Issues with modifying tags/filtering tags

Go to solution Solved by Austin G,

1. Created a single tag via Windows build
  2. Attached tag to one note via drag-and-drop to the Notebook overview pane.
  3. Selected the tag from the sidebar but it failed to filter the notes to show the tagged note.

Screenshots :

Screen 1 -One note tagged with 'copy' (the only tag created):
Evernote_fBb3NDaRqa.png.946b9c61e51f8e021bc02e3d25ce99e7.png

Screen 2 - Selecting 'copy' from Sidebar->Tags->'copy' gave:
Evernote_PPwe4JItAu.png.f7eea5e729d557a7db44c5dfc5bb53e5.png

Build info:
Evernote_cXNL3PsYCO.png.d7a902eacaf55ccae4a994d8ba08364d.png

Heading to the website to report this forced a log-out and log-in. Upon logging-in I looked at the browser interface via Firefox and the problem was not apparent - the copy' tag was filtering correctly when selected. Switching back to the PC program on my desktop (which was still running), the 'copy' tag was also now working correctly and filtering the note I'd attached it to.

I didn't notice any interruption in my network connectivity between seeing the issue in the Windows build and heading to the site to report it (I may be mistaken).

Not sure does anyone have the same problem.

I am using Windows version 10.4.4, I made changes to the tags (rename, move, or delete), the changes will not be shown in the Windows app, but when login to web client, the changes made to the tags will correctly show.

Currently what troubles me is that, there are few tags I deleted when 10.4.3, but it still remains whenever I opened Windows app as I mainly using Windows app instead of Web client, would like to know is there any solution to solve this?

Thank you

All search is now done on the server and not locally. This means there is a time delay from a few seconds to a few minutes between adding a tag to a note and that note being found by searching for or filtering by the tag. However I would have expected to see a number next to the tag showing the number of notes which the tag is allocated to, but that seems to be missing from your screenshot.

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

All search is now done on the server and not locally. This means there is a time delay from a few seconds to a few minutes between adding a tag to a note and that note being found by searching for or filtering by the tag. However I would have expected to see a number next to the tag showing the number of notes which the tag is allocated to, but that seems to be missing from your screenshot.

Its more minutes than seconds. Once I had 30 minutes. Really not happy about it. It should be instantaneously. 

1 hour ago, NikM said:

Its more minutes than seconds. Once I had 30 minutes. Really not happy about it. It should be instantaneously. 

Completely agree. It is very variable. It does seem to be generally quicker than it was in the early days of the preview and beta stages but like you I think that desktop software should be instantaneous.

• Shane D. changed the title to Issues with modifying tags/filtering tags
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think the developers originally understood that people use tags dynamically. ie it's not just to find a note in 6 months time but it's also to identify notes for action, review etc now. I hope that if they do undestand this now the new search architecture will allow a much fastrt search and that this is not a fundamental issue. I take some comfort from @Shane D.'s comments above so we will have to wait and see.

• Like 2

Same thing happening here. Currently on a process of assigning tags to notes. When checking the tag list a given tag has, for example, 5 notes but then upon selecting the tag not all notes appear. Spent some time trying to solve this only to find out it is an issue from Evernote :(

The Evernote servers seem to be having a particularly bad day. I added a tag to a note at around the time of my last post to this thread, 7 hours ago, and the note is still not listed when I search for that tag in either the Windows V10 or web versions. This is completely unacceptable. My impression is that the average time to index a change in a note has come down since the early preview and beta stages but there is still far too much variation.

• Like 1

Add me to the list of people who:

• Use tags dynamically
  • Rely on tag filtering to be FAST
  • Are shocked that search would be offloaded to the server. Does this mean I can't filter by tag if I'm offline?

So, yeah, PLEASE address this.

Thanks,

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees
  • Solution

Thanks for your feedback and patience while we work on addressing this. Improvements to search are scheduled to be in the 10.6 release. Please let us know if search results are taking > 2 seconds to show recent changes to the notes after version 10.6 is released. Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...

I continue to experience this problem with 10.7.6. It's critical enough that it prompted me to find another solution for a portion of how I use Evernote.

I hate to see Evernote's utility decrease, but there it is.

I turned it into a lesson and wrote it up for my audience: How You Recover When Good Apps Go Bad - Ask Leo!

Leo A. Notenboom
----------------
https://askleo.com/about - Ask Leo!
http://leonotenboom.com - Everything else

On 12/15/2020 at 9:10 PM, Austin G said:

Thanks for your feedback and patience while we work on addressing this. Improvements to search are scheduled to be in the 10.6 release. Please let us know if search results are taking > 2 seconds to show recent changes to the notes after version 10.6 is released. Thanks! 

Austin, see my post above, issue still persists one web and mobile for me. 

Is there a functionality downgrade on Evernote agenda? I just starting to use the app, so i would like to know if downgrade is the intention 

• Ex Employees
On 2/7/2021 at 11:48 AM, Darius Vansevicius said:

Austin, see my post above, issue still persists one web and mobile for me. 

Is there a functionality downgrade on Evernote agenda? I just starting to use the app, so i would like to know if downgrade is the intention 

Thanks for the report. First, please download and install the latest update of Evernote from https://evernote.com/download//

After creating the tag, how long do you wait before clicking the tag from the left panel? If you click the  test tag again  now, do the notes now appear in the search results? 

• 1 month later...

Using the Evernote Web Client, I created a note, tagged it with "Restaurant", went to my "Tags" in the left-column, the "Restaurant" tag correctly shows one matching note, but clicking on the Tag results in "No notes found."  Same result of searching for "tag:Restaurant" or explicitly filtering on the "Restaurant" tag.

image.thumb.png.5f27e3cc66fda9085fa4fa2acaaaa578.png

image.png.f8749408f65fb731724b7a39022be896.png

image.png.9ac794db8d32cb43c6271f4cca3cb2d9.png

• Sad 1

Having the same issue. Clicking on any tag in my list on the left panel returns "no notes found" or it searches for several minutes and returns the same "no notes found" result. These are tags I've had linked to multiple notes for several years, so I know that is not the case nor were they recently created.

The quick return of accurate information under this function is fundamental to Evernote's utility. Please fix!

Running v10.9.10 on Windows 10.

On 3/17/2021 at 1:38 PM, kgrob said:

Having the same issue. Clicking on any tag in my list on the left panel returns "no notes found" or it searches for several minutes and returns the same "no notes found" result. These are tags I've had linked to multiple notes for several years, so I know that is not the case nor were they recently created.

The quick return of accurate information under this function is fundamental to Evernote's utility. Please fix!

Running v10.9.10 on Windows 10.

I am having the same issues. The tag functionality is one of the main reasons I use evernote, without this functionality I have no use for it. when will this get fixed?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We had reports in the forum that a „fresh“ tag may not show in search for a little while. There may be a background indexing taking place, that needs some time to run. So for a valid test probably wait some time (an hour or so, no idea how often this runs).

For me tag-based search is working, including features from the advanced search syntax.

6 hours ago, Mike P said:

@kgrob  and @astauffer

This is no longer an issue for me although in the past there have been real problems with tag searches. I would check on the web version to see if your problem is replicated there. 

Tag search works fine on my phone, Ipad, and web, but not on Windows application. This may be okay for some users, but I'm looking for the functionality to exist across platforms as it always has :(

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

We had reports in the forum that a „fresh“ tag may not show in search for a little while. There may be a background indexing taking place, that needs some time to run. So for a valid test probably wait some time (an hour or so, no idea how often this runs).

For me tag-based search is working, including features from the advanced search syntax.

By "fresh" do you mean "new" tag? My issue isn't with new tags - it's with tags (and notes I've had under those tags) for years. Still not returning any notes results on Windows application.  

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, kgrob said:

This may be okay for some users, but I'm looking for the functionality to exist across platforms as it always has :(

Definitely. I suspect that the other platforms you mention don't synchronise and that may be the cause. In my experience tagging a new note is pretty much instantly reflected in a filter but takes longer for a search. Old notes may depend on whether it has all synced in the background which seems a bit variable to say the least.

• Like 1

mrothmay, 

I am having the same problem in Win 10 and at the moment it is a deal breaker for me. Searching by tag is my most frequent search. 

I have noted that if I delete the original tag from a note and reapply the tag then it persists and this modified note will show in a tag search. But there's no way I'm going to retag 17,536 notes. 😵

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Powerfab said:

mrothmay, 

I am having the same problem in Win 10 and at the moment it is a deal breaker for me. Searching by tag is my most frequent search. 

I have noted that if I delete the original tag from a note and reapply the tag then it persists and this modified note will show in a tag search. But there's no way I'm going to retag 17,536 notes. 😵

Same here - defeats the purpose of the application!

@kgrob @Powerfab @mrothmay

I completely agree. Tag searching/filtering is critical to the way I use EN too. There have been issues in the past about the time taken between tagging a note and that note being able to be found by that tag. Your issues seem to be more about existing notes not being found in the Windows app even though they can be found in the web app. That points to a synchronisation problem to me.

When you are offline you can filter but not search. That suggests that filtering is happening on the local data base (at least when you are offline) but searching is happening on the server. That also explains why you can find a newly tagged note pretty much straight after it has been tagged by filtering but it takes a while for it to be indexed on the server for search. It would therefore be interesting to know whether you can find all your notes by searching (tag:mytag) when simply filtering fails.

The way EN syncs, since the demise of the manual sync button, is a black art. I recently spent some time offline and all my recent notes were accessible but attachments/images for older notes were not although I could read the text of the note. I have been using V10 in preview, beta and GA forms for over a year. You can get a feeling as to whether synchronisation is still happening by monitoring the size/number of the files on your hard disk. Go to:

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote

Make a note of the size etc and come back later to see if it has changed significantly.

621718047_ScreenShot03-08-21at12_03PM.PNG.2c39ed11aedbd1f1ee5c06f30c5ccbbb.PNG

I have been wondering about clearing my database and forcing it to download again to see if that will solve my offline attachments problem. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500004231762 but I'm not ure I would try that in your situations. Fortunately I don't currently have any issues with finding notes by tag - ie I get the number of notes returned that are supposed to be associated with that tag and legacy and the web gives the same results.

@Mike P 

I've a theory that the issue is arising because I'm running both V10 and Legacy. I think there's a database hook fault somewhere. 

You're probably on the mark, clearing the database and forcing a new download may solve it, but I'm not really in a position to afford the time to do this at present. 

16 minutes ago, Powerfab said:

I've a theory that the issue is arising because I'm running both V10 and Legacy. I think there's a database hook fault somewhere. 

You might be right but they have completely separate local databases.

I took the plunge and deleted my local data base and am now watching it slowly increase in size again. However within seconds of logging in I was getting all the expected  search results with no problems at all (not that I had any beforehand). Obviously if I went offline now I would not have most of my data. It seems to download as you use notes with some background downloading as well. My problem the other day was that I hadn't used my "What to do when your broadband fails" note recently as thankfully it is a rare occurence!

11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The Version 10 local database is optional; and only used for offline access    

You might well be right. I find the difference in time taken between tagging a note and being able to search for it compared with tagging a note and being able to filter for it confusing. Maybe both things happen on the server if it is available. However you can filter when you are offline and you can't search so there obviously is the facility to filter locally. I'm taking all this and the near instantaneous performance of filtering as evidence that filtering always happens locally but I could be completely wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same issue. I rely on Tags to keep me organized, and I need them to work as soon as I apply them to a note.

I created several new tags this morning and applied them to notes that are particularly dynamic right now. It took about an hour for the search function to work for the new tags on my iPhone; in the Windows Browser version, it's at least 90 minutes and counting with no results showing. The tags list show how many notes have the tag attached, correctly; but when I click on the tag, or on a shortcut associated with a new tag, I get "No Notes Found."

This is unacceptable. I'm paying for this software, and I expect it to work. Evernote is great, but it's not the ONLY great notes application out there.

• Like 1
On 4/7/2021 at 3:19 PM, rgoffeney said:

Having the same issue. I rely on Tags to keep me organized, and I need them to work as soon as I apply them to a note.

Evernote was having major problems with indexing notes on Wednesday. This is thankfully a fairly rare ocuurence these days. It should be working properly now.