feature. I understand that I can create a checkbox instead of a checklist but there are no shortcuts to create checkboxes, and there are two different shortcuts for creating checklists (either ctrl-shift-c or [ ] ). This seems like a bug since in here it says that [ ] should be a shortcut for creating a checkbox (not a check list).

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

-1 .... just want to add my voice that I really hope that Evernote doesn't change this.  I really like the strikethrough when completing check list items and the ability to add a check box in-line separate from a checklist item that impacts the entire line.  

• Like 2

Why not both? Whenever they get around to putting Preferences back that users actually care about, they could give us the option to use strikethrough or not.

At the moment, I'm ambivalent. In some cases, I really like the strong, visual indicator that the strikethrough provides. But sometimes I wish that the text wasn't obscured. For now, if there's text that I don't want obscured, I add bullet items under the check item so I can more easily refer to them if I need to. That solution is working pretty well for me so far and I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds, even if I'm altering my workflow slightly.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Enzerch, that works while editing the note only. If you go to a different note and come back to the note with the bulleted-list-checkboxes, the checkboxes have reverted to strikethrough format and the bulleted list itself loses its bullets, but keeps the indentations. I just verified this four times, and after a restart, and after restarting just Evernote. 

• 6 months later...

I'm going to bail Evernote altogether over this. It's a massive pain and there are a lot of us who are frustrated by it, yet nothing has been corrected in any of the latest updates. This strikethrough feature has rendered Evernote unusable for my purposes now. If someone creates a list with checkboxes that have been checked and submits it to someone else, they can't even read the words because of the strikethrough. This was not an improvement. I'll be finding a better service. I've been an Evernote user for years. Disappointed. 

• Level 5

Some don’t like it, and they will comment here.

Others like it, but they usually don’t show up in the forum. So I do: I like the strikethrough, they added a nice visual feature  to checklists that make working them down more motivating and fun. Take that, evil task !

Personally I have no problem to read any of the text, even when the strikeout goes right through it. It is a thin line, not a thick bar that might be blocking the view.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Here is another complain. When create a task and mark it as done, the task will greyout and strikethrough. I don't like this feature, evernote should allow to choose different visual style, say when the task is marked as done, the text should be the same. The reason I favor the later is that when a task is done,  it is just done, should not disappear or strikethrough (like deleted text).  like the checkbox or the round dot in front the mark or unmark is enough to show the task is done, no need to strikethrough nor grey out.

• 9 months later...

yep, this "feature", this plague upon my peaceful life is garbage. There should be a way to set the default behavior.

So let's say the Evernote programmers got tons of feedback that people want this feature, make it the default, that's ok, but leave a way to keep a friggin regular, non-strikethrough check box type.

It's hideous how much fighting I have to do with the program to get it to stop auto formatting or work around this feature.

One of the other bad programming ideas is that if you click the check list icon - you can only undo, you can't simply click the check list (or check list next to bullets) to toggle it away.

I do like EverNote overall but I'd score this feature as a -8 out of 10 (because like I said, it's a plague on my peace and productivity and that's not why I pay for software).

Now that I've vented, and google searched and found this forum that says this bug is a feature I did some exploring and it seems if you click the plus and then the check box you can insert them individually so it's not impossible to do (again, I want the whole default to be customizable).