Upgraded to the latest version and missing all of the fonts!

Can someone please explain to me why on earth Evernote had to go and ruin something that worked perfectly fine? Who in their right mind on the development team thought it was a good idea to get rid of all of the custom fonts and instead give us generic and old school styled fonts? Not to mention we now have only FIVE choices! I mean WTF? You just severely limited my choices on how I can choose to change what I see fit. 

Seeing as I'm a paying subscriber, if this issue isn't fixed ASAP, please cancel my subscription. Why should I be giving a company my hard earned money just so I can have mediocre fonts, not to mention all of the other limited abilities we now have. I will gladly take my business elsewhere if the development team doesn't get a grip and take our concerns seriously! 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  The number of fonts might go up in future updates, but the limited choice is because we users demanded that Evernote make notes look the same on all devices. Since Windows uses fonts that Mac does not,  and vice-versa - and the same for Android and iOS... and by the way the respective fonts are owned by each platform... the only was the company could satisfy the demand was for Evernote embed their own fonts and use only them.

As a subscriber,  you can fairly easily change your account to non-paying by signing into Evernote.com and going to settings > manage my subscription.

• Level 5

You can have free font selection one each client (not compatible between operation systems), or you can have notes that look alike on all devices, independent from the OS they are running.

To have the same look & feel on all clients was one of the major user wishes here in the forum for a long time. EN decided to implement it. Now that is what we got, like it or not. At least your templates will not change when you switch between desktop and mobile, for example.

The "unified" fonts are pretty much rooted in the new editor, and I doubt this will be changed again. Maybe there will be more fonts installed, to all clients. But it will still not be the same you are used to, depending on which OS you are using.

• 2 months later...

The new fonts are absolute disgusting. I am paying for the app and I did not ask for such a stupid change. Every software/app I know give you the right to change the fonts as you like and EN has the balls to restrict our rights?

• Like 1

There are 1000s of free fonts online that can be used with ANY OS. I just don't get it. The six fonts look horrible and don't make sense (Script and Handwritten are similar).

All of the config options are gone. I'm stuck with the horrible note name at the top. Cannot even change its font. Wanna go back to the old version :-(

These new fonts are HORRIBLE.  It's absolutely unconscionable what they've done.  I cannot read things well in ANY of the six fonts.  WTH were they thinking?  I'll tell you what I'M thinking.  It's time to take my notes elsewhere.  Maybe OneNote, Google Keep, Notability, or any of the other products that respect their users and don't impose global changes upon them that constantly REDUCE their functionality and usability experience and migrate features UP the stack to higher priced tiers.  I'm pretty much done with them, I think.

• 1 month later...

UGH. The organization and readability of my information is very dependent on my usage of fonts, and you've taken away this useful feature. It makes no sense. How about letting me use custom fonts on the desktop and letting me deal with my choice and understanding that when I do so my iOS may look different?

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The way you describe IMHO is the perfect description to create the worst piece of bloatware possible.

If the app allows to switch every users pet feature on and off at will, it leads to a large number of mainly unused code, dependencies and in the end the loss of releaseability. If I take fonts: It was probably pretty simple to design a limited use of fonts, because it is a simple solution in itself, plus it helps to keep the editor lean. Allowing a user choice here would mean a complete font management tool in addition, and probably massive changes to the editor as well.

As I see it v10 makes it necessary for all of us to ask ourselves whether we want to develop jointly with the new EN, or want to stay put with our current workflows. Staying currently is possible through the legacy clients (on desktop), but this means to continue dancing on a party that is going to end one day. That usually results in a bad headache the next day.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

PinkElephant wrote: "If I take fonts: It was probably pretty simple to design a limited use of fonts, because it is a simple solution in itself, plus it helps to keep the editor lean. Allowing a user choice here would mean a complete font management tool in addition, and probably massive changes to the editor as well."

But this worked well in the older version! I've made up my notes very carefully, with different fonts to distinguish and mark passages. It is not good practice to change the mark-up / layout of notes without the possibility to keep the old fonts. The upgrade to v10 is very top - down in this respect. This doesn't bid well for future updates and upgrades.

I agree with the criticisms in this thread. I still like Evernote overall, but this top - down approach towards paying and loyal customers is not appropriate. I've been member since 2011,

• Level 5

No, it did not work, at least not cross platform.

You may not have noticed, but fonts native to Windows like Arial or Calibri do not live on a Mac. They are under a license that comes with Windows, they are not free. Same with Mac fonts, not available on Windows.

To get around this, EN would have had to license all the fonts from all the IS providers. IMHO not possible, because it would have been a Backdoor for other services as well.

This is why EN decided to install their own set of fonts into the app.

I understand your problem. For the next time you can use the legacy client, with your set of fonts. However no easy fix if one day you switch to v10.

Add me to this thread please.  A gigantic leap backwards.  All the fonts are missing.  I've gone back to the legacy version.  I can also print from the legacy version which I cannot from the new version.  What is Evernote doing?  Awful.  And we pay for this crud.  

I changed back to the legacy app. The fonts are quite important to me, and overall I find the new version in many aspects less user friendly and a huge step backward. Makes me consider other providers.

• 3 months later...

This was a wildly idiotic decision to change the fonts. People clamoured for continuity on separate OS's ..... (must have been Apple users honestly) well congratulations now our notes look like ***** on everything instead of just your Mac. 

• 1 year later...

I didn't ask for it. Every application I ever use that edits text allows you to choose from the fonts of the underlying OS. That's the whole concept of a GUI, shared rescources. Even if you can't manage that then for the love of Pete allow selection of the default note font and size. That's simple enough as you were doing it before. Why take that out? I'm not a fan of this new, slower, bloaty version but the arrogant assumption that you know what we want is toothgrinding. I've been paying since 2011. Fix it.

• Level 5

Oh, an early riser among us ….

You are 2 years late to the party. The installed fonts in (say) Windows are legally not usable on a Mac, those from a Mac not on Android.

EN made it a priority that a note looks and feels the same, no matter which platform. The apps fonts are installed with the client, on each platform the same. They work independently from whatever fonts are installed on the OS.

And that’s it, the storm about fonts has subsided a long time ago. I don’t expect any major change in the editor.

You can contact EN through feedback or a support ticket.

• 5 months later...

Okay, I detest this font availability reduction like everyone else. It's one of the many reasons I stayed on EN Legacy (v7) for the past two years.  Now EN is forcing me to use v10, so I HAVE to acquiesce.  Is there at least some way to take text version 10 has made into what appears to be Times New Roman (can't tell what this font is named thanks to this new godawful UI) and change them to a less dreadful font?  I'd change the entire note, but most of the text changed my previous Helvetica Neue into Arial, which is an acceptable replacement.  But for a reason I can't ascertain, there are many phrases/sentences that got changed to Times New Roman, which I would've never used.   I'd like to say "find all the text in this font and change it to Sans Serif."  EN could've at least given us this tool if they were going to impose this Font fascism. 

• Level 5

No, I don’t detest anything.

I really like the fact that no matter which platform I use, EN notes keep their formatting, due to a font that is used everywhere.

All fonts installed on a certain OS are specific to that OS, and can’t be used on a different one without a license infringement. Your „Times NR“ is a Windows font, not available on a Mac, for example.

So speak for yourself - not for „everyone else“.

Default setting is SansSerif 16pts, and it can only be altered inside of a note, for this single note. Set a slab of text to your liking, choose the Standard Text Style, select use this style as Standard Text Style from the 3 dots menu.

No general setting for the standard font, often requested in the first months, it’s gotten more quiet about this feature request later.

When I said "everyone" of courseI didn't mean you, Level 5 Pink Elephant. I was talking about all the users that found themselves on this thread due to frustrations caused by the update, which far outnumber you.  I understand the reasons why EN has implemented this change.  And I thank you for that. 
As others said, I never had a problem with the formatting changing on different devices/OS.
I was here just looking for a simple way to select any font the updated EN inexplicably changed toa bogus font like Times NR (which, btw, has been on every Mac I've ever owned--unclear why you think that's  Windows-only font). But I'm gathering there's no solution for this. 

• Level 5

If you want a font from the serif font family, use the Serif Font. And that’s it, all you get.

Looking at the low number of negative reactions, I think most users either don’t care or (like me) welcome the simplicity.

If I want to go wild on fonts, I use other tools.

A setting to adapt the Standard text style would be nice - but within the current options.