Just updated to v10.4.4. Why is it so slow? And where is local data now stored?

Thanks for this.

I will have a closer look in the forum to learn more. However, My first impressions of this new version of Evernote  are that it is not an upgrade at all, at least for the way I use it. I guess I need to be patient for a bit but for sure I'm now looking out for an alternative platform

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, NJH-2000 said:

Thanks for this.

I will have a closer look in the forum to learn more. However, My first impressions of this new version of Evernote  are that it is not an upgrade at all, at least for the way I use it. I guess I need to be patient for a bit but for sure I'm now looking out for an alternative platform

I would caution taking the electron stuff with too much concern, the reality is the platform Evernote is using is also used by most other notes platforms, it’s used by Microsoft for Teams and other apps too - JavaScript is a language not a website but some here have a hostility towards it. Numerous apps that use electron like Discord have no lag - there are issues but Evernote are working hard to fix them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess the thing is I have always mostly used Evernote for filing documents and webclips. With good tagging its been a very efficient tool for information storage and retrieval. Now it seems hopeless. For example I just dragged a PDF into a filtered selection of files (filtered on a tag). It took at least 20 seconds to load up and it was not even apparent when it was done as the new file did not inherit the tag as it was copied over. Previously this would have been done in less than a second.

Also this morning I have been searching for invoices and payments listed under the same tag. Firstly there was a delay to view the filtered selection, then it was taking up to 30 seconds to open each file. With the previous version  this would have been a process that would have taken seconds not minutes.

I'm sure if I mainly used evernote for just note taking then I would be super happy, but  this update seems to have killed the value of Evernote for me.

I hope these are issues that are already on the developers radar and that they are addressable?

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, WilliamL said:

I would caution taking the electron stuff with too much concern, the reality is the platform Evernote is using is also used by most other notes platforms, it’s used by Microsoft for Teams and other apps too - JavaScript is a language not a website but some here have a hostility towards it. Numerous apps that use electron like Discord have no lag - there are issues but Evernote are working hard to fix them. 

There are GOOD implementation of Electron (for example - JOPLIN - open source competition of Evernote) and not-so-good.
Microsoft Teams is sometimes lagging even on fastest machines and is CRAWLING in vmware virtual machine, believe me - I use both flavors of Teams.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Piotas said:

There are GOOD implementation of Electron (for example - JOPLIN - open source competition of Evernote) and not-so-good.
Microsoft Teams is sometimes lagging even on fastest machines and is CRAWLING in vmware virtual machine, believe me - I use both flavors of Teams.

Completely agree and I would say Evernote is working to go from the not so good to the good. My issue is with folks who write off them possibility of good because they intrinsically don’t like Electron. Worse, when this is expressed as facts and doom to people who post here looking for advice and help and are hit with info which would have anyone heading to the door - info which is ultimately a view and not fact.

Personally I think the moderators need to act on that because it is going to scare users away - it would me if I had not done some reading around and looked into Electron a bit. It is by no means a super program and does have its issues, but it isn’t the doom and end of the product some proclaiming it as. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, WilliamL said:

Personally I think the moderators need to act on that because it is going to scare users away - it would me if I had not done some reading around and looked into Electron a bit. It is by no means a super program and does have its issues, but it isn’t the doom and end of the product some proclaiming it as. 

Current state of Evernote v10 for me as Polish user is complete doom, because the only way I can continue to use my Evernote is to use legacy app, because evernote cannot solve conflict between non-US keyboard and global shortcuts stolen by running Evernote v10.

In order to use my PC I have to shut down Evernote otherwise typing normal text I invoke actions like Evernote screengrab. Imagine you have to type in English without being able to use letter V....

• Sad 2
4 hours ago, WilliamL said:

Completely agree and I would say Evernote is working to go from the not so good to the good. My issue is with folks who write off them possibility of good because they intrinsically don’t like Electron. Worse, when this is expressed as facts and doom to people who post here looking for advice and help and are hit with info which would have anyone heading to the door - info which is ultimately a view and not fact.

I have to say that I was expressing facts relating to clear and measurable differences in the speed and ease of use of Evernote comparing before and after the update to V10. It is a concern as Evernote has been a core productivity tool for me for the last 5 or so years. It would be a big step to move away from it a find another solution. For now I'm happy to be patient and hope that future updates address the issues I'm experiencing.

I have put this out to the forum in case there is any helpful or informative feedback (thanks to all so far). I originally was planning to contact support but it seems that there are currently delays in receiving a response.

• Like 1

hm, I don‘t see (or feel) any speed differences between Legacy and V10, both run speedy. V10 is still missing many features, indeed, but looks much better and I do like the new editor. Sounds strange that it takes up to 10 secs to open a note - maybe other issues there with the system?

May depend on the device we /you use. For me it looks like v10 works better the more the used device is near to the top of high tech and state of the art.

Fast processor, big Ram, highspeed internet - if all this is given, then there may be no big difference between legacy and v10.

But what if one of these conditions is missing, which probably will be the case with most of us...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, HeBoIz said:

May depend on the device we /you use. For me it looks like v10 works better the more the used device is near to the top of high tech and state of the art.

Fast processor, big Ram, highspeed internet - if all this is given, then there may be no big difference between legacy and v10.

But what if one of these conditions is missing, which probably will be the case with most of us...

good point, and even if you‘ve a fast machine, the power consumption will be too high (esp. on mobile systems) to just run such a „simple“ program. So, either slow work or less battery time or both.

My Macs are 3 - 5 years old.

14 hours ago, HeBoIz said:

I'm not sure how this can relate to the Processor, RAM or internet speed. I'm using the same machine and same internet to compare V10 and legacy. (Ive got a good machine. Internet is average at best)

Ive been working with V10 some more this morning and its only confirming my initial reactions. Slow, clunky and missing a lot of features that I have previously relied on.

To be fair the actual note taking function seems much improved and the rendering of web page notes and pdfs seems better. Overall its not an improvement for me though.

I'm sure different users will be impacted differently as there are so many use case scenarios for Evernote.

For now I have reinstalled the legacy app and am running it alongside V10. I'm remaining hopeful that Evernote will improve with coming updates  (I really don't want to change app) but I'm also now keeping my eye open for alternatives.

Found this earlier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
18 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

hm, I don‘t see (or feel) any speed differences between Legacy and V10, both run speedy.

Fascinating!

It's exciting to learn that V10 can work i.e. that glacial performance is a user-specific bug rather than an inherent consequence of the new design.

(I distinguish the dramatic change in performance from the numerous features that are currently unavailable—as has been reported by many users).

I'd love to know how many others have had your experience.

• Like 1

Well, if it's a "user-specific bug" than I've got it on three different computers.  The new evernote is unacceptably slow.  High end computer systems with GB Internet and the web site and all computers are taking over 1 minute just to open and see my list of notes.  Useless.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

I dropped V10 for Windows desktop after about 15 minutes, severe lack of function and speed.  I use a 7 year old Lenovo x230 (8GB mem with SSD) docked with two monitors.  Response time is virtually instantaneous with 51k notes on 6.25.1.  V10 was like web browsing with a really bad connection. 

Sticking with 6.25.1 until this gets sorted.  Geez, I hope it gets sorted to some extent.  Version 6.25.1 is the best option on the market at this point for my use case.  What a shame that statement is.

• Like 2
On 12/5/2020 at 4:13 AM, NJH-2000 said:

I'm not sure how this can relate to the Processor, RAM or internet speed. I'm using the same machine and same internet to compare V10 and legacy. (Ive got a good machine. Internet is average at best)

Ive been working with V10 some more this morning and its only confirming my initial reactions. Slow, clunky and missing a lot of features that I have previously relied on.

To be fair the actual note taking function seems much improved and the rendering of web page notes and pdfs seems better. Overall its not an improvement for me though.

I'm sure different users will be impacted differently as there are so many use case scenarios for Evernote.

For now I have reinstalled the legacy app and am running it alongside V10. I'm remaining hopeful that Evernote will improve with coming updates  (I really don't want to change app) but I'm also now keeping my eye open for alternatives.

How do you reinstall legacy. I cannot use the newest version. It is really horrible... modern design? give me a break. I don't use Evernote to win beauty contests. I used it to get stuff done.

• Like 3

I installed 10.4.4 but haven't been able to login since the install ! I'm all for updates but judging by the amount of people having this same issue it needs sorting quickly.  I've now installed Evernote Legacy and will stick with that for now.

Come on Evernote you're better than this !

• Like 1
On 12/5/2020 at 4:13 AM, NJH-2000 said:

Found this earlier.

This guy is brilliant and offers great insights on the future field of note taking; thought organizing, and collaboration. Along with pointing out the obvious DOWNGRADING OF EVERNOTE in its 10.x release, his major criticism is that Evernote, the company, DOES NOT LISTEN TO ITS USERS. To me, that is a death knell. The whole point of a product like Evernote is to enable the productivity and effectiveness of its users and if it is making decisions counter to that principle, then it might as well start making kid's video games. I poked around last night and every time I found a post from an Evernote "leader" I found them saying "Tell us what you think." and then closing down any opportunity for user feedback (i.e. the reply option was locked). That says it all. Plus 10 weeks to get a response from the tech support staff. Be Patient? Are you f'g kidding me? Hire more people or release a product that has been adequately tested. I spent 40 years in software development from being a lowly programmer in 1965 (yes, I'm an elder - 78 yo woman) to leading project teams developing major systems for major firms. I'm totally clear what it means when you can't keep up with customer complaints and technical issues. Give me a break!

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
On 12/3/2020 at 6:11 AM, NJH-2000 said:

Just updated to the latest version of Evernote. Why is it so slow! Prior to this update pages opened instantly. Now its a wait so long that that is not helpful at all. I hope this is just a temporary issue - maybe the data is loading up in a new location on my HDD? If not then Evernotes usefulness to me has been significantly diminished.

Also - previously I seem to remember being able to change the location of the local storage. I don't see that option anymore. Any reason for this.

Evernote has for several years been a central part of my work organization and productivity - these new changes are concerning..

Any intel would be well appreciated

Ever since I upgraded to the newest version of Evernote it is completely useless. I've started compiling notes in my Notes app on my Mac. It's so fast and instantaneous—the way Evernote USED TO BE. What the heck happened to it? It's HORRIBLE. I type a note and wait several minutes to see what I typed appear on my screen. If anyone has a suggestion or workaround, I'd be grateful.

• Like 1

The NEW! IMPROVED! (NOT!!) Evernote 10!  Everything Evernote customers have been demanding!  Yeah, sarcasm.  Evernote went from usable with hiccups, to simply unusably slow with reduced features and massive UI changes in version 10.  I'm with the earlier poster who questioned whether adults are in charge at Evernote Inc.  Certainly doesn't seem like it!

I've given extensive feedback in the past to Evernote about my desire for what Nimbus Note calls "Workspaces" to keep the parts of my life segregated.  At the time, I didn't even know that other product called them workspaces, and don't know if it had that feature at the time.  Why this feature?  I don't want my personal research notes popping up when I do a search at work to show a colleague.  I want my work technical stuff to be in its own cordoned-off area.  Evernote's answer was "buy more paid Evernote accounts!"  Even if that was "sort of" a solution, it was super-awkward in practice.

I don't think adults are in charge at Evernote.  They've been pushing "Evernote for Business" for a few years, with a product that has a significant initial learning curve, but at least to make up for that, once you master it, it's buggy, unreliable, random crashes, random 15 second waits for no apparent reason, and the list goes on.  Pretty much any business colleague or coworker I tried to get to use Evernote would question my sanity.  My feedback to Evernote was "first, make your product reliable enough for production use!" And I'm sure I'm not alone...

Well Evernote, if you're trying to push your long-term customers to alternative platforms, you're certainly doing an excellent job of it!  Congratulations!!  Evernote's competitors seem to be doing a better job of listening to Evernote's customers and users than Evernote Corp. itself is.  Given the product trajectory, I was looking for Evernote stock to short, but then it became apparent Evernote Corp. never went public.  

Pushing an UNUSABLE EverNote V10 on us--frankly unbelievable.  Call it a beta, whatever, but don't pretend it's a production-level product.  Evernote, you've slid further down the slope of becoming an untrustworthy company, and as customers we are still supposed to trust the you with the important information that is the lifeblood of our productivity as people and our career edge as marketable and in-demand knowledge workers?  You could get away with that when there wasn't much competition.  Now it seems there is legit competition, younger models, without the baggage of rigid inflexibility, and actually willing and capable of listening.

• Like 2
On 2/2/2021 at 8:48 PM, ehrt74 said:

Evernote v10 works really well for me. Both the Android app and the web app are much improved.

Fair enough; I notice you didn't mention the EverNote 10 PC app.  My complaints pretty much all involve the Windows EverNote app.  The Android app seems to be still decent, besides the UI changes.  I preferred the prior mobile UI, but not a huge issue.  Based on your comment I checked out the Web version--I virtually never used the Web version--and it's actually not bad, serviceable when that's all that's available, clearly better than I remember it being.  So I'm trying to be fair here, despite my frustrations.

The Windows app is where I do my information curation, because it's been the fastest, UI-richest place to work.  So the slowness and loss of features and stripped-down Windows UI is a huge issue for me.  Reverting back to the 6.25 Legacy EverNote is a big improvement over the current Windows version of 10.  Maybe EverNote can improve on the performance and loss of features issues in the Windows version once they have more cross-platform things sorted out.

The other huge issue is with EverNote's marketing and responsiveness to customer wishes.  Chasing the corporate/business market with a buggy, quirky, unstable product (Not that they'd be the first), while virtually ignoring the wishes of most of their core user base.  Partitions, to keep separate roles separate, and multiple levels of folders, on a lot of people's wish lists.  So I'm taking a hard look at Nimbus; it has both those things... I'm sure it has its own "special" issues to compensate.

5 hours ago, James D63 said:

Fair enough; I notice you didn't mention the EverNote 10 PC app.  My complaints pretty much all involve the Windows EverNote app.  The Android app seems to be still decent, besides the UI changes.  I preferred the prior mobile UI, but not a huge issue.  Based on your comment I checked out the Web version--I virtually never used the Web version--and it's actually not bad, serviceable when that's all that's available, clearly better than I remember it being.  So I'm trying to be fair here, despite my frustrations.

The Windows app is where I do my information curation, because it's been the fastest, UI-richest place to work.  So the slowness and loss of features and stripped-down Windows UI is a huge issue for me.  Reverting back to the 6.25 Legacy EverNote is a big improvement over the current Windows version of 10.  Maybe EverNote can improve on the performance and loss of features issues in the Windows version once they have more cross-platform things sorted out.

The other huge issue is with EverNote's marketing and responsiveness to customer wishes.  Chasing the corporate/business market with a buggy, quirky, unstable product (Not that they'd be the first), while virtually ignoring the wishes of most of their core user base.  Partitions, to keep separate roles separate, and multiple levels of folders, on a lot of people's wish lists.  So I'm taking a hard look at Nimbus; it has both those things... I'm sure it has its own "special" issues to compensate.

Yeah, i only use Ubuntu, ChromeOS and Android, so the only ways for me to use Evernote are the Android app and the WebApp, so I'm a big fan of v10 :)

About the change requests you mentioned, these are probably examples of things which just couldn't have been done before the move to v10, so I'm hopeful that these features (and others) will be added in the near future :) 

I'm not sure Evernote offers v10 to corporate/business customers yet. I presume they're all still using the "legacy" versions for OSX and Windows.

17 hours ago, James D63 said:

I completely agree here. I was in on some of the beta versions and ended up uninstalling them b/c they were so buggy and lacked features I was used to using on a daily basis (import folder for one). Since v.10 was released I've kept with the legacy version on my PC but did use the web version to see what all the excitement about the home page is.  I do think it's a big improvement over the previous web version, which I rarely used because it was so ugly. However, my android phone EN app says it's up to date yet there has been no change at all.  I have the latest version of android so I don't know why it won't upgrade.

I use EN much like the person in the video above - for my (veterinary) medical resources and most recently while working on my master's degree. I dread the idea of migrating but if they stop supporting the legacy Windows app and force upgrade to v.10 I will be moving on as well.

On 12/4/2020 at 1:07 AM, Piotas said:

if you browsed forums, you already know - evenote v10 is a different product - a simplified, web-wrapper for evernote web that mimics a real app - but in reality it is just a javacript web app https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron/ software_framework employee monitoring softwarerunning in a window. I cannot be fast because it is NOT a real app.

wow, need to read more about this...
in any case, the latest versions disappointed me very much, like everyone else, i think
since about October last year, things have gone awry (

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere in this thread someone said they still had local copies of their data while using v10. How? I want the ability to back up my data my ways.

Does anyone have success to report migrating from Evernote to something else?

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Somewhere in this thread someone said they still had local copies of their data while using v10. How? I want the ability to back up my data my ways.

There is an "offline" data copy stored locally    
Identify the folder(s) and back up   

Windows          C:/users/<youraccount>/appdata/roaming /evernote
Mac                     /Users/<youraccount>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, terrinakamura said:

I wasn't able to find my local backup. Can you give me a bit more information? Thanks.

I specified the folder location above at (https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/131778-just-updated-to-v1044-why-is-it-so-slow-and-where-is-local-data-now-stored/?do=findComment&comment=608145)

What additional information do you need?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DTLow said:

There is an "offline" data copy stored locally    
Identify the folder(s) and back up   

Windows          C:/users/<youraccount>/appdata/roaming /evernote
Mac                     /Users/<youraccount>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

Got it! Thank you. For me it was at C:\Users\david\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\. 

A helpful utility tip, something I use all the time, just as to quickly locate this folder, is Everything by voidtools.com. A super Windows file search tool.

Thank you, DTlow.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

@DTLowThe path on the directory didn't show Library/Application Support/Evernote. Evernote is not listed.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, terrinakamura said:

@DTLowThe path on the directory didn't show Library/Application Support/Evernote. Evernote is not listed.

Please show a screenshot of your storage - here's mine1689882887_ScreenShot2021-02-16at16_41_53.png.6be941015677440c78d8123720e6d49d.png

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, terrinakamura said:

@DTLowI'm not seeing the same sequence. When I go to Users/terrinakamura there is no Library listed.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/07/27/how-to-see-hidden-files-and-folders-in-macos

Apple has included an easy way to see the files for those using macOS Sierra and newer releases. A keyboard shortcut can be used to toggle between making the files visible or hiding them again. 

Open Finder and navigate to the folder you wish to use. Press the key combination Command-Shift-. (Period) to toggle between the two states.

• Thanks 1

@DTLowCommand-shift-. is a pretty nifty shortcut. I found "library" was hidden, and found "Application support," then found "com.evernote.Evernote" and "com.evernote.EvernoteHelper" but didn't find an archive of any sort. But after all this I think I'm going to copy the important files and paste them into Google docs. Evernote used to be so awesome and now it sucks. I don't know why they did an upgrade because it essentially ruined what was otherwise a terrific app.

Thanks very much for your help. Evernote should put you on their payroll.

Cheers/Thanks again, Terri

• 2 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 8:09 PM, WilliamL said:

You said that moderators should start moving in... that's a scary -my view. You can disagree, say your opinions and users with enough intelligence will see it as such, opinions. Others unfortunately, won't. But overall there's no need for Moderators to do the 'thinking' for them. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

This is a general thread. Ask for „how to make EN faster“ is a very global question.

If you want help for a specific client, post in the subforum for your type of client.The answer depends on which client you want to speed up. Spoiler: Probably there is not much to be done on this end.

9 hours ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

Is there a way to make Evernote a little faster? Rebuild the database or something similar? It takes about 10 seconds to complete a "Delete Note" command. Another 10 seconds to attach a document to a note. It is painfully slow.

10 seconds is abnormally slow. On my windows PC, these actions take less than 1 second (for a single delete or attach).

Have you checked your network speed?  Are these actions faster with disconnected network ?

• Level 5*

Doing some testing with the web version it took 45 seconds to complete the display of the list and the first note when I selected my largest notebook.  45 seconds.  I used an on screen timer.  20 seconds to display a search result of 15 or so notes.   I can’t drink to a world where this makes any sense.  Larger notes data base at the core I suppose.   ☹️

• Sad 1

OK. So I noticed something with the current version. If you start duplicating notes and attaching documents, EN will get slower and slower as you keep doing this type of actions. If you then shut it down and restart, it will be fast again (not as fast as the old native apps, but ok). 

After about 10 shutdowns and restarts I was able to complete my task yesterday.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Doing some testing with the web version it took 45 seconds to complete the display of the list and the first note when I selected my largest notebook.  45 seconds.  I used an on screen timer.  20 seconds to display a search result of 15 or so notes.   I can’t drink to a world where this makes any sense.  Larger notes data base at the core I suppose.   ☹️

And for the desktop version ?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, eric99 said:

And for the desktop version ?

The last time I tried the desktop version (a month ago maybe??) it was painfully slow as compared to 6.25.1.  Lose your train of thought slow.  But not as slow as the web.  That, the additional clicks, missing features, and the indexing lag have kept me with 6.25.1 pending improvements.  V10 isn't built for everyone at this point.

Thought I would try a different browser, I used Vivaldi with the above.  With Edge it took about 5 seconds as opposed to the 45 above.  With Firefox it took 6 seconds.  A return to Vivaldi took 24 seconds, though it did take 8 minutes to get started.  It treated my access as a first time event, not sure why.  A return to Edge, EN recognized I had been there before and it took 9 seconds this time.  Moral of the story - still slow but use Edge or Firefox I guess???

EDIT:  Back to Edge only.  FF does some weird stuff like not displaying all info in the notes list until you click on one of the notes.  Edge seems to be most uniform.  FWIW.

• Level 5

Just to add another browser (one that is not for everyone as well): For me v10 works fine on Safari, both on the Mac and on the iPad.

It is not the identical browser, but both run on the WebKit engine maintained by Apple.