Pasting Bulleted Lists from Word into Evernote

• Evernote Expert

This issue was noted by @notetakeingguy in the beta process and continues in version 10.4.3

Take some text which is prepared in Word including bullet points.  Here's an example...

As it appears in Word

THis is some text from a document which has a bulleted list in place.

• First bullet
  • Second item in the list which will be long enough to wrap around a paragraph at the end of the line
  • Third point to make it something

Now here’s a second piece of blank text…

• Fourth point
  • Fifth item in the list
  • Item number 6

Closing text

Copy and paste this into a note in Evernote v10.x

In fact it seems to be pasting all bulleted text. I can copy from these forums and achieve exactly the same.

As it appears when pasted in Evernote 10.x

• First bullet
  • Second item in the list which will be long enough to wrap around a paragraph at the end of the line
  • Fourth point
  • Fifth item in the list
  • Item number 6

Closing text

The bulleted lists are concatenated.

Try it again with one of the lists bulleted and the other numbered...

Word with numbering

• First bullet

1. Fourth point
  2. Fifth item in the list
  3. Item number 6

Closing text

Paste this into Evernote v10 and the numbered section is bumped below the closing text...

Pasted into Evernote with numbering

• First bullet

Closing text

1. Fourth point
  2. Fifth item in the list
  3. Item number 6

Something very buggy pasting lists from Word into Evernote 10...

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5

10.7.6. is not yet announced (if you look for updates from the app, you don’t get it), but if you go to the EN web site, the downloader will send you this release. So it is no beta. I think we will read here in the forum in the next days something official. I installed it yesterday on my Mac, everything o.k.

• 5 months later...

I realize I reported this problem with pasting bulleted text from Microsoft Word to Evernote back in November. Today I was pasting something with nested bullets, and it stil is appearing out of order. I get so frustrated when interacting with Tech Support so I don't think I'll report it, but wanted to post on this thread about it.

• Level 5

AFAIK the bullet list in EN v10 is a one layered list - no nesting. You can’t expect anything you copy to show up in a way the app can’t handle.

If you need your nested structure, attach the word file to the note.

• 4 months later...

You could paste the word text unformatted into EN (In Windows: Shortcut Ctrl + Shift + V).

The result: You will see the bullets in the correct order, but they are added as "text" with no further formating like bold or italics.

The indent / bullet structure, however, is maintained at everything is readable in the correct order.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
12 hours ago, notetakeingguy said:

I thought maybe they had fixed this problem of bullets out of order when pasting, but I am still having this problem.

This issue was fixed back in v10.7 or thereabouts.  It seems to have returned. Thanks to @ghon for the heads up workaround.

I've raised a support ticket.

• Thanks 1
On 11/24/2021 at 5:06 AM, agsteele said:

This issue was fixed back in v10.7 or thereabouts.  It seems to have returned. Thanks to @ghon for the heads up workaround.

I've raised a support ticket.

Thanks for the work around. I will try it out. I also raised a support ticket and they asked me to make a new video of it and provide all this information (all of which took me a long time before). But thank you to you two for acknowledging this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert

I got a response to my ticket on this issue having returned...

The issue you're having with the formatting of your bulleted lists being incorrect when they arrive from Word is also known by engineering

The ticket response says that it is under investigation.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

I doubt they even see it as a problem - if it it tackled it will be as an additional feature.

This is why I doubt it will be tackled. I have a small observation to support this argument: When a list is created in EN, it will make every line of text an object. When you move the mouse pointer over it, 4 dots show at the beginning of the line. This is a handler, the whole line can be moved by dragging it up or down.

This means there is more happening in EN when formatting as a list than just indenting and placing a bullet or number in front. I doubt this can easily be reproduced when instead of choosing the option in the EN editor, a bulleted list is copied as formatted text.

No problem if proven wrong ...

It's just sad you can't take something in Word, the leading word processor, and paste it into Evernote and trust it will be the same.

Here's what Evernote Support just said:

Thank you for taking the time to reach back out.

I understand that you'd like an update surrounding the issue you're experiencing with copying and pasting content from Microsoft Word into Evernote.

I wanted to reach out and let you know that this issue is still open with engineering. I sincerely apologize for the interruption to your workflow and I can assure you that our engineering team is working to prioritize this issue for resolution.

If there's any additional feedback you'd like to provide, or if there's anything else I can do to improve your experience with Evernote, please let me know. I'm here to help.

• Level 5

You expect to be able to copy anything from Word, paste it into EN and it must look the same. Now let us think this til the end:

If they would try to do what you expect, they would need to mimic „the formatting of the worlds leading word processor“ in a simple note taking app.

Don‘t you see how contradictory this expectation is ?

I sincerely hope EN will NOT build these abilities into the EN editor and note formatting options. It would just create another bloated Word clone - and who in the world (maybe except yourself) would need such a Frankenstein app ?

If you want Word formatting, attach a .docx file to a note. And when taking notes enjoy the lean & clean look and feel of the worlds leading note taking app, uncluttered by the word processing features it does not need.

Disclaimer: Just my personal view …

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...