Insert Date Time function only inserts Date!

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

As a heavy Evernote user for 8+ years (paid), I relied a number of functionalities.

I'm a writer. When I'm interviewing someone on the phone, even though the conversation is recorded, I'd like to make quick date/time stamp inserts with Ctrl + ; during especially beautiful phrases, so I could make sure I got them correct and in context.

The shortcut has changed to the SUPER awkward for touch typist "shift - alt - D" (try doing that quickly with someone talking at 300 words a minute). BUT it gets better. This supposed  date/time function only inserts the date and not the TIME which I desperately need.

I won't go into the GUI, the bloated/slow search function, and my other issues. 

HOW DO I GET A QUICK KEYBOARD TIME INSERT BACK?

This, seriously, could be a deal breaker. I can go to Google Keep for mediocre but FREE note keeping. Oh, and the "higher than usual volume" BS from the support ticket is as believable as zero calorie cheesecake. 10-12 days is absurd.

• Solution
16 hours ago, JamesC said:

EN have separated the ability to add the date and time into two separate short cuts. As you rightly say you can add the date with alt-shift-D. You can add the current time with ctrl-shift-D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, JamesC said:

As @gazumped mentioned, the Legacy product is still available    
Personally, I use a script utility; it inserts a timestamp in my preferred format

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Personally, I use a script utility; it inserts a timestamp in my preferred format

That is what I personally do and prefer as well, no matter what app, product or device I'am working in/with.
(script-like text-snippets with TextExpander-APP-keyboard on iOS or "hotstrings" for different timestamp-formats with autohotkey in windows-applications and web-browsers with windows...).

Everywhere the same easy to access date-strings with - in my case - a phrase like "dter" for "date-reverse" fomatted like "2020-12-02".
Works well, easy to remember and speeds up typing.

• Thanks 1

@Mike P Thank you, thank you, thank you. EN has not updated their knowledgebase with that instruction, and all I've received from EN so far is a form letter telling me to download the fix for their behemoth blunder.

@DTLow&@HeBoIz  I don't know why it never dawned on me to look for a script solution that's universal. I think I've become too comfortable with MS's built in shortcuts that are mostly adequate. Thanks for the suggestion!

5 minutes ago, JamesC said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. EN has not updated their knowledgebase with that instruction,

You are welcome. The keyboard shortcuts page in the knowledgebase is a disgrace. It is full of omissions, errors and things that simply do not work.

No worries, mate. 😉

An Autohotkey hotstring for  expanding Date time (dtm) like "2020-12-02 20:20" could look e.g. as follows:

:C*:dtm::
FormatTime, MyDateTime, today, yyyy-MM-dd  HH:mm
Send %MyDateTime%
Return

Aha! After staring at the help page for a while, and extrapolating from the Mac guidance, I found the shortcut that inserts the time of day in the Windows editor: Ctrl-Shift-D

It's an annoyance that Ctrl-; doesn't work any more, but on the other hand I can now insert time without date. I'll live with it for now.

Meanwhile, Evernote: please add this missing information to the knowledgebase!

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, simonparkerdublin said:

I found the shortcut that inserts the time of day in the Windows editor: Ctrl-Shift-D

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004807-Keyboard-shortcuts-in-Evernote-for-Windows
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313358-Keyboard-shortcuts-in-Evernote-for-Mac

The Windows documentation needs to be updated; no reference to time insert

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 12/3/2020 at 11:39 AM, simonparkerdublin said:

Aha! After staring at the help page for a while, and extrapolating from the Mac guidance, I found the shortcut that inserts the time of day in the Windows editor: Ctrl-Shift-D

It's an annoyance that Ctrl-; doesn't work any more, but on the other hand I can now insert time without date. I'll live with it for now.

Grrr... Since I upgraded to 10.6.9 none of the editing keystrokes work! Not only date and time, but even bold and strikethrough have gone. What's the story, Evernote?

2 hours ago, simonparkerdublin said:

Grrr... Since I upgraded to 10.6.9 none of the editing keystrokes work! Not only date and time, but even bold and strikethrough have gone. What's the story, Evernote?

Not sure this explains the date and time issue but it does the other shortcuts you are missing

• 5 months later...

Autohotkey solution that mimics the Ctrl + ;

^;::  
FormatTime, MyDateTime, today, yyyy-MM-dd  hh:mm tt
Send %MyDateTime%
Return

The first row is a carat, then a semicolon, then two colons

building off of @HeBolz 

• 9 months later...
  • Evernote Expert
4 minutes ago, Richard V. said:

I just started using Evernote 2 months ago and I can't believe they don't have this as a menu item. I'm considering going back to Word. 

The Windows keyboard shortcuts are Alt+Shift+D for date and Ctrl+Shift+D for time.

You'll find this detailed in the Keyboard Shortcuts menu or type Ctrl+/