Not arriving on Android 11

• Evernote Expert

I realise that it can take some time for a new release to propagate via Play Store.  However, I see nothing arriving on my Android 11 phone.  (Actually I'm not all that certain that I'm ready to upgrade but that's a different issue ;) )

My phone is a OnePlus 8 with Android 11.  However, OnePlus tinkers with the OS and releases it as Oxygen OS11 which includes the Android 11 core.

Anyone know if that means the new EN release will not be available?

I remembered this statement:

Why don't I see the update in the Play Store?

The updated app is being made available in the Play Store over the course of several weeks, so you may not have the option to update just yet. In addition, verify that you are on Android 10 or newer, as the new Evernote app does not yet support earlier versions of Android.

[...}

Can I manually update right away even if the update hasn’t rolled out to me yet?

We are unable to make the update available outside of the automated Play Store rollout. The update should be available to you in the near future.

Source: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360055388913

Seems like it may take a while, and that in should be available on Android 11 as well.

In the description of the new app in the store (already got the update, Android 10 though) it also says Android 10 upwards. Morever there is a statement in there that Android 6, 7, 8 & 9 are going to be supported later on:

Here is a screenshot of the play store (german version):

Screenshot_20201205-164503.png

Ah, I'm sorry. I posted right after getting up, apparently I wasn't fully awake - didn't see the "detail" with the modified Android-version your smartphone uses.

As for older versions: I'm just saying that the description in the app-store makes another claim - of course I have no idea if that is correct or an mistake.

• Like 1
On 12/6/2020 at 10:01 AM, agsteele said:

Still not sure if my version of 11 will be supported... 😏

It should be. It's official Android 11 with Google Play Services.
The problem is, that they are making it a slow release on Google Play (staged rollout). I also still don't have it, despite being in beta and having a preview build, which is weird. I expected that beta channel will get "stable" version first and then make wider public rollout.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

still not available in German Google App Store neither, at least for me (with LG ThinQ 8, Android version 10)
(Even though I'm not certain neither that I'm prepared and open to upgrade at this time of state to EN V10 on Android ;) )

I can confirm, for me neither on german play store. Reading some of the horrible forum entries about losing data, not saving and so on with reaction by EN staff, maybe they completely stopped their stagged roll-out and we will see at any point of time V10.X but not V10.0.

It's not just the German Play store.  I have an android 10 phone (note20 ultra) and it's still not showing as an available update.  If they stopped the rollout they should at least acknowledge that and provide updated release information.  The 8.13 version that I have has a bug that plays random youtube videos/ads in the background after clipping a youtube video forcing me to stop using the app entirely.   I was assured that this new version had the fix for this.  But I can't verify that until I get the new version.

• Like 1
On 12/19/2020 at 1:54 PM, ehrt74 said:

i'm on the beta channel which i think is the same build as the released v10 for android. It installed fine from the German app store. I'm running Android 11.

I am also in the beta channel and as far as I know, stable release is a newer build version as the one in the beta. Someone posted stable build version somewhere here in the forums and when I checked it was higher as mine: v10.0 (1107867). As usual I got zero response why we beta testers have older version and why they don't first test new versions with beta testers. Makes zero sense to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1
3 hours ago, matej1990 said:

I am also in the beta channel and as far as I know, stable release is a newer build version as the one in the beta. Someone posted stable build version somewhere here in the forums and when I checked it was higher as mine: v10.0 (1107867). As usual I got zero response why we beta testers have older version and why they don't first test new versions with beta testers. Makes zero sense to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It would be really interesting to know the stable build number. Maybe i'll ask evernote directly

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, matej1990 said:

I just asked for it in Evernote Facebook group and got respond that stable build is version 1107959.

Thank you. I'm also still on 1107867. I don't understand Evernote's release management process at all. 🤷‍♂️

All this talk about beta builds is fine and dandy, but it doesn't change the fact that the well touted december upgrade is still not available in the Play store for many people. And there has been zero communication as to why.  Based on the reviews I've been reading I'm guessing there are serious problems with it and they've stopped the roll out. There wouldn't be talk of newer versions already from beta testers otherwise. I was a premium subscriber since around 2012 until earlier this year and stopped due to a bug they acknowledged and wouldn't fix. They promised it would be fixed soon, but kept stringing me along. They last told me this new december release would fix it.  But apparently they can't deliver that either. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I don't understand Evernote's release management process at all. 🤷‍♂️

Neither do I.

I gave up and manually installed update with .apk from APK Mirror. They have the latest version (1107959).

Some bad news, that I was somehow expecting. They ignored all bugs/issues from Evernote Beta Program (Android). So no. I don't buy it any more, that Evernote staff was reading the linked forum. They made no replies there and that was alarming.
In Windows version, they are implementing new things (not even legacy stuff, but brand new!) and here we are ignored Android users with some basic issues/bugs:

And these are only some basic issues/bugs from the forum that are still existing. There are a lot more. 2 months from reporting in beta and NONE were commented or at least somehow hinted to get fixed someday. Absolutely nothing.

Maybe Android is not a priority to them at this moment, because of all around v10 issues that they are fixing across multiple platforms. But I sure as hell am not joking about thinking to cancel my subscription because of ignored Android app. Evernote for Android is currently a half baked product. It screams beta, but somehow it was forcefully marked as stable version. And from the looks of it, it's will not be fixed anytime soon.

• Thanks 2

Since Android has a global market share of around 70%, iOS 28% considering mobile operating systems I am wondering what is driving this company's decisions on virtually ignoring the Android world. I noticed this in the forums as well. EN staff does not make use of the feedback. And the homepage still says EN 10 for Android is out... well rolling out is obviously stopped but support denies any information about it.

• Like 1

Maybe more of Evernote subscribers are using iOS.

But that is still not an excuse to ignore new Android app for months. They could easily hold release of the new app on Android. At least, they could provide to us some explanation for this messy situation.

13 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Thank you. I'm also still on 1107867. I don't understand Evernote's release management process at all. 🤷‍♂️

I got a reply from evernote directly. Apparently the code in the beta program build and the version in the play store are the same. 

• Thanks 2
9 hours ago, matej1990 said:

Neither do I.

I gave up and manually installed update with .apk from APK Mirror. They have the latest version (1107959).

Some bad news, that I was somehow expecting. They ignored all bugs/issues from Evernote Beta Program (Android). So no. I don't buy it any more, that Evernote staff was reading the linked forum. They made no replies there and that was alarming.
In Windows version, they are implementing new things (not even legacy stuff, but brand new!) and here we are ignored Android users with some basic issues/bugs:

And these are only some basic issues/bugs from the forum that are still existing. There are a lot more. 2 months from reporting in beta and NONE were commented or at least somehow hinted to get fixed someday. Absolutely nothing.

Maybe Android is not a priority to them at this moment, because of all around v10 issues that they are fixing across multiple platforms. But I sure as hell am not joking about thinking to cancel my subscription because of ignored Android app. Evernote for Android is currently a half baked product. It screams beta, but somehow it was forcefully marked as stable version. And from the looks of it, it's will not be fixed anytime soon.

They listened to and fixed a number of bugs I reported.

Yeah, that was before they focused on the other platforms. They were actively replaying on the forum before that. But things drastically changed in the last 2 months.

2 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

I got a reply from evernote directly. Apparently the code in the beta program build and the version in the play store are the same.

That explains why there are still the same bugs in stable as in the beta version.

• Evernote Expert
13 hours ago, matej1990 said:

I decided to try out the new Android version by downloading an APK file and loading it manually. The new version for Android is OK but, as others report, it lacks some function such as the widget and so forth.  (Ishould say that web clipping is better than in the older version.) This is an experiment for me.  I think I will probably revert to the older Android version and await the release of version 10 to me. I'm not troubled by a slow release of the app. I'd rather have it working. What I pay for is not a newly released app but a working app that does what I need. For safety sake I have retained a copy of the version 8 APK so that I can use that should version 10 be released and not working as I need.

• Like 1

Ever have a youtube video or ad start playing hours later from an inactive phone sitting next to you?  Any time I clipped a youtube video that would happen to me regularly.  That was in the 8.13 version (which is the version currently available to me in the store).  It's why I no longer pay for EN.  And is why I'm not okay with a slow roll out.  It's almost 2021 and I'm still waiting for a fix to a bug I reported over a year ago. 

8 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

They listened to and fixed a number of bugs I reported.

Glad to hear they did so for at least one user. I can also report that they have not (yet?) fixed any of the bugs that I reported, which is quite frustrating. Hoping to see a new release with improvements in January.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

Glad to hear they did so for at least one user. I can also report that they have not (yet?) fixed any of the bugs that I reported, which is quite frustrating. Hoping to see a new release with improvements in January.

Yep, me too. Maybe I'm lucky in that Evernote for Android and the web are perfectly usable for me (and I'd even go as far as to say already better than the old apps). But there are things that I miss for example widgets and bulk operations. 

The important thing for Evernote at the moment as I see it is to keep up the momentum. They've had a huge 2 years: looking after the old apps while migrating the entire back end infrastructure and writing a totally new client in a (for them) new technology. If they can keep up this progress, imagine where they'll be at the end of 2022 :)

• Like 2

Unfortunately they do not and did not maintain the old clients. With EN legacy windows you cannot see status of public link shared notes if you did the public sharing on another client or the web. On Android the last update is 6 months ago... lots of bugs there never been resolved (empty notes, taken photos not attached, photos in wrong order and so on). They leave as with these unmaintained app (meanwhile officially unmaintained as they call all non EN10-apps "legacy")...but deliver no adequate replacement.

I raised a ticket with support because of the stopped roll out. This is the answer:

"Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Customer Support.

I understand that you want to install the latest version of Evernote on your Android devices.

I'm sorry to hear that the roll out hasn't reached you. We are still in the process of expanding the roll out over the course of several weeks. This version is new, and we want this version to have less bugs as much as possible, which can affect scale of availability of the new version.

I am unable to confirm the rumor, but you can rest assured that this new update will be made available to a wider userbase soon. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

In the meantime, if you have other concerns or inquiries, please let me know.

Regards,

XXXX"
Customer Support Representative

It think the bold part implicitly confirms that the roll out has been stopped (the "rumor") because of all the unsolved bugs. 😉

As they do not get the basic work done on all platforms (which seems to be the necessary foundation for evolving) in a reasonable amount of time I'm not too excited about the future of EN in 2021 😞

I got pretty much the same response.  I always assumed that once a new version for any app was put in the Store it was available for everyone. After I received that response I was curious why it wasn't the case.  So I did some digging.  Apparently Google has a feature that allows developers to do staged roll-outs based on percentages.  For example, they setup the rollout for 5%.  After 5% of their current user base gets the update then the new version is no longer available.  That percentage can then be adjusted over time to allow more people to get the new version.  So to say the rollout stopped is not entirely accurate.   It's still happening. But most likely they are trying to address bugs in that initial group before increasing the percentage.  It would be nice if they clearly communicated this.  It would have alleviated some of my frustrations. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, BuzzKill said:

I got pretty much the same response.  I always assumed that once a new version for any app was put in the Store it was available for everyone. After I received that response I was curious why it wasn't the case.  So I did some digging.  Apparently Google has a feature that allows developers to do staged roll-outs based on percentages.  For example, they setup the rollout for 5%.  After 5% of their current user base gets the update then the new version is no longer available.  That percentage can then be adjusted over time to allow more people to get the new version.  So to say the rollout stopped is not entirely accurate.   It's still happening. But most likely they are trying to address bugs in that initial group before increasing the percentage.  It would be nice if they clearly communicated this.  It would have alleviated some of my frustrations. 

Definitely this is what is going on. But this also means, that officially celebrating EN10 for Android on the homepage of EN and in play store is a slap on the face of all long term users knowing that it is all for publicity only. No substantial foundation behind all this shining screenshots.

• Like 1
On 1/5/2021 at 8:05 PM, Alxa said:

Definitely this is what is going on. But this also means, that officially celebrating EN10 for Android on the homepage of EN and in play store is a slap on the face of all long term users knowing that it is all for publicity only. No substantial foundation behind all this shining screenshots.

I too am disappointed about the fanfare release of EN10 for Android and now the slow roll-out.

I would like EN to be more honest about any hitches which are hindering the roll-out otherwise my annual Plus subscription is due in May and I am reading encouraging reviews about Nimbus Notes with it's EN import function.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Roll out for iOS is practically instantaneous for all devices running iOS 13.2 and up. Be it a 6 year old iPad Air or a recent iPhone 11. The app release simply is available at the AppStore the very same moment for all devices.

Maybe there is more blame to be put on a mobile OS that is not known for any sound updates plus devices loaded with bloatware by their manufacturers. IMHO not all that easy to make a stable, bugfree release of an app into such a fragmented hodgepodge.

If I were EN, I would take my time as well, given that local mistakes can spread from an Android device to the server easily, causing loss of data.

That is why they made stable v10 rollout only to the Android 10 and 11. The catch is, the rollout is clearly on hold, because even targeting only these two android versions, version 10 is not available widely. They have some issues, but they don't share what those issues are. So that is why we are here speculating what is going on with Evernote 10 on Android. No one knows exactly what is going on.
For me the blame is clearly on Evernote, because they are not sharing any information.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

AFAIK the old clients still work. So where is your problem?

Who way caught in September by the full iOS release would have wished for a rollback option. There are enough treads here with exactly that claim.

Maybe EN learned that lesson.

And the rest is their business, not mine. I don’t need to know what is not working - unless it happens to be on my device.

57 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Who way caught in September by the full iOS release would have wished for a rollback option. There are enough treads here with exactly that claim.

And the rest is their business, not mine. I don’t need to know what is not working - unless it happens to be on my device.

A polite disagreement, Pink Elephant.

For me, EN works well enough that I expect to be a Premium subscriber for a while. I am very excited by and interested in new features, but if the program stayed the same, was stable (didn't lose my notes) and reasonably fast (even if a bit slower than pre-EN 10 versions), I expect to stick around and continue paying for a subscription.

However, it's clear from threads in the forums that other people think of their annual membership as somewhat contingent on progress in the app, especially as competitors line up and bring new and different features to the table. Put another way, when EN suggests that certain new versions or features are on the way, some people who have a renewal coming up in the next few months may renew assuming that those features will be available in a stable release during their renewal year. 

So, for people for whom EN 10 on Android is an important milestone in their renewal decision, it's not that they need to know that EN 10 is not working on others' phones, but that they need/want information as to timeline of future releases and features to help them decide whether to renew.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

What are you even trying to say?
As I understand you don't even use any android device, so it's fine for you as it is regarding android Evernote v10 release situation and we android users should be happy, because iOS v10 release was even worse?

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Frankly I would not wish you to go through the first two month with EN iOS v10. It is usable since 10.2, although still some bugs resist, and some features are still missing. 11.3 is better again, but still there is work to do.

Personally I don’t own an Android device (I try to avoid Google and Facebook as much as I can), but I help others with their Android devices. So I am pretty much aware about the differences. If you get an iOS device, you know what to do, it is that simple. Most are on the last release of iOS anyhow, so it is mostly about settings, not updates.

With an Android, you first have to check on which device you are, and what the update status is. Even the top brands like Samsung load the phones and tablets with their own apps, part of them conflicting with standard Android apps (ever heard about Bixby ...). If you get a typical Chinese brand, put it on a network under supervision, and start it up. You get a flash of control server traffic, and it repeats when apps are opened. A „Hello world chorus“, build in. Concerned about tracking ? What a laugh - they can pull your whole life from the device whithout you even noticing.

OK, but I deviate. IMHO it is a good idea, for EN and for users, if the Android rollout is done step by step. EN does not need to explain what they are doing, as long as wir works, and nobody is harmed if there is a new app around, but currently not for the own device.

2 hours ago, matej1990 said:

What are you even trying to say?
As I understand you don't even use any android device, so it's fine for you as it is regarding android Evernote v10 release situation and we android users should be happy, because iOS v10 release was even worse?

Yes, this could be the right interpretation. In fact there are very many issues and complains with the rather unified iOS versions. With Android there are a couple of additional problems to face by EN. Unlike with iOS there are many different branded Android versions. Technical equipment often isn‘t as strong and high end as on apple products. issues with battery drain, memory consumption and low performance may be much bigger with Android than with iOS...

I am having an (upper class) Android mobile. And I have experience with every v10version  on my iOS ipad 2019 since 17th September 2020. I am not very eager to try out Evernote v10 on my mobile until EN gets things fixed and running smooth. Don‘t want to take part in another worldwide life-betatest with my well working Android mobile...

• Like 2