Apple Silicon M1 version of Evernote 10

Fred V.
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

11 hours ago, robfol said:

This is pure ***** on Evernote's part. Every response and every lack of action show they don't give a damn about the Mac.  

And on the M1 in particular, Evernote went out of their way to block use of its iOS app on the M1.  Before they had blocked it, I used it, it worked fine and of course runs natively on the M1.  Until they come up with an M1 version, I'd recommend using the web version and make a shortcut to it on your desktop.  There's also a Mac app called Unite (by BZG) that generates a Progressive Web App of almost any site like Evernote and it runs natively.   Unfortunately it's a paid option but you can use it free for three apps I believe.  

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

It has become quite a standard that the developers go either of 2 ways: Creating the apps for the Mac being „Universal“, which means designed to work on iPad and Mac (M1) from the same code base - or enforcing the use of an iPad-App on the iPad, the use of the Mac app on the Mac.

The app must officially be declared „universal“ to allow it to be installed on both platforms.

Since the mobile and the desktop app use different frameworks, I understand why a developer does not want to support an app that was designed to work on touch devices on a non-touch device like the Mac.

Apple provides plenty of tools to migrate Intel architecture apps to Apple Silicon.   If Evernote architected Mac version is such a way as to make it hard to migrate, then the engineering leaders need to be fired as they ignored Apple guidelines on app development.   We are in year 2021..cross platform is the norm.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Danno321 said:

Apple provides plenty of tools to migrate Intel architecture apps to Apple Silicon.   If Evernote architected Mac version is such a way as to make it hard to migrate, then the engineering leaders need to be fired as they ignored Apple guidelines on app development.   We are in year 2021..cross platform is the norm.  

Danno, Evernote doesn't need Apple's tools to migrate : they have made the new Evernote 10 with a specific cross platform framework called Electron.

They just have to migrate Electron to a new version which handles natively M1 CPU, just like Spotify or other big companies did with great success.

The problem, I think, is that Evernote has probably made tricky things with this framework to try and keep some features in their ugly Evernote 10 and it's not easy to migrate to a new version without risk of making issues on other features.  If they had not made something tricky they could have changed their version of Electron for months now and we would stop complaining about a very bad Evernote 10.

I'm not sure if it will be very good with M1 support but at least it should take less memory !

17 minutes ago, martyscholes said:

Apple switches architectures every 15 years or so. Perhaps EN decided to skip ARM and instead prepare for the next architecture switch in 2035?

Apple gave up on PowerPC because its innovation slowed...Motorola spun off its Fab as Free Scale.   Then Intel became more interested in its stock price so spent its nest egg buying back stock for the last ten years and now we see where that took them...AMD is kicking its arse in technical aspects.   That said X86-64 looks dead longterm.  

• Level 5

If Electron was a bad or a good decision is probably depending on the use cases each user wants to run. Some work pretty good, some are still way to slow, and a number is abandoned altogether. However after going through the first year of v10 releases, I am cautiously positive that my use cases work under EN v10 as well. Some even work better today than before with legacy.

Coming back to the M1 support, this could probably be done quite easily just looking at the Mac app. But having Windows in tow as well in this unified desktop client is probably another ball game.

• Level 5

If you read through the thread you will find many users who agree (I do as well, even while I am running on an Intel Mac), and you will find the steps that EN probably needs to take to make it happen.

I think if it would only be the Mac client, it would have happened already. But they need to switch the windows desktop client to the new framework version as well, which obviously makes the challenge more complex.

Just hope they make the move soon.

i'm starting to use apple notes, as web version of evernote takes a few seconds to load each time you open. and that lag affects your productivity and creativity. would realy help if evernote release a native m1 app soon...

• Level 5

There is no native iOS app any longer - it runs embedded into a framework as well.

You would probably dislike it a lot if this version made it to the Mac. It can handle one note only at any given time - which prevents a lot of power uses, everything that grabs several notes to work on them: Tagging, Moving them around, create Table Of Content etc.

15 hours ago, baronmax said:

Wow!  Tried the legacy app- opens soooo much faster!  Shame its Intel based but silky smooth...

Yes the Legacy application is still very good even if it's not Silicon optimized.

I admit it is a good move from Evernote to keep compatibility with Legacy app but as soon as it won't work anymore for whatever reason (OS upgrade or incompatibility with some features of Evernote), we will have to use the big, slow Evernote 10 app, and I really hope the M1 compatible version will be fast enough to make us forget about the good old times :)

• Level 5
On 1/15/2022 at 11:37 AM, Adam Miller said:

Trying Evernote now. If i cant get a way to open a new note faster, i'll have to go back to a different app. M1 support would probably do it.

I keep the app open continuously, and get a new note in about a second on both imac/intel and macbook/M1. 

What problem are you having?

On 12/1/2021 at 11:32 AM, martyscholes said:

Apple switches architectures every 15 years or so. Perhaps EN decided to skip ARM and instead prepare for the next architecture switch in 2035?

Good strategy !

Slightly off topic but related.  Bought a new MBP M1 Max for my wife (work computer). No migration assistant but fresh install of apps including EN. She has thousands of notes and attachments.  Worked fine and somewhat snappy for the first day or two but now having trouble waking/signing in in the morning where the mac seems to freeze and EN unresponsive and taking up tons of CPU.  

I'm new to EN and how it's structured. With a fresh install of EN and logging in, does it copy down every note... to populate a local database or only when a note is accessed?  If it does replicate a local database, will it continue to do this while the mac is in sleep mode?  I guess what I'm getting at is if EN being unresponsive as well as sluggish be the non-native M1 issue or a combo of that as well as it continuing to try to replicate the database?

Would a better approach have been to try to manually migrate the database from the old mac to new? 

6 hours ago, town said:

Slightly off topic but related.  Bought a new MBP M1 Max for my wife (work computer). No migration assistant but fresh install of apps including EN. She has thousands of notes and attachments.  Worked fine and somewhat snappy for the first day or two but now having trouble waking/signing in in the morning where the mac seems to freeze and EN unresponsive and taking up tons of CPU.  

I'm new to EN and how it's structured. With a fresh install of EN and logging in, does it copy down every note... to populate a local database or only when a note is accessed?  If it does replicate a local database, will it continue to do this while the mac is in sleep mode?  I guess what I'm getting at is if EN being unresponsive as well as sluggish be the non-native M1 issue or a combo of that as well as it continuing to try to replicate the database?

Would a better approach have been to try to manually migrate the database from the old mac to new? 

Mac EN hosts a local copy of the database. A fresh install induces a complete download that can take many days to complete. Consider letting it stay powered up and connected continuously, including overnight, until the sync completes.

@PinkElephant @martyscholesThanks for that.  Have you guys ever just moved/copied the database from one mac to another given it would be quite a bit faster over ethernet or even SSD to SSD if in target mode or something vs downloading? BTW my EN data is not located in users/myuser/applications upport/evernote... I suspect mine is in a different location based on using diff versions of EN over the last 10 years as well as using macOS migration assistant moving from mac to mac.  Mine is located here below. Notice the odd directory structure.

/Users/tomn/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/resource-cache  

@DE manIs there any downside to changing back to legacy EN? For example, my wife and I have shared folders, notes... and also use the iPhone apps. Makes me a bit nervous going to legacy after already moving forward. God forbid we mess up the database... My wife's database must be a least 50GB.

I use Mac M1 at home and Windows PC in the office. And I should point out that Evernote is terribly slow on Windows as well. So I doubt M1 support will resolve speed problems. The Legacy version looks like the only solution, for now.

53 minutes ago, shansen2412 said:

Hell, 

finally I caved and gave the legacy app a try - even though it is INTEL, too - soooooo much faster and better!

@Evernote scrap the damned Electron-App. The performance is just atrocious on any platform :(

I did the same 6 months ago and had the same experience.  The experience is so much better running legacy on both my Mini M1 and Intel i9 macbook pro 16.

• Like 2

Wow, Apple Silicon was available to developers over two years ago and now M1ish users are reverting to the native MacOS x86 app translated by Rosetta2!  If this doesn’t reflect badly on framework decision, I don’t know what will.   Modern development should separated GUI and non-GUI code so it is easier to support new platforms.  MVC (Model, View, Controller) design has been around since the mid 1980s with Smalltalk.  

• Like 3
On 1/31/2022 at 2:39 PM, Sinserli said:

Hi there, 
How to downgrade from v10 to legacy? I'm suffering like all of you with EN running on a M1 pro max....
Thanks for any answer!

I would try Shane's solution with AppCleaner and then clean install of 10.30.  

54 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Please see this update regarding M1/Silicon devices:

Hmm I don't understand your message ?  Where can we download Evernote 10 for M1 ?

I have no problem using Evernote 10 with my M1 but it's slow, it uses too much memory because it uses Rosetta 

Do you mean there is a version of Native Evernote 10 ?

If the update is to tell us that it will soon be available, I feel it's not a good solution at all

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There is only v10 for the Mac, no extra version for M1. The post by EN staff only says that performance should be ok with v10.30, but a clean install must be made, purging all prior installations.

Look up the posting by Shane D (see the post above this one, where it is quoted) for a description of all necessary steps.

1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Please see this update regarding M1/Silicon devices:

I'm sorry Shane but I can't mark your update as a Solution. I have no issue with Evernote 10, i have issue with the fact that Evernote 10 is not a Native Silicon application.

I've been asking for a native version for more than one year now, and i'm sorry but 10.30 is still an Intel application and almost the only Intel application on my computer.

Why can't you make a beta version to have people help you finetuning it ? do you use strange Electron component that prevent using Silicon native ? We will never know but what we know is that Evernote 10 is a quite disappointing application and we would love being happy with it if it could go faster and smarter with native M1  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There is only v10 for the Mac, no extra version for M1. The post by EN staff only says that performance should be ok with v10.30, but a clean install must be made, purging all prior installations.

Look up the posting by Shane D (see the post above this one, where it is quoted) for a description of all necessary steps.

Hmmm I don't understand I need to make a clean install, what I understand is :

"If you are using a M1/Silicon Apple device and are unable to start Evernote, or it continually crashes, please try the general troubleshooting steps below."

My Evernote 10 doesn't crash and opens correctly .. It is just not native and I don't think I will fix that by app cleaning it

I'll wait to see if other users have good performance by doing that before doing it sorry :(

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Fred V. said:

Hmmm I don't understand I need to make a clean install, what I understand is :

My Evernote 10 doesn't crash and opens correctly .. It is just not native and I don't think I will fix that by app cleaning it

There have been questions about performance issues and crashes with running EN Mac on M1 Macs here in the forum and (supposedly) with support.

The posting clearly says "... in case of malfunctions with an M1, do this ...". If you have no malfunction, you are free to run the routine anyhow. But don't expect it to improve anything, and it might even break something that up to now worked. If it is "native" or not - who cares if it works ?

On 7/9/2021 at 11:06 PM, robfol said:

ENv10 is dog slow via Rosetta.

If Adobe can move very complex apps like Photoshop and InDesign to M1 so can Evernote

If Spotify using Electron can release an M1 beta so can Evernote

@PinkElephantStop making excuses for Evernote!

There is no excuse for their slowness, v10 missing features and total lack of communication with their paying users.

What's interesting, is that we are now 8 months later, and still NOTHING from Evernote on when they are going to natively support Apple Silicon. Am I missing something?

• Like 1
On 2/2/2022 at 7:29 PM, PinkElephant said:

There have been questions about performance issues and crashes with running EN Mac on M1 Macs here in the forum and (supposedly) with support.

The posting clearly says "... in case of malfunctions with an M1, do this ...". If you have no malfunction, you are free to run the routine anyhow. But don't expect it to improve anything, and it might even break something that up to now worked. If it is "native" or not - who cares if it works ?

To your question about about "who cares if it works?" Native is always better than through a translation layer like Rosetta2. It requires additional RAM and CPU usage over and above native code. 

On 2/2/2022 at 5:29 PM, PinkElephant said:

If it is "native" or not - who cares if it works ?

That's a fair question. For me, it is too slow under certain circumstances, enough that it disrupts my flow and thought processes. I upgraded this MacBook Pro partly to improve the speed of Evernote. It is better on M1 Pro but not better enough, in my opinion.

On 1/27/2022 at 1:38 PM, frenchjp said:

I did the same 6 months ago and had the same experience.  The experience is so much better running legacy on both my Mini M1 and Intel i9 macbook pro 16.

I did the same the best would be Native M1 of the legacy app...

• Like 1

As a paid user of Evernote, I am extremely disappointed that in the last 20 months, Evernote has been unable to port the code to work on Apple Silicon machines. Can anyone recommend good tool for exporting all of my content from Evernote to another platform where I can retain the format rather than exporting everything as a PDF? I have been so disappointed with the poor advances in the user interface and this is the last straw. I'm done with Evernote. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Reaz said:

As a paid user of Evernote, I am extremely disappointed that in the last 20 months, Evernote has been unable to port the code to work on Apple Silicon machines. Can anyone recommend good tool for exporting all of my content from Evernote to another platform where I can retain the format rather than exporting everything as a PDF? I have been so disappointed with the poor advances in the user interface and this is the last straw. I'm done with Evernote. 

Everything PinkElephant said, plus be very careful that the new environment can handle the load if you have a larger database. I attempted a switch to Apple Notes last year, summarized here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/113738-note-size-limit-increase/?do=findComment&comment=627412

• Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous thread participants: PLEASE come out with a native Apple Silicon version of Evernote already. Get at least the web clipper ported to native for starters, but give us SOMETHING that shows a M1-version is forthcoming. I'm just about out of patience at this point and am seriously considering ditching Evernote. Saying this as a paying customer for many, many years.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

PLEASE will someone explain why they have a problem with EN 10 on an M1 mac! Pleas be specific, rather than just complaining.

I use an 2020 M1 macbook air and a 2017 Intel imac dozens of times every day for my workflow, using the same database. I cannot detect any difference in performance between the two, except that the Intel version loads more slowly. (My test: searching for a pair of words occurring seldom in the 35K+ notes; clicking on a series of 20 notes to see how fast the contents display).

Yes, EN 10+ is slower than EN 7+, but EN 7 is history.

My only small gripe is that the M1 can slow down and run low on RAM if many apps or web pages are open at the same time. The remedy is obvious.

2 hours ago, Peter Olins said:

PLEASE will someone explain why they have a problem with EN 10 on an M1 mac! Pleas be specific, rather than just complaining.

I can share my personal frustration. Far too often, I am mid-thought when writing when I realize I need to see something in a note in a notebook already open on another monitor. I will click on the note to give it focus so I can scroll through the note. When I do not see a response, I click again (sometimes necessary when switching monitors). Usually, Evernote will later register both clicks then spawn a fullscreen window of the note, taking several seconds to render and being completely unresponsive until it finishes rendering. By then I have forgotten what I was trying to do in the first place. I will press CMD-W to get rid of the window I never wanted, go back to the document I was writing, re-orient myself, then go back to Evernote. I find it frustrating.

• Like 1
On 2/20/2022 at 7:38 PM, martyscholes said:

I can share my personal frustration. Far too often, I am mid-thought when writing when I realize I need to see something in a note in a notebook already open on another monitor. I will click on the note to give it focus so I can scroll through the note. When I do not see a response, I click again (sometimes necessary when switching monitors). Usually, Evernote will later register both clicks then spawn a fullscreen window of the note, taking several seconds to render and being completely unresponsive until it finishes rendering. By then I have forgotten what I was trying to do in the first place. I will press CMD-W to get rid of the window I never wanted, go back to the document I was writing, re-orient myself, then go back to Evernote. I find it frustrating.

Very frustrating I do understand you

• Level 5

Probably there will be no "M1 edition". EN needs to update the underlying framework to a newer version, one that works natively with M1s. Since the framework will be used by all desktop clients, it will still be only one edition. And probably this need to touch the underlying "engine" that drives the app slows implementation.

27 minutes ago, gbarry said:

Hello everyone! Wanted to note that our latest release of Mac (10.32.4) is now optimized for M1 / Apple Silicon.

It is a Universal Binary--so running this version on your M1 device should automatically run using the correct architecture. Please let us know if the optimization improves your experience with Evernote (we have seen internal evidence that it increases speeds on M1 devices that had previously reported issues--particularly with start up time) or if you see any new or unexpected issues crop up that you weren't seeing on a previous version of Evernote for Mac.

Great news where can we download this? 

I have 10.28.3-mac-ddl-public (3151)
Editor: v138.1.17456
Service: v1.45.0
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

And it says its up to date.

Thanks 

28 minutes ago, gbarry said:

Hello everyone! Wanted to note that our latest release of Mac (10.32.4) is now optimized for M1 / Apple Silicon.

Wow, what a huge difference! I noticed it immediately! It loads quickly, like it should and navigating in app is snappy too.

I now have a decision to make: I recently migrated ALL my notes from Evernote to Craft. I am loving Craft, and it is half the price of Evernote and a joy to use. Also, Craft is a "native" Mac app and doesn't use "web technologies" like Evernote is now using. Right now I am leaning toward Craft. I don't have to finalize my decision for another 7 or 8 weeks when my EN subscription renewal is due...

Just now, danmills7 said:

Wow, what a huge difference! I noticed it immediately! It loads quickly, like it should and navigating in app is snappy too.

I now have a decision to make: I recently migrated ALL my notes from Evernote to Craft. I am loving Craft, and it is half the price of Evernote and a joy to use. Also, Craft is a "native" Mac app and doesn't use "web technologies" like Evernote is now using. Right now I am leaning toward Craft. I don't have to finalize my decision for another 7 or 8 weeks when my EN subscription renewal is due...

Where is the download please?

39 minutes ago, gbarry said:

It is a Universal Binary--so running this version on your M1 device should automatically run using the correct architecture. Please let us know if the optimization improves your experience with Evernote (we have seen internal evidence that it increases speeds on M1 devices that had previously reported issues--particularly with start up time) or if you see any new or unexpected issues crop up that you weren't seeing on a previous version of Evernote for Mac.

7 minutes ago, danmills7 said:

I got it off the Mac App store.

7 minutes ago, danmills7 said:

This is great now very fast

Just now, sminchy said:

This is a total game-changer! EVERYTHING is much faster! Thank you, Evernote team! Infinitely happier with Evernote on my M1. :)

Really great thanks for fixing this. I just need WhatsApp to be native and were golden!

• Like 1

That's right, it's available now via Mac App Store and as a direct download from our website: https://evernote.com/download

You should also get auto-updated if you are on our website version (or have opted into auto-updates via Mac App Store) over the next several days as we conduct our standard incremental rollout.

Glad you all are seeing improvements!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, gbarry said:

Incredible !

After such a long wait and angry times about Evernote, it is released !

I have tried it and yes, it opens very quickly, seems very good to navigate in notes and even if I still prefer the legacy interface, it works very well. I'll check to see if memory stays lower than with the Intel version but it seems nice and a very good step into switching for good to Evernote 10.

Thanks

• Like 1

I downloaded universal binary from Evernote website this morning.   Every process is marked Apple kind.   Very responsive.   No problems.    Apple has a March 8th event which will continue the march to All Apple Silicon.   MS is moving Windows to ARM using modern SoC.   Intel is radically changing its biz model.    

• Like 1

Credit where credit is due: it took a long while, but I am happy so far with the M1 version of Evernote. Startup is way faster now, makes Evernote SO much more usable. Am very glad, as I was about to jump ship and switch to something else, but was not looking forward to the cumbersome transition process.
One wish remaining: please update the Web Clipper extension for Safari and make it run native, too. Thanks for the work!

Em 25/11/2020 at 04:37, Fred V. disse:

Hello,

to be short and clear, I hate Evernote 10. I can't understand how such a beautiful program can be destroyed by a new version which is so slow and missing features.

But, as I mostly use Legacy version, I want to test the 10 on my new MAcBook Pro with Silicon chip.

The problem is that it seems the newest version of Evernote still isn't universal and still using Rosetta to work on M1 computers. I can't believe we are forced to use a bad tool and while other companies have already converted everything we are still using a Intel compatible version for Evernote.

Please tell me I'm wrong and I've missed the link for a Universal installation of Evernote for M1 chips

Thanks

Fred.

My camera get’s freeze  in Evernote on My iPad Pro 2021 .(M1)

• Level 5

This thread is about M1 Macs, not iPads, and it was resolved with release 10.32, the first "Universal" version of the app.

If you have a problem with your iPad, do not hijack a thread that has nothing to do with your specific problem.

Open a new thread in the subforum for v10 iOS - this is where your question belongs, not here.