[Fixed in Version 10.10] Evernote won't run in "S" Mode

Wayne Robinson

Idea

Been using Evernote for 7 years.  Bought a new PC that runs in Windows 10 "S" Mode, so have to load an additional instance of Evernote for the Microsoft Store.

When I do & try to run it, get message "Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote".  I retry with no success.

I even loaded it directly from the Evernote site & same thing, it just doesn't work.

Seems to be version 10.4.4.0.

Sent a trouble request to Evernote, but they said 2 weeks to respond!  Argg! 

Any suggestions? Thanks!

14 replies to this idea

Just now, gazumped said:

Not familiar with W10 "S"

The "S" stands for "Stupid". (at least that's how we described it when testing on it)

Ok, it's really (from the ms webpage) "Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing."

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Got it.  I am seriously underwhelmed at an even more locked down than usual Windows....  Was going to suggest installing the Evernote.com app (v6 or 10) but I guess the Store only have the one flavour anyway. 

Still confused by the "additional instance" though...

• Evernote Expert
50 minutes ago, normbond said:

Hey Evernote,

So this is still happening. on Dec 13. Wndows 10 laptop and Evenote version10.4.4-2096

What gives?

@normbond are you using Windows S mode? If so, the answer seems to be that it doesn't support Evernote 10 and given that it requires applications from the M'soft store it means you cannot load the new version.  If you're not using S mode then I guess you have a different issue to the one the OP raised.

On 11/30/2020 at 12:49 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Not familiar with W10 "S" or why you need an additional instance of Evernote.  Can you give a little more background?

What I meant by “an additional instance of Evernote” was that I needed to load the Evernote app on an additional PC.

What I meant by “an additional instance of Evernote“ was that I needed to load the Evernote app on an additional PC.

Just using the web version of Evernote On a PC does not give you all the function that you have when you actually have the Evernote app on that PC.

On a PC does not give you all the function that you have when you actually have the Evernote app on that PC.

Hope that makes sense?

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

@Wayne Robinson - thanks for clarifying;  did any of the other comments in the last 2 months help out?

No. I don’t want to take my new laptop out of S mode as there should be an advantage to leaving it there, Evernote just does not work in S mode plain and simple.

I don’t know if Microsoft or Evernote is to blame but it is pathetic. I have raise this problem to both of them and neither one of them could give a *****. 

• Level 5

When you decide to cripple the abilities of your computer to make it „safer“ (whatever this means), you should IMHO not complain.

Quotes about S mode:

To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing.

However, the switch from S mode is a onetime switch and can only be undone by a wipe and reload of the OS.

What exactly do you expect from EN - crack that sort of OS-side lock-up of the whole system ? If you decide to run with it, you may have reasons to do so, and you should be the last person asking to circumvent it. As I see it, it is the web client running on Edge, and that is it.

Personally I am setting up my computers to run on a standard user account most of the time. I only log into the admin account when I need to install something, or update the OS. EN does not complain to run in a standard user account with non-admin rights. Malware would need a privilege escalation to perform something critical, after passing my firewalls and the antivirus. May happen, but not very likely.

• Level 5*

The Microsoft Store page doesn't give a version number but an old release date suggests this is still a copy of the 'old' Evernote version. 

If you're willing to try again you could uninstall the version you currently have and restart your PC,  then reinstall from the MS Store and use Edge.  If the MS version has an 'options' setting you can (and should!) turn off checking for updates.  Alternatively you should be able to use your account by signing in to Evernote.com and using a working browser,  but that's the best we can suggest.

Microsoft won't want to amend their security settings,  and Evernote probably won't investigate how to install their new app on that system because it would be expensive to make any changes that won't benefit a significant number of their users.