Jump to content
  • 10

Apple Silicon M1 version of Evernote 10


Fred V.

Idea

Hello,

to be short and clear, I hate Evernote 10. I can't understand how such a beautiful program can be destroyed by a new version which is so slow and missing features.

But, as I mostly use Legacy version, I want to test the 10 on my new MAcBook Pro with Silicon chip.

The problem is that it seems the newest version of Evernote still isn't universal and still using Rosetta to work on M1 computers. I can't believe we are forced to use a bad tool and while other companies have already converted everything we are still using a Intel compatible version for Evernote.

Please tell me I'm wrong and I've missed the link for a Universal installation of Evernote for M1 chips

Thanks

Fred.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

42 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Level 5

Have you tried installing the iOS version ? Don’t know whether this is allowed by EN, but technically it should work.

With the request that everything must work natively on an M1 from day 1 - do you REALLY think that this must be at the top of the backlog down at EN engineering ? Given the number of issues ALL users have, and the nittybitty number of M1s out in the field, this would be way down on MY list.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0

No I have not tried the iOS, I will try that to see how that works.

I'm sure it's not the priority to be compatible with M1 chips but it's again a proof that Evernote is doing a bad job with this new version : moving to Electron app with slowness and issues may at least have provided a way to have an automatic support of M1. It seems not to be the case...  

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5

Well about the rollout strategy of EN we do not need discuss - quite a mess.

There are other companies around that are quite off the track - I upgraded to BigSur about a week ago, and got notified that my MacUpdate app (supervises the update situation and keeps appr. 60 of my apps up to date) is not yet ready for BigSur. Contacted support, and learned they need another 2-3 month (!) to fix things. And their only use case is to keep everything updated !

So probably it is Rosetta 2 at the moment for you, or try the iOS version.

Link to comment
  • 0
13 hours ago, robfol said:

Now that Microsoft and Adobe are delivering ARM versions of their complex apps for M1 Macs. 

When will we get an ARM Evernote?

That might help the speed problems?

I'm just guessing, but I think it could be several more weeks at least. Native support wasn't added to Electron until a month ago, and there's always a lag in adoption of the latest Electron, not to mention there's often a desire not to adopt the ".0" version. Electron 11.1, for what it's worth, was just released a week ago. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
On 11/25/2020 at 7:55 PM, PinkElephant said:

Well about the rollout strategy of EN we do not need discuss - quite a mess.

There are other companies around that are quite off the track - I upgraded to BigSur about a week ago, and got notified that my MacUpdate app (supervises the update situation and keeps appr. 60 of my apps up to date) is not yet ready for BigSur. Contacted support, and learned they need another 2-3 month (!) to fix things. And their only use case is to keep everything updated !

So probably it is Rosetta 2 at the moment for you, or try the iOS version.

PS try :Macupdater" from Core Code. Lists updates and ARM status 

Link to comment
  • 0
On 11/25/2020 at 2:37 AM, Fred V. said:

Hello,

to be short and clear, I hate Evernote 10. I can't understand how such a beautiful program can be destroyed by a new version which is so slow and missing features.

But, as I mostly use Legacy version, I want to test the 10 on my new MAcBook Pro with Silicon chip.

The problem is that it seems the newest version of Evernote still isn't universal and still using Rosetta to work on M1 computers. I can't believe we are forced to use a bad tool and while other companies have already converted everything we are still using a Intel compatible version for Evernote.

Please tell me I'm wrong and I've missed the link for a Universal installation of Evernote for M1 chips

Thanks

Fred.

So true. A once great program is RUINED. Can't wait to see what destruction goes on next.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5

Blablabla ...

There are plenty other companies that do not have a native ARM app out and running. Apple declares running apps on Rosetta is part of the official transition strategy, it works very well, so no harm done if it takes a little more time.

THIS is not what is bugging us with EN v10 !

Instead of waisting developers capacity to serve a tiny fraction of users currently running an M1 Mac (and able to use Rosetta), I rather expect them to fix what needs to be fixed, and get the stuff all users need on the release ramp.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5

EN 10.6.9 works reasonably well on mac M1, with slightly faster note rendering than 3, 6, 9-year-old Intel mac's.

What, exactly, is the problem you are having?

Optimization for a brand new platform is the least of my concerns.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • 0
1 hour ago, Peter Olins said:

EN 10.6.9 works reasonably well on mac M1, with slightly faster note rendering than 3, 6, 9-year-old Intel mac's.

What, exactly, is the problem you are having?

Optimization for a brand new platform is the least of my concerns.

All operations are SO slow, like working in treacle!

Especially adding files, it can take up to 20 seconds sometimes more for an added file to appear in EN.

V10 is markedly slower than previous versions, sometimes painfully slow, some of that has be to Intel coding

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5
17 hours ago, robfol said:

All operations are SO slow, like working in treacle!

I get a full range of performance from EN 10.6.9: ranging from good (almost as fast as Legacy), all the way to "treacle", to freeze, empty notes, and white screen on startup. I haven't figured out a consistent action associated with this instability, but I have seen a few trends:

Most problems occur immediately after launching the app, so I try to leave the app running as much as possible.

After launching, the app gradually gets better over a period of hours (weird!).

Moving from Legacy to EN 10+ is almost always a disaster, so I try to stay with EN 10+.

 

(mac OS 10.13.6 ..... 11.1)

 

Link to comment
  • 0
20 hours ago, Peter Olins said:

EN 10.6.9 works reasonably well on mac M1, with slightly faster note rendering than 3, 6, 9-year-old Intel mac's.

What, exactly, is the problem you are having?

Optimization for a brand new platform is the least of my concerns.

Yes it may work well with Mac M1 but did you try Evernote Legacy ? The Legacy version as well as the version before 10 is extremely fast, doesn't take 2GB of memory with two notes opened and has all features we liked and we did not want to lose.

I think we all don't want to have a Silicon version just because we want big performance. We just hope that with Silicon native it will be faster. And I really hope that because i would love to be able to use the v10.

Thanks to your message I have seen that 10.6.9 existed (my 10.5 said that there were no new version !) and I discovered that a feature I had requested (lost from Legacy) had been implemented (being able to see .gif >10MB automatically).

I see that developers listen to their users and add good features. But it is still really really slow, using too much memory for small number of notes. Let's hope the Electron framework is able to make things fast and useable. 

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5
2 minutes ago, Fred V. said:

Yes it may work well with Mac M1 but did you try Evernote Legacy ?

The subject of the thread is Apple Silicon M1.

For me, when it's working, EN 10.6.9 runs slightly slower than Legacy on an Intel mac. However, I've had a lot of trouble trying to switch between old/new on the same mac, so I haven't tried Legacy on the M1 mac.

1 hour ago, Fred V. said:

using too much memory

Are you finding that EN affects other apps running at the same time? I don't.

Link to comment
  • 0
31 minutes ago, Peter Olins said:

The subject of the thread is Apple Silicon M1.

For me, when it's working, EN 10.6.9 runs slightly slower than Legacy on an Intel mac. However, I've had a lot of trouble trying to switch between old/new on the same mac, so I haven't tried Legacy on the M1 mac.

Are you finding that EN affects other apps running at the same time? I don't.

The subject of the thread is Apple Silicon M1 ?

Yes I agree, and i'm talking about using Evernote with Apple Silicon M1. And Evernote Legacy works extremely well with M1 and uses around 700MB RAM while Evernote 10 is really slow and begins eating 1.2GB RAM and can end with 2.5GB while working on it !

And yes, I feel it affects other apps running because it eats more than 2GB of memory. 

I have several applications opened on my computer. When I have Chrome, iTunes and a few other tools opened, I don't feel good when Evernote 10 adds 2GB of RAM Usage.

But again, going back to the topic and Silicon M1, what I would love is to see if a Silicon version of Evernote would eat less RAM, be a bit faster and I'd be the happiest user of Evernote.

I love Evernote, i have everything in my Evernote but understand it's hard for me to go from a quick application I use anytime to take small notes  to a big one which seems heavy and slow on the fastest laptop ever made in 2020 :)

Screenshot of memory usage after 10 minutes of having opened Evernote 10 while Legacy was already opened and used 

image.png.41fff076e91db64b64bb661c4a54fe17.png

 

 

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5
9 hours ago, Fred V. said:

But again, going back to the topic and Silicon M1, what I would love is to see if a Silicon version of Evernote would eat less RAM, be a bit faster and I'd be the happiest user of Evernote.

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that the M1 handles memory differently

https://www.macworld.com/article/3597569/m1-macs-memory-isnt-what-it-used-to-be.html

One consequence is that the Activity Monitor can show memory usage of 25 GB total, even with a nominal RAM of 8GB. However, this generates only a low (green) memory pressure. In a quick trial, with MANY apps and pages open, I found it very hard to push the M1 into the yellow zone.

Bottom line, I'm not convinced that the slower performance of EN 10.6.9 versus Legacy is a consequence of insufficient RAM.

On the other hand, a fresh install of EN on a new machine (or downloading offline notes on an iPad) can use a lot of CPU (300-400%) and cause the device to get quite warm until a new database is created—especially with a large database.

Link to comment
  • 0
38 minutes ago, Peter Olins said:

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that the M1 handles memory differently

https://www.macworld.com/article/3597569/m1-macs-memory-isnt-what-it-used-to-be.html

One consequence is that the Activity Monitor can show memory usage of 25 GB total, even with a nominal RAM of 8GB. However, this generates only a low (green) memory pressure. In a quick trial, with MANY apps and pages open, I found it very hard to push the M1 into the yellow zone.

Bottom line, I'm not convinced that the slower performance of EN 10.5.9 versus Legacy is a consequence of insufficient RAM.

On the other hand, a fresh install of EN on a new machine (or downloading offline notes on an iPad) can use a lot of CPU (300-400%) and cause the device to get quite warm until a new database is created—especially with a large database.

Thanks, interesting article.

It's true that on my 8GB M1, I don't feel issue with memory even if there is more than 8 or 10GB used. But if I go further and open too much programs using too much memory, I can feel it badly and everything becomes slower. No miracle even with M1 :)

And I agree too, the fact that Evernote 10 is slower than legacy is not only a memory problem. Just that using more memory is another bad point against this version and this revolution with Evernote moving from native apps to Electron Framework app.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5

The M1 has a very fast SSD, and is swapping memory between RAM and the SSD. Let us just hope that the wear of the SSD cells by the swap does not take its tribute one day. 

The EN app will never return to the level of memory and CPU consumption as when it was natively programmed. Since there are other Electron-based apps that run reasonably well, I believe with some tweaking and tuning EN v10 will finally run in an acceptable range of resources consumption.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 0
On 1/19/2021 at 9:17 PM, PinkElephant said:

The M1 has a very fast SSD, and is swapping memory between RAM and the SSD. Let us just hope that the wear of the SSD cells by the swap does not take its tribute one day. 

The EN app will never return to the level of memory and CPU consumption as when it was natively programmed. Since there are other Electron-based apps that run reasonably well, I believe with some tweaking and tuning EN v10 will finally run in an acceptable range of resources consumption.

I agree.

I have stopped being silly and played a bit more with Evernote 10. Even if I must close it after use to avoid keeping too much memory on this application, I felt it was really better than in the first versions and I'm happy the problems with GIF I had declared are now fixed and this feature is working perfectly as before.

Again, I wish the Silicon version could bring a bit more performance and less memory usage and I'll be almost ready to switch from Legacy to the real one :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, Daniel Shepherd said:

Evernote along with Dropbox are complete resource and process hogs on my M1 Mac.

EN 10.7.6 is working well on my M1 mac, using only a few % of CPU, with only brief small spikes in CPU usage after making a change, so I am in no hurry for a native app—the EN dev's have plenty on their plate IMHO.

Perhaps you recently installed EN on a new machine? If so, you can expect intense EN activity while a fresh database is created—I was running at 300%+ CPU while this process was taking place. This can take a long time: just leave the app open so that it can do its stuff. You can see the size of your database in ~/Library/Application Support.

Likewise, it's plausible that Dropbox has been busy downloading your content.

Link to comment
  • 0

I have been using Evernote on Apple Air M1 and I think I would be using the web version for now as the energy impact is significant. The 12-hour Energy impact in terms of percentage of battery used was 7.89 compared to Safari which had the total impact of 5.83, keeping in mind I had 25+ tabs open.

Link to comment
  • 0

I have been a paid heavy Evernote user for years.  I saw the company try to become much more than a great note taking application and the eventual change in leadership.  Anyway, I loved the previous version.  Bought an M1 8 GB and literally to return it as individual evernote helper renderers were between 100s MB to over 2 GB each.  This is reproducible.  It's way worse than chrome or Microsoft.  If it doesn't improve soon.  I'll migrate to something else.  Thanks for suggestion to use iOS.  Any other thoughts?

1244583280_2021-03-11_07-36-52(1).png.81fd0d917ca3e59a99a7c8e905241711.png

Link to comment
  • 0
On 4/11/2021 at 4:15 PM, frenchjp said:

I have been a paid heavy Evernote user for years.  I saw the company try to become much more than a great note taking application and the eventual change in leadership.  Anyway, I loved the previous version.  Bought an M1 8 GB and literally to return it as individual evernote helper renderers were between 100s MB to over 2 GB each.  This is reproducible.  It's way worse than chrome or Microsoft.  If it doesn't improve soon.  I'll migrate to something else.  Thanks for suggestion to use iOS.  Any other thoughts?

1244583280_2021-03-11_07-36-52(1).png.81fd0d917ca3e59a99a7c8e905241711.png

Same for me, I'm still waiting for a M1 optimized version to hope for less memory usage. Not sure it works though.

In the meantime, you can try Evernote Legacy : it is not optimized for M1 but way better on memory usage and with all the good old Evernote features :)

I'm still using it and having it opened all time it still is below 1GB memory (while Evernote 10 grows to 2GB in less than 4 hours of usage)

Link to comment
  • 0

I have an M1 Macbook Air and an M1 Mac Mini... both of which typically have Evernote open and running on a space at all times.  While I have never gone in to look at the system resources you are grabbing screenshots of, as a user, I have never noted any bit of slowness or performance issues on the M1 with Evernote running.  I am sure the numbers above are useful if you are trying to diagnose a problem, but if the system runs fine, why worry about it.  

Just posting this in case there are any Evernote users worried about upgrading to M1... as I have had absolutely no issues.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
2 hours ago, aukirk said:

I have an M1 Macbook Air and an M1 Mac Mini... both of which typically have Evernote open and running on a space at all times.  While I have never gone in to look at the system resources you are grabbing screenshots of, as a user, I have never noted any bit of slowness or performance issues on the M1 with Evernote running.  I am sure the numbers above are useful if you are trying to diagnose a problem, but if the system runs fine, why worry about it.  

Just posting this in case there are any Evernote users worried about upgrading to M1... as I have had absolutely no issues.

You're right, it works fine. And i'm sure the M1 are the best to make the new Evernote work fine.

But if all programs use as much memory it may begin to make the computer very slow.

Chrome is using too much memory, Evernote too, if you have Photos / Music, Spotify and some other always-opened programs, you will see that all the memory is used and the computer is swapping. On very fast SSD drivers, but it is swapping.

We can see that many programs created for Silicon chips use less memory and are blazing fast. Too bad it's not the case for Evernote right now... 

Link to comment
  • 0

Evernote 10 works fine on Apple Silicon powered Macs. But "fine" is not enough for such an application as to me. We run Evernote all day long, we need fast access to our content, responsive UI, and, let's say, satisfaction from the application. Usually, it is part of our productivity flows, and right now, it does not feel productive.

I use a few other applications built on top of Electron (like Visual Studio Code, GitHub Desktop), and they work/perform much better (and already provide native Apple Silicon support).

I want to believe that Evernote is working on it. Count me in for any betas you have.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • 0

I'm not installing EN until it is native to Apple Silicon (not planning on using Rosetta as I read about increasing memory swapping and all that), I read here that in the mean time we can use the EN iOS version, anyone knows how I can install the iOS version? As I cannot find it in the App Store under iPad / iPhone apps

Link to comment
  • 0

Evernote still crashes contanstly on a daily (2-5times a day) basis on my M1 mac.

There are some other companies that are not able to provide an ARM app like dropbox. Do you know what happened there? In the community forum a lot of people wrote that they canceled the subscription. Guess what will be the next steps for me if evernote cann not provide an M1 app that does't use so much ressources and that doesn't crash on a daily base? correct guess, I will cancel my subscription.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
3 minutes ago, BlaBlaxyz said:

Evernote still crashes contanstly on a daily (2-5times a day) basis on my M1 mac.

There are some other companies that are not able to provide an ARM app like dropbox. Do you know what happened there? In the community forum a lot of people wrote that they canceled the subscription. Guess what will be the next steps for me if evernote cann not provide an M1 app that does't use so much ressources and that doesn't crash on a daily base? correct guess, I will cancel my subscription.

Don't blame you. To be honest the app doesn't run much better on Intel, i've seen the same bugs on both. A lot of the time I get totally blank notes and I have to close and reopen it.

Lot's more M1 Macs out now, and more Apple Silicon on the way and still Evernote and Dropbox can't get their act together.

Link to comment
  • 0

I don't remeber to have so many crashes on my Intel mac - but yes, I had some crashes 1-2 times a week. Now they are on my M1 on a daily base. In this case it is even worse, if this bugs are on both platforms like this.

 

 

Link to comment
  • 0

I was starting to write a bug report to complain about the lack of a Native or Universal version of Evernote on Apple M1, but it seems like the latest Evernote release is performing much better -- even through it's still an Intel bundle. Previously (just minutes ago), I was ranting about how horrible the app is, but it actually is getting back to usable...

10.15.6-mac-ddl-public (2680)
Editor: v125.1.16140
Service: v1.36.3

I still find it a bit sluggish, but at least it's slightly improved. If only they would have a Universal or Silicon release... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0

If Adobe can go M1 with their fiendishly complex App Ecosystem, surely Evernote can?

10.15.6 is still sluggish especially when adding content

Link to comment
  • 0
6 hours ago, jparsons said:

I was starting to write a bug report to complain about the lack of a Native or Universal version of Evernote on Apple M1, but it seems like the latest Evernote release is performing much better -- even through it's still an Intel bundle. Previously (just minutes ago), I was ranting about how horrible the app is, but it actually is getting back to usable...

10.15.6-mac-ddl-public (2680)
 

I still find it a bit sluggish, but at least it's slightly improved. If only they would have a Universal or Silicon release... 

I have tested it and it's the same for me, still slow and still unusable compared to Evernote Legacy ...

I'm still looking for a replacement for Evernote but it's not easy .. It was the best note tool, it still is the best note tool with Evernote Legacy, I still love it and I just hope improvement with M1 version may make it more usable .. 

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5
On 6/10/2021 at 11:54 PM, Fred V. said:

I have tested it and it's the same for me, still slow and still unusable...

I'm using EN on an M1 Macbook Air many times each day, without a noticeable problem with speed, and similar to EN on a 2017 iMac.

Perhaps you could describe your workflow in more detail? How long has your app+database been installed?

Have you approached tech support? It's important to separate out specific issues with one's installation/workflow versus inherent limitations in the software/platform.

[EN 10.15.6, OSX 11.2.3

35,000 notes—largely PDF files; 17 GB EN database ]

Link to comment
  • 0
2 hours ago, Peter Olins said:

I'm using EN on an M1 Macbook Air many times each day, without a noticeable problem with speed, and similar to EN on a 2017 iMac.

Perhaps you could describe your workflow in more detail? How long has your app+database been installed?

Have you approached tech support? It's important to separate out specific issues with one's installation/workflow versus inherent limitations in the software/platform.

[EN 10.15.6, OSX 11.2.3

35,000 notes—largely PDF files; 17 GB EN database ]

Hello,

I've been working with Evernote for more than 10 years, I have 12000 notes with many screenshots and gif videos.

I use it for everything and i love Evernote. I'm making notes about games, movies or almost anything, with picture screenshots and small videos made with gif.

When I have an old Evernote Legacy, I can easily switch between notes, add data, modify, sync, everything is really quick and nice and synced on the web or on the Windows version I have. That's great. Using 1GB memory for an application opened during several days on my laptop.

With the newest Evernote, I can open it and navigate in my notes, that's ok. Slower but ok. But after 1 hour of usage it uses 2GB of RAM and it keeps on eating memory. I can't choose the same fonts as before, I can't format exactly like before. I can't believe a working application was transformed that way and that 6 months after the release of M1 chips, Evernote is still one of the very rare remaining application without any support that could make it better.

The support has already helped me adding a feature for animated gif and I'm happy about that but they can't help making Silicon version of their bad framework...

Don't think I don't like Evernote, I love it, that's why I'm still using it and I would love to see it working as before. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
  • 0

As far as I can see, none of the Mac electron apps are running native on M1. The big two being Evernote and Spotify. Many people are not fans of Electron based apps anyway. Effectively it’s like running an entire version of Chrome for one app. The massive file sizes and ram hogging comes with it.

Even running on Intel Mac id have notes all go blank and require a relaunch. Same bug on M1 as well as force relaunches. The one thing the Electron based app gives us is smooth scrolling on notes with lots of images, like the web based version, the legacy app was woeful for that.

Their grand vision for unifying apps hasn’t really worked though. Having an app that doesn’t compile in Xcode anymore means you can just recompile for Apple Silicon. Whilst electron have updated to v11 with AS support there must be a lot of changes in the code as none of the big apps have updated to the framework.

Link to comment
  • 0
On 6/16/2021 at 6:05 PM, Daniel Shepherd said:

As far as I can see, none of the Mac electron apps are running native on M1. The big two being Evernote and Spotify.

It's true that several big-name Electron-based apps are not yet M1-native, but several are. To name just a few:

  • Typora
  • Slack
  • VS Code
  • Github Desktop
  • Wordpress Desktop

So clearly it's possible to do, but Evernote doesn't particularly stand out as a laggard just yet. Hopefully more apps (including Evernote and other Electron-based apps) get optimized soon.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...