keyboard shortcut for "expand/collapse note"

Gabe462

Idea

14 replies to this idea

I agree!
It's great to be able to switch to full focus on a note and hide everything else. Especially in the full screen mode. 
But then it is clumsy to switch back to viewing the notes list when changing between notes. There's already a nice shortcut for switching full screen mode on and off. Adding a shortcut for expanding the view to one note only, would make it great to enter in full focus writing mode with just two shortcut keys!

• Like 1

If it is not possible to create a keyboard shortcut for web version then I would like to ask you to fix a bug that was introduced in the latest versions:

- if you have expanded some note and see something like this:

image.png.9416f309d46cf080efd298fce70024be.png

- then mouse click to collapse note will cause not only collapsing but opening an account menu like this:

image.png.01967d1a53180ca4fc9e025d5969fc57.png

So you either need to click account icon or press escape button to remove it. This is really annoying. :)

Thank you.

With best regards and wishes,
Alex.

I agree. It's great to see a fullscreen view of just the note with no distractions, but as soon as you want to exit, i.e. collapse the note, moving my hand over to the mouse really breaks my flow and just all not a very good user experience. I use a Macbook Air and so on a smaller screen, I almost always need to expand a note to get the most screen area to take notes, but then getting out of it pretty clunky. 

• Like 2
On 4/17/2021 at 10:23 PM, Burner918 said:

I agree. It's great to see a fullscreen view of just the note with no distractions, but as soon as you want to exit, i.e. collapse the note, moving my hand over to the mouse really breaks my flow and just all not a very good user experience. I use a Macbook Air and so on a smaller screen, I almost always need to expand a note to get the most screen area to take notes, but then getting out of it pretty clunky. 

Exactly! You completely repeated my case. :)

So if it not possible to add shortcuts at least it should not be buggy and cause me additional actions in addition to using mouse to click small button.

Agree that this is a major annoyance - and frankly, it would seem to be a pretty basic concept. as Burner918 mentioned if you have a small screen one needs to expand the note. 

Some very basic functionality is missing.

EN user >10 years 

• Like 1

This feature is so vital and useful for anyone who spends time in the app that it deserves its own shortcut.

Any test user worth his or her salt would deem this functionality BASIC.

Why after so many years is it still absent? How many test users does Evernote hire?

Methinks these are the real questions.

• Like 2

Upvoting this because I too see the obvious benefit to having a shortcut available to expand/collapse as you should be able to seamlessly transition between views without having to use your mouse to click an icon.  Please Evernote, I love the keyboard shortcuts; find time to add this one, it's an immediate QoL improvement. 

• Like 2
On 11/20/2021 at 10:25 AM, ghon said:

for the EN web version on Microsoft Edge or Chrome you can use the free addon Evercuts. It allows to use keyboard shortcuts for this and other evernote actions.

As I got tired to way any movement in this direction I had created Tampermonkey script that add some shortcuts and UI tweaks to Evernote. :)

It has own story and evolution (some day it has some code to remove ads from UI, etc.). At the moment it add two the most useful shortcuts:

• Ctrl+Shift+Slash - turn on/off Evernote search (if available on the screen).
  • Ctrl+Shift+Backslash - tunr on/off full screen mode.

If you have already installed Tampermonkey (this add-on/plugin available for Firfox, Chrome, Edge) then you could install script by direct link: https://bitbucket.org/achernyakevich/tmsp-evernotehelper/raw/master/EvernoteHelper.user.js

You feedback and features request could be left in the project: https://bitbucket.org/achernyakevich/tmsp-evernotehelper/

• Like 1

Yes, this hotkey is so useful

please add hotkey to it, its like read mode in Mac device during web browsing.

some big and long article is so hard to read , when u wanna focus on it, using a quick hotkey is so handy.

Evernote is an reading / note taking application

enhancing the reading experience is so important , specially for quick readers,

productivity increase 

thank you so much for updating this hotkey 

• Like 1