Table of Contents Note Destroyed

I need to create a Table of Contents note every week for around 220 notes, since numerous notes change in a Notebook each week. The Table of Contents note is in effect an index to each of 220 notes.  Is there a work around?  If not, then this is one of the biggest disasters in my work life.

Len Horton, Atlanta

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, W4KLV said:

I need to create a Table of Contents note every week for around 220 notes, since numerous notes change in a Notebook each week. The Table of Contents note is in effect an index to each of 220 notes.  Is there a work around?

Is this referring to the 50 note selection limit?   Hopefully, it's temporary
Some clever users have worked out how to increase the limit   
Can you sub-divide the ToC into sections?

Personally, I'm still using the Legacy version - no limit    
Install at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Also, instead of a static ToC, I use a dynamic note list (saved search)

• Like 1

I am using Apple operating system macOS Catalina.  My mistake was upgrading to Evernote 10.4.4.  When I went hunting for online help, it said that creating a TOC note in excess of 50 was not supported.  

I would love to find a workaround.  I am using Evernote in a business setting and created a workflow that requires an updated TOC note every week.  So it is not a matter of inconvenience to me, but a serious problem for the organization.  I wish I had the legacy version back.  It was supposed to save the old version of the app but did not.  I also have the option of using Time Machine.

Regardless, thank you, DTLow.  I need to learn about dynamic note lists.  I do know that if I accidentally pulled down Merge instead of Create TOC, it would be a mess.  I also appreciate gazumped's interest in helping me.  

In probably the ugliest workaround ever, I shared the notebook with a friend using the legacy version of Evernote, and she created a TOC note for me.  Ugly but it worked.

Thanks,

Len

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Depending on the workflow,  you might find the third-party app Filterize would help actually reduce your workload - even with the new version.

Filterize will only work with notes that are just syncing - so new or updated notes only;  but can create a Table of Contents note that automatically updates itself to "all notes created or updated <today>".   (Or any other date range that might be required)

I use it to compile a variety of automatically updated lists or 'dashboards' including tasks that are due today,  plus all those still outstanding.  It interacts with Evernote at server level,  so should not (Filterize have advised me) be affected by the different versions.

There's a video about it here which may be of interest... the author uses it to create a list of all notes created each day.  https://youtu.be/wgMbWuv35Bs

As long as something is being done to your notes - they're created or edited and need to be synced back to the server - Filiterize can collate them and create a 'live' table of contents for you.

I use the TOC function frequently as well. Overall I find that this new version of EN has removed personalization and options and now requires twice as many clicks to get some tasks done. I'm a heavy user for work - docs and notes together, so this is killing me.

As for your specific issue - I noticed that you can select multiple notes and copy their internal note links at the same time by right clicking. Then you can create a new note and past them in a la TOC notes of old. Not as simple, but I'll take it. I didn't know about  the 50 note limit. Thanks for that info.

• Like 1

gazumped, thanks for introducing me to Filterize.  That may be the ultimate answer for me.  I will definitely check it out.  I'll also watch the video.  I really appreciate your help.

10gallonhat, depending on what I learn from the video and Filterize, I may well use your idea.  I may be able to select 50 notes at a time and paste their links into a new note I would call my new TOC.  With luck, maybe Evernote will decide to fix this themselves.

Again, thanks to you all.  

Len

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

@W4KLV my TOC "hack" is decent for static things. Not sure how many links you can copy at once. I've never done more than maybe 12. I checked out Filterize and it looks very promising. I can definitely see where it could keep some of my most painful frequent tasks under control. A little bit excited about it TBH. 😃

• Like 1

My TOC has 121 links.  I had to go back in time to an earlier TOC note and update it manually. Evernote has a gift of being able to ***** up something that is already really good because they must assign programmers who have no idea that a feature even exists much less that they are destroying it.  When you tell them, they politely say they’ll log my comment as a feature request.  The fact that they destroyed an existing feature is irrelevant to them apparently.  It never gets fixed back.  Sad. Evernote could be so much better. Of course, every customer is like me and knows what EV could be.  It is still better than anything else.  Just frustrating. Very frustrating.

Len

• Like 1