Evernote for Mac Still Painfully Slow in Version 10.4.4

Hi all,

I am running Evernote on a Mac running Big Sur. I was having the same problems with the previous build that others were reporting here:  long lag times, blank white screens, and messages asking me to reload the program.

I finally got a response to my support ticket today, telling me to download Version 10.4.4.  While I am not getting error messages right now, the program is still painfully slow to the point of being almost unusable.   Notes take forever to show up in the program, and then when I go to open an individual note, I face another long delay.   Are others still experiencing this issue in v. 10.4.4?

• Like 1

Yes, I am on a MacBook Air running 10.15.7. I just updated to the new and 'improved' Evernote 10.4.4. for Mac and it is sooooo slow! Notes that I use all the time that have previously been almost instantaneous now take 5-10 seconds to load, which is such a drag.  I've used Evernote heavily for a decade and never seen anything like this. The whole point of using the desktop app rather than the cloud/web version is to be fast and have notes at your fingertips. And now it seems they have changed it so notes need to populate rather than living in the app. Really disappointing. If this persists I will have to find a new note app! 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I am glad I am not the only one!  PAINFULLY slow.  Works for am minute when I exit and restart, then slows again.  The old version was great!  I want it back!

I am on 10.5.7 build 2171 public

Macbook Air Catalina 10.15.7

8GB Memory

Having the same problems with latency as you. Catalina 64G RAM. It’s not our systems, it’s the app. Lots of staring at spinning green circles while dragging and dropping. This app should have, as someone besides me suggested, offered as a public beta until the kinks got worked out. I’ve been with Evernote a long time and seen a few mistakes that required effort to tolerate but always felt they were trying. They are scrambling now but the timing couldn’t be worse. It’s the end if the year and we who use Evernote for a lot of our personal and business financial docs are utterly stunned at how much more time tasks we’ve been doing for literally years is going to take us thanks to this huge misstep. It is trying on the patience.

• Like 1

I went back to the Legacy app yesterday and it functions fine. I will be able to get my end of year business organized in a much faster timeline with it rather than 10. I will take a wait and see attitude to see if 10 actually survives and if so of it will work for my needs. I really hope it is either shelved or drastically improved.

• 1 month later...

I am continuing to have this same kind of problem.  I am now using version 10.6.9 on my Early 2014 Macbook Air using MacOS Big Sur 11.1.  When I open the app and try to see an All Notes listing, I get a blank screen.  My workaround is to use the online version on Chrome.  Is it possible that my hardware is too old?  Would Evernote start to work properly if I upgraded my hardware?  Best wishes, Rob

Make certain you are using the Legacy app. It will have a grey icon rather than the green icon from Evernote 10. The two versions can run side by side which can be confusing. The ribbon on the top of your screen should also say “Evernote Legacy”.

It is not your hardware. 

On 12/1/2020 at 11:52 PM, Steve Mark said:

Hi all,

I am running Evernote on a Mac running Big Sur. I was having the same problems with the previous build that others were reporting here:  long lag times, blank white screens, and messages asking me to reload the program.

I finally got a response to my support ticket today, telling me to download Version 10.4.4.  While I am not getting error messages right now, the program is still painfully slow to the point of being almost unusable.   Notes take forever to show up in the program, and then when I go to open an individual note, I face another long delay.   Are others still experiencing this issue in v. 10.4.4?

Evernote is also very slow on my Mac.  It is truly terrible.  I'm afraid Evernote have lost the plot.  From being so good this product is just a disaster.  I pay for Evernote but not the Premium version.  To try to charge £40 a year for this trash is a nonsense.  You can get all the Microsoft Apps for less than £60 a year.  No comparison.

I am finding the same thing. Newish Macbook Air with an intel I7 and 16GB of RAM. I've been on calls where I literally cannot take notes in Evernote because old notes won't load and even a new note window won't load. I've been forced to take notes in a text editor. Not sure if this is worth the premium subscription price.

Good on you for bring so patient. For those of us who need and want to use Evernote as a reliable and efficient tool, Legacy is the way to go. We simply don’t have time in the middle of a workflow to quit and log back in just in an effort to use the “new” app. Why would we want to waste precious time when there is an alternative?

I continue to patiently wait for something better to happen with Evernote 10 but frankly the lack of response to those of us who are unhappy with it is becoming concerning.

I am having the same problem on windows. I resinstalled the new evernote several times and it opens to a white screen. No tabs for notes or notebooks. I cannot do anything with this app on my PC. Please help. It's clear I am not the only one with this problem.

thanks

Todd

The best thing to do now, at least in my opinion and with my experience, is to stick with Legacy. You can keep Evernote 10 and they will run side by side (though I believe you will use more hard drive space on your local files since two copies are made). I think we are trying to be as patient as possible although we are now approaching 3 months of Evernote 10 and features are being added but performance continues to be poor to awful. Time will tell if this is a permanent problem. If that proves to be the case, there are alternatives. As a long time user, I find this especially sad.

I'm running EN v10.7.6 on MacBook Pro Big Sur v. 11.1.  I'm having the same problem.  I've been a "Premium" member for 9 years. The version 11 isn't any better. Extremely slow, constantly downloads double notes copied from web via Web Clipper, blank pages.....IT HORRIBLE....

Anyone have an ALTERNATE suggestion....I'm ready to give EN the BOOT!!!! 

I'm running 10.7.6-mac-mas-public (458452), Editor: v117.1.15008, Service: v1.27.2 on Big Sur v11.2.1 on an apple silicon chip 13" M1 MacBook Pro.

Performance is not bad...but definitely NOT as snappy as it used to be.  I'm also experiencing crashes.   Doesn't lose my data on the crash...but is frustrating.

Anyone know of an optimized version for Apple silicon that runs better?

• 1 month later...

I am with you. V10 client is the slowest, and the most frequently restarted, the most frustrating app in my system.  This software seems to be a pure failure. This offline client sometimes requires more than 20 seconds to load 20 bytes of text note from my SSD fast enough to transfer 40 GB of data for the time. No significant improvements from the initial release. Evernote should stop trying to improve the slowest ever software. You should re-write it.