Edited attachments are not saving and updating in the note

Go to solution Solved by Nick L.,

Before the update I could edit at attachment and after saving it would automatically update on the note. For example, I could open a Word file that was attached to a note and then edit and save it and the attachment would be updated on the note. I could safely quit Word and then come back to the note and attachment later on. When I reopened the attachment it would be exactly as I'd saved it.

After updating I've been having lots of trouble with this. Either the attachments don't save and update on the note, or worse, they save but when you reopen them they're an older version. Twice I've lost a lot of work in Word because of this.

Also, the warning about quitting while attachments are open seems to have disappeared.

• Like 1
  • Solution

You should be able to edit attachments and save them back into Evernote. The exception to this right now is PDF files with Apple Preview. There's a bug open for that one. 
Can you share some activity logs with me? I'll DM you. 

• 1 month later...

With v10,  when making changes to attached documents I'm asked to save it as a new file.  I would then have to manually move back to Evernote.

Having to do this, somewhat defeats the purpose of saving documents in Evernote.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, markdolph said:

With v10,  when making changes to attached documents I'm asked to save it as a new file.  I would then have to manually move back to Evernote.

Having to do this, somewhat defeats the purpose of saving documents in Evernote.  

I agree with that 100%. Let's hope that this is a bug of the new version and that we can expect an upgrade soon.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, markdolph said:

Your post has been merged with an ongoing discussion

I just tested with a Pages document
No problem with updating the document, it saved automatically and updated the note attachment file

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 6:49 PM, Nick L. said:

You should be able to edit attachments and save them back into Evernote. The exception to this right now is PDF files with Apple Preview. There's a bug open for that one. 

I'm using Evernote on a Mac and the exception seems to be pdfs in general.  When I open a pdf attachment with PDFpenPro, changes are not saved to the version of the file which is attached to the note; in fact, PDFpenPro prompts me for a new download location.  Fortunately, Word and Excel attachments still behave as they did before:  changes are saved back to the version of the file which is attached to the note.  

This is a real problem for me as pdf is the predominant format I use for attachments and I long ago began using Evernote as a replacement for the method of storing files provided by the operating system - whether its Windows or OSX.   

I'm glad to hear that this is a "known issue" that is being addressed.  

On 10/15/2020 at 4:49 PM, Nick L. said:

In agreement with @redynstruc it seems to be pdfs in general for me as well.  I frequently use Skim as my annotating pdf program and am running into the same issue.  I can open the pdf from my Evernote, it will open in Skim, and I can make changes and save.  Previously those changes would be saved within the pdf attachment of the Evernote, but now they are only saving into temporary files and no longer appearing if I open the Evernote pdf.  I lost quite a bit before I realized that a change had taken place.  Is there a fix for this moving forward? 

• 1 month later...

I've been using EN Legacy rather than EN 10 because I do a lot of work with pdfs and really need the notes edited with pdfPen Pro (or Preview or whatever) to be saved directly to EN.   

I just checked my copy of EN 10.9 and this functionality is still not there.  Has this bug been fixed?  If so, what do I need to do to make it work on my macOS Version 11.2.3.?

• 2 months later...

I just discovered that the "bug" which did not preserve changes made to attachments which were made with an external editor (for example, changes made to a docx by opening it in Word would not be saved to the attachment, but, rather, a new file saved externally from Evernote) has been fixed!   Thank you Evernote!!!!   This is the single-most important feature in allowing me to use Evernote as a virtual replacement for the file system on my computer. 

• Like 2