Issue with Evernote app on Mac Os Big Sure 11.0.1 : "Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote".

Hello I have been using Evernote for years and recently I can not longer open and use the app on my Mac.

While downloading the lastest version I have in permanent the following error "Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote."

Worst, when you click quite or restart nothing work better and the same message appears again and again.

Can you please help?

Thanks 

Help! I have the same issue but it's on macOS Catalina Version 10.15.4 (iMac Retina 5K 27" Late 2015). I've used the Mac/Evernote combo for as long as I can recall.

I opened Evernote yesterday (first time in a few weeks) and it loaded an all white blank screen. Tried again, but received the "Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote." message. Restart never worked (it kept re-popping the same error), same with Quit (the only other button/option presented). I tried force quit and restarting Evernote to no avail - same error. I was forced back into a force quit situation but oddly enough, that created little baby Evernotes -- three of them appeared in my Force Quite Applications window (???) I force quit these little offspring and was back to nothing. I went nuclear and uninstalled Evernote. Then I went to evernote.com and downloaded it again. It eventually worked!! So excited to have fixed it.

...then I logged back on this morning and guess what... same error. No Evernote. So Google led me here. 

Help?

Kimberley

Hi Kimberly, exact same behaviour on my side about the little "Evernote babies creation" once I tried to force quite.

I raised a ticket to Evernote team and not answer yet.

They provided my an older version to use in the meanwhile and this one works for the time being, but not the new one.

Richard

having the same issues, have been using evernote for over 5 years now with no problems and in the last 2 months there have been so many issues, im just thinking of leaving it and finding an alternative.

I now have to force quite the app everyday but this issue comes back on the mac, then on the iphone i keep getting view only notes which cant be edited untill i open it in the mac, other times my iphone just opens blank notes and doesnt load, the issues are increasing day by day, whats happening?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

For everybody here:

There is no tradition of EN staff answering posts here in the forum. Sometimes they do, but is is the exception rather than the rule. If you need help, and paid your dues (as you all did), issue a support ticket.

In general on a Mac, check whether EN got all authorization in the Macs security & privacy settings. Check if the firewall is on, switch it off for a test, check for other security software. Plug yourself into the router with a cable, instead of connecting by WiFi. Try to connect through a VPN provider (there is Tunnel Bear with a free account that is good for some 100 MB per month) and move your point of entry to the US for a try.

Adding one more long-time user to the list of people with this problem.  I started having this problem with Catalina in early December and then upgraded to Big Sur and am still having the problem.  Evernote Legacy works (for now?) and seems to work on my android phone, but this need to be fixed.  I mostly use Evernote on my desktop Mac.

Please fix this ASAP. Paying customers not being able to use an app should definitely be prioritized and fixed quickly. I will cancel my membership and switch to another app permanently if this is not resolved soon. I am not giving my money as charity.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue as all above! EN is now completely unusable on my mac. I am on the latest version of Mac OS. Nothing seems to work. Pressing Restart or Quit does nothing but bring up the same error. When I forced quit as stated above I got many little Evernotes. Now I cannot open the app at all without the error immediately popping up. Please fix ASAP!!

Image 1-18-21 at 5.02 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 5.17.23 AM.png

Same Issue. Evernote is unusable. I was a premium subscriber. Now I'm happily using Joplin for free! Way better. I cant believe this issue lasted for months.

v 10.5.7 build 2171 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2

On 2019 iMac running macOS Catalina 10.15.7

This seems like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 11.15.47 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi I got the same issue. Never see the paid software have this kind of issue. Never!

For Mac users, you could do this. in the Finder, search Evernote on your home folder which contains Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc

BUT, if you ever had unsaved notes, this way will just delete everything, you can check on the web, if that exists on the web, you should be good to do following. 

** before that, you probably need to manually kill the process of the Evernote, I did that, but not sure if this is necessary. if you don't know how, just skip this step and process the next step. or just restart laptop and process the next step 

To make it easy, you can delete all Evernote directories. before you delete, you can click that directory, at the bottom of the Finder window, you'll see the directory path, if that is not something you created specifically by yourself, you should be okay to delete.

start should work. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Same problem here on MacOS. 

Evernote support was not able to help.   Support person was following a script sending me broken paths to verify.  Half of the suggestions didn't work because of the crappy browser-support-chat service they use to communicate with customers.

As a loyal Evernote customer since 2008 I feel like the company is sending a strong signal that they don't care one bit about their existing customer base.

Also, I really don't like all this pitching of new features (not included in my subscription level) inside the product I'm using for my daily productivity work.  I'm already a paying Evernote Premium costumer for more than 10 years, just leave the product alone.  Feel free to send me emails about new "Premium++" features but this madness got to stop.

What happened?

• Level 5

If you just told support what you tell here, helping was probably not that simple - because you tell little with a lot of words.

“Same problem here on MacOS“ … so let us assume it is a not working log in, and now: on the v10 client, on the legacy client, on the web using Safari / Firefox / Chrome / … ? 

5 words to describe the problem, then 4 paragraphs with many words telling nothing about the problem. Instead bashing support (1 paragraph), telling how great you are as a customer (1 paragraph), that the company does not deserve you (1 paragraph) and an open question, for everybody to answer for himself (last paragraph, only 2 words).

So I assume you have in fact another problem than the one you don’t even properly describe, and this is a problem nobody can help you solve but yourself. You feel stuck in the wrong service, and you want out. 

I just sorted this out with Evernote Support.

1) Quit Evernote

2) Open Finder

3) From the menu Go / Go to Folder

4) paste in ~/Library/Containers

5) Delete the folder called Evernote

6 Go to evernote.com/download and reinstall the app.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can probably reach the same by using the app AppCleaner to remove EN. When the confirmation window opens, make sure to check all elements for deletion, not only those prechecked by the App.

No need to manually delete system stuff then.

@KWCThanks, your fix helped to solve the issue. Actually, I didn't need to re-install the software. When I looked at  ~/Library/Containers there were two Evernote folders. One with a recent timestamp and another one a few month older. I deleted the newer one and then launched the Evernote software. Worked like a charm.

• 1 month later...

I followed the directions to delete the Evernote folder from Containers and re-install.  The result was that Evernote launched, immediately posted the nasty message, and when I tried to Force Quit EN relaunched itself!  Eventually I noticed three different instances of EB in the Force Quit list. I checked and there has not been a new Evernote folder installed in the containers directory. WIll try that older version tht someone posted ... and will look into an alternative

• Level 5

What I don't understand is this messing around with the installation of programs on a modern OS. It is not build to be manipulated like this, the results are foreseeable. When it works, you may have been lucky. But this is not reliable. The safe method is this:

First log out of EN, if you can.

To make a clean uninstall on a Mac, download the app AppCleaner from the internet (free). Install it, start it. Pull the EN program icon on the AppCleaner window. A second window pops up, now check ALL program parts for removal. Scrpll down, check them all. Then uninstall. Restart the Mac.

Get the EN installer from the EN web site (not from the AppStore). Download (should happen automatic), install. Now go to Mac settings, Security, tab Privacy. Work down the list and check EN wherever it appears (including EN helper and the like).

Open the app, log in.

• Like 1

I've been a paying customer for years ... I'm having this issue now. Cropped up yesterday and nothing seems to work. It just says "Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote" - it just keeps saying that.

I'll try an older version since I've found this thread. I hope that i can find a working version. 

Ah, this link mentioned above seems to be for the "legacy app". 

I don't want that. I want the "current" evernote to work but i want to test an older version. It seemed to have updated yesterday. 

That must be what broke the app.

Please fix this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 2:30 PM, KWC said:

I just sorted this out with Evernote Support.

1) Quit Evernote

2) Open Finder

3) From the menu Go / Go to Folder

4) paste in ~/Library/Containers

5) Delete the folder called Evernote

6 Go to evernote.com/download and reinstall the app.

Hello guys, this way is working and my evernote is back 🙂 thank you 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 8/3/2021 at 2:12 AM, PinkElephant said:

What I don't understand is this messing around with the installation of programs on a modern OS. It is not build to be manipulated like this, the results are foreseeable. When it works, you may have been lucky. But this is not reliable. The safe method is this:

First log out of EN, if you can.

To make a clean uninstall on a Mac, download the app AppCleaner from the internet (free). Install it, start it. Pull the EN program icon on the AppCleaner window. A second window pops up, now check ALL program parts for removal. Scrpll down, check them all. Then uninstall. Restart the Mac.

Get the EN installer from the EN web site (not from the AppStore). Download (should happen automatic), install. Now go to Mac settings, Security, tab Privacy. Work down the list and check EN wherever it appears (including EN helper and the like).

Open the app, log in.

Thanks so much.

This simply works. I've been struggling with this issue for a few months now, and only found this post today.

Oh, hallelujah, I'm really grateful for your clarity, detail and precision.

• Like 1