October 2022 upgrade sucks!

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

Does anyone know if the old version will continue to be viable?  If there are no bug fixes, no upgrades, and no effort to ensure that it continues to work with OS updates then sooner or later using it will become untenable. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5*
40 minutes ago, mikea144 said:

sooner or later using it will become untenable.

Sooner or later,  yes.  But Evernote are working hard to make the new version acceptable,  and until then you have the older versions...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Today I got an email from my broker.  They have an excellent Android app that works well but they're replacing it.  The email says the new app has these great new features but lots of stuff isn't implemented yet.  Please give it a try if you're interested, and click on a button of the app to tell us what you like & what you don't.  And, DON'T DELETE THE CURRENT APP and keep using it as needed. 

I installed the new app, tried it, and told them what I like and what I don't.  The app isn't ready for prime time, doesn't do a lot of stuff, yet I'm happy.  My life isn't disrupted, and I get to influence decisions regarding the new app to make it better.  My view of the company is enhanced, not diminished.  To me that's a win for them. 

Not a bad approach.  I wish Evernote had thought of this.  They could have used a win too. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Al Padilla said:

There is essentially nothing in the way of tech support.

Hi.  This isn't Evernote's main support site.  You might find more help here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us including,  as you're a subscriber,  some links for individual email support.  Evernote don't usually respond on single user or policy issues here - it's a forum for any user to express their opinion.  Which,  as you've seen,  is usually freely given especially when major changes happen.

There have been some positive reviews,  though I'm not sure how much use those contributors actually got out of their account;  and Evernote have bounced up from version 10.0 to 10.5 in a couple of months,  which does suggest they're working hard behind the scenes to catch up.  Given that they have a LOT of users,  I think getting involved with arguments over what to do next and how they should have delivered their changes would be a total waste of resource.

I'm happy to see them fixing things.  In the meantime,  of course,  there's always Legacy:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 2

yes, first thoughts on seeing the new version was total disappointment from all that missing features. Evernote team could at least give us a migration guide to explain when it is a time to upgrade. Simple list of missing in progress features would work, so I would wait for a few months and migrate without feeling bad about the product.

Thanks for the link to restore an old version, this might work for now.

• Like 3

I thought that right-click had been disabled in the new version as it was so slow to respond!

I had some local PC notebooks that stored stuff that I didn't want shared to a shared ipad.

I had to permanently decrypt text to edit it.

At that point I gave up and de-installed version 10 and reverted to version 6.

I'm happy to have the new version if and when performance and features match the legacy version. If they don't I shall take my premium subscription elsewhere - very reluctantly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 11:23 AM, Luispabreu said:

The new Evernote sucks. A simple request: bring back the old one.

I don't see one single advantage of the new Evernote over the old one. Not one. This is a very simple request: bring back the old version.

I mean, what were they thinking?  Since upgrading I'm having a lot of issues with my typical flow of work.  I'm using GTD with Evernote and this new update broke almost everything within my usage pattern.  But the most disheartening is it's extremely poor performance.  I'll give it a try to install the old version.   

From a technical point of view it seems to me they're trying to merge the web and desktops apps into one?? is that the case??

• Like 1

Has anyone here reverted to the older version of Evernote and if so, any issues going back?   I've tried using the new version but its just not useable for me right now as many here have already pointed out so I'm ready to revert unless there be dragons there too.

I agree.  It WAS a good app - in fact I'd call it vital to my work.  Now I can't find anything, it doesn't load half of the time, the search functions make no sense, and I spend more time troubleshooting the damn app than I do actual work (right now is one of those times).  Whoever was behind the update clearly doesn't use the product.  Does anyone know of a way to get all the stuff I have in Evernote to a better app?

• Like 2
  • Level 5

... and the new clients are improving, with each release. Just loaded EN iOS 10.3, up to now it is looking good.

With some functions it is significantly better than the pre-10-clients, some other functions are still not there. What has improved as well is the preview of functions in the release notes they are currently working on, and will be released soon.

Everybody must see how good own use cases are supported. What may work for one person sometimes is not working for another. But in general, IMHO there is hope.

23 hours ago, JohnKnoepfle said:

Has anyone here reverted to the older version of Evernote and if so, any issues going back?   I've tried using the new version but its just not useable for me right now as many here have already pointed out so I'm ready to revert unless there be dragons there too.

I didn't necessarily "revert" -- I just have them both (v10 and legacy) installed at the same time -- on both my Mac and my Windows machine.

One feature that I miss in v10 is being able to manually change the update date of the note -- it's for part of my work flow. You can't arbitrarily change the update date of the note in v10 as far as I know. So I downloaded the "legacy" version in order to do that and I hope they add that feature back in v10.

I haven't noticed any issues running both versions at the same time -- but I haven't done a whole lot of testing either.

oh - and for what it's worth - i prefer using the new version -- i like the look and feel of it way more. There are some missing features I hope that make it back and it's not quite as snappy, but it works for me.

I'm encouraged to see a few minor things have been updated in the new version which tells me some effort is being made to bridge the gap from ver. 6. However, I have had to revert to Legacy because of missing functionality in ver. 10. Here is the feedback sent to Evernote using "Send feedback" button on new version (10.5.7).

I am unable to move from Legacy to the new version on Windows because functionality I depend on for my workflow is not available. For example:
1. I need to be able to sort the list view in Tag order to find the highest priority entries at a glance.
2. Also need to sort List view  by Reminder Date
3. Date format needs to be adopted from Windows setting as I use YY/MM/DD
4. Need List view to be sortable by Location (Notebook)
5. Left sidebar needs to include Saved Searches, not buried within Search bubble as I use my extensive list of saved searches for rapid navigation
6. Intitle: search needs to stay within the selected notebook (today it automatically reverts to All Notes during a new search)
7. Notebooks list contains mysterious new notebooks I did not create called "(Imported) mm/dd/yyyy" - can/should these be deleted?
8. Beside "All Notes" in left sidebar is a blue circle with the number 1 inside. Hovering over it causes a bubble to appear which says "1 reminder today" but clicking on it does nothing. I have over 5000 notes so clicking on the number should filter the list view to only notes with a reminder for today.

Hopefully, I will hear back from someone at Evernote with plans to address my concerns before they kill Legacy.

• Evernote Expert
On 1/11/2021 at 4:01 AM, rfhusband said:
7. Notebooks list contains mysterious new notebooks I did not create called "(Imported) mm/dd/yyyy" - can/should these be deleted?

Hopefully, I will hear back from someone at Evernote with plans to address my concerns before they kill Legacy.

You cannot anticipate a response in these forums from Evernote staff.  It is possible but unlikely as these are user-to-user support forums. The feedback button inside v10 doesn't generally bring a personal response either.

In that respect the Imported mm/dd/yyyyy notebooks were created in some of the earlier releases of v10.  You can check each one and if they still contain a note then move that to where you want it to be.  You can safely delete the random notebook and should not see these reappearing as the issue that caused them has as far as I know been resolved.

I don't believe that there is any plan to kill the legacy version at this point.  There are many issues like those you list and others which are scheduled to be tackled so you can bide your time with the legacy version for some weeks/moths to come.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
On 1/4/2021 at 9:24 PM, Qian12345 said:

I can not see the Send to Evernote right click menu in the windows. please help where I can find it back or it's not available in the new version.

You'll see this documented in these forums...

• Win+R and enter shell:sendto
    • Create shortcut to %localappdata%\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe
On 1/11/2021 at 4:01 AM, rfhusband said:

6. Intitle: search needs to stay within the selected notebook (today it automatically reverts to All Notes during a new search)

I had to go back to 6.25 to see how that behaved and was actually quite surprised that it does stay within the selected notebook as you say. I would personally expect any search using the search syntax to default to All Notes. I'd add notebook:XYZ if I wanted it limited to a particular notebook.

Keeping searches within the current notebook is not default behaviour for any search in V10, which is why they have included the add filter for the notebook you are in underneath the search text input.

image.png.b770037535e5f60c49b94bbc2f8ceebb.png

• Like 1
On 12/7/2020 at 11:23 AM, Luispabreu said:

I don't see one single advantage of the new Evernote over the old one. Not one. This is a very simple request: bring back the old version.

We are moving over to Joplin...this new mess with Evernote was the last straw for us.

• Like 1

I fell in love with Evernote in 2008, It seems with each update the program has moved away from the original useful program I fell in love with. I feel like I have to relearn the software with each new release, pretty bad since I've been using it almost 12 years!

The loss of being able to do quick screen captures is one of the main uses for Evernote, Why did they remove this? Why do I have to rely on a plug in on my browser, what about things that are not on the internet? What was quick and easy is now a 2 - 3 step process.

Evernote developers should be adding new features, not removing features many of us have relied on for years!

And yes the new layout is a train wreck!

• 2 weeks later...

I am very disappointed with the new version, but I am glad that I am able to use the old version.

The new version is really slow, I had to struggle to find out how to rename a notebook as they removed the right click, the formatting of the notes is very limited and restrictive, not able to format the code section, any many many other things that are missing which makes it unusable for me.

I really hope they will address all those issues soon or just continue with the old one which is WAY better...

• 3 weeks later...

This webpage in an app style version of Evernote for macOS makes no sense. The reason to use Evernote is because it is an elegant Native app.  This budget version will never due. When Evernote legacy no longer works,  I will have to migrate away from Evernote. For the first time in 10 years, Evernote will no longer be a piece of software that is always on.   I doubt I will ever use it again.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I just registered an account to voice my intense dislike for the overhaul. That's the level of frustration the new app brought to me. 30% of the time I'm scared of losing my audio recording if it's any longer than a few minutes. Using Evernote since ~2009, but not sure how much longer.

I need Evernote to organize my brain, not vice versa.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 3/17/2021 at 11:27 PM, DPSchenk said:

I just registered an account to voice my intense dislike for the overhaul. That's the level of frustration the new app brought to me. 30% of the time I'm scared of losing my audio recording if it's any longer than a few minutes. Using Evernote since ~2009, but not sure how much longer.

I need Evernote to organize my brain, not vice versa.

Use the legacy version?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Legacy obviously is too simple a solution. A real man must go through some misery, suffering and swearing before doing what could have been done right away. At least this seems to be the consensus between many postings here in the forum.

Install legacy ? My doctor voted against it. He meant using v10 is the perfect cure for my low blood pressure ...

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I completely agree with all points! Using Legacy version.

• Like 1
On 3/19/2021 at 6:40 PM, gazumped said:

Use the legacy version?

For those of us who rely on our phones, apparently there is no way back to the old Android app. The update is a disaster. Why is there no way to revert back to the old Evernote Android app? 

• Evernote Expert
49 minutes ago, promosinc said:

For those of us who rely on our phones, apparently there is no way back to the old Android app. The update is a disaster. Why is there no way to revert back to the old Evernote Android app? 

THese are the Windows forums. If you look in the Android app swection you'll see that a number of users have successfully rolled back to the old Android application.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I haven't used this forum so much before, this time I have to log in here and say: New Evernote sucks!😡

As a premium member and used Evernote since 2010, I was happy to know Evernote re-create the product. But after using the new Evernote for a few months, I found that many shortcuts/ basic function is removed. Here are just some of my experience:

1. Image in Evernote can not copy and paste to other software now!
  2. The long-press app icon shortcut in iOS is removed. Waited for a half year, it seems never to come back.
  3. The mobile app has a database error when I need this! I was in an offline environment, so I can't do anything!

There are many more!

Evernote team, why don't you just implement the new formatting tools in the legacy Evernote? It will just perfect and you can go ahead to make the "lite" version for the new users. When the new lite version can fit the needs of old users, we will happy to transfer to the new one. 

Now we are just disappointed and would consider to move on to "Apple Notes", "Notion", "OneNote", "Ulysses"... (Can you believe it? The build-in Apple Notes looks better than the new Evernote now! 🤯)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, kwdav said:

I have to log in here and say: New Evernote sucks!😡

You may be right, but why have you switched to a product that "sucks"   
It's definitely a work-in-progress
Personally, I'm still using the Evernote Legacy product

• Level 5

No legacy on iOS…

1) On iOS you can import any photo from the camera roll, and save it there. You can as well download to the files app, copy, print and a number of other actions depending on which other apps you have installed.

2) Long press actions are still to return …

3) For offline use you need to download your data first. EN iOS, settings, notebooks, offline notebooks. There are descriptions in the forum how to do it - the download only happens when the app is open and active (iOS restriction). 

EN v10 still needs some work, but IMHO with a little learning it is quite usable for the day to day tasks.

Thanks for the reply. 

@DTLow

The legacy Evernote is fine, but I am worried the legacy version will be down in a short term. If we don't raise out the negative comment, the Evernote Team will cut the legacy version quickly. Do you remember the food app?

And the other product is better than Evernote now. Why I have to stick to Evernote? Because I already have thousands of notes here. Beside, I have already moved some type of my notes and writing notes to "Notion" and "Ulysses". They works pretty good now.

@PinkElephant 

1. I am talking about the Mac version,  can't copy/drag the image to Gmail... It is really my day-to-day work needs...
  2. Yes...
  3. I have already made it offline before, and this was a critical moment. It makes me doubt the reliability of Evernote which I have trusted for 10 years.

And as I mentioned, they are only a few examples from hundreds of problems.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, kwdav said:

It makes me doubt the reliability of Evernote which I have trusted for 10 years.

I'm still on Legacy with 54K+ notes - and daily full database backups.  I'll worry about moving when and if I have to.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, kwdav said:

Thanks for the reply. 

@DTLow

The legacy Evernote is fine, but I am worried the legacy version will be down in a short term. 

On the plus side there is little to zero cost to EN to support legacy until a change to sync data occurs.  Then legacy won’t work.  

They could pull the plug before then for sure but legacy will be generating revenue for those that continue to use it at no developmental cost.   ***** shoot at the end of the day based on EN decisions of the past. 

EDIT:  The censored ***** refers to a dice game, singular. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

For a Basic account there is no payment needed. Some restrictions apply, some features are not accessible, but it does the job. If you are not able to run the app, it is probably better for you to pick something matching your computational skills.

• Evernote Expert
6 hours ago, Patrick Vee said:

Somehow my Evernote app is no longer accessible. 

Bye Bye,

Sorry you have a problem. Forum users would be happy to help you if you give us the information that might give us a chance. Whatever your problem, it isn't a forced upgrade to a paid account. Paying a subscription will not fix your problem. 

Anyway, this isn't an airport, so no need to announce your departure, but we wish you well on your journey.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I have Evernote 'premium' and did the 'update' a couple days ago: Evernote lost/tossed my usual log in and PW.

After setting up new PW, I find I cannot readily edit an entry in one of my folders...the 'pencil' they say to use to edit does not show up anywhere on the page.

I used a log in/PW protected folder within evernote to list some non-vital passwords. I use to be able to edit those easily as I changed PWs. No longer.

The 'works' header on any evernote page looks like a stolen section from Word but even less friendly, icon wise.

WTH is going on at evernote? 

Any tips on how to edit a few lines in an entry within a folder of listed info I have?

• Level 5*

Hi.

On 8/7/2021 at 9:24 PM, motordavid said:

WTH is going on at evernote? 

I'd be more concerned with what's happening to your account.  As a subscriber you have access to Support who presumably helped you reset your log in details.  If you still have an email address and ticket reference,  I'd suggest raising this with them;  otherwise see  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

Meantime you'll have access to your account via Evernote.com,  and if you haven't already installed the Legacy app,  that may be the way to get back to what I assume is a password protected file attached to a notebook.  "a log in/PW protected folder within evernote" doesn't make any sense to me.

Legacy is here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

You're the first user to have password and login issues in this way after an update - mostly folks find an 'empty' account,  because it seems a little easy to set up a brand new one by mistake.  

-And as you now know,  while Evernote is secure and generally accessible everywhere,  it's not a great idea to use it for passwords.  I use Bitwarden as a password vault - there are several reliable free options around.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I just discovered Evernote Legacy and it makes me so happy to have the old one back!  I was dreading my evernote and looking at alternatives but the Legacy feels like such a breeze to be able to use again!  Evernote, please just go back to Legacy (with bugfixes!)  I need a local app at full speed, not this slow electron *****.  I don't want the weird redesign and bulkiness. 

Evernote, if you want to grow your market or compete with Notion, etc, consider making spin off apps instead of messing with your core product!

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The „core“ product marketed by EN is v10. Legacy is a living dead: No further development, not even bug fixes, no support (other than to install v10). I think it will be along as long as it continues to work, but it will fall back, and maybe one day an OS update will kill it unintentionally, but finally.

If you are not happy with v10, or if it doesn’t support your use cases, I would use the time as long as legacy is available to move to another app. Or continue with legacy, and hope v10 improves enough to support you better in the future.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

maybe one day an OS update will kill it unintentionally, but finally.

With Windows 11 arriving within the next month we can anticipate that this may be a time for making good Legacy backups just in case...

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, agsteele said:

With Windows 11 arriving within the next month we can anticipate that this may be a time for making good Legacy backups just in case...

I may be waiting a few months on that upgrade…..  😉. Independent of EN status. 

• Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, CalS said:

I may be waiting a few months on that upgrade…..  😉. Independent of EN status. 

Me too, but there are many that will just receive it and not realise that some applications might at the very least need attention to keep running. As @PinkElephant said, the continued support for 32bit applications will be key for Evernote Legacy. Whenever I upgrade my standard practice is a full backup just-in-case ;)

• Like 1

Personally I'm not concerned about the Win11 upgrade.  I've been running MS Money on Windows since 2009 with no problems.  One thing Windows is good at is maintaining compatibility with earlier applications.  

In any case I backup everything every night to multiple media using multiple products just to be ready for the next catastrophe from the blue that is always a possibility. 

I'm much more scarred that EN will just arbitrarily pull the plug on the older versions (Windows & Android) and provide the same helpful and generous warning that they did when they released v. 10 which still lacks features that have been around for years that people rely on. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, mikea144 said:

Personally I'm not concerned about the Win11 upgrade

I admire your confidence,  but don't plan to update anything anytime soon.  "Fortunately" my 5-year old laptop is apparently not supported for Win 11 so I won't have a choice to make but my experience of WIndows over the years from 3.1 to now has not usually always been a happy one....

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Sticking with Evernote Legacy while it is still available. Once it goes, I might go as well. It is sad, I've been with Evernote since 2013 and was looking forward for an improved app. New version has many new functions but lost its original speed and simplicity. 

• Like 1

I haven't been here in many months.  Sounds as if there are still a lot of us using Legacy.  I'd try the new one but am worried I'd have issues getting back to Legacy if nothing much has changed.  On Android it seems every time I call the app up it has changed but so far I have been able to do what I wanted without too long a delay.

Can the new and old Windows versions run side-by-side?  I'd take another look.

Also, before I do that, though, I notice quite a few here are running Legacy so maybe I'll ask.  For those who have looked at the new version lately, do you see much improvement and promise?  Are there still important features missing?  Is it still slow? Is the GUI still uneconomical and awkward?

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, allendick said:

Can the new and old Windows versions run side-by-side?  I'd take another look.

Yes.

14 minutes ago, allendick said:

For those who have looked at the new version lately, do you see much improvement and promise?  Are there still important features missing?  Is it still slow? Is the GUI still uneconomical and awkward?

If you use the web version via Evernote.com,  that's v10 in all it's glory.  It's still missing a convenient way to backup the account to a local server,  and things are still... different... from the old apps.  Not sure that there are any major missing elements.  If you have a modern system you may not notice the rather larger footprint the new app seems to have.  Best advice is just to use it and see how you get on.  You can always use Legacy for some activities (like backups) if you need to.

Thanks.  Several minutes on the web page convinced me the new departure is a lost cause for me and I'll stick to Legacy. 

Too much eye candy and too much inefficient use of space, plus it is not intuitive. I wonder what they are tryin to accomplish.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

MY main issues with v10, currently, EN 10.22 desktop are these:

• Printing is improved, but still not on the level of legacy. A nice workaround is to export to pdf, and print this. For full pdf export abilities a Professional subscription is needed, but it will work well enough with Personal.
  • Multi note operations are in general slower than with legacy. With legacy the impression is that all actions are applied in one go to all notes (for example set a new tag), whereas v10 calls every note individually and executes the action. Plus in v10 there still is a cap of 50 notes in a single selection.

On the other hand, the much hyped legacy multi note actions can take a wrong turn as well. I recently used legacy offline to tag and move bulks of notes, typical housekeeping. I had to stop this after a while, because the client started to get sluggish. Restarting did not help.

There are IMHO many positive aspects with v10: The clients work the same on different platforms, the web client is way improved, the new editor is lean and at the same time superior to the old one. You will miss your fonts, if this is important for you (it is not for me). Maybe you will like the different colors added to the highlighter.  

Some don’t like specific aspects of the filter tools, but I really like the way to build a quick search by placing a few clicks. I could write a search term, but the filters make it easy. Then there are the new features like Home and Tasks - maybe less important for long term users with established workflows, but a nice addition for new users, and some stuff bundled to make the Professional subscription level.

My issues with EN iOS 10.18:

• Actually for me only one compared to the old iOS client: The Apple Watch support is still missing.
  • And using EN on older iOS devices (older than iPhone X and the first iPad Pros) takes patience - it is usable, but not fast. 

By all other means, the v10 iOS client is superior to everything EN had on that platform before. This does not say there would be no room for improvement: It is still not possible to select and work on several notes at once, and support for the special features of the iPad is practically non existent.

In general my use of EN is tipping more and more over to v10. Legacy today for me is only a stopgap for a few functions, nothing more. For sure legacy is not the future for EN.

My prediction is that anybody who does not make the move to v10 should better be looking for an alternative - now, using the availability of legacy for the transition. I think legacy will be around for a while, but it is like sitting on that one dead branch, while the tree is growing all around you. Not really fun, unless you are a woodpecker.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, allendick said:

Thanks.  Several minutes on the web page convinced me the new departure is a lost cause for me and I'll stick to Legacy. 

Too much eye candy and too much inefficient use of space, plus it is not intuitive. I wonder what they are tryin to accomplish.

And it is just S L O O O O W, performance and process.  For me anyway.  Still using legacy.

Just switched to Legacy this morning and it is infinitely better. The new version strikes me as being simply a web portal but I could be wrong. The new version processes so slowly that if I hit paste and then try to create a line between it and new content sometimes the line appears before the paste command is read. The spacing on the new version is also abysmal! It was never great before, sometimes you got double spacing when you didn't want to, but the new version adds and erases paragraph separations without any rhyme or reason. 

I am an attorney and use the paid version of Evernote to manage my cases. The new version is a bigger hassle than it is worth. If forced to use that inferior product in the future I will definitely move on to a competitor. Legacy is 100% the way to go.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you like it better, use it.

Just be prepared that one day it may stop working. I don’t think EN is killing it, but an OS update might send it to the trash. Fortunately it syncs to the same server database, so you can install a working client any time, and continue to use your server data.

I go to Legacy less and less, but still use it for backups or to do anything to more than about a half dozen notes. 

Today, I needed a Note HIstory, and it was blank in V10. Legacy had the full history. Not sure it this is a known bug, or another one of those one-off things. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just given up on the new Evernote and gone back to the legacy version. Apart from being very slow, especially when adding tags, there were multiple problems:

• items from import folder were always imported twice and moving to trash was slow
  • edits to the title were often partially lost
  • clipped items didn't appear in desktop version for hours - sometimes they had to be edited in the web version before they would sync with desktop
  • check lists converted to tasks when adding a new item. I couldn't work out how to start a new check list
  • forced use of sans serif font in new notes and limited choices of fonts
  • working with several selected notes was impossibly slow
  • legacy formatting problems remained, such as reducing text size didn't reduce leading

The iOS app froze after the lock screen. I have reinstalled this and so far it has been ok, but there are times when creating a new note is just too time consuming. This is forcing me to use other note taking apps, and I'm seriously considering evaluating alternatives to Evernote. Recent steep price increases have been accompanied by a massive loss of productivity

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Most of what you claim to be deficiencies are design decisions. If you don’t like them, switch to something else. Legacy is ok, but it is only a parking spot while deciding where to go.

A word about pricing: The Personal plan continues the old Premium subscription - more features, same price. 

If you had a rebated Premium, you could decide to stay on the rebated price, but no new features (apart from those Free users get as well), or go to full Personal. These are no price hikes, you can pay the same if you decide to do so. If you opt for Professional, you get an additional bundle of new features, for a moderate increase.

You don’t tell your math, but these are no „steep price increases“. These are no increases for the same or improved features, and some more for the new full set of features.

• Level 5

Let me see:

• Import folders: My experience is they work. If not, contact support.
  • Lost title edits. Never (Zero) happened to me. Looks like a bad sync - by design v10 syncs often. Check internet connection, especially ping, latency and package loss.
  • Lag in syncing: There was a bug, solved since July
  • Check list / Check box: Design decision. To make a checklist, select the text, and click on the checklist item on the editor Toolbar.
  • Font selection: Design decision. The font selection was reduced to make notes universal, independent from the device / platform.
  • Slow on multiple selections: Design decision. The action on each note is synced with the server before moving to the next.
  • Formating problems known from legacy: Design decision - EN has a lean editor, not comparable to a full word processor or page Layouter.

My count is more than 50% design. Design is not only whether a button is black or green, it means the whole setup of an application.

These basic things are hard to change. Because of that my opinion is that if a user has a problem with them, it is futil to wait for a change. 

But maybe this is too radical for some of my fellow users. To make it clear again: It is my personal opinion. Anybody can think differently - just don’t come back and feel disappointed in a year.

Agreed. I would continue paying for premium if they brought back the good ol' days of relatively intuitive, easy to use functionality for basic note organization.  The new Evernote has turned into an abortion clinic dumpster fire compared to what the company first gave birth to. Sorry Evernote... I truly loved you - as if anyone cares to listen. 

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Oh my days! Evernote is just the worse now. I'm switiching to OneNote because I've had enough of the new rubbish platform. I can't tell you how many notes don't save properly or how many times the app crashed while I'm scanning documents (three times today, which has cost me half an hour of unproductive work). The app has slowly been getting worse and more unreliable each year. So much so that I can no longer waste time or trust it for my work needs. Not to mention the painfully slow uploading to access anything including launching the app itself. The only problem I'm now having is that Evernote keeps crashing when I export my years of work it's storing, so I can upload it to OneNote. I was a faithful user for over 7 years, but I can't rely on it anymore. It's not me, it's you! 

• Level 5
38 minutes ago, Egal Art School said:

… It's not me, it's you! 

Oh, who said it was you ?

And how comes you think it was me (or any other forum user) ? Bad Karma ? Voodoo ? Bitlevel levitation ?

Wish you more luck with your next choice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert

Good that Legacy works for you. Given that it will not be supported, it is probably only a medium term solution designed to allow you to move to v10 in a managed way or to find an alternative product. 

Whilst I doubt Legacy will be withdrawn, we can expect that an OS update will break Legacy at some point in the future. When it does it will be final. I've made the decision to amend my work flows and embrace v10. I still have Legacy for printing which I only do once or twice a year and might be where I would head of I wanted a quick and dirty export of all my notes. Otherwise v10 does what I need, mostly in a manner that is intuitive albeit sometimes differently to Legacy.

• Level 5*

I'm with the unlucky crowd for which v10 c-r-a-w-l-s along on most of my current kit, so the shorty term plan is 1) stick with Legacy and replace kit (eventually) - 2) try v10 again on new hardware.  If that fails,  I'll be heading for the hills.  Not leaving Evernote as such,  because there's too much invested here;  but certainly any new notes will be hosted elsewhere.  :(

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'm with the unlucky crowd for which v10 c-r-a-w-l-s along on most of my current kit, so the shorty term plan is 1) stick with Legacy and replace kit (eventually) - 2) try v10 again on new hardware.  If that fails,  I'll be heading for the hills.  Not leaving Evernote as such,  because there's too much invested here;  but certainly any new notes will be hosted elsewhere.  :(

Yup, in the same crowd though I'm already in the hills.  I ported all my EN stuff so as to have one place to search.  Have been adding new stuff since 12/1, traditional month cutover who woulda thunk.  Not as well-oiled as legacy at this point, part system but mostly operator muscle memory.  Still so much faster than V10.  Will keep a basic account with the old data for access should something come up.  Otherwise, a new world order.  Sub expires end of the month.  Also very 😥

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, gazumped said:

heading for the hills.  Not leaving Evernote as such,  because there's too much invested here;  but certainly any new notes will be hosted elsewhere.  :(

For me, it's a clean break   
I don't want my notes split between two databases

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, agsteele said:

I still have Legacy for printing which I only do once or twice a year and might be where I would head of I wanted a quick and dirty export of all my notes.

I don't need printing, but I wanted to comment on the "dirty export of all my notes"   
I tried export to HTML, but lost metadata   
- I could only preserve Notebook assignment by using a separate export for each notebook   
- Tags were not visible (the tag data was embedded in the html code)      
- Note-id was not preserved, making the note links useless   

I had better success with direct export/import to an app   
For example, conversion to Devonthink went smoothly

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I don't need printing, but I wanted to comment on the "dirty export of all my notes"   
I tried export to HTML, but lost metadata   
- I could only preserve Notebook assignment by using a separate export for each notebook   
- Tags were not visible (the data was embedded in the html code)      
- Note-id was not preserved, making the note links useless   

I had better success with direct export/import to an app   
For example, conversion to Devonthink went smoothly

Windows.  I used the export to HTML.  You can get tags to appear in the HTML if you select options on the export panel.  The HTML files are then searchable by tag assuming you have some indexing process in play.  And the URL is clickable.  What I lost were any title characters after I think it was 45 or so.  Can make a file name search dup up depending on your note title standards.  I did not care so much about notebook but as I use Directory Opus it would have been easy enough to mass edit file name changes. 

ScreenClip.png.fb09201ffa299e04feb41de951b1638b.png

A screen shot of what the top of the HTML looks like with the above options are set.

ScreenClip.png.d23b1f89636896c6d8fc3104c7f33163.png

When the new Evernote first came out I tried it. I hated both the new Windows and Android versions for all the same reasons many others did, including the lack of features that the legacy version has.

Four weeks ago I decided to try the new Evernote for Windows and Android again, and I'm sorry, but I've gone back to the legacy version of both. The new Evernote for Android is painfully slow -- it often takes twenty seconds for a notebook to open, followed by another four or five seconds for a note to open. Even for notebooks that are available offline. The new Evernote for Android doesn't always sync and sometimes notes don't save. The new Evernote for Windows is still much slower than the legacy version. 

I've gone back to the legacy Windows and Android Evernotes. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/11/2021 at 7:54 PM, gazumped said:

For my workflow (your mileage may vary) it feels like I have become trapped in a Benjamin Button developmental cycle, with the product somehow becoming less functional / mature over time. Maybe things will improve next year. 2022 is just around the corner! Considering the combination of a higher subscription fee and a decline in functionality (your mileage may vary), it seems unlikely that I'll renew my subscription. Earlier this year I reached a similar conclusion to gaz, so I am not even getting much use out of my current subscription.

• Like 3
  • 7 months later...
  • Level 5

Two years later and it's greatly improved. They are never, never, ever going to ditch version 10 and start over at v. 6.26. Or v. 1, if that's what you really mean,. For me, on a good home WiFi network, syncing is instantaneous. Is there something specific you have a problem with?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

As with @Dave-in-Decatur - I was a hold-out,  but v10 is now my daily drive;  it's far better now than it was at launch,  and Evernote are never going to unravel their new structure.  If you want to see improvements,  you need to be specific about what is not working for you...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Yeah, my recent forays with the web client have been much better.  I think I could pound some of the inefficiencies into submission with AutoHotKey.  But the lack of local notebooks and the annoying browser lag are still issues.  🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, gazumped said:

As with @Dave-in-Decatur - I was a hold-out,  but v10 is now my daily drive;  it's far better now than it was at launch,  and Evernote are never going to unravel their new structure.  If you want to see improvements,  you need to be specific about what is not working for you...

It took a while, but Evernote got its mojo back. I now like Evernote 10.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Same here, honestly. I think I held out for over a year, waiting for enough functionality to come back. It did, and the added functionalities, which I could try out in the Web client while still using the old v. 6.25 of the Windows program, eventually made it a desirable and easy transition to v. 10.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Very true. Bring back the old interface. - I have eye problems and therefore appreciate the dark scheme (which is no more available). I can't even change the display fonts to something with a better contrast. Horrible. This makes Evernote for me nearly unusable.