Bring FONTS, custom colors on notebooks (in the sidebar), and shortcuts on the top bar, BACK!!!!!!

nemy16santos

Idea

16 replies to this idea

6 hours ago, fpepin said:

I used color coding for tags as well.  It really helps to quickly spot the tags that I use often in a sea of many tags :).

I agree. You can add coloured icons (via windows emoji keyboard win + ; ) but that's not really convenient if you often have to type out the name of the tag in full.(e.g. using the search syntax)

image.png.19cd4b67a620f815790ad37770abce8e.png

• Evernote Expert
12 hours ago, Trichromic said:

had all my tag and notebook fonts colour-coded and this is a huge step backwards. Not happy at all.

I'm pretty certain this stuff isn't returning. The challenge is how to present notes across devices with a uniform look. As you'll know, fonts in, say, Windows, may not be present in a Mac and definitely not on Android. The limitation to pre-defined fonts is to support uniformity.  The colour coding is best achieved in v10 with coloured bullets/emojis which are supported in v10 as @Mike P suggested earlier in the thread.

In Windows 10: Win+. and select the coloured emoji of choice.

🔴 Note title

will work

I realise that this doesn't help with the colour coding you already have - Legacy is the way forward to keep that as @PinkElephant has suggested. You could add the coloured emoji as you work with a note and gradually switch to the new way of working.

I suppose that the coloured Titles could be restored so keep pitching for that but I'm definitely not expecting the Font thing to change.

• Like 1

Hi agsteele and thanks for your advice on this.

I guess you're right. I see that the Windows, web and iOS clients are all much closer in functionality now.
I mostly live in Windows myself and don't really care about the others too much. I just wished they'd given proper warning about what was about to be changed so radically before the upgrade. I would have happily stayed on v6 forever. If it aint broke, don't fix it 🙂

I have tried the icon thing. Its not a bad workaround but they don't look the same on Windows and iOS.
I don't know how to add them from the Windows side (maybe you need a touchscreen?) so I add them on iOS and wait for the sync.

13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If it returns happiness to your life, you can install and use the legacy client side by side with v10.

Be aware it is end-of-life, you can run it as it is; no new features, no bug fixes.

Thanks, I could do with a bit of cheering up after hours of frustration with the EN upgrade yesterday !

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, trichromic-ab said:

don't know how to add them from the Windows side (maybe you need a touchscreen?) so I add them on iOS and wait for the sync.

There are a couple of posts above which describe this ;)

18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

My icons have color, and they serve as a visual guide:

Thanks. I tried pictures but they didn't seem distinctive enough for quick visual identification as they're quite small on the Windows interface. Also they don't quite match up with iOS ones and sometimes the substitutes are a bit odd.

So I decided to go far plain coloured squares and now I'm a lot happier now (especially after also solving the performance and sync issues with my iPad by deleting the app, powering down and then re-installing; thanks for that tip too.)

image.png.71a48e2b7640ec2d90c87330a0ed6a6b.png

• Like 1
On 8/9/2021 at 3:23 PM, trichromic-ab said:

Thanks. I tried pictures but they didn't seem distinctive enough for quick visual identification as they're quite small on the Windows interface. Also they don't quite match up with iOS ones and sometimes the substitutes are a bit odd.

So I decided to go far plain coloured squares and now I'm a lot happier now (especially after also solving the performance and sync issues with my iPad by deleting the app, powering down and then re-installing; thanks for that tip too.)

image.png.71a48e2b7640ec2d90c87330a0ed6a6b.png

Hello,

Sorry to post in this old topic, but how do you add these colored icons in notebooks?

Thanks.

• Level 5

You use an app that allows to show emojis or symbols, select what you want and copy it in front of the notebook name.

Works best when in one ecosystems, mine were generated on the Mac, and look differently on Windows.

It changes the sorting order of the notebooks as well, since the symbols have their own ranking.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Damien Delurier said:

Hello,

Sorry to post in this old topic, but how do you add these colored icons in notebooks?

Thanks.

On Windows 10 it is easiest to use the Windows emoji keyboard which is best accessed from <windows key> + ;

58 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It changes the sorting order of the notebooks as well, since the symbols have their own ranking.

I don't know whether this is a Windows issue but if I search for something like intitle:🔴 a list of of notes appears underneath in the "goto" section but when I press enter there are no matches. Very strange.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

I only put the icons in front of notebook names, and use the filters. No problem then.

On the Mac you get Emojis to pick by Strg-cmd-space. You can as well activate a little helper. It will show in the menu bar and opens on a click.

• Like 1