My version reverts to 10.3.7 and then updates to 10.4.4 every day.

This is the third morning in a row that I have opened Evernote and it has been version 10.3.7. It automatically starts downloading the update and then prompts me to restart Evernote to update to 10.4.4. I restart Evernote and then I am working with 10.4.4. But when I restart my computer, I have 10.3.7, and it starts automatically downloading the update again.

• Evernote Expert

This happens to someone almost every time there is an update.  Never the same person but if you search back you'll find  almost every release finds someone with this issue.  @gazumped suggests uninstall/reinstall.  I've found just downloading the new version from the website and installing it over the top of the existing version works just as well and avoids the delay while the new version rebuilds its data which happens with an uninstall/reinstall.  I think either route will work however.

• Like 1

I am have the same problem. I tried @gazumped suggestion, uninstalled and installed 10.4.4 downloaded from the web. But same thing. I restart my computer. Start Evernote. Shows "We've updated you to 10.3.7." Another popup shows there's an newer version, which then updates to 10.4.4.

Any other solutions?

• Level 5

Hi All,

Thank you for letting me know. I'm currently further investigating into this issue.

When you close Evernote, and it reverts, how are you closing it? 

The next time you are prompted with the update, can you try going to "File" and selecting "Quit", and then re-open Evernote.

Do you get immediately prompted with the update prompt again?

4 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thank you for letting me know. I'm currently further investigating into this issue.

When you close Evernote, and it reverts, how are you closing it? 

The next time you are prompted with the update, can you try going to "File" and selecting "Quit", and then re-open Evernote.

Do you get immediately prompted with the update prompt again?

@gazumped's idea to uninstall and reinstall fixed it for me. However, I am not going to mark his post as a solution, because it appears there are others in this thread experiencing the same problem, and uninstalling/reinstalling did not fix it for at least one of them.

I am experiencing the same issue right now, and it seems to happen after quitting and restarting the app.

I got this pop ups as soon as I restarted the app, although I had 10.4.4 successfully installed and was using it before restarting.

1749362973_Screenshot2020-12-07225448.png.46b94cf60137d4065623cafef504c857.png

• Evernote Expert

Here's a guess at what MIGHT be happening.  Up to version 10.3.x the location of the EN10 executables was in one location (I've alread forgotten where it was something like %localappdata%\Apps\Evernote\Evernote) and with 10.4 it has moved to %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe

Could it be that the earlier version didn't completely uninstall and the shortcut to start the program is still picking up the uninstalled version 10.3?

A thorough clean out - perhaps deleting the data folder (%appdata%\Evernote) as well and allowing everything to rebuild from scratch.

I think agsteele is right. After I uninstalled the app, my shortcut was still active and I was still able to open it. Windows think it is gone because it is no longer listed under the list of app that I can uninstall. I will try gazumped's suggestion to use Revo unstaller.

• Level 5*

Hmmn - did Revo find an Evernote app and try at least to remove it?  You could try running it again to see whether there's still an Evernote listing that it can try to remove,  or maybe try Windows Uninstall again...

• Evernote Expert

OK... here's my suggestion... Please note that I cannpt promise success. But this will leave you in a position to reinstall from scratch.

1. Ensure you have uninstalled Evernote version 10.x with the standard uninstall process/Revo uninstaller.
  2. Open Windows File explorer and navigate to %localappdata%\Apps\
  3. If you can see a folder called Evernote then delete it.
  4. Now navigate to %LocalAppData%\Programs\
  5. Again if you can see a folder called Evernote then delete that.
  6. Finally navigate to %AppData%\
  7. Again, if you can see a folder called Evernote then delete that

You have now removed all versions of Evernote 10

8. Download the latest version of Evernote 10 from the website and install
       9. Log in to your Evernote account with your username and password
       10. Once you are logged in the data files will be recreated and after a short wait you should be running the latest version

This really should be a last resort if nothing else works.

• Like 1

Hi gazumped and agsteele. Thanks so much for your advices. Strangely, I think I got 10.4.4 to stick now. 

After I uninstalled Evernote using Revo, I clicked the app shortcut for Evernote and it still opened. It was 10.3.7 and it asked to update again. I updated it and it became 10.4.4. I quit the app and restarted. Before, it would revert to 10.3.7 at that point and ask to update again, but now it does not ask to update. It is stuck on 10.4.4. 

Maybe Revo cleaned out one version leaving only the other version left in the computer which allowed clean update on that one version? 

Anyways, that's how got it fixed. (for now.)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the very same problem occur again with 10.5.7 reverting to 10.4.4. I uninstalled, restarted, and reinstalled manually again. Then I logged on and saw everyone else's advice. So unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to try the methods everyone discussed here in this thread.

However, when I uninstalled Evernote in Windows's built in "Add or remove programs," I had to uninstall two separate versions of Evernote—10.4.4 and 10.5.7. So that would seem to confirm at least some of what people are saying here.

Also of note is that I always install Evernote for just my user, but updates appear to automatically install the program for all users.

Finally, when I reinstall Evernote, I am always automatically logged in and my notes are already loaded into the program. I am not a techie, so maybe this is a normal thing, but it does bother me because when I uninstall a program I expect it to remove all of my data from the computer. I wouldn't want someone else to be able to reinstall Evernote on my computer and see all of my notes without even being asked to log in.

For my PC, Revo Uninstaller worked.

After I uninstalled EN with Revo, I think it removed one version on my computer leaving another ghost version alive. When I clicked the shortcut that was still alive after I supposedly uninstalled EN, that remaining version of EN updated to the latest version and no more endless update since then.

Not sure the same method work for Mac.

Thanks for this but I've searched and there is only one version on my Mac and no Windows type shortcuts so not sure if it will work. For now I have removed it and downloaded the app version from the website again so will see what happens. I hope a Mac user will let me know if there are any other tricks I can try.

• Evernote Expert
23 hours ago, micp2247 said:

I hope a Mac user will let me know if there are any other tricks I can try.

Given that these are the Windows forums you might get more help in the parallel Mac user areas. I'm pretty sure that the key is always a complete uninstall. Not just uninstall the program but also checking that all left over data and directories are removed.  Then install the new program from scratch and that should work provided the easier install over the top of the program hasn't already done the job.  (No idea if that works on a Mac).