Copying tags from old notes to new

• 9 months later...

This is another feature which was lost in the new Evernote.  I do not understand the logic of upgrading Evernote and losing features like the ability to copy all tags, or the ability to change a "created" date or "updated" date by using the keyboard.

On 11/30/2020 at 5:04 PM, silkenpaw said:

In my previous version of evernote (with tags on top) I was able to copy tags from one note to another. Is there a way this can be done in the new version?

There is a rather painful way of doing it which is quite slow and laborious.

• Select the note you want to copy the tags from and the ones you want to copy them to (even that may not be straightforward)
  • Open the edit tags menu (eg click the tag icon in the blue multiselect menu that appears)
  • press space to open the hierarchy if needed
  • Scroll through and click all the blue minus signs (a blue minus means that the tag is associated with some but not all of the selected notes). They will change to ticks
  • Hit save

As I say, not straightforward.

It might be worth mentioning that you can easily add a comma separated list of tags to a note by simply pasting it into the tags area at the bottom of the note. Sadly I have not yet found a way of extracting a comma separated list of tags directly from a tagged note. Copying the tags from the edit tags menu is possible but gives you a list (ie separated by CR) which needs to be converted to a comma separated list.

• Thanks 2

@silkenpaw and @Candide

I have a solution that works on windows that presumably will translate to Mac.

• In the old note select all the tags by ctrl-clicking the tags at the bottom of the note.
  • Press ctrl-C to copy them to the clipboard
  • Open the new note and click into the tag area at the bottom of the note
  • ctrl-V to paste in the tags

If you paste into a text editor you will see that it is a comma separated list which ties in with my obsevation in the previous post.

• Thanks 2

Hi Mike,

That is so helpful - thanks.  Following on what you wrote, I also discovered shift-click at the beginning and end of a group of tags, then ctrl-C works too. 
So while the old way of just selecting with the mouse/trackpad is gone, that's a perfectly acceptable workaround for me.

Now if only they'd get rid of the clunky Calendar window so I can get back to using my keyboard to change a Created Date, I would be pretty happy with the new Evernote.

Cheers🌺

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Candide said:

Now if only they'd get rid of the clunky Calendar window so I can get back to using my keyboard to change a Created Date, I would be pretty happy with the new Evernote.

Completely agree - not just created dates but dates in tasks, note reminder dates and dates in the filter menu! I hadn't realised until very recently, and I still don't think it is obvious, that clicking the month or year allows you to change them indeprendently. You don't have to press the arrow icon 12 times to advance a year! i expect you'd already figured that out and I'm just being particularly slow.

image.png.3b08e3a0f891f9513057bc50967f4a35.png

• 3 months later...
On 9/10/2021 at 2:59 AM, Candide said:

Hi Mike,

That is so helpful - thanks.  Following on what you wrote, I also discovered shift-click at the beginning and end of a group of tags, then ctrl-C works too. 
So while the old way of just selecting with the mouse/trackpad is gone, that's a perfectly acceptable workaround for me.

Cheers🌺

Could someone explains how that work on windows? For me it just creates a new tag which is the list of all the tags separated by commas

On 9/8/2021 at 7:06 AM, Mike P said:

@silkenpaw and @Candide

• In the old note select all the tags by ctrl-clicking the tags at the bottom of the note.

If you paste into a text editor you will see that it is a comma separated list which ties in with my obsevation in the previous post.

2 hours ago, Alessandra said:

Could someone explains how that work on windows?

As you can see the instructions were for Windows. I've just tried them again and they still work perfectly.

• 1 month later...

In 10.31.6 on the Mac, this works, but boy, is it inconvenient. The tag display was moved to the bottom beneath the note, and it doesn't display all of them at once, so to select all of the tags, you need to control-click, control-click, scroll, control-click, scroll, ...

The "trick" of selecting multiple notes and "Edit tags..." then changing all the "-" boxes to check boxes is likewise tedious when one (as I do) has hundreds of tags defined over more than a decade of Evernote use.

16 hours ago, rdj999 said:

The tag display was moved to the bottom beneath the note, and it doesn't display all of them at once, so to select all of the tags, you need to control-click, control-click, scroll, control-click, scroll, ...

On Windows you can click the first one and then shift-click the last one to select all the tags. I'd be surprised if there was not a similar method on Mac.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

To select all but just a few, click the first one, shift-click the last one, and now ctrl-/cmd-click those you want to deselect. Or select some by clicking one first, then ctrl-/cmd-clicking the next.

Or create a duplicate of the note, then select all content, and erase it. Now you have an empty note with all the tags.

Maybe we have now covered it all.

• 7 months later...

Why is it so difficult to restore the function you had in Evernote 6 to copy tags? If I recall correctly, there was even a shortcut to speed things up.

This is how it was done in version 6:

1. Select both the note containing the tags to copy AND the note you want to copy the tags to (this can be multiple notes).

2. Bring up the Tag dialog box (Ctrl+Alt+T)

3. Make sure the "Hide unassigned tags" check box is CHECKED. You should now see JUST the tags assigned to the note you are copying from. The checkboxes are gray because they are checked for the one note, but not the other.

4. Hit Select All and then OK.

• 1 year later...
On 9/8/2021 at 7:06 AM, Mike P said:

@silkenpaw and @Candide

They got rid of this functionality now

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Alessandra said:

They got rid of this functionality now

It seems like they fixed it. You don't get the reassuring blue line around the tags but if you click the first tag, ctrl+click the last tag and then press ctrl+C it does copy a comma delimited list to the clipboard. You can then paste into a new note.

• Level 5

Click on the first (or the very last) tag. Now hold down Shift and click on the last (first) tag.

To select individual tags click on the first you want to select. Now hold down ctrl / cmd (Mac) while you click - this will select individual tags.

Once you selected the tags, press ctrl / cmd - C to copy.

Go to the target note. Click into the tags area. press ctrl / cmd - V to insert.

If you get only a single tag, you didn't select them, or you lost the selection by one click too much. Because you do the clicking practically without getting a visual feedback (at least I don't see anything with the washed out colors of the new UI), you need to do it practically on remote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Alessandra said:

Not for me. Only the last tag is copied but maybe I did not understand what you meant

Sorry I should have said:

click the first tag, shift+click the last tag and then press ctrl+C

It does seem to be unreliable though and it doesn't work everytime for me like it did in the old UI

22 hours ago, Mike P said:

Sorry I should have said:

click the first tag, shift+click the last tag and then press ctrl+C

It does seem to be unreliable though and it doesn't work everytime for me like it did in the old UI

Sorry but that does not work either