Apple Silicon M1 version of Evernote 10

Fred V.

Idea

Hello,

to be short and clear, I hate Evernote 10. I can't understand how such a beautiful program can be destroyed by a new version which is so slow and missing features.

But, as I mostly use Legacy version, I want to test the 10 on my new MAcBook Pro with Silicon chip.

The problem is that it seems the newest version of Evernote still isn't universal and still using Rosetta to work on M1 computers. I can't believe we are forced to use a bad tool and while other companies have already converted everything we are still using a Intel compatible version for Evernote.

Please tell me I'm wrong and I've missed the link for a Universal installation of Evernote for M1 chips

Thanks

Fred.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Have you tried installing the iOS version ? Don’t know whether this is allowed by EN, but technically it should work.

With the request that everything must work natively on an M1 from day 1 - do you REALLY think that this must be at the top of the backlog down at EN engineering ? Given the number of issues ALL users have, and the nittybitty number of M1s out in the field, this would be way down on MY list.

• Like 1

No I have not tried the iOS, I will try that to see how that works.

I'm sure it's not the priority to be compatible with M1 chips but it's again a proof that Evernote is doing a bad job with this new version : moving to Electron app with slowness and issues may at least have provided a way to have an automatic support of M1. It seems not to be the case...  

• Level 5

Well about the rollout strategy of EN we do not need discuss - quite a mess.

There are other companies around that are quite off the track - I upgraded to BigSur about a week ago, and got notified that my MacUpdate app (supervises the update situation and keeps appr. 60 of my apps up to date) is not yet ready for BigSur. Contacted support, and learned they need another 2-3 month (!) to fix things. And their only use case is to keep everything updated !

So probably it is Rosetta 2 at the moment for you, or try the iOS version.

13 hours ago, robfol said:

Now that Microsoft and Adobe are delivering ARM versions of their complex apps for M1 Macs. 

When will we get an ARM Evernote?

That might help the speed problems?

I'm just guessing, but I think it could be several more weeks at least. Native support wasn't added to Electron until a month ago, and there's always a lag in adoption of the latest Electron, not to mention there's often a desire not to adopt the ".0" version. Electron 11.1, for what it's worth, was just released a week ago. 

• Like 1
On 11/25/2020 at 7:55 PM, PinkElephant said:

Well about the rollout strategy of EN we do not need discuss - quite a mess.

There are other companies around that are quite off the track - I upgraded to BigSur about a week ago, and got notified that my MacUpdate app (supervises the update situation and keeps appr. 60 of my apps up to date) is not yet ready for BigSur. Contacted support, and learned they need another 2-3 month (!) to fix things. And their only use case is to keep everything updated !

So probably it is Rosetta 2 at the moment for you, or try the iOS version.

PS try :Macupdater" from Core Code. Lists updates and ARM status 

On 11/25/2020 at 2:37 AM, Fred V. said:

Hello,

to be short and clear, I hate Evernote 10. I can't understand how such a beautiful program can be destroyed by a new version which is so slow and missing features.

But, as I mostly use Legacy version, I want to test the 10 on my new MAcBook Pro with Silicon chip.

The problem is that it seems the newest version of Evernote still isn't universal and still using Rosetta to work on M1 computers. I can't believe we are forced to use a bad tool and while other companies have already converted everything we are still using a Intel compatible version for Evernote.

Please tell me I'm wrong and I've missed the link for a Universal installation of Evernote for M1 chips

Thanks

Fred.

So true. A once great program is RUINED. Can't wait to see what destruction goes on next.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Blablabla ...

There are plenty other companies that do not have a native ARM app out and running. Apple declares running apps on Rosetta is part of the official transition strategy, it works very well, so no harm done if it takes a little more time.

THIS is not what is bugging us with EN v10 !

Instead of waisting developers capacity to serve a tiny fraction of users currently running an M1 Mac (and able to use Rosetta), I rather expect them to fix what needs to be fixed, and get the stuff all users need on the release ramp.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN 10.6.9 works reasonably well on mac M1, with slightly faster note rendering than 3, 6, 9-year-old Intel mac's.

What, exactly, is the problem you are having?

Optimization for a brand new platform is the least of my concerns.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Peter Olins said:

EN 10.6.9 works reasonably well on mac M1, with slightly faster note rendering than 3, 6, 9-year-old Intel mac's.

All operations are SO slow, like working in treacle!

Especially adding files, it can take up to 20 seconds sometimes more for an added file to appear in EN.

V10 is markedly slower than previous versions, sometimes painfully slow, some of that has be to Intel coding

• Level 5
17 hours ago, robfol said:

All operations are SO slow, like working in treacle!

I get a full range of performance from EN 10.6.9: ranging from good (almost as fast as Legacy), all the way to "treacle", to freeze, empty notes, and white screen on startup. I haven't figured out a consistent action associated with this instability, but I have seen a few trends:

Most problems occur immediately after launching the app, so I try to leave the app running as much as possible.

After launching, the app gradually gets better over a period of hours (weird!).

Moving from Legacy to EN 10+ is almost always a disaster, so I try to stay with EN 10+.

(mac OS 10.13.6 ..... 11.1)

20 hours ago, Peter Olins said:

Yes it may work well with Mac M1 but did you try Evernote Legacy ? The Legacy version as well as the version before 10 is extremely fast, doesn't take 2GB of memory with two notes opened and has all features we liked and we did not want to lose.

I think we all don't want to have a Silicon version just because we want big performance. We just hope that with Silicon native it will be faster. And I really hope that because i would love to be able to use the v10.

Thanks to your message I have seen that 10.6.9 existed (my 10.5 said that there were no new version !) and I discovered that a feature I had requested (lost from Legacy) had been implemented (being able to see .gif >10MB automatically).

I see that developers listen to their users and add good features. But it is still really really slow, using too much memory for small number of notes. Let's hope the Electron framework is able to make things fast and useable. 

• Level 5
2 minutes ago, Fred V. said:

Yes it may work well with Mac M1 but did you try Evernote Legacy ?

The subject of the thread is Apple Silicon M1.

For me, when it's working, EN 10.6.9 runs slightly slower than Legacy on an Intel mac. However, I've had a lot of trouble trying to switch between old/new on the same mac, so I haven't tried Legacy on the M1 mac.

1 hour ago, Fred V. said:

using too much memory

Are you finding that EN affects other apps running at the same time? I don't.

31 minutes ago, Peter Olins said:

The subject of the thread is Apple Silicon M1.

For me, when it's working, EN 10.6.9 runs slightly slower than Legacy on an Intel mac. However, I've had a lot of trouble trying to switch between old/new on the same mac, so I haven't tried Legacy on the M1 mac.

Are you finding that EN affects other apps running at the same time? I don't.

The subject of the thread is Apple Silicon M1 ?

Yes I agree, and i'm talking about using Evernote with Apple Silicon M1. And Evernote Legacy works extremely well with M1 and uses around 700MB RAM while Evernote 10 is really slow and begins eating 1.2GB RAM and can end with 2.5GB while working on it !

And yes, I feel it affects other apps running because it eats more than 2GB of memory. 

I have several applications opened on my computer. When I have Chrome, iTunes and a few other tools opened, I don't feel good when Evernote 10 adds 2GB of RAM Usage.

But again, going back to the topic and Silicon M1, what I would love is to see if a Silicon version of Evernote would eat less RAM, be a bit faster and I'd be the happiest user of Evernote.

I love Evernote, i have everything in my Evernote but understand it's hard for me to go from a quick application I use anytime to take small notes  to a big one which seems heavy and slow on the fastest laptop ever made in 2020 :)

Screenshot of memory usage after 10 minutes of having opened Evernote 10 while Legacy was already opened and used 

image.png.41fff076e91db64b64bb661c4a54fe17.png

• Level 5
9 hours ago, Fred V. said:

But again, going back to the topic and Silicon M1, what I would love is to see if a Silicon version of Evernote would eat less RAM, be a bit faster and I'd be the happiest user of Evernote.

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that the M1 handles memory differently

https://www.macworld.com/article/3597569/m1-macs-memory-isnt-what-it-used-to-be.html

One consequence is that the Activity Monitor can show memory usage of 25 GB total, even with a nominal RAM of 8GB. However, this generates only a low (green) memory pressure. In a quick trial, with MANY apps and pages open, I found it very hard to push the M1 into the yellow zone.

Bottom line, I'm not convinced that the slower performance of EN 10.6.9 versus Legacy is a consequence of insufficient RAM.

On the other hand, a fresh install of EN on a new machine (or downloading offline notes on an iPad) can use a lot of CPU (300-400%) and cause the device to get quite warm until a new database is created—especially with a large database.

38 minutes ago, Peter Olins said:

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that the M1 handles memory differently

https://www.macworld.com/article/3597569/m1-macs-memory-isnt-what-it-used-to-be.html

One consequence is that the Activity Monitor can show memory usage of 25 GB total, even with a nominal RAM of 8GB. However, this generates only a low (green) memory pressure. In a quick trial, with MANY apps and pages open, I found it very hard to push the M1 into the yellow zone.

Bottom line, I'm not convinced that the slower performance of EN 10.5.9 versus Legacy is a consequence of insufficient RAM.

On the other hand, a fresh install of EN on a new machine (or downloading offline notes on an iPad) can use a lot of CPU (300-400%) and cause the device to get quite warm until a new database is created—especially with a large database.

Thanks, interesting article.

It's true that on my 8GB M1, I don't feel issue with memory even if there is more than 8 or 10GB used. But if I go further and open too much programs using too much memory, I can feel it badly and everything becomes slower. No miracle even with M1 :)

And I agree too, the fact that Evernote 10 is slower than legacy is not only a memory problem. Just that using more memory is another bad point against this version and this revolution with Evernote moving from native apps to Electron Framework app.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The M1 has a very fast SSD, and is swapping memory between RAM and the SSD. Let us just hope that the wear of the SSD cells by the swap does not take its tribute one day. 

The EN app will never return to the level of memory and CPU consumption as when it was natively programmed. Since there are other Electron-based apps that run reasonably well, I believe with some tweaking and tuning EN v10 will finally run in an acceptable range of resources consumption.

• Like 2
On 1/19/2021 at 9:17 PM, PinkElephant said:

The M1 has a very fast SSD, and is swapping memory between RAM and the SSD. Let us just hope that the wear of the SSD cells by the swap does not take its tribute one day. 

The EN app will never return to the level of memory and CPU consumption as when it was natively programmed. Since there are other Electron-based apps that run reasonably well, I believe with some tweaking and tuning EN v10 will finally run in an acceptable range of resources consumption.

I agree.

I have stopped being silly and played a bit more with Evernote 10. Even if I must close it after use to avoid keeping too much memory on this application, I felt it was really better than in the first versions and I'm happy the problems with GIF I had declared are now fixed and this feature is working perfectly as before.

Again, I wish the Silicon version could bring a bit more performance and less memory usage and I'll be almost ready to switch from Legacy to the real one :)

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, Daniel Shepherd said:

Evernote along with Dropbox are complete resource and process hogs on my M1 Mac.

EN 10.7.6 is working well on my M1 mac, using only a few % of CPU, with only brief small spikes in CPU usage after making a change, so I am in no hurry for a native app—the EN dev's have plenty on their plate IMHO.

Perhaps you recently installed EN on a new machine? If so, you can expect intense EN activity while a fresh database is created—I was running at 300%+ CPU while this process was taking place. This can take a long time: just leave the app open so that it can do its stuff. You can see the size of your database in ~/Library/Application Support.

Likewise, it's plausible that Dropbox has been busy downloading your content.

I have been using Evernote on Apple Air M1 and I think I would be using the web version for now as the energy impact is significant. The 12-hour Energy impact in terms of percentage of battery used was 7.89 compared to Safari which had the total impact of 5.83, keeping in mind I had 25+ tabs open.

I have been a paid heavy Evernote user for years.  I saw the company try to become much more than a great note taking application and the eventual change in leadership.  Anyway, I loved the previous version.  Bought an M1 8 GB and literally to return it as individual evernote helper renderers were between 100s MB to over 2 GB each.  This is reproducible.  It's way worse than chrome or Microsoft.  If it doesn't improve soon.  I'll migrate to something else.  Thanks for suggestion to use iOS.  Any other thoughts?

1244583280_2021-03-11_07-36-52(1).png.81fd0d917ca3e59a99a7c8e905241711.png

On 4/11/2021 at 4:15 PM, frenchjp said:

I have been a paid heavy Evernote user for years.  I saw the company try to become much more than a great note taking application and the eventual change in leadership.  Anyway, I loved the previous version.  Bought an M1 8 GB and literally to return it as individual evernote helper renderers were between 100s MB to over 2 GB each.  This is reproducible.  It's way worse than chrome or Microsoft.  If it doesn't improve soon.  I'll migrate to something else.  Thanks for suggestion to use iOS.  Any other thoughts?

1244583280_2021-03-11_07-36-52(1).png.81fd0d917ca3e59a99a7c8e905241711.png

Same for me, I'm still waiting for a M1 optimized version to hope for less memory usage. Not sure it works though.

In the meantime, you can try Evernote Legacy : it is not optimized for M1 but way better on memory usage and with all the good old Evernote features :)

I'm still using it and having it opened all time it still is below 1GB memory (while Evernote 10 grows to 2GB in less than 4 hours of usage)

I have an M1 Macbook Air and an M1 Mac Mini... both of which typically have Evernote open and running on a space at all times.  While I have never gone in to look at the system resources you are grabbing screenshots of, as a user, I have never noted any bit of slowness or performance issues on the M1 with Evernote running.  I am sure the numbers above are useful if you are trying to diagnose a problem, but if the system runs fine, why worry about it.  

Just posting this in case there are any Evernote users worried about upgrading to M1... as I have had absolutely no issues.

2 hours ago, aukirk said:

I have an M1 Macbook Air and an M1 Mac Mini... both of which typically have Evernote open and running on a space at all times.  While I have never gone in to look at the system resources you are grabbing screenshots of, as a user, I have never noted any bit of slowness or performance issues on the M1 with Evernote running.  I am sure the numbers above are useful if you are trying to diagnose a problem, but if the system runs fine, why worry about it.  

Just posting this in case there are any Evernote users worried about upgrading to M1... as I have had absolutely no issues.

You're right, it works fine. And i'm sure the M1 are the best to make the new Evernote work fine.

But if all programs use as much memory it may begin to make the computer very slow.

Chrome is using too much memory, Evernote too, if you have Photos / Music, Spotify and some other always-opened programs, you will see that all the memory is used and the computer is swapping. On very fast SSD drivers, but it is swapping.

We can see that many programs created for Silicon chips use less memory and are blazing fast. Too bad it's not the case for Evernote right now...