Apple Silicon M1 version of Evernote 10

Fred V.
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

I've received my brand new iMac 24" with M1 Hardware - super cool, super silent, very fast - only a few of my main Apps are still not native: the awful Garmin software, the rare reMarkable client, and, well, Evernote - and it is as slow as before* - while all other Apps are running as crazy...

Today I opened a support ticket and raised my hands "please make an universal App":

Apple hardware native (M1 chip) is currently not supported by Evernote app. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I’ve gone ahead and made note of this for our development team

time will tell.

*) it runs OK - but if you compare it to native Apps it is noticeable laggy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to add to the frustrations that EN has still not updated their app for MacOS to support Apple silicon after almost a year since Apple released it. All other apps that I regulsarly use have been updated to support native AS.

EN in its current form is consistently a resource-hogging app and most of the time identified as one that is using significant energy just running open in the background. I have much more processor-intensive apps installed that run far more efficiently than EN laying idle in the background.

Like many others, we're trying our best to hold onto using EN but it's becoming increasingly frustrating using their slow and clunky platform.

• Like 4

This is the official reply on its Facebook page. Hope they won’t take too long…

Hi there,

Thanks for checking in with us. We, unfortunately, do not have an estimated timeline to share at this time. However, I can confirm it is on our roadmap and we hope to support Evernote running natively with the new Apple M1 chips ASAP!

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know. We're here to help!

- Claudia

• Like 6

Launch on particular is slow, and it’s not to do with other open apps.

It’s actually not that much slower than under Intel, but I have noticed that apps optimised for M1 load really quickly.

Today I installed a sort of simpler Evernote alternative for the Apple ecosystem, called Bear and imported all my notes.

Time taken from clicking to having the first note editable:

EN: 14s

Bear: under 1s

Often I want to just scribble something down. Maybe I’m on the phone and want to just write something down. 14s makes this so painful! We’re not talking about loading all the textures in a video game or something for goodness sake. What’s it doing? By the way around a third of the time seems to be just launching so no window nothing, next third I have a blank window, then I have notes but blurred while the last third does something that eventually unblurs them.

This is a brand new MacBook Pro 16 M1, 16GB RAM nothing else running.

Another example.

Tried selecting all my EN notes to export them, it pauses for maybe 10+ seconds actually processing my multiple selection and then popped up a message saying I’d selected more than 50

After importing into Bear, multiple selection of all notes (about 80 or so) is instant.

Any other big gripe with EN is the amount of time I end up with editing conflicts so I’m curious to see if Bear handles this any better.

For sure Bear is likely much too dumbed down for many of you good folk but I originally, a few years ago, got Evernote because it seemed equally simple.

Now it just feels bloated and to be honest for my needs there are much faster and snappier alternatives where the dev is obviously committed to the Apple ecosystem, so probably better for me.

I hope this feedback is useful to the developers. I don’t usually post, I’m a silent user but this is my experience. If you want to keep people like me (and my sub is an annual one expiring next year) then optimise your app for my machine. Short launch time in particular is actually huge feature for a notes app where by its nature you dip in and out.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

There is an obvious alternative, and it just got a decent update with iOS 15: Apple Notes.

For jotting down a quick note it has exactly that feature, a Quick Note that is available in many apps by just swiping the finger or pencil from the bottom right corner inwards. It is context sensitive, a note taken on this page would automatically bear the URL of the page where it was taken.

My issue with Apple Notes is a lack of a decent export for my content. This deficiency is shared by many other note apps - a question to be answered to avoid being locked in one day.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

It is pretty clear what EN needs to do: They use a framework, called Electron. The version they use is the last before Apple released the M1.

They need to upgrade the framework to a version that supports the M1.

That‘s it, and only EN knows what else they need to do to switch over. The change will affect all users of a desktop app - there is no way to upgrade just the framework for the Mac.

Personally I think they got burned a bit when releasing v10, and will make it very sure that everything works before they upgrade.

• Like 1

Just coming to this thread...  22s to load Evernote on my Mac M1 8GB.  And everytime I open it it says there is a new version to download.  It's nuts.

Looking at the update information: 

Fixed 🛠

- If the app seems a little zippier, that's not your imagination. We made some tweaks so it now starts up even faster.

Hmmm....wait a minute it says version 10.27.5...  I did wonder if this thing isn't updating each time because literally every time I open there's an update?  Oh no, after updating its now 10.28.3.  Ok re-test - no, still 22s to open. This is truly diabolical for a note taking app that I pay £50 for each year.

Why are Apple Silicon apps important?  Well, something has been ***** with my SSD - after one year with M1 MacBook Air my drive lifetime left is just 85% - TBs and TBs of data have been written to my SSD by kernel task and I have no idea why but I have a hunch that it is something to do with non-M1 apps running in Rosetta with some sort of memory leakage leading to large swap files.  As a result I am trying expunge anything Intel based that needs Rosetta (albeit it works very well most of the time).  To be fair the culprit is probably Microsoft Teams which I normally leave open so I've ditched the desktop version of this and swapped to running it as an Edge browser app which works just as well.  I will probably do the same for Evernote, although because of its bloat I don't normally have it running as part of my workflow.  Apart from onenote and dropbox finder integrations (which I can do without) the only remaining Intel app is the Evernote web clipper....  perhaps Evernote could at least make a M1 version of the webclipper for Safari?

(NB if only one wants to see what Apps you are running that are Intel or Apple Silicon, you can see it in Activity Monitor if you add the 'kind' column).

• Like 1

10 year user here, probably 7 of which have been Premium.  The apparent lack of engagement by Evernote on this issue after this amount of time is embarrassing.  Long-term users like myself will certainly be looking for alternatives if this is the level of responsiveness we can expect from Evernote regarding one of its core platforms.  The idea that a two-year old legacy app performs exceedingly better than the past year+ of updates is sadly discouraging.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Have you tried installing the iOS version ? Don’t know whether this is allowed by EN, but technically it should work.

With the request that everything must work natively on an M1 from day 1 - do you REALLY think that this must be at the top of the backlog down at EN engineering ? Given the number of issues ALL users have, and the nittybitty number of M1s out in the field, this would be way down on MY list.

• Like 1

No I have not tried the iOS, I will try that to see how that works.

I'm sure it's not the priority to be compatible with M1 chips but it's again a proof that Evernote is doing a bad job with this new version : moving to Electron app with slowness and issues may at least have provided a way to have an automatic support of M1. It seems not to be the case...  

• Level 5

Well about the rollout strategy of EN we do not need discuss - quite a mess.

There are other companies around that are quite off the track - I upgraded to BigSur about a week ago, and got notified that my MacUpdate app (supervises the update situation and keeps appr. 60 of my apps up to date) is not yet ready for BigSur. Contacted support, and learned they need another 2-3 month (!) to fix things. And their only use case is to keep everything updated !

So probably it is Rosetta 2 at the moment for you, or try the iOS version.

Is Evernote able to run natively on Apple Silicon Macs and Big Sur? If not now, is that something you're working on? (I just got an M1 chip MacBook Pro yesterday, running the latest Big Sur. I'm very grateful for that new laptop.)

- Dennis

• Level 5
On 12/1/2020 at 10:14 AM, fotofah said:

Is Evernote able to run natively on Apple Silicon Macs and Big Sur?

For me EN 10.4.4 runs just as fast on a 9 year old mac with 10.13.6, versus a 3 year old mac with OS 11.0.1 (Big Sur).

Santa hasn't visited yet, so I can't comment on Silicon macs.

13 hours ago, robfol said:

Now that Microsoft and Adobe are delivering ARM versions of their complex apps for M1 Macs. 

When will we get an ARM Evernote?

That might help the speed problems?

I'm just guessing, but I think it could be several more weeks at least. Native support wasn't added to Electron until a month ago, and there's always a lag in adoption of the latest Electron, not to mention there's often a desire not to adopt the ".0" version. Electron 11.1, for what it's worth, was just released a week ago. 

• Like 1
On 11/25/2020 at 7:55 PM, PinkElephant said:

Well about the rollout strategy of EN we do not need discuss - quite a mess.

There are other companies around that are quite off the track - I upgraded to BigSur about a week ago, and got notified that my MacUpdate app (supervises the update situation and keeps appr. 60 of my apps up to date) is not yet ready for BigSur. Contacted support, and learned they need another 2-3 month (!) to fix things. And their only use case is to keep everything updated !

So probably it is Rosetta 2 at the moment for you, or try the iOS version.

PS try :Macupdater" from Core Code. Lists updates and ARM status 

On 11/25/2020 at 2:37 AM, Fred V. said:

Hello,

to be short and clear, I hate Evernote 10. I can't understand how such a beautiful program can be destroyed by a new version which is so slow and missing features.

But, as I mostly use Legacy version, I want to test the 10 on my new MAcBook Pro with Silicon chip.

The problem is that it seems the newest version of Evernote still isn't universal and still using Rosetta to work on M1 computers. I can't believe we are forced to use a bad tool and while other companies have already converted everything we are still using a Intel compatible version for Evernote.

Please tell me I'm wrong and I've missed the link for a Universal installation of Evernote for M1 chips

Thanks

Fred.

So true. A once great program is RUINED. Can't wait to see what destruction goes on next.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

Blablabla ...

There are plenty other companies that do not have a native ARM app out and running. Apple declares running apps on Rosetta is part of the official transition strategy, it works very well, so no harm done if it takes a little more time.

THIS is not what is bugging us with EN v10 !

Instead of waisting developers capacity to serve a tiny fraction of users currently running an M1 Mac (and able to use Rosetta), I rather expect them to fix what needs to be fixed, and get the stuff all users need on the release ramp.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

EN 10.6.9 works reasonably well on mac M1, with slightly faster note rendering than 3, 6, 9-year-old Intel mac's.

What, exactly, is the problem you are having?

Optimization for a brand new platform is the least of my concerns.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Peter Olins said:

EN 10.6.9 works reasonably well on mac M1, with slightly faster note rendering than 3, 6, 9-year-old Intel mac's.

All operations are SO slow, like working in treacle!

Especially adding files, it can take up to 20 seconds sometimes more for an added file to appear in EN.

V10 is markedly slower than previous versions, sometimes painfully slow, some of that has be to Intel coding

• Like 1
  • Level 5
17 hours ago, robfol said:

All operations are SO slow, like working in treacle!

I get a full range of performance from EN 10.6.9: ranging from good (almost as fast as Legacy), all the way to "treacle", to freeze, empty notes, and white screen on startup. I haven't figured out a consistent action associated with this instability, but I have seen a few trends:

Most problems occur immediately after launching the app, so I try to leave the app running as much as possible.

After launching, the app gradually gets better over a period of hours (weird!).

Moving from Legacy to EN 10+ is almost always a disaster, so I try to stay with EN 10+.

(mac OS 10.13.6 ..... 11.1)

20 hours ago, Peter Olins said:

Yes it may work well with Mac M1 but did you try Evernote Legacy ? The Legacy version as well as the version before 10 is extremely fast, doesn't take 2GB of memory with two notes opened and has all features we liked and we did not want to lose.

I think we all don't want to have a Silicon version just because we want big performance. We just hope that with Silicon native it will be faster. And I really hope that because i would love to be able to use the v10.

Thanks to your message I have seen that 10.6.9 existed (my 10.5 said that there were no new version !) and I discovered that a feature I had requested (lost from Legacy) had been implemented (being able to see .gif >10MB automatically).

I see that developers listen to their users and add good features. But it is still really really slow, using too much memory for small number of notes. Let's hope the Electron framework is able to make things fast and useable. 

• Level 5
2 minutes ago, Fred V. said:

Yes it may work well with Mac M1 but did you try Evernote Legacy ?

The subject of the thread is Apple Silicon M1.

For me, when it's working, EN 10.6.9 runs slightly slower than Legacy on an Intel mac. However, I've had a lot of trouble trying to switch between old/new on the same mac, so I haven't tried Legacy on the M1 mac.

1 hour ago, Fred V. said:

using too much memory

Are you finding that EN affects other apps running at the same time? I don't.

31 minutes ago, Peter Olins said:

The subject of the thread is Apple Silicon M1.

For me, when it's working, EN 10.6.9 runs slightly slower than Legacy on an Intel mac. However, I've had a lot of trouble trying to switch between old/new on the same mac, so I haven't tried Legacy on the M1 mac.

Are you finding that EN affects other apps running at the same time? I don't.

The subject of the thread is Apple Silicon M1 ?

Yes I agree, and i'm talking about using Evernote with Apple Silicon M1. And Evernote Legacy works extremely well with M1 and uses around 700MB RAM while Evernote 10 is really slow and begins eating 1.2GB RAM and can end with 2.5GB while working on it !

And yes, I feel it affects other apps running because it eats more than 2GB of memory. 

I have several applications opened on my computer. When I have Chrome, iTunes and a few other tools opened, I don't feel good when Evernote 10 adds 2GB of RAM Usage.

But again, going back to the topic and Silicon M1, what I would love is to see if a Silicon version of Evernote would eat less RAM, be a bit faster and I'd be the happiest user of Evernote.

I love Evernote, i have everything in my Evernote but understand it's hard for me to go from a quick application I use anytime to take small notes  to a big one which seems heavy and slow on the fastest laptop ever made in 2020 :)

Screenshot of memory usage after 10 minutes of having opened Evernote 10 while Legacy was already opened and used 

image.png.41fff076e91db64b64bb661c4a54fe17.png

• Level 5
9 hours ago, Fred V. said:

But again, going back to the topic and Silicon M1, what I would love is to see if a Silicon version of Evernote would eat less RAM, be a bit faster and I'd be the happiest user of Evernote.

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that the M1 handles memory differently

https://www.macworld.com/article/3597569/m1-macs-memory-isnt-what-it-used-to-be.html

One consequence is that the Activity Monitor can show memory usage of 25 GB total, even with a nominal RAM of 8GB. However, this generates only a low (green) memory pressure. In a quick trial, with MANY apps and pages open, I found it very hard to push the M1 into the yellow zone.

Bottom line, I'm not convinced that the slower performance of EN 10.6.9 versus Legacy is a consequence of insufficient RAM.

On the other hand, a fresh install of EN on a new machine (or downloading offline notes on an iPad) can use a lot of CPU (300-400%) and cause the device to get quite warm until a new database is created—especially with a large database.

38 minutes ago, Peter Olins said:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3597569/m1-macs-memory-isnt-what-it-used-to-be.html

One consequence is that the Activity Monitor can show memory usage of 25 GB total, even with a nominal RAM of 8GB. However, this generates only a low (green) memory pressure. In a quick trial, with MANY apps and pages open, I found it very hard to push the M1 into the yellow zone.

Bottom line, I'm not convinced that the slower performance of EN 10.5.9 versus Legacy is a consequence of insufficient RAM.

On the other hand, a fresh install of EN on a new machine (or downloading offline notes on an iPad) can use a lot of CPU (300-400%) and cause the device to get quite warm until a new database is created—especially with a large database.

Thanks, interesting article.

It's true that on my 8GB M1, I don't feel issue with memory even if there is more than 8 or 10GB used. But if I go further and open too much programs using too much memory, I can feel it badly and everything becomes slower. No miracle even with M1 :)

And I agree too, the fact that Evernote 10 is slower than legacy is not only a memory problem. Just that using more memory is another bad point against this version and this revolution with Evernote moving from native apps to Electron Framework app.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The M1 has a very fast SSD, and is swapping memory between RAM and the SSD. Let us just hope that the wear of the SSD cells by the swap does not take its tribute one day. 

The EN app will never return to the level of memory and CPU consumption as when it was natively programmed. Since there are other Electron-based apps that run reasonably well, I believe with some tweaking and tuning EN v10 will finally run in an acceptable range of resources consumption.

• Like 2
On 1/19/2021 at 9:17 PM, PinkElephant said:

The M1 has a very fast SSD, and is swapping memory between RAM and the SSD. Let us just hope that the wear of the SSD cells by the swap does not take its tribute one day. 

The EN app will never return to the level of memory and CPU consumption as when it was natively programmed. Since there are other Electron-based apps that run reasonably well, I believe with some tweaking and tuning EN v10 will finally run in an acceptable range of resources consumption.

I agree.

I have stopped being silly and played a bit more with Evernote 10. Even if I must close it after use to avoid keeping too much memory on this application, I felt it was really better than in the first versions and I'm happy the problems with GIF I had declared are now fixed and this feature is working perfectly as before.

Again, I wish the Silicon version could bring a bit more performance and less memory usage and I'll be almost ready to switch from Legacy to the real one :)

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, Daniel Shepherd said:

Evernote along with Dropbox are complete resource and process hogs on my M1 Mac.

EN 10.7.6 is working well on my M1 mac, using only a few % of CPU, with only brief small spikes in CPU usage after making a change, so I am in no hurry for a native app—the EN dev's have plenty on their plate IMHO.

Perhaps you recently installed EN on a new machine? If so, you can expect intense EN activity while a fresh database is created—I was running at 300%+ CPU while this process was taking place. This can take a long time: just leave the app open so that it can do its stuff. You can see the size of your database in ~/Library/Application Support.

Likewise, it's plausible that Dropbox has been busy downloading your content.

I have been using Evernote on Apple Air M1 and I think I would be using the web version for now as the energy impact is significant. The 12-hour Energy impact in terms of percentage of battery used was 7.89 compared to Safari which had the total impact of 5.83, keeping in mind I had 25+ tabs open.

I have been a paid heavy Evernote user for years.  I saw the company try to become much more than a great note taking application and the eventual change in leadership.  Anyway, I loved the previous version.  Bought an M1 8 GB and literally to return it as individual evernote helper renderers were between 100s MB to over 2 GB each.  This is reproducible.  It's way worse than chrome or Microsoft.  If it doesn't improve soon.  I'll migrate to something else.  Thanks for suggestion to use iOS.  Any other thoughts?

1244583280_2021-03-11_07-36-52(1).png.81fd0d917ca3e59a99a7c8e905241711.png

On 4/11/2021 at 4:15 PM, frenchjp said:

I have been a paid heavy Evernote user for years.  I saw the company try to become much more than a great note taking application and the eventual change in leadership.  Anyway, I loved the previous version.  Bought an M1 8 GB and literally to return it as individual evernote helper renderers were between 100s MB to over 2 GB each.  This is reproducible.  It's way worse than chrome or Microsoft.  If it doesn't improve soon.  I'll migrate to something else.  Thanks for suggestion to use iOS.  Any other thoughts?

1244583280_2021-03-11_07-36-52(1).png.81fd0d917ca3e59a99a7c8e905241711.png

Same for me, I'm still waiting for a M1 optimized version to hope for less memory usage. Not sure it works though.

In the meantime, you can try Evernote Legacy : it is not optimized for M1 but way better on memory usage and with all the good old Evernote features :)

I'm still using it and having it opened all time it still is below 1GB memory (while Evernote 10 grows to 2GB in less than 4 hours of usage)

I have an M1 Macbook Air and an M1 Mac Mini... both of which typically have Evernote open and running on a space at all times.  While I have never gone in to look at the system resources you are grabbing screenshots of, as a user, I have never noted any bit of slowness or performance issues on the M1 with Evernote running.  I am sure the numbers above are useful if you are trying to diagnose a problem, but if the system runs fine, why worry about it.  

Just posting this in case there are any Evernote users worried about upgrading to M1... as I have had absolutely no issues.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, aukirk said:

I have an M1 Macbook Air and an M1 Mac Mini... both of which typically have Evernote open and running on a space at all times.  While I have never gone in to look at the system resources you are grabbing screenshots of, as a user, I have never noted any bit of slowness or performance issues on the M1 with Evernote running.  I am sure the numbers above are useful if you are trying to diagnose a problem, but if the system runs fine, why worry about it.  

Just posting this in case there are any Evernote users worried about upgrading to M1... as I have had absolutely no issues.

You're right, it works fine. And i'm sure the M1 are the best to make the new Evernote work fine.

But if all programs use as much memory it may begin to make the computer very slow.

Chrome is using too much memory, Evernote too, if you have Photos / Music, Spotify and some other always-opened programs, you will see that all the memory is used and the computer is swapping. On very fast SSD drivers, but it is swapping.

We can see that many programs created for Silicon chips use less memory and are blazing fast. Too bad it's not the case for Evernote right now... 

Evernote 10 works fine on Apple Silicon powered Macs. But "fine" is not enough for such an application as to me. We run Evernote all day long, we need fast access to our content, responsive UI, and, let's say, satisfaction from the application. Usually, it is part of our productivity flows, and right now, it does not feel productive.

I use a few other applications built on top of Electron (like Visual Studio Code, GitHub Desktop), and they work/perform much better (and already provide native Apple Silicon support).

I want to believe that Evernote is working on it. Count me in for any betas you have.

• Like 5

I'm not installing EN until it is native to Apple Silicon (not planning on using Rosetta as I read about increasing memory swapping and all that), I read here that in the mean time we can use the EN iOS version, anyone knows how I can install the iOS version? As I cannot find it in the App Store under iPad / iPhone apps

Evernote still crashes contanstly on a daily (2-5times a day) basis on my M1 mac.

There are some other companies that are not able to provide an ARM app like dropbox. Do you know what happened there? In the community forum a lot of people wrote that they canceled the subscription. Guess what will be the next steps for me if evernote cann not provide an M1 app that does't use so much ressources and that doesn't crash on a daily base? correct guess, I will cancel my subscription.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BlaBlaxyz said:

Evernote still crashes contanstly on a daily (2-5times a day) basis on my M1 mac.

There are some other companies that are not able to provide an ARM app like dropbox. Do you know what happened there? In the community forum a lot of people wrote that they canceled the subscription. Guess what will be the next steps for me if evernote cann not provide an M1 app that does't use so much ressources and that doesn't crash on a daily base? correct guess, I will cancel my subscription.

Don't blame you. To be honest the app doesn't run much better on Intel, i've seen the same bugs on both. A lot of the time I get totally blank notes and I have to close and reopen it.

Lot's more M1 Macs out now, and more Apple Silicon on the way and still Evernote and Dropbox can't get their act together.

I don't remeber to have so many crashes on my Intel mac - but yes, I had some crashes 1-2 times a week. Now they are on my M1 on a daily base. In this case it is even worse, if this bugs are on both platforms like this.

I was starting to write a bug report to complain about the lack of a Native or Universal version of Evernote on Apple M1, but it seems like the latest Evernote release is performing much better -- even through it's still an Intel bundle. Previously (just minutes ago), I was ranting about how horrible the app is, but it actually is getting back to usable...

10.15.6-mac-ddl-public (2680)
Editor: v125.1.16140
Service: v1.36.3

I still find it a bit sluggish, but at least it's slightly improved. If only they would have a Universal or Silicon release... 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jparsons said:

I was starting to write a bug report to complain about the lack of a Native or Universal version of Evernote on Apple M1, but it seems like the latest Evernote release is performing much better -- even through it's still an Intel bundle. Previously (just minutes ago), I was ranting about how horrible the app is, but it actually is getting back to usable...

10.15.6-mac-ddl-public (2680)

I still find it a bit sluggish, but at least it's slightly improved. If only they would have a Universal or Silicon release... 

I have tested it and it's the same for me, still slow and still unusable compared to Evernote Legacy ...

I'm still looking for a replacement for Evernote but it's not easy .. It was the best note tool, it still is the best note tool with Evernote Legacy, I still love it and I just hope improvement with M1 version may make it more usable .. 

• Level 5
On 6/10/2021 at 11:54 PM, Fred V. said:

I have tested it and it's the same for me, still slow and still unusable...

I'm using EN on an M1 Macbook Air many times each day, without a noticeable problem with speed, and similar to EN on a 2017 iMac.

Perhaps you could describe your workflow in more detail? How long has your app+database been installed?

Have you approached tech support? It's important to separate out specific issues with one's installation/workflow versus inherent limitations in the software/platform.

[EN 10.15.6, OSX 11.2.3

35,000 notes—largely PDF files; 17 GB EN database ]

2 hours ago, Peter Olins said:

I'm using EN on an M1 Macbook Air many times each day, without a noticeable problem with speed, and similar to EN on a 2017 iMac.

Perhaps you could describe your workflow in more detail? How long has your app+database been installed?

Have you approached tech support? It's important to separate out specific issues with one's installation/workflow versus inherent limitations in the software/platform.

[EN 10.15.6, OSX 11.2.3

35,000 notes—largely PDF files; 17 GB EN database ]

Hello,

I've been working with Evernote for more than 10 years, I have 12000 notes with many screenshots and gif videos.

I use it for everything and i love Evernote. I'm making notes about games, movies or almost anything, with picture screenshots and small videos made with gif.

When I have an old Evernote Legacy, I can easily switch between notes, add data, modify, sync, everything is really quick and nice and synced on the web or on the Windows version I have. That's great. Using 1GB memory for an application opened during several days on my laptop.

With the newest Evernote, I can open it and navigate in my notes, that's ok. Slower but ok. But after 1 hour of usage it uses 2GB of RAM and it keeps on eating memory. I can't choose the same fonts as before, I can't format exactly like before. I can't believe a working application was transformed that way and that 6 months after the release of M1 chips, Evernote is still one of the very rare remaining application without any support that could make it better.

The support has already helped me adding a feature for animated gif and I'm happy about that but they can't help making Silicon version of their bad framework...

Don't think I don't like Evernote, I love it, that's why I'm still using it and I would love to see it working as before. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As far as I can see, none of the Mac electron apps are running native on M1. The big two being Evernote and Spotify. Many people are not fans of Electron based apps anyway. Effectively it’s like running an entire version of Chrome for one app. The massive file sizes and ram hogging comes with it.

Even running on Intel Mac id have notes all go blank and require a relaunch. Same bug on M1 as well as force relaunches. The one thing the Electron based app gives us is smooth scrolling on notes with lots of images, like the web based version, the legacy app was woeful for that.

Their grand vision for unifying apps hasn’t really worked though. Having an app that doesn’t compile in Xcode anymore means you can just recompile for Apple Silicon. Whilst electron have updated to v11 with AS support there must be a lot of changes in the code as none of the big apps have updated to the framework.

On 6/16/2021 at 6:05 PM, Daniel Shepherd said:

As far as I can see, none of the Mac electron apps are running native on M1. The big two being Evernote and Spotify.

It's true that several big-name Electron-based apps are not yet M1-native, but several are. To name just a few:

• Typora
  • Slack
  • VS Code
  • Github Desktop
  • Wordpress Desktop

So clearly it's possible to do, but Evernote doesn't particularly stand out as a laggard just yet. Hopefully more apps (including Evernote and other Electron-based apps) get optimized soon.

• Thanks 1
On 1/20/2021 at 3:19 AM, Peter Olins said:

Bottom line, I'm not convinced that the slower performance of EN 10.6.9 versus Legacy is a consequence of insufficient RAM.

My M1 MacBook Air 8GB ram is almost always in the yellow zone.  I have to always manually close the application to get it back to green.  There are times the spinning wheel will come out that some apps just hanged!  The only way out is to close some apps to release memory.

One of the app that I need to close is Evernote to get the system back to normal.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

As the linked article says, there are limits to the memory concept. When closing EN, make sure to quit (cmd-q), not only close it.

Since it is designed as a “browser” with an embedded app, closing only removes the app, leaving the browser running and consuming resources.

On 6/22/2021 at 3:24 AM, Paul A. said:

It's true that several big-name Electron-based apps are not yet M1-native, but several are. To name just a few:

• Typora
  • Slack
  • VS Code
  • Github Desktop
  • Wordpress Desktop

So clearly it's possible to do, but Evernote doesn't particularly stand out as a laggard just yet. Hopefully more apps (including Evernote and other Electron-based apps) get optimized soon.

Well Spotify have done it now - so over to you Evernote... the last remaining Intel app i'm running (oh and Dropbox)

• Like 1

I have tried Spotify Beta and it's really nice. Quick to open, far less memory usage.

So yes, it's possible now and I can't believe that Evernote, telling us that the new architecture will give us many improvements, is not able to upgrade Electron and let users have a good version 10. It may be the step that could help old users to be happy using the new version.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

AFAIK they need to update the underlying framework. It is functioning as it is, on M1s with Rosetta as on other computers without, so why bother ALL users just to please a few.

I‘m pretty sure they will release an upgrade of the framework when it is safe and tested.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

AFAIK they need to update the underlying framework. It is functioning as it is, on M1s with Rosetta as on other computers without, so why bother ALL users just to please a few.

I‘m pretty sure they will release an upgrade of the framework when it is safe and tested.

Because Apple moving to a new architecture is a massive thing. It's bigger than updating to support the latest macOS updates which they manage to do. Further more it's not even them that need to do the work - the framework was updated months ago by the guys who program Electron. 

Just about all other apps, including electron apps have been updated for AS - there are now 4 models and counting and by the end of the year there will be more. If you're going to charge for a premium service you have to be prepared to make the premium apps or people will go elsewhere. It's bad enough that the native app across systems is just an Electron app which is a big step down from a proper native app. Whilst they argued it was for feature parity (which is a good reason) it's not great if that feature parity efficiency is a downgrade on the native app available before (and I personally think some things work better in Electron, like scrolling large pictures in a note is much smoother and was awful on the native app)

It wouldn't bother other users at all - that's like saying "there's a big which breaks things for 5% of our user base, why bother fixing it when 95% aren't affected".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

What covers the OS updates is the framework, not the app. That is why EN probably have chosen this approach, to rid themselves of updating the core apps code  when the OS updates.

This framework updates work for all users, except when a new CPU architecture is not covered by the framework currently used. This is obviously the case for the M1.

Everybody currently on an M1 have a fully functional EN v10 client, through Rosetta. This is not even a bug, it is in sync with the official Apple strategy. Apple says there is a transition period of several years - and this is where we are now.

I appreciate that EN is NOT forcing another update on ALL users just to make a few users happy. I appreciate that they focus their development capacity on solving GENERAL  problems with v10, instead of dedicating engineering hours to „solve“ a not existing problem for a few.

IMHO for all users this is the better strategy, even if  M1 users have to wait a little.

19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

What covers the OS updates is the framework, not the app. That is why EN probably have chosen this approach, to rid themselves of updating the core apps code  when the OS updates.

This framework updates work for all users, except when a new CPU architecture is not covered by the framework currently used. This is obviously the case for the M1.

Everybody currently on an M1 have a fully functional EN v10 client, through Rosetta. This is not even a bug, it is in sync with the official Apple strategy. Apple says there is a transition period of several years - and this is where we are now.

I appreciate that EN is NOT forcing another update on ALL users just to make a few users happy. I appreciate that they focus their development capacity on solving GENERAL  problems with v10, instead of dedicating engineering hours to „solve“ a not existing problem for a few.

IMHO for all users this is the better strategy, even if  M1 users have to wait a little.

Absolute bizarre argument to make. 

What this comes off as "well this doesn't affect me so i'm glad they're not using developers time to address it". Hopefully in the future you won't have to deal with something that drastically degrades the performance of your entire system and runs like absolute ***** whilst someone else tells it "yeah well it's fine for me so i'm glad they're not looking at that"

As you've pointed out, they don't even have to do the work - the Electron developers do the low level coding. Evernote 10 is nothing more than a glorified web app running in Chrome. Electron have updated the Chrome part which is why other developers have updated. If you don't have have an ARM processor the update won't affect you in any way - a bump to the framework version won't affect you - to say its "forcing another update on all users" is bizarre. 

• Like 2

I’ve read through this and honestly it’s frustrating. Apologies if this is harsh but it reads as if - the top one percent who spend excessive amounts on laptops are irate that ONE piece of tech doesn’t orbit around their overpriced device (I am an Apple user but there’s no denying they are overpriced for laptops). 

Many have pointed out, fairly in my view that there are many issues, that affect everyone that need to be resolved. That seems to only bring indignation because it’s not the M1. It’s a real struggle to have any sympathy with this mentality. 

1 minute ago, WilliamL said:

I’ve read through this and honestly it’s frustrating. Apologies if this is harsh but it reads as if - the top one percent who spend excessive amounts on laptops are irate that ONE piece of tech doesn’t orbit around their overpriced device (I am an Apple user but there’s no denying they are overpriced for laptops). 

Many have pointed out, fairly in my view that there are many issues, that affect everyone that need to be resolved. That seems to only bring indignation because it’s not the M1. It’s a real struggle to have any sympathy with this mentality. 

The M1's are some of the cheapest systems Apple has ever made - and it's across desktop, all in one and laptop devices. You can buy a Mac mini for £600 which has more power and performance than anything you could possibly get close to with PC parts for that price - i've no idea how you think this is "excessive amounts" - you sound bitter and a bit daft. 

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

Still sounds to me as the gadget version of „my car, my house, my boat“.

Just to set this clear: I am absolutely not opposed to update the framework version as it seems necessary to support the ARM chips.

What I think fair is to set priorities to allocate developers resources. As long as there are significant features missing for all users (printing …), and some serious bug fixing going on (Android …), I suppose the dev team is fully occupied.

Roll out a new version of the framework (which only works for all users) is ok - developed in due time, tested and proved.

• Like 1

It's a head scratcher to be using an M1 compatible version of Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop but not Evernote.   As a workaround, I'm using a PWA version of Evernote which runs quite nicely.   Hopefully Evernote will step up on this and if there's a beta, happy to test. 

• Level 5

I have the same database installed on a 3-year old Intel imac and a brand new M1 macbook air. After several trials I cannot detect any difference in performance (except that the imac app initially loads more slowly). Personally, I'm much more interested in getting any remaining bugs ironed out and the user experience polished, rather than the distraction of a re-build—which will undoubtedly have its own new set of bugs.

Please be more specific about what you are doing and what is happening, otherwise threads like this are of minimal value.

• Like 2

The odd thing, no news, no dates, nothing from the Evernote team. 

I've addressed the question to the support team and predictably got the gentle "buzz off" answer.

Hate that style of communication.

I would like to express my appreciation for your time, and patronage of our services since 2010.

I understand that you would like to know the plan for compatibility of Evernote for your Mac device. It is my understanding that your subscription is expiring, and it would be great to have reasons to stay. I want you to know that we truly appreciate the 11 years you’ve spent using Evernote, investing your time and content with us.

Please know that we do not have access to the roadmap of our developers regarding this matter. You can check the current operating system that supports Evernote in this article: Operating system requirements for Evernote

The best place to make your voice heard is on our Evernote User Forum, where you and other users can join in the discussion, suggest new feature ideas, and vote for them.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further concerns, and I'll be more than willing to assist.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN only rarely comments on what is under development - no really different to other software & services companies.

You can read the „next“ section of the release notes, try to join the beta program - or just relax and let things happen.

To meet the M1, AFAIK the underlying framework needs to be updated. That they avoid this while firefighting and releasing to get feature parity with legacy IMHO is understandable. I would not like to get a rushed update of the framework, just to see new bugs pop up due to missing QA.

Patience is a virtue …

• Like 1
On 11/25/2020 at 1:52 AM, PinkElephant said:

With the request that everything must work natively on an M1 from day 1 - do you REALLY think that this must be at the top of the backlog down at EN engineering ?

When companies use this excuse as a cop out and act all alarmed and surprised at the new releases, I just look at the developer accounts and forums and see developers getting their hands on the gear and OS versions long before the release date. 
So in answer to your question do you think apps should run natively the day the new OS or updated hardware/silicon is delivered to the consumer? ABSOLUTELY 

• Level 5

One have to keep in mind that EN started working on the new app appr. 18 month before release (this was communicated, maybe even earlier). V10 is a 100% replacement of the prior client code base, not one of the usual partial updates.

The M1s launched at roughly the same time as EN released v10. First the underlying framework needed to be updated by the developers of the framework, so for most of that lead period there was no M1 compatible framework to test the new EN client.

Personally I appreciate (with all of the initial deficiencies of v10) that EN decided to focus on the client development for all users, instead of forcing a swap of the framework - which at the moment is only mildly relevant for a small group of M1 users.

You may not feel happy with it - but believe it or not, the world is not turning around the M1, the golden calve of our days. You can use the EN client using the official Apple transition strategy via Rosetta, and that is it.

Disclaimer: My very personal opinion, as an EN and Mac user.

Hello Evernote developers

Premium subscriber here and happy owner of a new MacBook Pro M1.

Not usually one to post on forums, I guess I'm one of the silent majority!

You would need to optimise your app for my machine before too long, or I will head to pastures new! It's a bit sluggish, especially launching.

I haven't looked, but it would seem that a notes app isn't rocket science and there should be M1-optimized alternatives especially as my demands are for something quite simple. On that note, I've found the whole thing getting a bit bloated in recent years, the Home Screen, having to choose Note or Task when creating a new one, that sort of thing. Then you look at the launch time, esp under rosetta, and one wonder's whether it's still for me?

At least give me a rough timescale on M1? Pretty much all my frequently-used apps are now M1 optimised. I think Evernote and GitKraken the current exceptions.

If the codebase for most of the application logic is now cross platform, post EN10 and they already provide an iOS version which runs on the iPad pro which is now based on the same M1 processor as the Macbook Air, iMacs and Macbook Pro's,  it seems like Evernote should be able to recompile for M1 without too much of a hassle.

• Level 5

The mobile app runs in a different framework than the desktop version. And I would not like to get the restrictions of the iOS app on the desktop. I don’t think it is declared „universal“, which would be necessary to allow installing on a Mac.

EN needs to lift the electron framework version used on desktops to one supporting the M1.

• Like 1

Everyone requesting M1 support should probably email the support team to let them document your request. One of the things we pay for is continued development to ensure the app performs well on newer hardware. EN10 is a resource hog and battery drain on M1. If your experience is the same, surely that's worth a support ticket...

• Like 4
  • Level 5

Well, they launched based on the old framework version approximately at the same time when the M1 Macs were first delivered. They had developed the new app based on that old version. I think they first want to run their feature race and fix the bugs in a stable environment.

I am pretty sure they will upgrade the framework, let alone because they will need other features from the newer version as well. But it can only be done for all users at once - so I hope they run a very solid QA on it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Ovine What exactly is your performance issue? For me, searching a large database on my M1, works fast; just like on my Intel mac.

I don't see any problems with launch; in fact it's much faster than on my Intel machine. I do recall that after a fresh installation of EN it can take a long time (hours) to build a local database (mine is ~20GB)—but this is equally true for a fresh installation on an Intel machine. For me, launch speed on M1 was fine once the database had been created.

On the other hand, the very heavy memory drain, even when the app is inactive, is a concern. I suspect that sluggish performance for some users might a consequence of running low on memory with many open apps.

• Like 1

Like many others, I have Evernote running on Rosetta under M1 Silicon on a new MacBook Pro. Not only is it slow...but it is sucking battery. A lot of battery. So much so that shutting the app down when I am not using it is saving me tons of battery loss on a brand new machine. It may be Evernote, it may be Rosetta....I don't know, but at this point I am seriously considering just moving over to Apple Notes. I am kind of surprised that Evernote does not have an official timeline for this or the fact that in messaging Evernote about the battery drain, I never received a reply back. Anyone else having this issue?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This is a folder structure in Finder - good enough for many uses.

But difficult to move into another note taking app, including stuff like tags. ENEX reproduces the note, down to formatting, tagging and attachments. If the EN export for a complete notebook is used, you get a number of files, each representing a notebook.

It is easy (with a lot of notes apps trying to win customers over) to import these and restore a full EN setup this way.

I find that a folder structure in Finder is pretty good as an exchange format. I am not opposed to enex per se, but this tool actually does preserve note formatting and attachments –just in markdown format and with embedded links to attachments. I haven' tested how Exporter handles export of tags from Apple Notes nor how the new Apple Notes imports Evernote tags, as I haven't upgraded to Mojave/iOS15 with tag support yet, but I am guessing those would be equally preserved, as tags seem to be placed within the note text, not in file metadata (which would make them readable in competing apps like Bear or Joplin).

To get back to the topic, I hope native M1 support – when they get to it some time in the future – will reduce the sometimes molasses slow moments in Evernote, as I really prefer to stay in the well-known environment of Evernote for my work notes.

Edited by tokeriis
clarification

Tonight I retired a 2018 Intel i5 MacBook Pro, replacing it with a 2021 M1 Pro MacBook Pro. A large driver for the purchase was the hope of improved EN performance. I should have checked here before I made the plunge, but now I am here. The EN database is downloading and likely will continue downloading for the next several days. It is disappointing to learn that EN still is not native to the new MacBook architecture. By new I mean more than a year old.

• Like 2