Excessive consumption of RAM memory (Evernote 10.4.4): Evernote (2gb) vs. Notion (460mb)

mavt88

Idea

Evernote is becoming an application that is not for everyone. Evernote is crashing on my notebook (20gb of RAM and i7 8th generation).

Look:

• Notion: 467,3mb👍
  • Evernote: 2gb 🤦‍♂️

image.png.8b48fe6aa8a1c83bbd642f0aa61be9c3.png

#Update post#

#################################

Thank you, God Evernote. 🐘💚

Now, its ok (version 10.4.4):

image.png.ebe2315cf44a9535d605c6df541cae79.png

• Sad 1

5 replies to this idea

On 12/5/2020 at 3:10 PM, gazumped said:

Hi. Do you have the same number of notes in both apps?

Granted that would be a sensible side by side comparison but Notion does not have an offline DB so there is no real way of a like for like test anyway.
The only real thing they have in common is they are both built on Electron.

That said, Evernote consuming 2Gb of RAM is a lot for a note taking app, I can run Visual Studio on my laptop debugging a massive business application and it uses less RAM than that

• Evernote Expert

If memory is key to your workflow then clearly, in the case described by the OP, Notion would be the winner.  But actually memory only really becomes an issue if the programs provide the same function. 

As it happens I just checked an EN10.4.4 is currently consuming 440Mb on my PC. So much like Notion in the OP's example.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, agsteele said:

If memory is key to your workflow then clearly, in the case described by the OP, Notion would be the winner.  But actually memory only really becomes an issue if the programs provide the same function. 

As it happens I just checked an EN10.4.4 is currently consuming 440Mb on my PC. So much like Notion in the OP's example.

It is not just to do with workflow, the high RAM use will impact the performance of the app especially if you are using other apps at the same time.
EN is running at about 330Mb on my machine so is fine, but this is a good example of the differences across user' experience with the app performance.

I was just monitoring to see how mine did at work. It used to be worse before the recent updates but it seems like it is consuming the most memory just sitting there. I had Chrome in the foreground and running, I was not doing anything in Evernote. 

image.png.5f49c24c77898ddba3608086e8aabb17.png

On the remote desktop the legacy version of Evernote seems to be less than Chrome

image.png.d421d51ab6b6c712f583130a5784844a.png

If V10 was faster than I wouldn't mind the more memory usage etc. but right now V6 is still faster. Obviously, now they are completely different apps fundamentally, I get that but in the end I will evaluate the speed and practicality of using the app whether electron, local database, or whatever.

• Like 1