The new Evernote sucks. A simple request: bring back the old one.

Luispabreu

Idea

31 replies to this idea

Does anyone know if the old version will continue to be viable?  If there are no bug fixes, no upgrades, and no effort to ensure that it continues to work with OS updates then sooner or later using it will become untenable. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
40 minutes ago, mikea144 said:

sooner or later using it will become untenable.

Sooner or later,  yes.  But Evernote are working hard to make the new version acceptable,  and until then you have the older versions...

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

Our problem is that our idea of acceptable and theirs obviously differ somewhat. 

I certainly agree that their idea of "acceptable for release to an unsuspecting public" is different from ours. They constantly say that they know they still have lot s of work to do and I think the roughly 2 week release cycle does provide some evidence for that. They could certainly have handled it better and marketed it as an extended public beta rather than encouraging people to "upgrade".

• Like 6
  • Level 5*

We all have our own views of what is acceptable based upon our use cases.  That being said, V10 across platforms is one massive dumpster fire.  A product so out of touch with elements of the user base it created.  Mind numbing.  I just hope they have the wherewithal to fix it, product and trust. 

• Like 5

Today I got an email from my broker.  They have an excellent Android app that works well but they're replacing it.  The email says the new app has these great new features but lots of stuff isn't implemented yet.  Please give it a try if you're interested, and click on a button of the app to tell us what you like & what you don't.  And, DON'T DELETE THE CURRENT APP and keep using it as needed. 

I installed the new app, tried it, and told them what I like and what I don't.  The app isn't ready for prime time, doesn't do a lot of stuff, yet I'm happy.  My life isn't disrupted, and I get to influence decisions regarding the new app to make it better.  My view of the company is enhanced, not diminished.  To me that's a win for them. 

Not a bad approach.  I wish Evernote had thought of this.  They could have used a win too. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It looks like no matter where you search on the users forum, comments vary between "I hate it" and "I hate it a lot."  There is essentially nothing in the way of tech support.  Their approach, which seems to be one of contempt for its large cadre of paid users, is unacceptable.  Essentially, it's "Your response has been recorded" (meaning it's recorded, but we'll ignore it).  We're welcome to come to this forum and vent, which may, just perhaps, lower blood pressure, but the company seems to have no interest in retaining loyal, long-term users.  I'm in the process of porting all my notes to OneNote.  Micro$oft has been amazingly helpful with tech support, even when I don't have a paid MSOffice account.  OneNote is free.  Yes, you have to learn it, but why pay for dysfunctional software.  For all we know, they may be planning to make it worse.  Absolutely no indication that they're listening to users, or what, if any changes or remedies may be available down the road, or when.  This is nuts.

My subscription ends mid-Feb 2020; it things don't turn around, I'm outa here, like so many of my colleagues.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Al Padilla said:

There is essentially nothing in the way of tech support.

Hi.  This isn't Evernote's main support site.  You might find more help here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us including,  as you're a subscriber,  some links for individual email support.  Evernote don't usually respond on single user or policy issues here - it's a forum for any user to express their opinion.  Which,  as you've seen,  is usually freely given especially when major changes happen.

There have been some positive reviews,  though I'm not sure how much use those contributors actually got out of their account;  and Evernote have bounced up from version 10.0 to 10.5 in a couple of months,  which does suggest they're working hard behind the scenes to catch up.  Given that they have a LOT of users,  I think getting involved with arguments over what to do next and how they should have delivered their changes would be a total waste of resource.

I'm happy to see them fixing things.  In the meantime,  of course,  there's always Legacy:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 1

yes, first thoughts on seeing the new version was total disappointment from all that missing features. Evernote team could at least give us a migration guide to explain when it is a time to upgrade. Simple list of missing in progress features would work, so I would wait for a few months and migrate without feeling bad about the product.

Thanks for the link to restore an old version, this might work for now.

• Like 1

I thought that right-click had been disabled in the new version as it was so slow to respond!

I had some local PC notebooks that stored stuff that I didn't want shared to a shared ipad.

I had to permanently decrypt text to edit it.

At that point I gave up and de-installed version 10 and reverted to version 6.

I'm happy to have the new version if and when performance and features match the legacy version. If they don't I shall take my premium subscription elsewhere - very reluctantly.

On 12/7/2020 at 11:23 AM, Luispabreu said:

I don't see one single advantage of the new Evernote over the old one. Not one. This is a very simple request: bring back the old version.

I mean, what were they thinking?  Since upgrading I'm having a lot of issues with my typical flow of work.  I'm using GTD with Evernote and this new update broke almost everything within my usage pattern.  But the most disheartening is it's extremely poor performance.  I'll give it a try to install the old version.   

From a technical point of view it seems to me they're trying to merge the web and desktops apps into one?? is that the case??

Has anyone here reverted to the older version of Evernote and if so, any issues going back?   I've tried using the new version but its just not useable for me right now as many here have already pointed out so I'm ready to revert unless there be dragons there too.

I agree.  It WAS a good app - in fact I'd call it vital to my work.  Now I can't find anything, it doesn't load half of the time, the search functions make no sense, and I spend more time troubleshooting the damn app than I do actual work (right now is one of those times).  Whoever was behind the update clearly doesn't use the product.  Does anyone know of a way to get all the stuff I have in Evernote to a better app?

• Level 5

... and the new clients are improving, with each release. Just loaded EN iOS 10.3, up to now it is looking good.

With some functions it is significantly better than the pre-10-clients, some other functions are still not there. What has improved as well is the preview of functions in the release notes they are currently working on, and will be released soon.

Everybody must see how good own use cases are supported. What may work for one person sometimes is not working for another. But in general, IMHO there is hope.

23 hours ago, JohnKnoepfle said:

Has anyone here reverted to the older version of Evernote and if so, any issues going back?   I've tried using the new version but its just not useable for me right now as many here have already pointed out so I'm ready to revert unless there be dragons there too.

I didn't necessarily "revert" -- I just have them both (v10 and legacy) installed at the same time -- on both my Mac and my Windows machine.

One feature that I miss in v10 is being able to manually change the update date of the note -- it's for part of my work flow. You can't arbitrarily change the update date of the note in v10 as far as I know. So I downloaded the "legacy" version in order to do that and I hope they add that feature back in v10.

I haven't noticed any issues running both versions at the same time -- but I haven't done a whole lot of testing either.

oh - and for what it's worth - i prefer using the new version -- i like the look and feel of it way more. There are some missing features I hope that make it back and it's not quite as snappy, but it works for me.

I'm encouraged to see a few minor things have been updated in the new version which tells me some effort is being made to bridge the gap from ver. 6. However, I have had to revert to Legacy because of missing functionality in ver. 10. Here is the feedback sent to Evernote using "Send feedback" button on new version (10.5.7).

I am unable to move from Legacy to the new version on Windows because functionality I depend on for my workflow is not available. For example:
1. I need to be able to sort the list view in Tag order to find the highest priority entries at a glance.
2. Also need to sort List view  by Reminder Date
3. Date format needs to be adopted from Windows setting as I use YY/MM/DD
4. Need List view to be sortable by Location (Notebook)
5. Left sidebar needs to include Saved Searches, not buried within Search bubble as I use my extensive list of saved searches for rapid navigation
6. Intitle: search needs to stay within the selected notebook (today it automatically reverts to All Notes during a new search)
7. Notebooks list contains mysterious new notebooks I did not create called "(Imported) mm/dd/yyyy" - can/should these be deleted?
8. Beside "All Notes" in left sidebar is a blue circle with the number 1 inside. Hovering over it causes a bubble to appear which says "1 reminder today" but clicking on it does nothing. I have over 5000 notes so clicking on the number should filter the list view to only notes with a reminder for today.

Hopefully, I will hear back from someone at Evernote with plans to address my concerns before they kill Legacy.

On 1/11/2021 at 4:01 AM, rfhusband said:
7. Notebooks list contains mysterious new notebooks I did not create called "(Imported) mm/dd/yyyy" - can/should these be deleted?

Hopefully, I will hear back from someone at Evernote with plans to address my concerns before they kill Legacy.

You cannot anticipate a response in these forums from Evernote staff.  It is possible but unlikely as these are user-to-user support forums. The feedback button inside v10 doesn't generally bring a personal response either.

In that respect the Imported mm/dd/yyyyy notebooks were created in some of the earlier releases of v10.  You can check each one and if they still contain a note then move that to where you want it to be.  You can safely delete the random notebook and should not see these reappearing as the issue that caused them has as far as I know been resolved.

I don't believe that there is any plan to kill the legacy version at this point.  There are many issues like those you list and others which are scheduled to be tackled so you can bide your time with the legacy version for some weeks/moths to come.

• Like 1
On 1/4/2021 at 9:24 PM, Qian12345 said:

I can not see the Send to Evernote right click menu in the windows. please help where I can find it back or it's not available in the new version.

You'll see this documented in these forums...

• Win+R and enter shell:sendto
    • Create shortcut to %localappdata%\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe
On 1/11/2021 at 4:01 AM, rfhusband said:

6. Intitle: search needs to stay within the selected notebook (today it automatically reverts to All Notes during a new search)

I had to go back to 6.25 to see how that behaved and was actually quite surprised that it does stay within the selected notebook as you say. I would personally expect any search using the search syntax to default to All Notes. I'd add notebook:XYZ if I wanted it limited to a particular notebook.

Keeping searches within the current notebook is not default behaviour for any search in V10, which is why they have included the add filter for the notebook you are in underneath the search text input.

image.png.b770037535e5f60c49b94bbc2f8ceebb.png

• Like 1
On 12/7/2020 at 11:23 AM, Luispabreu said:

I don't see one single advantage of the new Evernote over the old one. Not one. This is a very simple request: bring back the old version.

We are moving over to Joplin...this new mess with Evernote was the last straw for us.

I fell in love with Evernote in 2008, It seems with each update the program has moved away from the original useful program I fell in love with. I feel like I have to relearn the software with each new release, pretty bad since I've been using it almost 12 years!

The loss of being able to do quick screen captures is one of the main uses for Evernote, Why did they remove this? Why do I have to rely on a plug in on my browser, what about things that are not on the internet? What was quick and easy is now a 2 - 3 step process.

Evernote developers should be adding new features, not removing features many of us have relied on for years!

And yes the new layout is a train wreck!

I am very disappointed with the new version, but I am glad that I am able to use the old version.

The new version is really slow, I had to struggle to find out how to rename a notebook as they removed the right click, the formatting of the notes is very limited and restrictive, not able to format the code section, any many many other things that are missing which makes it unusable for me.

I really hope they will address all those issues soon or just continue with the old one which is WAY better...

This webpage in an app style version of Evernote for macOS makes no sense. The reason to use Evernote is because it is an elegant Native app.  This budget version will never due. When Evernote legacy no longer works,  I will have to migrate away from Evernote. For the first time in 10 years, Evernote will no longer be a piece of software that is always on.   I doubt I will ever use it again.

• Like 2