Version 10 and Privacy

Hello- Thank you for your help with this.

I'm not an Evernote power user but am committed to trying to use Evernote 10. One thing I've noticed is that when I create a new Notebook, I'm no longer given the local option. Question is: What does this mean for privacy and search ability of my personal information? Is Evernote information now public, searchable, and should be considered insecure and public? How is Evernote now using all notebook Data since there are no longer any local Notebooks?

Where can I find information from Evernote on how people's notes are indexed, accessed, etc?

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, wphall said:

But still curious about the lack of Local Notebooks. I'm not entirely sure what this means for privacy. I took comfort knowing some notebooks were not online.

It's my understanding that the lack of local notebooks is being spruiked as a feature, not a bug.  As far as whether or not you're comfortable with having some information managed by Evernote as a SaaS platform rather than being able to control it yourself locally, that'll be something you'll need to decide for yourself based on your comfort level.  I haven't bothered with running any notebooks locally, and have everything synched to cloud, but your risk appetite will be different to mine.

You could also run "Legacy" (6.x), which I think still allows local notebooks.  But that's a bit of a dead end, and is not being supported into the future.  I'd suggest if you really want your data only held locally, you'll need to seek another solution than EN.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Big Trev said:

It's my understanding that the lack of local notebooks is being spruiked as a feature, not a bug. 

I wouldn't say feature; however this was by design    
Local notebooks can not be supported with the new server based processing

>>I'd suggest if you really want your data only held locally, you'll need to seek another solution than EN.

I could move my attachment files out of Evernote, and replace them with a file link   
Note: There's currently a bug in Version 10 with assigning file links - no timeline for a fix

• Level 5

There are not many note / document finding app options out there with local storage. Most are based on a web based design (the hyped Notion and Nimbus do it, as many others) which is syncing what you feed.

Apple Notes has an option for local storage („on this device“) instead of iCloud. For DEVONthink installs completely local, with an option to sync through iCloud.

Hello All-

Thanks for the info and recommendations. Guess my question was more along the lines of: Is this the local option coming back and I'm reading a resounding: No 😀. I don't really mind the version 10 update since I'm not a power user (just basic note taking and organization). But EN should have notified users that what was local is now automatically in the cloud. I plan in still using EN but some things will be moved off Evernote. I also agree with the comment that most all of these solutions are not local.

Thanks!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There are not many note / document finding app options out there with local storage. Most are based on a web based design (the hyped Notion and Nimbus do it, as many others) which is syncing what you feed.

Nimbus supports Local notebooks.  Other issues perhaps, but not this one.