Make Evernote great again!!

Dear community and Evernote company,

I have loved Evernote since I discovered it and started using it about a year ago. I have used Evernote everyday ever since and even took a subscription though not being rich, just because I felt it changed the way I organized my life and what possibilities it gave me. And now you dropped this awful new version?!

Sure there are some improvements on some features but how many drawbacks did you introduce with them!

I use Evernote both on Android and MacOS.

1. I can no longer sync manually my notes which was handy if I would take a pictures with my phone and wanted to access it quickly a few seconds/minutes later on the computer.

2. Offline access was wonderful! I could work on the plane or even on the road without internet and it would synchronize later.

3. Stacking was the core of any organization. Now it is painful to make stacks. Before, you could just drop one stack into another. Now you have extra steps not even to get to the expected result.

4. Notes take now forever to save and load.

5. Opening a note in a new window now works less than 10% of the time. Most of the time I get a blank screen. I used to compare documents and have two windows next to each other, I can't do that anymore.

6. Tag menu: I could see a big window with all the tags and organize them into hierarchies. Now I have to scroll forever... I have a lot of tags.

7. On Android, you can't even access notes that belonged to a stack but were not classified into a notebook... I have to search for them another way. If they were put into other notebooks of that stack, then how do I know where you put them?!

8. The new editor! Yes, an improvement but you stripped so many functionalities from the menus.

9. The shortcut for moving notes doesn't show up all the time or disappears as soon as you slide towards it!!! and it is sooooo not intuitive. How am I supposed to know I need to hover the notebook button first?! My first reflex was to click on the notebook name. I just tried again... I cannot access the move button... it disappears as soon as I try to reach it........!

10. Where is the shortcut for finding within notes... For a productivity tool, you slowed me down drastically with this update.

11. I miss my internal links... I could make a picture an internal link and create nice dashboards. Now I have to click twice to access a note from an internal link... Clicking at the moment just opens a menu to open or edit the link! That's what a right click is for! Not a left click!

12. The new search is... not what it used to be. Now if I search for something, access a note and remove the search terms, it goes back to the default notebook. I have to open the note in the new window or it disappears.

13. "Save As" doesn't work or take forever to open the folder where to save to...

14. Why did you change or remove so many shortcuts?

15. You changed the formatting, I can no longer easily copy from Evernote to Word or Google Doc... It inserts spaces between lines. Gives me more work in the end.

Few things I like:

1. YEESSS TABLES! I can finally merge cells and create the tables I have in mind. It is so nice for formatting.

2. The new styling is nice. I wish adding a "1." in a title would not automatically trigger a new list though. The workaround I find is to type #1. Title and only then add the space to format.

3. List and changing the hierarchy of a list works better. It is easier to edit.

4. I like this new PDF view where you can scroll the slides though a bit dodgy if you searched for that note first. It keeps on scrolling to the top of the note when you switch to the next slide.

That is pretty much it...

(Interesting that you cannot use the arrow keys in this forum editing window).

Please other users, have you find an alternative? I cannot wait for them to fix this. I need to work and need to be able to do my work properly like the rest of you. :(
Where did you migrate to in the meantime? I am considering Notion but I heard not everybody is satisfied with them. Is it easy to switch and import things?

I am sorry Evernote... I promoted this platforms for months, even talk to people about it at productivity workshops I give. I am sad to see the end to a long lasting friendship.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, LynuSBell said:

Please other users, have you find an alternative?

Hi.  For the moment I,  like a lot of other experienced users,  find that the Legacy version - which contains all the features you're very happy with - is a safe home.  Evernote will get v10 up to speed as quickly as they can.  When they stop updating I'll think about whether or not the new platform is usable,  but (IMHO) now is not the time.  Too early.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 2
Just now, gazumped said:

Hi.  For the moment I,  like a lot of other experienced users,  find that the Legacy version - which contains all the features you're very happy with - is a safe home.  Evernote will get v10 up to speed as quickly as they can.  When they stop updating I'll think about whether or not the new platform is usable,  but (IMHO) now is not the time.  Too early.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Thanks for directing me to this. Is it possible to have the legacy app on Android as well? All I see is the new version :(

When I saw a new version was on the store, as a security measure, I updated things. Aren't you supposed to roll updates to avoid hacking? I don't understand why they rolled this as a major update when it is this glitchy.

• Like 1

The new Evernote as introduced so many annoyances I am really disappointed.  

One more to add to the list: on mac running Big Sur, is there any way to easily add files to Evernote from the finder?  It used to be a right-click option under the Share sub-menu.  This was an easy way to create new notes. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
40 minutes ago, LynuSBell said:

Aren't you supposed to roll updates to avoid hacking?

If you're on version 3 and the rest of the world is on version 10,  that's bad because you're missing out on security,  new features and that sort of thing.  If you're on v8.13 (which I think is the Android version) and they introduce v9 but cheat and call it v10,  you can afford to hang on for a few weeks and see how the rest of the world reacts before going all in on a new version.

EDIT:  Sorry.  Must remember: read the post before you answer; read the post before you answerread the post before you answer!

(I deleted a whole para here about how to block the update in Play!)

OK:  If you have already jumped,  then just uninstall the app from Android,  restart the device and re-download it from here: ... hmmn.  Suddenly all the 'old app' links seem to lead to the new one instead...  methinks a plot!  I shall investigate further.  Bear with me...

• Level 5*

<Sigh>  It is Saturday.  Just realised why the links I followed all went to v10 - I was searching for v6.25 which is the Windows version,  not 8.13 as in Android.  That's here - and several other places if you prefer to search around! https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/android/download/2259282

Going to lie down now and apply cold compresses. 🤕