"Save PDF to Evernote" from print dialog has stopped working

I am fairly certain that the option to "Save PDF to Evernote" has worked at some point with Evernote 10, but I noticed the other day that is is not working right now. At least not on my machine. I'm wondering if someone can verify whether this is working for them or if this is a feature that has yet to be "restored" in v10.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 9.46.39 AM.png

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, robfol said:

will abandon Evernote if this is really gone!

It's not been mentioned as no longer supported,  so could be within the 'coming soon' group.  Meantime there's always Legacy.

• 2 weeks later...

I could have sworn that this had already been working in v10. When I have the Legacy Evernote and v10 app installed at the same time, Legacy seems to take over evernote:// links as well as the "Save PDF to Evernote" features. What I'm trying to figure out is if reinstalling Legacy has messed up something had had been working just fine in v10.

1 hour ago, Guy Bjerke said:

I found I had to restore it in System Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts>App Shortcuts....Save PDF to Evernote.  I set it to command-E.

I don't seem to have an option here where I can add a shortcut.

As best as I can determine, the Save PDF to Evernote option only seems to work with Evernote Legacy. If I remove the option from the PDF menu, the only way it comes back is if I launch Evernote Legacy.

3 hours ago, Guy Bjerke said:

I found I had to restore it in System Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts>App Shortcuts....Save PDF to Evernote.  I set it to command-E.

Thanks Guy, but this does nothing at all for me, just can't get Evernote back in the print/pdf menu 

Anyone from Evernote care to comment??

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, robfol said:

Thanks Guy, but this does nothing at all for me, just can't get Evernote back in the print/pdf menu 

Hi.  It's historically unlikely that Evernote will respond to an individual query here. Try raising a Support ticket for that level of personal service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, robfol said:

If my experience is any indication, you'll need to install Evernote Legacy; that seemed to restore the "Save PDF to Evernote" option to the print PDF menu as shown in my original screen shot. As best as I can discern, that feature only seems to work with Evernote Legacy for now.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, Wilburguy said:

I was all set to email support about this but there is apparently a 10 DAY WAIT FOR A REPLY? What is the point....

Yet another broken feature that keeps me living in the legacy version of Evernote.

Sympathies,  but there are few others out there who have raised their issue and received a ticket number.  They're in a queue and will get support as soon as the guys who are currently freezing their assets off in Texas USA (no power) can warm up something to talk with...

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Sympathies,  but there are few others out there who have raised their issue and received a ticket number.  They're in a queue and will get support as soon as the guys who are currently freezing their assets off in Texas USA (no power) can warm up something to talk with...

Glad the issue has already been officially reported!

Are the Evernote folks in Texas? Oh man....I feel so bad for them. Here in central NY we're like "whatever, maybe I need a coat today....."

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, Wilburguy said:

Here in central NY we're like "whatever, maybe I need a coat today....."

I'm in the UK and it's cold,  wet and we have flood warnings... but the pictures from the US are downright scary.  I think we're both pretty lucky to still have easy access to power!

• Level 5

Was in contact with support recently. They confirmed at least part of them is located in Texas, and are severely hit by the rolling grid shutdown used to keep the electrical grid running.

Since a queue will build while they sit in the dark, they probably communicate a conservative respond time at the moment.

Well, maybe we should switch to a software company from a first world country next time ... I like stuff coming from Bangalore, for example.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5

Solution:  email to your private EN email address, e.g. using the "Share" feature.

Optionally, edit subject line as follows,

Subject:      THE NOTE TITLE HERE@NOTEBOOKNAME#TAGNAME1#TAG2#TAG3

For simplicity I created a Contact called "Email to Evernote" with my EN-specific address. This shows up as one of the default options in the Share Menu.

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 7.41.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 7.48.08 AM.png

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5

There seem to be several issues with v10 on the Mac that can be improved / resettled by simply quitting EN, and restarting the Mac.

Maybe you remember if you did a restart - that could explain why a missing option suddenly returned.

• Like 1

I was trying to print an email (from apple mail app on Mac) to Evernote.  I restarted mail - no difference with the specific email.  I restarted Evernote - no difference with the specific mail.  Then I restarted the computer - still could not print out that specific mail to Evernote.  What I then did was forward the mail to Evernote (which did work), wrote my first message above, and then tried to print a DIFFERENT email to Evernote - and that worked.

• Level 5
11 hours ago, David Bent said:

still could not print out that specific mail to Evernote.

You can create a new print workflow by editing the PDF print menu.

Briefly: 

cmd-P

click on PDF

select "edit menu"

navigate the finder to the application folder

select Evernote

You can rename this Print Workflow, if you wish, e.g. "Print PDF to Evernote"

That's it. Now you have a new menu option for PDF to Evernote.

------------------

If you don't want a PDF, don't forget that you save an email or webpage to a new note by:

cmd-A. (to select all)

ctrl-cmd-V  (to create a new note)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

This broke recently for me, too. Printing in Firefox, I get an "error in print workflow". In Safari, it appears to work, but no note is created, and if I try again I get "This webpage is trying to print."

This is a rather critical function!

• Level 5
1 hour ago, RobLewis said:

This broke recently for me, too.

Still working for me, except that it's now a bit more tricky to change the name of the function. 

Alternatively, you can always use the Mail function to send to EN:

Create an email address in your Contacts with a catchy name (e.g. called "Evernote Mail") with the address of your unique EN forwarding address. Send the mail here and it will create a new EN note in PDF format.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Guys, why so complicated ?

Set up an Import folder. Save the PDF into that folder. Give it a „good“ file name - it will become the title of the new note.

A second after saving to the Import folder, a new note will show in the client, holding the pdf as attachment. Your client must be running for this. If it was down, it will import right after being started.

• Level 5*

Except that the import folder occasionally has a nasty habit of importing multiple times.  I stopped using it a while ago and either scan directly into Evernote, email to Evernote, or if only a few files, used drag and drop.

• Level 5

Can‘t confirm this as a „nasty habit“. For me a habit means something happens again and again. I had a duplicate import once, last summer. I erased the connection, created a new folder and connected it again. No issue since.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I had a duplicate import once, last summer.

Similar experience here - my usual process is to scan to folder,  edit/ rename as necessary,  then batch-move completed files to the Import Folder.  Once the import is complete,  and since we don't currently have a delete option,  I remove the remaining files since they're a waste of storage and an unnecessary duplication.  (Actually since I'm a 'belt and braces' person they get dumped into an archive folder on an external drive as an extra backup in case of some problem with the note.)  Someone else posted recently that they'd had a duplication recently - I assume it's possibly that the OS does something silly with an archive bit and some files get imported more than once.  It's easy to fix since all the duplicated notes will have a created date that's identical to within a few seconds.

If batch moves are not practical there are third-party folder-watching automations out there that will put files into the Import folder (and/ or remove them) after a given period...  but because I forget,  or I'm just lazy - there have been frequent instances where I carry a stock of imported files in the folder for a while without any duplications.

Since it's possible to have multiple folders importing to different notebooks,  it's IMHO a very useful external automation option.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

For me it was multiple occurrences that occurred over several software versions.  Sometimes it would stop and then it would reappear in a new update.  Recreating the connection didn’t help.  It was frustrating enough that I worked out a work around that does what I need and I stopped using them.  Import folders are very useful and if they are working consistently now then that is good to hear.

• Level 5

Do it yourself: Open the little PDF menu at the bottom of the print dialogue screen. Select the last option "Edit menu". From the following Finder window, go to Applications and select the Evernote app.

The word "Evernote" will appear in the menu positions, as it already doesn't n my screenshot. Using it will create a new note, holding the PDF as attachment.

Bildschirmfoto2024-02-12um11_52_36.png.cbff2c66731eaf0256d771cee045ed9a.png